Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman: Impossible to make video-game adaptation?

• 77 results
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By MrDirector786

@Primmaster64 said:

Golden Age power levels would be good for a first game.

I think maybe the game could start out like that. There are games out there where you first start out with no weapons and only very basic attacks but upgrade as the game progresses. So he could start out only at GA levels, but as time passes develop heat vision, flight, etc.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Primmaster64
    @MrDirector786: Exactamundo and adding good villains too.
    CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By CODYSF

WB will make a good sups game in the future I know they will just look what they did with the batman game.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By buttersdaman000

The best way to make a Superman game is with a sandbox gameplay style and to not have it limited to earth. When people play Superman they are essentially playing a character with no limits so why should the game version be stuck on a linear path or confined to one area?

Also, I dont want "minions" in the sense of what Batman: AA had. Like, I dont want to use combo moves on cannon fodder enemies and stuff like that. What should happen is that the game should be strictly boss and mini boss fights. Superman doesnt have to focus or fight minions like Batman does so dont put them in my game. Too add to the game, you can have crimes being committed around the earth or even galaxy and you will have the option to go save people.

Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By Thorion88

Personally Death & Return of Superman (Genesis & SNES) & Superman: Shadow of Apokolips (Gamecube & PS2) were pretty good games. IMO. I wouldn't mind seeing another Superman beat-em up/Vs. game featuring Superman, along with Superboy, Supergirl, Steel, Power Girl, & Eradicator beating up the lowlifes of Metropolis, to warriors of War World. heck even have a Vs. Mode where you can not only use the Super Family but if you complete certain tasks in the main campaign you can use Superman Foes to fight as well, such as Luthor(in a powersuit), Bizarro, Parasite, Metallo, Livewire, Brainiac, Silver Banshee, Atomic Skull, Mongul, Doomsday, Hank Henshaw, General Zod, Superwoman(Lucy Lane), & Maxima.

Stages could be Metropolis, Fortress of Solitude, Smallville, Almerac, War World, Phantom Zone, Ruined Metropolis, Kandor, New Krypton, Cadmus Labs, etc.

rightprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By rightprice

Sandbox style gameplay with missions to direct a main storyline. Game mechanics like Prototype for power control and activation. Increase the speed of the dash movement for super speed maneuvering and toss in a bullet-time control, like in Enter the Matrix, for fighting at super speed. Also, have a very interactive environment, much like in prototype or Hulk Ultimate Destruction, with the ability to charge up punches and throws to hit and throw objects different distances. Have a destructible environment so that you can really exercise superman's power. Take into consideration that a building wouldn't structurally withstand superman trying to lift it to explain away an inability to do so, and just have the building break apart or have chunks of the walls tear of if you they to lift one. Keep the Prototype shapeshifting ability but limited to changing between superman's costume and Clark Kent disguise so you the player can do quick changes between the two personas. Have missions/quests where you have to infiltrate places as Clark Kent to get evidence against someone or something like that where you have to be discrete; superman can't just go breaking into buildings without evidence and Clark Kent needs evidence to back up his newspaper articles. The story could start out like Prototype, with the player having a fully powered superman for a mission just so they can get a feel for all the different powers and get the fully powered experience. Then have him be de-powered by some means, red sunlight exposure or massive kryptonite exposure or something that will leave superman very weakened. That way your powers can be built up progressively over the game and a greater variety of enemies with different levels of power can be a threat to superman throughout the game. Sorry if this post isn't very well organized but I'm tired and just kind of splurged this all out in very quickly.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Primmaster64
    @buttersdaman000: Sandbox?
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By buttersdaman000

@Primmaster64 said:

@buttersdaman000: Sandbox?

It means open world style gameplay

Like Infamous or the GTA series

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MrDirector786

Here's what not to do with the game.

No flying through rings. No destroying cars before they run over people. And no having to solve Lex Luthor's maze. :P

Otherwise it will end up being just like..... Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).... which was similar to Superman 64.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Primmaster64
    @buttersdaman000: Oh....Y U NOT JUST SAY OPEN WORLD?? XD
    IamV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By IamV

How about god of war esque superman game??

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Take Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

Replace Hulk, add Superman.

Add flying.

Add Superman's powers.

Create a story that would revolve around enemies that could harm Superman when grouped together.

Create a story where said enemies are eventually teamed up with enemies that could hurt Superman one on one.

Release game.

Creating a Superman game isn't hard, it just needs development time. Superman games usually have solid concepts but aren't given enough development time to make them good.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By buttersdaman000
    @Primmaster64:  
    prim....Y U NO UNDERSTAND VIDEOGAME LINGO?! 
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Primmaster64
    @buttersdaman000: Butter...Y U NOT EXPLAIN GOOD?
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MrDirector786

I think there should be parts where you have to be Clark Kent and collect bus passes. :P

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By buttersdaman000
    @Primmaster64:  
    Hmmmm 
    No Caption Provided
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Primmaster64
    @buttersdaman000: But....how should be the developer?
    Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Inverno

No, its not impossible. Superman Returns had a neat idea of open sandbox, but the "city heath" mechanic was stupid.

ZEELLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By ZEELLO

In disagreement with the OP I think it's possible to make you feel like Superman, even if it must involve methods other than being ridiculously overpowered.

Speaking of which, gaming is about feedback. (otherwise we'd all be playing Kinect instead of controllers, with the sound muted, and the TV) And a lot of feedback is created by limitations. So I guess I just contradicted myself, but basically what I'm saying is that you can actually make the player feel more like Superman by powering-down Superman a bit. (on that note a gaming title Superman would almost definitely have to be powered down anyway.. but to me that doesn't make him "less like Superman")

If you ask me the main obstacle to making a Superman title work is flight controls. The 2nd biggest obstacle is simply the fact that it's a open world... populated with NPCs... where you can move around at Burnout-esque speeds... and rise to Ace Combat heights and beyond. Come to think of it we may have to wait until PS5 and Xbox 1080. Oh well.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By Press Oblivion

I would love to see a new Superman game but the biggest issues with what's come out in the past is flight controls for me.

Dark_Moolahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Dark_Moolahs

@Deranged Midget: Checking heartbeat using X-ray vision. Chapter-style gameplay. Cameos from other superheroes. Best.Idea.Ever. Although destructible environments for a superman game is going to be a pain to program correctly. Given superman's powers(even if they are weakened), they are still super enough to cause some serious damage.
    Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#72  Edited By Black_Claw

I don't think it's downright impossible to make a good superman game. For instance, Superman Returns was crap but it really had a lot of good concepts and I think the next team working on a superman game should look at these concepts and tweak them up a little bit.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Angry Joe the most famous Superman Fan on youtube asked them to do one

Loading Video...

I wish someone who was as big a fan of Superman would work on this and take it seriously instead of just doing the easy one which is Batman. The way I would do the game is kind of like Smallville where he slowly grows more power and gains different abilities. Give the chance of upgrading your powers.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hero92:

Am I the only one that liked Shadow of Apokolips?

Anyway, this is right... A great Superman game is basically an RPB... You start off getting to know your powers, there's a big build up of some kind of super villain that you're about to fight... And then at the end, when you've mastered all the powers and techniques, you fight that villain (I'd go with Doomsday version 1, basically the Death of Superman storyline)

Obviously with that in mind, the game has to be freakin long as hell... But since Superman games are few and far between, I doubt anyone will complain...

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think DC should try making games around characters like Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Arrow or Adam Strange who are easier to bring to videogames and make games around before they attempt a Superman game. I think the scope needed for a Superman game is just too big for the current consoles.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

I think DC should try making games around characters like Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Arrow or Adam Strange who are easier to bring to videogames and make games around before they attempt a Superman game. I think the scope needed for a Superman game is just too big for the current consoles.

Superman would be the GTA of video games the day Virtual Reality is perfected.

RelloMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By RelloMan

I think the idea of it being impossible is just over thinking... As geeks, us fans tend to complain about changes, but lets just be real... You need to weaken Superman in order to make a game out of him...

Superman 64 (and the underrated Shadow of Apokolips) using the DCAU Superman, cause he was significantly weaker than Superman from other medium. You don't have to use that Superman, but u do have to make him about that strong.

Other than that, there's the breakaway buildings... With the weaker Superman, the buildings don't have to crumble when u slam into it, but you should be able to break through the walls of every building (at the very least, with significant enough force).

I personally wouldn't complain about a weaker Superman, still all the powers, just powered down enough to where he can exist in the world (honestly, Superman Returns wasn't bad in this regard). Every building and structure in Metropolis should be breakable (maybe respawning every mission). And there should be some Clark Kent stuff and you have the recipe for a great Superman game.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.