Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

SUPERMAN MOVIES

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8e2e19d8bc3
    deactivated-5b8e2e19d8bc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello Comicvine!

I was never a fan of Superman, but lately I've began to read about the origin of the character and what he represents in pop-culture and realize the potential he possesses. Stuff like Superior and Irredeemable presenting different iterations of the character really intrigued me and now I'm really interested in the live action adaptations. Man of Steel really got me interested so I decided to check out the old ones. I know the Christopher Reeve editions are meant to be the pen-ultimate Superman movies, the first two at least.

I checked out the first movie recently, and I thought Reeve was very charismatic but the plot itself wasn't that impressive. Now I'm up for Superman 2 but realized there are two different versions, Lester cut and Donner cut. Which version is regarded as superior or canon? Are they VERY different from one another?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sethysquare

@joncameronli said:

Hello Comicvine!

I was never a fan of Superman, but lately I've began to read about the origin of the character and what he represents in pop-culture and realize the potential he possesses. Stuff like Superior and Irredeemable presenting different iterations of the character really intrigued me and now I'm really interested in the live action adaptations. Man of Steel really got me interested so I decided to check out the old ones. I know the Christopher Reeve editions are meant to be the pen-ultimate Superman movies, the first two at least.

I checked out the first movie recently, and I thought Reeve was very charismatic but the plot itself wasn't that impressive. Now I'm up for Superman 2 but realized there are two different versions, Lester cut and Donner cut. Which version is regarded as superior or canon? Are they VERY different from one another?

Donner cut was just additional stuff. get the Donner cut.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sinestro_GL

@joncameronli: Don't just stop with the movies, my fellow Viner. Before last spring, I wasn't a huge Superman fan either, BUT after I started reading more of his comics, I began to get more drawn to him. ACTUALLY, it was the animated series (which I completed last summer) that made me a HUGE Superman fan - give them a shot.

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By samuel_larson_10

I like to pretend the superman films never happened.

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Zomboid

Like sinestro_GL said, check out some Superman comics. You'll probably like the character a lot more in his comics than his movies.

Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ValendianKnight

All the Superman films have done a VERY bad job at presenting the character...Hopefully Man of Steel fixes this(it has the best chance). I'm always shocked at people who think Superman is a boring character, or he's too powerful to be interesting, and the best evidence to the contrary is to just point people to his books, of which there are MANY that I would rate as some of the best stories in the business. He's just not that interesting in the movies he has been featured in so far, but that version of him is hardly the Superman I personally love to read about. Glad you are getting into the character OP!

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SandMan_

Watch the animated Superman movies...or wait until next Summer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.