Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman III (1983): Film School

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Richard Lester's unusual and under-rated DC Comics adapted film "Superman III" (1983), starring Christopher Reeve and Richard Pryor, presents the story of the Man of Steel contending with his own kryptonite-fragmented soul and a menacing super-computer built with the funds of an evil trio of wealthy tycoons.

This under-rated film in the colorful mosaic of Superman media (comic books, cartoons, films, television shows, etc.) offers us very unique and entertaining tokens:

1. Christopher Reeve - arguably the best Superman on the silver screen

2. the Evil Computer - a very symbolic item for the modern world

3. Kryptonite horror - a silver screen shocker

4. Corrupt Tycoons - very symbolic for capitalism troubles

5. Clark's high school reunion - a nice touch

The fact that Superman must contend with an evil computer and his own fragmented soul reveals why this Richard Lester film represents modern age anxieties --- i.e., industrialization arrogance (computing) and ethics (capitalism).

Perhaps Reaganomics cemented in the minds of Americans the complications of arrogance in the pool of capitalism --- i.e., Star Wars.

Superman's chest insignia represents a perception of patience and democratic virtue in the face of humanity's corruption and gluttony. Superman contending with a menacing super-computer reveals why this superhero symbolizes American values.

How does the marketing of toys in America reflect the consumerism-criticism symbolism in Richard Lester's "Superman III" (1983)? Such questions inspire us comic book fans to consider how the superhero art genre is very relevant to modern civilization.

Superman III (1983)

Super Naturals Toys ('80s): Holograms

Transformers Robot Spy Cassette Toys

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@abishai100: It was so bad, it was good. Makes me laugh when I watch it. That's also the kind of reflection on how Superman has evolved into a darker story. Seriously, people need to make superman have more campy moments and bring in some campy characters. Plus the Superdickery in SM3 was funny too.

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Functionalism: Fortune Cookie

A little harmless sarcasm is important when you're presenting some kind of elemental weakness of Superman.

Here's a nice question --- should Superman be more vulnerable to kryptonite or a giant computer?

Types of Kryptonite

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

To me it was bad. So painful to watch I refuse to see it.

Saw it twice. The second time because I couldn't believe how bad it was, so I thought I missed something. But no. It was terrible and it still is.

Yes it may have had all those underlying messages, but nothing excuses what was shown in the movie.

One as to be near braindead or really drunk or high to appreciate such debacle. At least you'll never catch me seeing it sober, that's for sure.

All that was shown in movie was idiotic, make so little sense, and most cases made no sense whatsoever, that if I start to watch it sober, my brain starts to bleed.

It a movie that makes people dumb, not smarter. Because once they watch it, normally I only hear the dumbest questions.

The going back in time from the first movie and Zod and the others talking in the vacuum of space in the second, just to name the more in our face lunacy, were bad enough.

But Superman 3 and 4. They should be on every class of filmography in the world. Under the title "How a movie should not be made!"

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman 3 was an example of how they changed the script and made the film worse. The crooked business moguls were a discount Lex Luthor, pretty much in all but name. The original plan was to actually have Brainiac as the villain, but the final choice was not too. Pryor is funny, but the movie didn't really bring out his potential. It would take some really nerdy person to realize the one legit aspect of the film where Pryor's character Gus writes legit lines of code on a computer screen. Annette O Toole was also better in Smallville, IMHO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never watched this movie to completion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.