Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman - Hawkman Timeline Question

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JV

So I just read Hawkman#12 and I thought the ending was pretty cool. Pike gave some explanation of history and where things may go, as he called it "destiny"

He explained that the Daemonites are controlled by Helspont and destroy and take over Worlds etc..... ok pretty cool.

But I remember reading in Superman#8 that Helspont had been banished by the Daemonites and is seeking revenge.

I believe Hawkman and Supeman are both running in the same timeline or did I miss something? Or perhaps Pike is unaware of Helspont being banished and is already on Earth? Or did DC just mess up? HELP!!!!

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Jekylhyde14

I can't offer you any concrete answers. I haven't even read an issue of Hawkman since the New 52 began. From what I remember of the original Helspont and Daemonites from WildC.A.Ts vol, 1, Helspont and his army of Daemonites were trapped on Earth while there was a larger army of Daemonites out in the cosmos. Perhaps, in this reality, Helspont managed to retain the loyalty of a fair number of Daemonites after his exile who followed him to Earth. In Superman, he revealed his ambition to begin his conquests again and eventually return to the Daemonite empire and conquer it. Maybe he kept a small Daemonite army that served him in Hawkman so he could pursue this ambition. Maybe it's sort of like Napoleon. He was in exile but had loyal troops ready for whenever he escaped. This isn't explicitly stated anywhere in the comics. I'm just throwing a reasonable explanation out there.

During his rant, Rob Liefeld mentioned a Daemonite crossover that was supposed to occur in Superman, Hawkman, and Grifter. It was all planned out and Rob had even started laying out plot developments for it, but then he heard that the Superman office changed their minds about doing the crossover. It was supposed to happen this fall so I imagine the Hel on Earth Superman/Superboy/Supergirl crossover was green lighted in its place. Anyway, I figure the answer that you're looking for probably would have been revealed during that story had it gone through. It does feel like the communication between editors in DC isn't perfect, though, so maybe they made a mistake? In any event, we haven't seen the last of Helspont or the Daemonites so I'm sure you'll get some kind of explanation eventually.

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JV

Thanks much for the detailed reply. That really helped out a lot.

I only started reading with the New 52, so history beyond one year is shaky for me. I rely on forums and Wiki to fill in the blanks.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@JV:

You're quite welcome! I'm glad you found my reply helpful. Jumping into comics can be hard even after a reboot because the creators still tend to rely on a characters prior history sometimes without even thinking about it.

Oh, and I hope you picked up the Superman Annual this week. It addressed your question and maybe even answered it. Or... it may just add to the confusion. Either way, the Daemonites are shaping up to be a significant threat on Earth.

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JV

Yes, I will be getting it tomorrow. I use to work in NYC and supported Midtown Comics, however my job recently moved back to NJ. I now am on mail order from Midtown Comics so I can keep supporting them. Plus they are pretty large and are never out of stock.

Funny thing getting back into Comics. I am 40 and read them as a kid, then just stopped at some point. Now my kid loves Superheros so I found myself in the Comic shop often trying to find him unique action figures. It was just at the the time Flashpoint was taking place. So I talked to the guy and he said it was a good time to jump in. It has been great. Now I get 13 Comics and he gets 2. Superman Family Adventures and Green Lantern Animated Series.

Thanks again.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@JV:

Glad to hear that the New 52 got you back into comics, and that you're introducing them to your kid. I just became an uncle and my first presents to the nephew just happened to be a Superman plushie and a Spider-Man plushie (I don't want to lead him into becoming a DC fan, I want him to make the choice himself). I hoped that DC's reboot would lure some new readers in or some readers back. It seems like it worked to some degree.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.