Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Flash race

opis34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By opis34

So do you guys think Superman and Flash will have a race in the new 52?

Also guys just because flash is faster than superman does not mean they can't still have a fun race for charity or something.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sacredweapons
    No Caption Provided

Best race ever. I dont want another one. I wan this one. I dont want one where its close. I dont want one where superman is miles ahead. And I dont want one thats like this. I want this.

That being said I put 20 dollars on yes.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Self-DCeit

No real point in it. The two were evenly matched in the Silver/Bronze age, but Flash has clearly been the fastest of the two for a while now. As he should be.

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
    Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, Flash should be undisputedly faster than Superman, what would be the point of him if Superman was faster or even as fast?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually New 52 Superman is faster than the Flash. The main diference is how their powers work and what one can do without causing mass destruction and the other can't.

The Flash is powered by the Speed Force, which allows him to speed up to near light and even light speeds without having massive inconveniences, like, oohh I don't know... Something called inertia! Which causes major draw backs when moving at supersonic speeds inside Earth's atmosphere.

Superman on the other hand, doesn't have that. So he has to limit his speed to the point where he can go from A to B without killing and destroying everything in his path.

Superman is clearly faster, he can travel in space from solar systems to other solar systems in a matter of hours, the Flash can't. In fact the Flash has (or at least in the past had) the problem of the Terminal Velocity. If any speeder reached the speed of light he or she was basicaly signing his or her death sentence.

So to answer the question posted. We don't need any race to tell us what we already know. On Earth the Flash is faster than Superman, but only because Superman has to let be so.

Place both of them in a uninhabited planet and tell them to race each other. Now that would show a completely different result.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@heavenlydarkdragon: think back to JL#3 or 4, Flash outran the Omega beams, Superman could not.

That was the point of that scene, it was to set a scale of power.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They should have just stuck with them being evenly matched. They won't because Barry needs a reason for existing.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj_was_here:

Thanks.

That doesn't change the fact that I'm right.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591:

Again a case of writer mistake. Think about what I said. If Superman went all speed the shock wave would've caused how much destruction, you think? A lot.

Of course he could have simply flown upwards into space where his speed would not have been a problem. Again, writers creating scenarious where they manipulate scenes to get a specific point through.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

It's an iconic thing for DC. They should do it.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By w0nd
    @heavenlydarkdragon said:

Actually New 52 Superman is faster than the Flash. The main diference is how their powers work and what one can do without causing mass destruction and the other can't.

The Flash is powered by the Speed Force, which allows him to speed up to near light and even light speeds without having massive inconveniences, like, oohh I don't know... Something called inertia! Which causes major draw backs when moving at supersonic speeds inside Earth's atmosphere.

Superman on the other hand, doesn't have that. So he has to limit his speed to the point where he can go from A to B without killing and destroying everything in his path.

Superman is clearly faster, he can travel in space from solar systems to other solar systems in a matter of hours, the Flash can't. In fact the Flash has (or at least in the past had) the problem of the Terminal Velocity. If any speeder reached the speed of light he or she was basicaly signing his or her death sentence.

So to answer the question posted. We don't need any race to tell us what we already know. On Earth the Flash is faster than Superman, but only because Superman has to let be so.

Place both of them in a uninhabited planet and tell them to race each other. Now that would show a completely different result.

Superman is clearly faster, he can travel in space from solar systems to other solar systems in a matter of hours, the Flash can't.

of course he can't he can't fly

You are treating them as if they are real, and trying to apply some form of logic to them. Something Stan Lee told readers to stop doing. It comes down to what the writers want, simple as that, and at no point did they say superman is faster. you can't just come to this conclusion because they haven't said otherwise yet...you could apply that logic to any character really. "Well he didn't say he couldn't do it, so he probably can"

He couldn't outrun the omega beams, that was because he was holding back so he wouldn't cause destruction.

The city was pretty much destroyed and that area was evacuated...there was an invasion going on. Flash out ran them, he didn't simple as that.

Pre 52 he said "those were for charity" and sped off leaving superman dumb founded with a shocked look on his face. Another scene flat out telling you flash was faster then too, but that also isn't the case because superman was holding back then as well? not to disrupt that body of ocean or something? Sometimes the writers put simple scenes in like that to get the point across. "it's time we just tell the reader flash is the fastest man alive. There a scene where he leaves superman in his dust, the end"

but there is always that person who reads in between the lines of everything, finding answers that support their points that don't exist

sometimes people need to just stop over thinking, as smart as they are, some times it really is the simplest answer. Flash outran superman, Flash told superman he was never trying, Flash is faster. Pre 52. New 52 is undetermined

Loading Video...

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd:

Come on. I'm speaking simple english here, not a MIT class.

Ok. I see that you take things has they are given to you, no questions asked. So if DC with Superman, 2015, power change made him the most powerful being on Earth, just because, you'd never question anything. Writers are always right, right...?

I'm not like that. I can't connect to a character without at least paying its due respect. I have to understand it to some point, be able to look at him or her and say "Okay. I see how this could be." I don't simply accept everything that writers write. Why!... Here's why:

1. Writers are constantly changing, and with that change the characters also change.

2. Most writers are good at pulling rabits out of their asses, but good and awesome writers can create great stories and also give you a logic that although it can't be proven at least leaves you thinking "Ok. I guess it could be like that, maybe". A good writer at least tries to connect with the readers.

3. And DC writers are if anything uncooperative with each other. Look at all the different Superman featured comics. Action Comics, Superman, Justice League, Superman-Wonder Woman, Superman Unleashed, all show Superman in different ways. They add powers, they remove powers, they make him stronger, make him weaker, and so on and so on....

4. And most of all they skip all logic thought when it suits them.

So okay, I can understand the reason why they feel the need to stand out each superhero qualities. I've said it so before. If the writers used logic, even comics book logic, then the Justice league would have only four members. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Cyborg. All the others would be pretty much irrelevant.

So you believe whatever you want to believe. I'll go with what to me makes the least bit of sense.

And so we understand each other, the flying part was logic, one does not run from one solar system to another, we have to fly there. I thought that was clear has water. But ok, here's something you can relate. Imagine a road, from Earth to Alpha Centauri, Superman would fly and the Flash would run there. Superman would be faster because he can move faster than light, the Flash can't.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ariesxmasters

The Flash is faster. The New 52 Flash immediately cleared that up. And as someone above stated "They won't because Barry needs a reason for existing." That pretty much sums up it all. I mean if Superman was the fastest, the strongest, the smartest, the most durable, then that would take away from other characters. Why would we need Batman for his combat and tactician smartness, when we got Superman? Why do we need Flash when Superman is faster? Why do we need other power houses like Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam ,if Superman can just one punch the enemy and he's gone and not need help every now and then? Why would we need enemies like Lex Luthor or Brainiac who is a genius when Superman is even smarter and one step ahead of him? Why would we need someone like Wraith who is Superior to Superman in every way, if Superman is the fastest and the strongest? What is the point of guys like Psycho Pirate if Superman is so Durable mind control doesn't work. If Superman was like that it would take away from many many other character and he would get looked more down upon for me Invincible instead of just powerful but beatable.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@heavenlydarkdragon: Nope, they were both moving at nearly full speed. Flash escaped it, Superman couldn't. Flash > Superman in terms of speed. Superman doesn't have to be best at everething.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No real point in it. The two were evenly matched in the Silver/Bronze age, but Flash has clearly been the fastest of the two for a while now. As he should be.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couple points

The Flash is just as much about time travel than he is about speed anymore(which I don't like,I like him being the fastest human myself that's it).

Superman is getting more powerful as the years go by,so he has no limits,besides the limit of his present state.

I think superman would be more SUPER if he wasn't a part of a team,make him the most powerful being on the planet that works alone,and only sometimes he joins the other heroes.have the team be made up of someone to represent the strong one,fast one,smart one,energy guy,etc.superman is the total package,the team is seperate parts of the total package.

The Flash is better at acceleration and reflexive movement,superman is better when he has a lot of space and room to go all out.

multiAQWorlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Give it up Superman Fanboy. No matter how powerful Superman gets, he ain't gonna be faster than the Speed-force.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@multiaqworlds:

Sorry Flash Lover. Not gonna buy it until I see a clear match between the two.

No "obstacles" for both of them, in a race where there's no room left to question who's faster. Until DC does that, I'm right and you're right. Deal with it.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177:

I agree. The Flash ability to time travel is a little to much, but seeing that in the Multiversity "map" the Speed Force is more powerful than the Bleed and 5th dimension energy, time travel does make sense.

And yes. Superman should quit the League. It doesn't do anything for him except limit what he can do. A extreme emergency option would suit him better. Even Wonder Woman is wasted in the League.

multiAQWorlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By multiAQWorlds

@heavenlydarkdragon: A race in the deserted ocean is not "no obstacles"? There already has been a clear match.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earth isn't a viable place to have a real race with superman he would destroy it by the time the race was over.also flash accelerates faster than superman so are we talking a quick race or a marathon race,cause the result would be different for both.

Btw the gold medalist fastest man alive would still get caught and get his ass kicked by the UFC heavyweight champ,so being faster isn't the be all and end all to power or winning.

multiAQWorlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177: Talking bout' a race bro, not a fight. But Flash will win any race Supes' can dish out.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@multiaqworlds: my 1st paragraph was about a race,the 2nd was about a straight up fight.

And no flash can't take what Supes can dish out,it's hilarious to even think he could,at most he can dodge and knock supes around or make him dizzy,superman is God level.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.