Superman-Most powerful being on Earth?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by Deranged Midget (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Today, I was at Indigo(there are sadly, no comic book stores in my area at all...) and was reading some comics when I came about New Krypton. While reading it, there was a moment when Wonder Woman, Alan Scott, Mr. Terrific and a few others confront Superman it what seemed like the Northern Hemisphere and they mentioned that he is in fact that strongest being on Earth(if anyone can provide the scan it would be much appreciated) and that everyone knows it, even Superman himself. What do you guys/gals think of this? Is Superman in fact the strongest being on earth?

#2 Posted by ThunderShade (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Theres gotta be a reason why everyones terrified of him!

#3 Edited by The Last Son Of Krypton (791 posts) - - Show Bio

It's from Superman 681

EDIT: I cropped the scan so you can see it better.

#4 Posted by Kataklysmo (859 posts) - - Show Bio

Strongest on Earth, but not the most powerful

#5 Posted by ssejllenrad (12780 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I agree! Superman beats all on earth! But then again don't you take my word for it.. I'm a fanboy!

#6 Posted by MrDirector786 (43131 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kataklysmo said:
" Strongest on Earth, but not the most powerful "
#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Just out of curiosity, Superman's powers continue to grow due to his exposure of yellow sun rays, correct? 
 Will he gain new powers, such as in AS Superman? But why does the scan show the Green Lantern(Alan Scott) stating that Superman is in fact the most powerful being on Earth. 
It's obvious that he's the strongest, but maybe there is a reason that they are mentioning him as the most powerful. Maybe they know he will continually get stronger due to the sun rays and become more powerful.

#8 Posted by homeslice (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is the most powerful and strongest being in the DC universe.

#9 Posted by homeslice (177 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Last Son Of Krypton: 

Thanks for the scan but can you please make it bigger if possible. its hard to read the caption.
#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio
@homeslice: technically the presence is the most powerful being in dc
#11 Posted by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes Superman is the most powerful I agree but I would not read to much into that. He is not omnipotent. In most if not all cases, Most Powerful when refering to superman means the most capable of saving the world. ETC

#12 Posted by Icemizer (181 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont believe we know the upper limits of Martian Manhunters power, or Captain Marvel's. Superboy Prime was more powerful for the short time he was here on Earth.

#13 Posted by ssejllenrad (12780 posts) - - Show Bio
  This is the most powerful... Nuff said... :D Hehehehe!

Seriously, is there anyone from New Earth (just Earth, no cosmics, no new Gods, no people from different universes like Prime) who can hands down beat Supes without any form of trickery or outsmarting? Unless someone can come up with it then the OP's statement is unchallenged. Question: Can Powergirl or Supergirl handle him 1-on-1? In this I mean no one's holding back....
#14 Posted by ComicMan24 (147021 posts) - - Show Bio

He is strong but he is not unbeatable.
#15 Posted by LP (671 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" @Kataklysmo said:
" Strongest on Earth, but not the most powerful "
"

#16 Posted by SFX87 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

He is strong but if they can kill Supergirl  they can kill Superman. 

#17 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally rank flash above him

#18 Posted by Buckshot (18867 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad said:
  This is the most powerful... Nuff said... :D Hehehehe!  Seriously, is there anyone from New Earth (just Earth, no cosmics, no new Gods, no people from different universes like Prime) who can hands down beat Supes without any form of trickery or outsmarting? Unless someone can come up with it then the OP's statement is unchallenged. Question: Can Powergirl or Supergirl handle him 1-on-1? In this I mean no one's holding back.... "
I assume you mean a purely physical fight (since psychic powers, energy powers, magical powers are all different ways to be powerful in ways Superman can't match). In a purely physical fight I'd probably say Flash.
#19 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone would like to counter that statement....

#20 Posted by Sexy Merc (42065 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt:  

#21 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

he's the most powerful mortal

#22 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt:  

"

The two greatest Green Lanterns conversing whilst not being Green Lanterns; trippy.
#23 Posted by Sexy Merc (42065 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: LOL, I just noticed that. Very epic moment.
#24 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc: Talk about your powerhouses lol. The Blackest Night would have lasted about 13 seconds with these two at full power.

Pre-Retcons, of course.
#25 Posted by Sexy Merc (42065 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: They are both post-retcons though, but Geoff Johns is too scared to show the true power of Green Lanterns in his stories. Even the White Lantern wasn't impressive.
#26 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc: True, but it's hard to have full power Green Lantern's on Earth battles, since they'd you know, destroy it lol. 

The White Lantern was kind of a waste of time, really. I'd have much preferred one person with all 7 rings take down Nekron than a bunch of White Lanterns deal the "killing" blow.
#27 Posted by Sexy Merc (42065 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Yeah that sounds good. I'm not a a huge fan of Johns so I didn't read Blackest Night and I'll pick up the hardcovers in the summer.Ron Marz run with Kyle from the start was my favorite Green Lantern stories. The Silver Age Hal stories are fun too. Johns has written some very goof stories though and put Green Lantern on the map for DC.
#28 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc: Yeah, I'm picking up the trades too, I just couldn't resist getting BN #8 lol. 

I like Johns; sure, he retcons A LOT, and some people don't like that, but he never seems to do it just to be a douche. He always provides a solid reason, and respects the past in doing so. Some of his moves can be a little jarring, but you can tell he really loves these characters, which is a great thing, and I think that comes through in his writing.

I haven't read much of the older Lantern stuff, when I get some extra cash I'm going to be dipping into some though.
#29 Posted by Sexy Merc (42065 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: True, he's in love with the Silver Age, lol. He is a good writer despite his retcons. I don't think he's interested in the GLC at all though or Kyle, but it doesn't matter, Kyle will always the best in my eyes.
#30 Posted by DELBERT (90 posts) - - Show Bio

well i think sodam yat is but most of the time hes not on earth lol

#31 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc: I agree, his pushing aside of Wally kind of annoyed me. 

I grew up with Kyle, so he's my favourite too. Also, he has the best GL costumes by a field.
#32 Posted by Sexy Merc (42065 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Yeah, agreed. I want Wally back.
#33 Edited by Sexy Merc (42065 posts) - - Show Bio
@DELBERT said:

" well i think sodam yat is but most of the time hes not on earth lol "

Sodam Yat isn't an Earth Green Lantern.
#34 Posted by fatyman (448 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buckshot said:
I assume you mean a purely physical fight (since psychic powers, energy powers, magical powers are all different ways to be powerful in ways Superman can't match). In a purely physical fight I'd probably say Flash. "
how in the world can flash physically match up to superman? flash is a normal human in strength, while superman is basically god.
#35 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

He really is the most powerful in DC he might not be the strongest or fastest but his essence make the strongest of villains shiver and the lowliest of heroes stand straight up and rush to battle with no hope of survival. He is an icon

#36 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes Strongest Superhero.

#37 Posted by Buckshot (18867 posts) - - Show Bio
@fatyman said:
" @Buckshot said:
I assume you mean a purely physical fight (since psychic powers, energy powers, magical powers are all different ways to be powerful in ways Superman can't match). In a purely physical fight I'd probably say Flash. "
how in the world can flash physically match up to superman? flash is a normal human in strength, while superman is basically god. "
Infinite Mass Punches. His speed gives him "strength" (and plenty of other tricks).
#38 Posted by fatyman (448 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buckshot said:
" @fatyman said:
" @Buckshot said:
how in the world can flash physically match up to superman? flash is a normal human in strength, while superman is basically god. "
Infinite Mass Punches. His speed gives him "strength" (and plenty of other tricks). "
ive never read anywhere that his speed gives him strength. got any scans showing this?
#39 Posted by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio

Physically he's up in the top 3! But not the most powerful!
#40 Posted by Buckshot (18867 posts) - - Show Bio
@fatyman said:
" @Buckshot said:
" @fatyman said:
" @Buckshot said:
Infinite Mass Punches. His speed gives him "strength" (and plenty of other tricks). "
ive never read anywhere that his speed gives him strength. got any scans showing this? "
Strength is in quotes for a reason. F=MA. Find a battle thread with Flash in it (there's definitely one with him against Superman). The answers are there and this isn't the place for it.
#41 Posted by mistrx75 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

On Earth?  Superman?  Yeah, I would think so.
#42 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

No. 

Or

Can Defeat Him.
#43 Posted by Rojay (43 posts) - - Show Bio

you know it is so sad to see people just trying there hardest to rule superman out, writers even reduced the guy powers to a laughable state and yet still they still want to see him dead or beaten fa crying out loud leave superman alone and accept that the guy is the most powerful of all the characters and move on. My word man, it is because he is the best why everyone is coming up with lame debates.

Jeez and one last thing this lame hulk and superman comparison and who would win crap, it is sorta lame now so let me tell You Superman vs Hulk ...ready...fight... and the hulk gets angry as usual then superman uses his freezing breath ..freezes the the green monster and punches the frozen green freak into ice particles, hulk dies right there and then... then superman uses the heat vision vaporize the particles of ice which was once the green monster that serve no purpose but to get angry and the big winner is Superman, there stupid debate ended. i suggest u all be realistic writers have scale down superman powers beyond zero to the point where it is laughable because he was regarded as an unfair character and even after they did he is still great. pehaps you should visit this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfVkyvKgL3M&feature=plcp and that is exactly what would happen.

#44 Edited by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

this guy is more powerful than superman

#45 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, Superman is the most powerful. Strongest, too.

#46 Edited by samuel_larson_10 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fortanono said:

Can Defeat Him.

lol, who Is that? Jesus???

#47 Posted by Luster77 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Supes is the most powerful being on DC Earth. he's been absorbing solar radiation since he was a kid. with all that power who can stop him? Plus, he's got some of the most advanced technology in the universe.....think about that, what if he decides to use his super mind against his enemies or those he deems a threat. he always said he could do it all.

#48 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

Superhero...but not being....

#49 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

The key words here are "On Earth."

The Spectre, The Presence, and "God" don't really reside on the planet Earth. They visit, sure, but their true domains are in a higher plane of existence. The Flash is NOT more powerful than Superman. Could he best Superman on a good day? Sure. However, Superman has more powers and is more versatile so nine times out of ten Superman wins. Same goes for the Lanterns. Yes, they wield one of the most dangerous weapons in the universe, but that's their flaw: They need their rings. Superman is still a lot faster than all of them and could arguably beat them from long range using his telescopic and heat vision. Swamp Thing also fails in this regard. If Superman wanted to, he could lay waste to the entire planet and all its vegetation.

Superman was meant to be the most powerful in his own stories. The whole point of Superman is that he's so powerful that no job is too big for him. There is nothing that could possibly get in his way of saving the day. Now that he resides in a collective universe with so many superheroes and powered beings, this concept often gets diluted. Make no mistake, however, Superman is meant to be Earth's most powerful being in the DC Universe.

#50 Posted by ComicStooge (9659 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of strength, yes, I think so.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.