Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Needs Another Animated TV Series

Kryptonian23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kryptonian23

Am I the only one who has noticed that Supes hasn't had a television series (exclusive to him, not merged with Batman, the Legion, or the Justice League) debut since Smallville, (which was about him becoming Supes rather than it being about Supes himself)? Seriously. How is the man supposed to get any respect and recognition if Batman and others keep overshadowing him? It's possible that they could do one based on the Man of Steel movie's version of him, but I doubt it. It's not that difficult. Producers, Staff Writers, and even Voice Directors just need to have an imagination and lose the laziness. All they need to do is put effort into both the Super and the man.

1. For example, have Superman be a bit depressed about the opinions many people still have about him and his status as a powerful alien despite his good intentions. Also, since he grew up as one of us, they should give him some personality traits comparable to us. Like, have him be easily angered, but still in control enough to restrain himself for obvious reasons. Don't regress back into the old dayswhere he is the perfect boy-scout mary-sue. This is the 21st Century after all. As for Kent, they don't need to make him into a clumsy wimp. To be honest, I never understood that. How can someone be that uncoordinated and grow up on a farm without any sort of mark or injury to show for it? Go for the assertive, intelligent Kent and if you run into the problem of comparison between him and his heroic alter-ego, have him keep his small-town accent and make him reluctant to do stories about Supes.
    2. As for supporting characters, the typical Lane, Olsen, and White crowd. But throw in Steve Lombard to give Kent a rival and reminder of his time as a misunderstood country boy and put in Ron Troupe to satisfy those who have "diversity issues", to provide a political (and positive) opinion on Superman, and for him to pursue a fling with Lois' little sister Lucy as in the old comics. Let's not forget his Superheroic allies like Supergirl, Superboy (Kon-El), and Steel. After all, Batman has Batgirl, Robin, and Alfred. You can't have Lois conveniently appearing to save his butt during some dire times.
    3. And then there's my personal favorite: the villains. Lex, of course, should be a principal antagonist, but why should he be the only one? What about Edge? or Bruno? Or Toyman? Screw that! What about Imperiex, or Zod, or even unknowns such as Blaze and Satanus? That'd be a perfect way to introduce his vulnerability to magic and introduce other DC heroes such as Zatanna. Also, as much as I like Metallo, Parasite, and even OC Livewire, they shouldn't make them too effective without a credible reason.
    • Yes, Metallo should rough up Supes in their first fight, but make the guy smart enough to use his ranged powers to stand up to him if he doesn't know about lead yet. And if Metallo receives an upgrade of some kind that makes him even more effective, give Supes his lead suit. Sure Metallo's blades might be able to cut through the suit, but not if he can't catch the man of steel.
    • As for Parasite, logically speaking, Superman is WAY too smart to allow Parasite to get his hands on him after the first time. He'll know something is up if the villain is responsible or around him at any point. Also, Parasite doesn't have to steal Superman's powers to be effective against him. He could steal the powers of multiple metahumans or a few incredible powerful alien beings with strength that matches (and maybe even SURPASSES) Superman's, driving him to use another means to defeat him. And don't forget, Parasite can take power from non-organic sources too, so he could find his way into a nuclear or electrical plant to increase his already awesome power.
    • Livewire. sigh. I always saw her as a lazy attempt at challenging Supes by giving him the nonexistent weakness of electricity. If electricity was truly a weakness, it would be listed in all official Superman-related sources and the instances where he does seem vulnerable to electricity outside of STAS is an example of sorry, lousy writing. If they are going to use her, then they need to revamp her backstory. Have her come into contact with a magical artifact that cursed her with electric/lightning powers. And since those powers are magical in nature, Superman would be hurt pretty bad, but he should still be more than smart enough to get out of the way and find a way to win. Don't know if regular water would work though? It is MAGIC lightning after all.

All I'm saying is DC's star player should not be benched this much if he is going to stay relevant. The Man of Steel movie created new fans and gave the man of steel relevance for the new generation, but that isn't enough. The big guy needs recognition of the small screen, too? I'm not saying lesser DC characters shouldn't get on Networks or anything, but certain characters, like Superman, deserve an immortal presence on the small-screen. Now tell me. Should or Should Superman not have another television series centered primarily on him?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By SaintWildcard

.... here we go again.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

No.

It's not that difficult.

How would you know?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Smalville just ended. And before that there was the awesome and underrated Lois&Clark.

He definetely doesn't need another TV Series. A animated series though is another matter ;-)

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like there are other heroes who deserve this much more. Not to mention Smallville just ended and Superman has his own movies coming.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No TV Superman, you need cash if you're going to do Superman right and TV budgets don't have that. Superman cartoon is needed, should be written by Johns and Pak.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supes hasn't had a television series (exclusive to him, not merged with Batman, the Legion, or the Justice League) debut since Smallville,

Ahem… When exactly Superman had television series merged with Batman or JL?

they don't need to make him into a clumsy wimp. To be honest, I never understood that. How can someone be that uncoordinated and grow up on a farm without any sort of mark or injury to show for it?

That’s usually intentional decision (rather famous element from Supes’ lore) – Clark further separating his image from Superman. Of course he’s not clumsy in his “real” life.

I understand what you want to say, but I seriously doubt that this is possible. TV-series with their budgets can’t give Superman full respect he deserves. That’s why those S- television series which we got were not pure rip-off from his comics. “Lois and Clark” – Superman was façade, nothing more, Clark was the real person and the main character all along; "Smallville" – built on Clark becoming Superman (and done bad job at that IMO).

Well executed Superman cartoon – that’s what I would like to see.

Kryptonian23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apologies everyone. I guess I should have written that my idea was meant for an animated Supes, not a live-action one. So, that's why I changed the topic title. Of course, Smallville wasn't animated, but it was still a tv version of the character. And as for those who question my though process, please allow me to clarify:

1. Saren- When I said it wasn't that difficult, I was speaking about how to portray the character, not how to get the production team and cast up and running. If they can pull off something like Young Justice, then they can definitely pull off a brand new Superman series. They just have to take their time and be mindful (and not lazy) about how they go about it.

2. SanoHibiki- Ever heard of "The New Adventures of Batman and Superman"? It was short-lived, but apparently it had the same continuity as the DC Animated Universe. And when I said Superman was merged with the JL, I'll admit, I could have worded that a little better, but technically it is a merger. It takes place after his animated series and it revisits a lot of things (particularly his villains) from there. And I know mild-mannered Clark is a popular elemnt, but do you really think it fits these days? It seems more comical than serious. Me? I would go with the Byrne version of Kent, where he is assertive and wise, but also add new things like, as I said before, having him keep his small-town accent and make it seem like his hair is longer than it actually is. Basically, I want what you do. A darn good Superman animated series. And I am fully aware of the significantly inferior budgets of television shows. I am an individual who aspires to work in both movies and television.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be down with a new Superman cartoon. I think it would be a good way to flesh out more of his Rogues in the same way they did the entire DC Universe with Brave and The Bold for Batman.

Reintroduce old favorite foes like Livewire and some Power Girl/Galatea, etc., (I don't even think she's made the New 52 yet,) and friends like Steel. Maybe even revisit the whole "Flash vs. Superman in a race" idea. I thought it was cool with the first animated series.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonian23:

Ever heard of "The New Adventures of Batman and Superman"? It was short-lived, but apparently it had the same continuity as the DC Animated Universe. And when I said Superman was merged with the JL, I'll admit, I could have worded that a little better, but technically it is a merger. It takes place after his animated series and it revisits a lot of things (particularly his villains) from there.

When I was writing my previous post, I was under impression that you were talking about live-action TV-show which starred Batman, Superman and/or JL cast. Sorry for misunderstanding. And yeah, I’m aware about “The New Adventures of Batman and Superman”. To my knowledge, it’s just a name for animated series that combined episodes from STAS and TNBA.

And I know mild-mannered Clark is a popular elemnt, but do you really think it fits these days? It seems more comical than serious.

That depends. Personally, I like such Clark/Superman dichotomy when mild mannered and stumbling “Clark Kent” is only disguise, Superman is idealized version of his true person (hero image for public) and real Clark Kent somewhere in between (only his family and closest friends get to see the real him). For the sake of theoretical animated series, there should be some differences between reporter Clark Kent and Superman (different posture, etc) to create at least superficial disguise.

Answering your question directly, no, I don’t particularly like it. As far as I’m concerned, Chris Reeve overdid this IMO. I think that tall guy, with classical facial features, in ill-fitting clothes, clumsy, stumbling and sometimes stuttering will get plenty of (negative) attention – like clown in the crowd. That’s not exactly sounds as being inconspicuous to me. To date, my favorite version of Clark Kent was in “Lois and Clark”.

In conclusion – now that I know that you’re talking about new Superman animated series, consider that I agree with pretty much all points in your OP.

vbui0803

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonian23:

I totally agree with you 100,% I do love Batman, but in my opinion he gets too much media time. I mean it is good mostly what comes out with him. But Superman has a huge legacy, and should not become backseat to Batman. Batman is probably more popular now in this time, but I still love Superman. If Batman gets all these animated tv shows and animated movies, then DC comics needs to produce more Superman ones also. I do like seeing Batman animated products, but I mean dc comics mostly makes their stuff about Batman. I would love to see more Superman, like a new animated tv show done right and some more animated movies. It would be nice to add Flash or Green Lantern in the mix too. These 4 heroes are my favorite, but Batman gets so much media time, and after seeing all the batman shows and movies, I honestly want to see something new with Superman forsure and hopefully Flash and Green lantern. I feel like DC overdoing it on batman a lot these days, but they could do so much more with other heroes. Superman, Flash, and Green Lantern's galleries could be used to make great episodes or animated movies. I am excited for live action flash show though, I am glad to see something else new and awesome looking be created besides Arrow of course. Smallville was done great, and I just really hope DC can give Superman more animated tv/movie time. I loved Man of Steel movie, despite what people say. It was different, but version of superman. It is honestly my favorite movie so far, and I would love to see more! He doesn't get respect he deserves and it bothers me with some fanboys that don't realize how cool supes really is. People need to realize how important he is to DC universe, and enjoy him instead of making needless insults. But anyways good post kryptonian23, I am glad to see I am not alone in my opinions.

Laporik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Why make it different ? I mean, if you are going with a Superman animated series, I would like it to be just like in the comic book. Keep that arc for a second season^^

2) I love you for including Lombart, man, I just love that character, really a fun character.

3) Like your ideas for the villains except for Livewire, would looks like too much like Shazam to me. I mean, if it is magic lightning, wouldn't it act like how it works on a human and so directly kill him ?

I always saw Superman as someone who can take more shots than a human but who isn't invincible. I'm sure that a lot of electricity would really hurt him and I always thought that the character had a lot of potential. I mean, she's pure electricity, she can use any electric device to " teleport " herself, if she had the good writing, she could put up one hell of a fight

Deadpo0l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More superman anything would be good with me. Kal-El all day

greenarrowfan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Live action TV superman is ahead of batman. Smallville,Superboy,Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and upcoming supergirl show. Batman has the Adam west show, and gotham..

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

This is all pretty good stuff. And I agree, Supes needs another cartoon!

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A show that is a sure winner,and can sale toys would be a cartoon adaption of Superman Family Adventures.kal,kon,Kara,and krypto

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Does anyone else like the idea of a Superman cartoon ala Batman: The Brave and The Bold where they have guest heroes and villains? I feel that Superman really shines when he has someone to play off of whether that be the straight man to the joker, best buds, mentor and student or unlikely or begrudging allies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.