Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman in Young Justice

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

Ok - so I loved the show Young Justice, and personally thought it was one of the best animated CB based shows ever done. However - the way Superman is portrayed in that series was kind of...well as a douche.

I just re-watched the first 10 episodes over the last couple of days and it really stood out to me just how different the character was. OK - he's barely in it, it's Red Tornado, Black Canary and Batman mostly, but whenever he is there he's always serious, always stand-offish and a complete douche to Superboy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in every other variation of Superboy being a clone - hasn't Superman/Clark basically taken him into his family? I mean the main thing I remember is he gets him to live with the Kent's and essentially plays the role of a big brother. Even the "brash" N52 Superman was nice to Superboy during the H'El arc - giving up his own armour to save his life and doing what he could to help him out (not sure if they've had other interactions outside of the H'El arc). In Young Justice however, he barely speaks to him, when he does he basically tells him off (or is reeeeaaallly awkward), does whatever he can to avoid seeing him, and then chucks a tantrum on Bruce when Bruce is telling him to take the boy under his wing (and storms out of the diner on a guy who's supposed to be his best friend?).

As much as I love the show - it's really been bugging me how they've portrayed my favourite hero and I basically felt the need to rant. Thank you

//rant

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@wishiwassuperman: You completely correct. Superman usually treated Conner like a son (in the pre 52) so I had no idea why he was a little cold to him in this although they might`ve been trying to make it like how it used to be because when Superman first found out about SB being his clone it was a little awkward but he quickly became his mentor and later a type of Father Figure to him.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By PeppeyHare

I don't think he was portrayed as a douche. He was just scared and didn't know what to do. Id assume that the relationship was eventually supposed to fix itself, but the show ended abruptly

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@peppeyhare: he got over during the 5 year time skip between seasons one and two...he was friendly with him and even called him brother before he left for space with the other Leaguers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I agree, i get being shock, but trying to just ignore the problem was mean

WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

I'd always taken it as an almost fear of Superboy. Like, he knew he shouldn't be so awkward, but was afraid of what Superboy stood for (Clark's genetic stock being weaponized), and besides, he didn't ask for a clone to take into the family. Even though that's the only way I could rationalize his behavior, I don't think it works for Superman. Others, maybe, but not him.

If it was just the general awkwardness/avoidance stuff I could take that. But the episode where Bruce tries to address it was just plain "not Superman". When Batman is giving Superman advice to basically be nice and supportive to Superman - IMO - that's just not correct character portrayal. Not knocking Batman, I think he's had sufficient experience as a character with children, but I would never expect him to need to talk to Superman on how to deal with being a brother/father type figure for a protege. I get it was unexpected, but Superman is that type of character who to me, would just accept the fact that it is what it is, and be supportive. (I need to keep watching as I can't remember how it pans out beyond this - the time skip in Season 2 as stated by @danhimself may well have changed it - but that's just poor character development).

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Squalleon

Yeah, it wasn't handled very well...
    But there aren't many writers who actually care about Superman these days :-(
    And the ones who care aren't working with DC.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok - so I loved the show Young Justice, and personally thought it was one of the best animated CB based shows ever done. However - the way Superman is portrayed in that series was kind of...well as a douche.

I just re-watched the first 10 episodes over the last couple of days and it really stood out to me just how different the character was. OK - he's barely in it, it's Red Tornado, Black Canary and Batman mostly, but whenever he is there he's always serious, always stand-offish and a complete douche to Superboy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in every other variation of Superboy being a clone - hasn't Superman/Clark basically taken him into his family? I mean the main thing I remember is he gets him to live with the Kent's and essentially plays the role of a big brother. Even the "brash" N52 Superman was nice to Superboy during the H'El arc - giving up his own armour to save his life and doing what he could to help him out (not sure if they've had other interactions outside of the H'El arc). In Young Justice however, he barely speaks to him, when he does he basically tells him off (or is reeeeaaallly awkward), does whatever he can to avoid seeing him, and then chucks a tantrum on Bruce when Bruce is telling him to take the boy under his wing (and storms out of the diner on a guy who's supposed to be his best friend?).

As much as I love the show - it's really been bugging me how they've portrayed my favourite hero and I basically felt the need to rant. Thank you

//rant

actually in one of the earlier stories super boy shows up to the kent farm and he was totally rude to him....I can look for scans but people saying he was always nice to superboy are incorrect

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe it was this issue

No Caption Provided

WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

@w0nd: you may be right, it's just what I could remember (and I certainly haven't read every Superman comic, not even close).

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though, Superman basically felted violated. So it was kinda understanding.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think he behaved like most men do when a ex girlfriend shows up with a kid that she says is yours out of the blue. Still he did step up it just took him longer.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Its okay man, we can all hate something that Superman's been in. Lvenger hated MoS, you didnt like him in Young Justice and I hated the animated series.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I always figured he was a bit freaked out to suddenly find himself with what would be considered his "son." It wasn't something he had asked for and I felt that the reason he kept giving Superboy the cold shoulder was out of fear of how to handle the situation. That's probably why, after the five year gap, he refers to Superboy as his brother rather than his son, as it probably made it easier on Superman to look at him as his sibling, like with Supergirl, than as his son. Probably was less awkward too.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

I don't think he was portrayed as a douche. He was just scared and didn't know what to do. Id assume that the relationship was eventually supposed to fix itself, but the show ended abruptly

this. and it did fix itself near the end of season one

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

i think he behaved like most men do when a ex girlfriend shows up with a kid that she says is yours out of the blue. Still he did step up it just took him longer.

i kind of agree. id say Kal's situation is a bit more understandable then that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: He thought of him as a son at times. Although it is kind of awkward since it's his clone.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Superman would act as a big brother towards Conner but in the back of his mind it was his son. It was awkward at the beginning when he found out about him being a clone not to mention that when they found out he had some of Lex's DNA in him yeah it got awkward on occasion.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mind how the writers handled Clark's reaction to Connor. The problem is that they didn't really delve into why he would be reluctant to embrace a child that had been cloned from him without his knowledge or consent. The relationship was mostly told from Connor's perspective hence why Clark seemed like the unsympathetic one.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I agree that he wasn't handled well, but I also don't think it wasn't that bad.He was just scared, not sure how to handle it. I mean how would you react if you knew your enemies cloned you to make a weapon for the purpose of fighting you.

I mean honestly none of the JL members except MM were anything special. Yeah sure Batman was still handled okay, but all they have to do is show him being dark & greedy and you have your whole batman package.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Night4345
    @agent_z said:

I didn't mind how the writers handled Clark's reaction to Connor. The problem is that they didn't really delve into why he would be reluctant to embrace a child that had been cloned from him without his knowledge or consent. The relationship was mostly told from Connor's perspective hence why Clark seemed like the unsympathetic one.

This. Major missed opportunity.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By SaintWildcard

@w0nd said:

No Caption Provided

Man... I really hate that guys art :/

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

No Caption Provided

Man... I really hate that guys art :/

on paper I could handle it..it was stylized. But they released a figure run of them with this look and they were so odd in 3d

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MuyJingo

It was handled great. It was showing Superman's reluctance of suddenly finding out he has a clone, and dealing with that. It was a very realistic, human take, rather than him just immediately embracing. In the second season, they were a lot closer, which made sense to me.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_ said:

Though, Superman basically felted violated. So it was kinda understanding.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.