Superman: Man of Steel

#1 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

The project will be supervised by Christopher Nolan. ( Batman: Begins & Batman: The Dark Knight)
The screenplay and story will be written by David S. Goyer. You may know Goyer from his credits from Batman: Begins, Batman: The Dark Knight and the third untitled one. Also Blade series.

The president of Legendary Pictures Thomas Tull said that "Superman needs a powerful antagonist, a worthy opponent." Tull also wants to evoke Superman as an "angry God." 

Director: Zack Snyder.
Director Snyder responding to reports that General Zod would return says, that "was just a rumor."   
Budget is an estimated at 100 million has now risen to 175 million.

Release date: December 2012.  

The approach for the movie has been described as "modern…believable…fun!" and the film will not involve Brandon Routh, Nicolas Cage, Mark Millar, or Bryan Singer. The only information about the story so far is this: 

“I can tell you that Goyer’s story involves Luthor and Brainiac. It is NOT an origin and assumes audiences already know about Lois, Clark, Jimmy and Perry. I know the Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet. And I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology.”

Henry Cavill will be The Man of Steel. 

Kevin Costner Headed to Superman?

Kevin Costner, who most recently appeared in The Company Men, is rumored today (via Deadline) to be up for a part in Zack Snyder's Superman reboot.

The potential role is unknown at this stage though some age-appropriate speculation could place Costner as Perry White, Jonathan Kent or General Sam Lane (Lois' father), among others.

News

Diana Lane
Following the announcement just two weeks ago that she is set to play Superman's adoptive mother, Martha Kent, in the upcoming Zack Snyder reboot, Diane Lane has spoken with USA Weekend about the role.

“I’ve always wanted to raise a good man,” she jokes about working alongside Henry Cavill, who will be playing both Clark Kent and Superman, “I thought that was the biggest challenge a woman could have, and so I get the embarrassment of riches.”

Lane also explains that, to help get excited for the project, she's been rewatching films from Snyder's oeuvre, particularly 2009's Watchmen. Describing the director as "audicious" and "brilliant," Lane promises that Superman is, "going to be a wild ride."

"I’m very flattered to play Martha Kent and live up to his vision," she says, "It’s pretty cool.”

Lane marks the youngest actress to ever take on the role of Martha. On the big screen, Eva Marie Saint most recently played the part in Superman Returns, taking over the role from Phyllis Thaxter who appeared in all four original cinematic Superman films. A  younger take on the character was also offered in the "Smallville" television series, as portrayed by Annette O'Toole (who was just a few years older than Lane is now when the series began).

Though the role of Martha's husband, Jonathan, has not been cast, rumors persist that Kevin Costner is likely for the part.

Amy Adams is Lois Lane!

Geoff Boucher at the Los Angeles Times' Hero Complex got the big superhero scoop this weekend confirming that Lois Lane will indeed be in Zack Snyder's still untitled Superman and she'll be played by...

three-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams!

Snyder's Clark Kent must like older women as Adams is 36 to Henry Cavill's 27 years old, and she joins a cast that includes Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Ma and Pa Kent and a bunch of rumored and yet unconfirmed actors playing the movie's villain including Michael Shannon and Edgar Ramirez.

Adams is coming off her Oscar-nominated role in David O. Russell's The Fighter and she's played numerous strong women in movies such as Amelia Earhart in Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian, Princess Giselle in Enchanted, food blogger Julie Powell in Julie & Julia and Delysia in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Later this year, she stars opposite Jason Segel in Disney's The Muppets and in Walter Salles' adaptation of Jack Kerouac's On the Road.

Having already informed the actress that she got the role, Snyder told Boucher:

"There was a big, giant search for Lois. For us it was a big thing and obviously a really important role. We did a lot of auditioning but we had this meeting with Amy Adams and after that I just felt she was perfect for it."

Snyder went on to tell Hero Complex that Lois is "a linchpin" to the project and that it's important she has "contemporary appeal and spirit" and continued:

"It goes back to what I’ve said about Superman and making him really understandable for today. What’s important to us is making him relevant and real and making him empathetic to today’s audience so that we understand the decisions he makes. That applies to Lois as well. She has to be in the same universe as him [in tone and substance].”

Kneel Before Zod! Shannon Cast in Man of Steel

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Michael Shannon will star in the role of General Zod in director Zack Snyder's new Superman film, titled Man of Steel.

Snyder stated, "Zod is not only one of Superman's most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don't. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role."

As General Zod, Shannon will go toe-to-toe with Henry Cavill, who plays the new Clark Kent/Superman in the film. The main cast also includes Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent.

Michael Shannon was honored with an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. Shannon was most recently seen in the award-winning HBO drama series "Boardwalk Empire," from executive producer Martin Scorsese.
#2 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8768 posts) - - Show Bio

This statement gives me hope. Could we finally see an epic battle on screen worthy of superman's awesome might? An epic city smashing apocalyptic fist fight or perhaps an aerial battle with sonic booms flying around and hurrican force winds conjured by the the superman and the villain punching each other in the face 100000 feet in the air?

"crosses his fingers and prays for finally getting a superman movie that won't suck"

#3 Posted by emerald_lamp_2814 (630 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope that they don't make it "dark" 

#4 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

I CANT WAIT!!! I know im over excited about it and will probably be let down but I want something worth of the Superman Title already
#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally...hmmm Darkseid maybe?

#6 Posted by MrDirector786 (43489 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" Finally...hmmm Darkseid maybe? "
Doubt it. Darkseid is technically not a Superman villain. He's primarily a New Gods villain. So unless they're going to either change him completely so he has nothing to do with the New Gods or the New Gods are introduced with him, we won't be seeing him in a Superman movie anytime soon.
#7 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786: you sure?
#8 Posted by MrDirector786 (43489 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @MrDirector786: you sure? "
Yeah, pretty sure. Like I said though, they could somehow change him so that he has nothing to do with the New Gods and put him in the movie, but that wouldn't be right.
#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786: Hmmm well...Mongul would be nice
#10 Posted by MrDirector786 (43489 posts) - - Show Bio

Mongul could be in it. He was first introduced as a Superman villain after all. Though he also became a Green Lantern villain as well. Still, Mongul could work.

#11 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8768 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they should go with Braniac, enough to make a pretty epic movie

#12 Posted by MrDirector786 (43489 posts) - - Show Bio

In future Superman movies, villains I hope to see would include Brainiac, Hank Henshaw, maybe Metallo, maybe Mongul, and I guess Luthor because he is considered Superman's greatest enemy after all.

#13 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

PLEASE go with Brainiac he is freakin awesome.

#14 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" Finally...hmmm Darkseid maybe? "
Never going to happen.
#15 Posted by MrDirector786 (43489 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid could be in a New Gods movie, though. But I sincerely doubt we'll be seeing a New Gods movie anytime soon seeing as how they aren't well-known by anyone who doesn't read comics.

#16 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

i think if they had to show they new gods it would probably become an off world movie. They could do a movie with Darkseid actually. See Paragraph Below. I would love to see him in a  superman movie tho. Mongul would be cool tho. I dont really know his back story tho.  

Darkseid's goal was to eliminate all free will from the universe and reshape it into his own image. To this end, he sought to unravel the mysterious Anti-Life Equation, which gives its user complete control over the thoughts and emotions of all living beings in the universe. Darkseid had tried on several other occasions to achieve dominance of the universe through other methods, most notably through his minion Glorious Godfrey, who could control people's minds with his voice. He had a special interest in Earth, as he believed humans possess collectively within their minds most, if not all, fragments of the Anti-Life Equation. Darkseid intended to probe the minds of every human in order to piece together the Equation. This has caused him to clash with many superheroes of the DC Universe, notably, the Kryptonian Superman. Darkseid worked behind-the-scenes, using superpowered minions in his schemes to overthrow Earth, including working through Intergang, a crime syndicate which employs Apokoliptian technology and later morphed into a religious cult that worships Darkseid as the God of Evil.    

#17 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they do a Superman I, where they had like 30 minutes on Krypton. 20 Minutes in Smallville and the rest in Metropolis. I love that about the first one. 
Show his origins while introducing a villain. 
Maybe Brainiac and Zod etc. on Krypton fighting with Jor-El helping Kal-El off. In Smallville show a young Lex. Then you've got a few villains already. Then in Metropolis introduce the older version of Lex and a ruffed up Metropolis. Something that Clark/Superman can help straight away. I wouldn't mind a 2 and a half hour 1st film. And then a 2 hours sequel, depending on the 1st. I can imagine this going well if Nolan and Goyer are in charge.

You can tell what Warner Bros. are doing here. Goyer and Nolan - Batman
NOW, Goyer and Nolan - Superman

I sense a Superman/Batman in the back of their minds. ::D

#18 Posted by MrDirector786 (43489 posts) - - Show Bio

A Superman/Batman live action movie would be awesome.

#19 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8768 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" A Superman/Batman live action movie would be awesome. "
if done right. Personally I'd go the world's finest route and have the movie not be their first meeting but instead be a story of them facing a powerful villain
#20 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" A Superman/Batman live action movie would be awesome. "
Nolan wants Superman to be the only superhero in that world. I don't know where I read that but he said it sometime after it was announced he would be mentoring the program. Makes sense. Superman needs the spotlight first. I would like that as a sequel though, facing a powerful villain, just like Crom Cruach said.
#21 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

More information on Superman: Man of Steel

The approach for the movie has been described as "modern…believable…fun!" and the film will not involve Brandon Routh, Nicolas Cage, Mark Millar, or Bryan Singer. The only information about the story so far is this: 

“I can tell you that Goyer’s story involves Luthor and Brainiac. It is NOT an origin and assumes audiences already know about Lois, Clark, Jimmy and Perry. I know the Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet. And I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology.”

#22 Posted by The Dude. (902 posts) - - Show Bio

Insert: Brainiac & Doomsday. Two awsome villains in one movie that would work well together. 

#23 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dude. said:
" Insert: Brainiac & Doomsday. Two awsome villains in one movie that would work well together.   "
No not in the same film Doomsday first, they both die, you find out it was all brainiacs plan, next film introduce steel and superboy, half way threw the return, big badass showdown with brainiac turns out only a robot drone, near the end guys collecting samples of DNA luthors behind it, third film bizzaro.
#24 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

Also the film will be called:

The Man of Steel not Superman: Man of Steel. 

That's what I've heard.

#25 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

David Goyer’s is to base Man of Steel on John Byrne’s revamp of the character for DC Comics back in the eighties with the Superman: Man Of Steel mini-series, and subsequent run on Superman and Action Comics.

#26 Posted by mistrx75 (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Would they be working on this after Batman 3, since that apparently has a release date?

#27 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel said:
"  David Goyer’s is to base Man of Steel on John Byrne’s revamp of the character for DC Comics back in the eighties with the Superman: Man Of Steel mini-series, and subsequent run on Superman and Action Comics.

Nooooo!! I hate Byrne!!

"

Yes! YES! 

YES!

I'm sorry, but I love Byrne. That's what Superman should be.
#28 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@mistrx75 said:
" Would they be working on this after Batman 3, since that apparently has a release date? "
Batman 3 doesn't have a release date. In fact, it's not at all further down the production line than Man of steel.
#29 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom: it does, its being released in 2012, a summer release of july 20th
#30 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@hdorman1 said:
" @AtPhantom: it does, its being released in 2012, a summer release of july 20th "
What? Already? But they don't even have the script finished yet...
#31 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @Supreme Marvel said:
"  David Goyer’s is to base Man of Steel on John Byrne’s revamp of the character for DC Comics back in the eighties with the Superman: Man Of Steel mini-series, and subsequent run on Superman and Action Comics.

Nooooo!! I hate Byrne!!

"

Yes! YES! 

YES!

I'm sorry, but I love Byrne. That's what Superman should be. "
This is the weakened version of Superman, right?
#32 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel said:
"This is the weakened version of Superman, right? "
Aw, that's the least important point about him.
#33 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel said:

Nooooo!! I hate Byrne!!

"
Yeeeeaaaaaaaah! Byrne's Superman is the most consistent in power showings so that's the version I love! Oh yeah! I hope they don't change their minds!
#34 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom:
@ssejllenrad:

I just feel he had to weaken a person to make him useful.

And don't worry, Goyer is in charge of the script and Nolan wouldn't let anything get in the way of that.
#35 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel said:
"I just feel he had to weaken a person to make him useful.   "
I can understand, and agree with that, but in my view that's not really so important. Superman being Clark first, being a reporter because he loves doing it, Lois falling for Clark rather than the big hero, and Superman considering himself essentially human rather than a Kryptonian, those are, IMO, the important parts. 

Besides, it's a movie where Superman is the only superhero in the world, he's probably going to look freakishly powerful no matter the plot.
#36 Posted by MrDirector786 (43489 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing as how it's going to be directed by Nolan gives me hope that somewhere in the future there may be a Superman/Batman movie.

#37 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrDirector786 said:
" Seeing as how it's going to be directed by Nolan gives me hope that somewhere in the future there may be a Superman/Batman movie. "
No director has been called yet. Nolan is the "Godfather" of the project, so head producer. He controls it. But not directing it.
#38 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel: True. I can see your point. Byrnes's retcon started the pandemic hater's thinking that so many characters could now beat Supes. Especially the DBZ fanboys.
#39 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel:
Bump! I vote this as the official Man of Steel Thread! :D
#40 Posted by PowerHerc (82612 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea of Superman fighting a physically powerful and worthy foe in the next movie sounds good to me. 
I want Superman to be depicted as the true hero he is.  Morally sure, not conflicted.  Polite and kind, but not weak and overly sensitive.  
I don't want this movie to be "dark".  Leave that stuff to Batman. 
And I want action.  Superman needs to throwdown using his entire power-set, and using them skillfully. 

Also, as a final note:   
Just because Superman's hair was over his ears in the Christopher Reeves movies in the 70's and 80's doesn't mean it should (or has to) be now.  Superman doesn't need 'helmet hair.'  That's one of the mistakes that was made with Brandon Routh's version.  In this movie; tighten Supes hair up in the back and on the sides, but leave the spit-curl.  Give him the classic/iconic look that started with Joe Shuster and was, relatively recently, put into focus by Alex Ross.   
#41 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote too. I'll update the information.

#42 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the fact that they got the S curl wrong in Returns.  They even got it the wrong way.

Also, I think Rachel McAdams would be a good consideration for Lois Lane.

#43 Posted by Mercy_ (92674 posts) - - Show Bio

Erica Durance is the definitiveLois for me. But I think that Rachel could do a good job.

#44 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her for Smallville.  I would see what she's like as Lois in the films.  And if it's not going well do a Dark Knight like they did with Rachel character.

#45 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

I've just been informed people don't know that Luthor and Brainiac are in the film.  They could have more villains as well.

#46 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really surprised that Luthor is in the movie. Good to see that Brainiac is. Curious to see which version they will use for him.

#47 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

Since it's going back to Bryne it could be the one that was used earlier on in his tenure.  I liked the one from Brainiac arc.

#48 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel: You mean Milton Fine? Not really sure. Like you said the one from the Brainiac arc seems like a great choice to me.
#49 Edited by PowerHerc (82612 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supreme Marvel:
More Luthor, huh?  Sucks.
#50 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind if it's done well.  But am sure he'll hit Brainiac though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.