Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman... Limitless? (Blog)

• 67 results
    Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Rule 1. don't listen to Death Battle.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By segamarvel

@heatblaze123: I didn't say I was listening to death battle. I referenced it as a point because people are still moaning about it. Death battle got some things wrong that's a certainty. But that doesn't mean they didn't get some things right either.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatblaze123: I didn't say I was listening to death battle. I referenced it as a point because people are still moaning about it. Death battle got some things wrong that's a certainty. But that doesn't mean they didn't get some things right either.

I was referring to the Original Post.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I like Superman, but people who think he is OP ( Which I take doesn't have challengers) or limitless don't understand him that much, either in terms of comics,tv, or movies, where he clearly has challenges. His potential also depends on exactly which Elseworlds you are talking about ( DC One Million)

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suemorphplus209:

To me it seems some people are having trouble with the word limitless.

For example. If I told you, you had limitless potential. Would that be a lie? No.

For all the tech we already have but don't use, for all the possible genetic engineering potential, your potential, everyone's potential can very well be limitless.

And limitless is quite different from having infinite power, that Superman clearly doesn't have.

He has within him the power to become even more powerful, in every way. Either be it by growing older, exposing himself to other forms of stellar energy. Or to take a lesson from the H'El On Earth arc he could build a star chamber. But instead of pulling on all the energy from Earth sun, Superman could apply a little of green lantern tech and make it so it draws tiny amounts of energy from every star on the galaxy. Imagine how powerful he would become if he did something like that.

No more kryptonite weakness. No more red sunlight weakness. No more psychic weakness. And maybe no more vulnerability to magic.

His normal powers would be taken to unimaginable levels, and new powers would add to the set, maybe going way beyond what H'El or Superboy-Prime was able to do.

Now most people would read this and think "Jeez... Isn't he already powerful enough. He's so OP already." but some seem to forget a real OP example that's been starring them right in the face, especially now in the New 52 or DCYou. And his name is Martian Manhunter.

The guy has pratically no limits to speak off. His only weakness fire no longer carries the punch it once did, he can destroy himself and leave parts of himself behind to build himself back again.

To me that's the definition of OP. A guy with pratically all the powers in the world and then some.

And still people complain about Superman.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DieHard200904

@suemorphplus209:

For example. If I told you, you had limitless potential. Would that be a lie? No.

For all the tech we already have but don't use, for all the possible genetic engineering potential, your potential, everyone's potential can very well be limitless.

And limitless is quite different from having infinite power, that Superman clearly doesn't have.

He has within him the power to become even more powerful, in every way. Either be it by growing older, exposing himself to other forms of stellar energy. Or to take a lesson from the H'El On Earth arc he could build a star chamber. But instead of pulling on all the energy from Earth sun, Superman could apply a little of green lantern tech and make it so it draws tiny amounts of energy from every star on the galaxy. Imagine how powerful he would become if he did something like that.

No more kryptonite weakness. No more red sunlight weakness. No more psychic weakness. And maybe no more vulnerability to magic.

His normal powers would be taken to unimaginable levels, and new powers would add to the set, maybe going way beyond what H'El or Superboy-Prime was able to do.

Now most people would read this and think "Jeez... Isn't he already powerful enough. He's so OP already." but some seem to forget a real OP example that's been starring them right in the face, especially now in the New 52 or DCYou. And his name is Martian Manhunter.

The guy has pratically no limits to speak off. His only weakness fire no longer carries the punch it once did, he can destroy himself and leave parts of himself behind to build himself back again.

To me that's the definition of OP. A guy with pratically all the powers in the world and then some.

Martian Manhunter's OP stuck out a lot to me in Doomed, when:

He flies with Superman up to the Sun. That didn't feel right to me that he had no problems, at least for me when I remembered him being hurt by fire at points. That's pretty much hotter than a lot of the fire that hurt him on a usual basis anyways.

But then again, there's also the potential that just about any character in comics has. I mean Flash has the vast potential and can do who knows how much, in Earth-22, he could pretty much be almost omnipotent and act as a single crimestopper in an entire city. Green Lantern might very well be able to build something like the Death Star, or bigger, if he really put his confidence and consolidated a whole lot of Green Lantern power.

Just about every character in the DCYou potentially could be Godlike. Superman's kind of old, but I can't blame a lot of the editors and writers for trying to evolve him sometimes.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suemorphplus209:

I completely agree. Superman gets so much flak for being OP and yet he isn't even close to the most powerful of even the most mainstream heroes. J'onn has an absurd power set, any of the amped lanterns are leagues above him, and any speedforce conduit even resembling Wally should never lose a fight against a non-speedster.

If this were still the silver age, there would be grounds for complaint, but at this point Superman isn't even particularily strong for a hero of his tier.

mace1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mace1111

Here are some examples unlimited and near unlimited power types.

Some of superman powers is potential limitless or limitless,just like sentry,blue marvel,black adam,wonder woman,thor etc..but they do not have limitless power because they are not omnipotent.

Here are some example of near limitless power types.

Nigh Omnipotence - Superpower Wiki - Wikia

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Nigh_Omnipotence

Here are some example of limitless power types.

Omnipotence - Superpower Wiki - Wikia

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Omnipotence

Edited-

I did read recent from power tier chart that goku is more powerful then superman.So the other side could have point.

mace1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mace1111

I did read recent from power tier chart that goku is more powerful then superman.So the other side could have point.

I looked at list of goku powers too and it looks like he could be more powerful then superman.I remember awhile ago looking that the list before as well.

Guanzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DottiestMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least superman is limited these days

DottiestMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rule 1. don't listen to Death Battle.

Rule 2. Don't support them

Death battle has some accurate stuff but entirely though. They have some BS fight results and reasons/ explanations

avk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not a professional on this matter, but here is my knowledge on the matter,

Post crisis superman is limited in terms of in and out energy dynamics, ofcourse different media portray the matter totally different, but what I understood so far, is that Superman power starts from average and does up as he pushes more and more. Example, if a plane was falling down and superman pushes it upward, you can see how he begins to struggles at the beggining to lift it but thanks to his super powers he starts to be able to lift easily no problem.

In terms of limit, I think due to different media portray its hard to say, different writers different prespectives so its hard to say anything.

But one thing I realised is that as long as his solar energy is stored up inside of him he can go as strong as he can needs to, with one exception, the shooting from his eyes, since it is basically a way for him to release all the energy stored inside of him.

What would you guys say ?

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

But honestly Superman never had infinite strength. You can see it in the comics.

One thing you could do, should anyone ask Morrison on twitter if the book has an infinite weight or not, and how to explain this despite the entire production of comics tells otherwise.

@limpoyzloan:So fans extremes always exaggerate. Now we can say that even Superman PreCrisis had clear limits.

Here a monster had taken possession of the ring and the appearance of Green Lantern. Superman himself says that the ring could turn off the Sun, perhaps hyperbole, and that if it hit him, he would be destroyed. For the moment, trying to ward off the blows, making them ineffective due to the yellow of his cloak.

An Other Comics Warworlds, a satellite with bombs and laser, can decimate a planet, one of this missle can kill Superman.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Karate Kid manages to stall him. He is a simple man.

And many others. For me around Superman precrisis has created an urban legend because no one has ever actually read his comics.

About the feat of the infinite book, I would like to say one thing. First Superman New Earth does not lift it. But after we see Ultraman with a book and says that it has an end! But at the same comic both are struggling to lift a spaceship, which fell into Paris only destroys a bit 'the road. We also see Ultraman who fails to destroy a ship, if he had infinite strength would be a breeze. How is it possible?

However no one says that the book has infinite weight. Also, if an object had really an infinite weight, an infinite force NOT lift it.

Because both forces are in balance, then, to raise an infinite weight it would take an infinite contrasting force plus one.

But honestly Superman never had infinite strength. You can see it in the comics.

One thing you could do, should anyone ask Morrison on twitter if the book has an infinite weight or not, and how to explain this despite the entire production of comics tells otherwise.

No Caption Provided

We also see Ultraman who fails to destroy a ship, if he had infinite strength would be a breeze.

Superman should be a solar battery. This does not make him less than the Sun itself? A solar panel has no more energy than the sun.

AkiraSendoh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He couldn't move earth on his own (limit reached)

Couldn't keep up with flash when he was running (limit reached)

Couldn't take hits from Doomsday (limit reached)

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.