Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman (new52) can now live in the sun

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By redwingx
    No Caption Provided

Not sure if he has shown this feat before in the new52 but here it is.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

He always could. He even stayed for 100.000 years in Pre-52 "DC One Million".

Only All Star Superman couldn't.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By redwingx

@squalleon said:

Even in the new52?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And again DAT Superman image!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

@squalleon said:

Even in the new52?

I meant that it wasn't something new, it has been done before. In New 52 while he hasn't sun-dipped he has stayed in front of the sun, to recharge, something that killed All Star Superman as we know.

Anyway the normal is that he can sun-dip, until proven otherwise.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@squalleon: All-Star Superman didn't die. He evolved.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don’t know about “can live in the Sun”, but this is one more indirect confirmation that New-52 Superman is capable of full submerge sun-dipping imo.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Squalleon

@night4345 said:

@squalleon: All-Star Superman didn't die. He evolved.

He was overcharged and then he "died".It was Luthor's plan from the beginning. It was explained thoroughly in the first issue.

The whole series is about Superman's last days how can you miss something like that?

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: He thought it was his last days until Jor-El told him what was happening to him. The appearance of the Superman Squad and Superman Prime showed that he wouldn't die. Superman left to fix the sun as his body finished it's evolution.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Squalleon

@night4345 said:

@squalleon: He thought it was his last days until Jor-El told him what was happening to him. The appearance of the Superman Squad and Superman Prime showed that he wouldn't die. Superman left to fix the sun as his body finished it's evolution.

We don't know what happened and made him Superman Prime. Going by panel to panel explanation he became pure energy and "died". What happened after that is unknown and we can only make assumptions.
    Also Jor-El said to him, "Your body is undergoing a conversion to solar radio-consiousness. Matter, energy these things cannot be destroyed, nor can consiousness, after BODILY death, individual awareness persists for a while and builds for itself thought-palaces or complex hell's to inhabit, here is a choice to remain in the field of fluid consiousness or return to the living and face evil one more time". And before that Jor-El told him he was already dead.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Thank Batman.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never was a fan of sun-dipping, it sounds too much like a potential deus ex machina.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

Never was a fan of sun-dipping, it sounds too much like a potential deus ex machina.

You mean like Wolverine's healing factor and unbreakable skeleton? Or Batman's utility belt? Or Hulk's "unlimited" rage?

Almost every character has an ace in the hole trait or ability. Wonder Woman has her "God Mode". X-Man has his astral form. Superman has his sun-dipping.

So long as it isn't used as plot armor, a very fine line to be sure, there's really nothing wrong with em. A deus ex machina introduced at the proper time can be damn good storytelling.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor: Wolverine and Batman always have those on them, though, and is their main ability. It is expected and referenced throughout the story by both writers and characters. However, Superman's sun dipping seems random. What's the point of having these close and tense fights with his enemies when you know that a single sundip would typically win it, for example. It's probably just a nitpick of mine, but it's probably one of the few things I don't like about the man of steel. As you said, deus ex machinas can good at times, but I find there are better ones than sundipping.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@reactor: Wolverine and Batman always have those on them, though, and is their main ability. It is expected and referenced throughout the story by both writers and characters.

You're missing the point. It's a trait that can effectively become a deus ex machina. That was your concern.

However, Superman's sun dipping seems random.

Not at all, it's an extreme measure. The sun is and always has been the prime source of his power - it's actually a very natural and sensible source for such a power-up.

What's the point of having these close and tense fights with his enemies when you know that a single sundip would typically win it, for example.

Sun-dipping isn't a win-all, it's an all-out. There are some foes that are simply in another class than Superman, individuals he can't muscle through. The off-side of it, as strongly implied when depicted by his quasi-sundip by Apollo, Superman can't fully control the power he gets. In fact, he was so terrified by it, he started doing everything he could to drain his power, out of fear of his (potentially) uncontrollable destructive potential.

By the same token, ask yourself; what's the point of Wolverine being in a deathmatch when he cannot die? He can be nuked down to the unbreakable bones in his body, and still regenerate. Unless a special plot is designated with the sole intent of killing him (opposite of plot armor; plot bullet?), he is essentially invincible.

Again, ask yourself; what's the point of Batman being in a deathmatch when you know, in the end, he will simply outsmart, outfight or pull a nifty new gadget out to defeat his opponent? In fact, Batman's record of doing the impossible is so far gone, he's his own meme in this regard.

Ask yourself; what's the point of Nathan Grey being in a deathmatch when he is psionically immortal? No matter what damage is done to his body, he can never die, and his natural, un-amplified mind is of such power, only a psionic cosmic entity can match it. In all practical effect, he is completely invulnerable and invincible.

And finally, ask yourself; what's the point of the Hulk being in a deathmatch when you know he can tap into a rage that will effectively grant him an unlimited source of strength? Not only that, that strength increases exponentially simply by his getting angrier. He has overpowered all manner of foes, and even when he's been taking the beating, he can regenerate from almost literally anything. He can out-muscle almost anything, and what he can't, he can simply heal from the damage it inflicts, and keep on truckin'. He is essentially unstoppable.

It's probably just a nitpick of mine, but it's probably one of the few things I don't like about the man of steel. As you said, deus ex machinas can good at times, but I find there are better ones than sundipping.

I figured that. Nothing against your opinion, but if the concept of "sun-dipping" bothered you, there was much more behind your agenda that him simply having access to a power-up. As I attempted to relay, almost all characters have a power or trait that makes them, potentially, walking plot devices, regardless of whether it is a common trait or a rarely accessed power. You may not like the sun-dipping concept, and that's fine - nobody will hold that against ya. But you're kidding yourself if you think it's something that makes Superman "cheaper" than several dozen popular superheroes out there who have the same respective deus ex machina.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In most recent versions he always could.

True that the all-star superman went through that transformation, that led him to believe he was dying. But even that version of Superman would one day return, after all he was the progenitor of the superman dynastie.

The main difference in the New 52 Superman is that he no longer gets supercharged, after all he said it more than once that he'd been to heart of the sun, and when Apollo (the greek god) used he's solar beams Superman got so supercharged that led him to feel that his entire life he's been a glass half full.

What I really liked to see would be how New 52 Superman changes if exposed to blue and white stars radiation.

DawnFord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what book issue is this?

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I want to see that hellbat suit in action.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By tensor
    reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In most recent versions he always could.

True that the all-star superman went through that transformation, that led him to believe he was dying. But even that version of Superman would one day return, after all he was the progenitor of the superman dynastie.

The main difference in the New 52 Superman is that he no longer gets supercharged, after all he said it more than once that he'd been to heart of the sun, and when Apollo (the greek god) used he's solar beams Superman got so supercharged that led him to feel that his entire life he's been a glass half full.

What I really liked to see would be how New 52 Superman changes if exposed to blue and white stars radiation.

It's been implied by Luthor that he might gain some of the powers H'el got (psionic power, matter/energy manipulation, teleportation, etc.), as he was exposed to multiple stellar radiations as well.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MakkyD

@reactor: By random, I meant while the others you mention are a regular and expected part of the characters' arsenal, the stories where he chooses it seem to be random (I'm discussion mere recharging/healing but a full-on power up).

Interesting, I never really knew there was a downside to using sundip, the only story I read where it was a major factor was All-Star Superman and it was implied to kill him in that. From the vine, it makes it seem like just a ultra power-up or something. In that regard, it's similar to Wonder Woman's god mode, which I don't mind.

Wolverine is unkillable, but isn't undefeatable. He can be easily incapacitated by anyone more powerful than him.

Batman's prep is more so plain old plot armour than anything, then again you know that heroes are going to win at the end of the day, it's how they do it that matters (and Batman has a variety of tricks). Also, it depends a lot on the writer, Snyder writes a defeatable Batman while Morrison writes the prepmaster for example.

I'm not too familiar with Nate Grey so I'll leave that.

Hulk, I kind of agree that unless fighting an unorthodox foe, there tends to be little that can stop him physically.

I never said it made him "cheaper", in fact, Superman is one of my favourite characters, it's just one of the few nitpicks I have about him. Either way, thanks, you've gave him something to think about.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good now Wondy fans can shut it about Supes never able to get the hang on her so called skills in god mode, sun dipped supes would waste and tear her to pieces.

TitanG545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am no Superman buff, however I remember a time in Lois & Clark when Superman also flew to the sun and burned off some kryptonite particles that he received when a bomb exploded on him. Lois was all emotional and everyone thought he was going to die.

Watertaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question, is how did that hammer survive the sun's temperatures?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question, is how did that hammer survive the sun's temperatures?

Or his clother and hair.

I don't think the writers realize how hot the sun actually is.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are they doing in this picture? an amor. But for what?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kgb725

@wbr17: You dont know whose symbol that is on the armor ?

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: lol I know it's batman. But why are they doing this? What is the purpose of that armor?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Lol isn’t this one and the Superman in different points of his life? Morrison heavily hinted this.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Nope. He turned into pure energy and now is posting on vine.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Lol isn’t this one and the Superman in different points of his life? Morrison heavily hinted this.

We don't know what happened and made him Superman Prime, if he is even him and not a parallel version of him because the Superman legion was Supermen from all timelines and dimensions. Going by panel to panel explanation he became pure energy and "died". What happened after that is unknown and we can only make assumptions.

Also Jor-El said to him, "Your body is undergoing a conversion to solar radio-consiousness. Matter, energy these things cannot be destroyed, nor can consiousness, after bodily death, individual awareness persists for a while and builds for itself thought-palaces or complex hell's to inhabit, here is a choice to remain in the field of fluid consiousness or return to the living and face evil one more time". And before that Jor-El told him he was already dead. So yes Superman died, how he returned is unknown, so my point is valid until proven otherwise.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.