Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman fans on The Dark Knight Returns?

• 63 results
    KDP2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By KDP2

So, I watched this Angry Joe rant on the Superman/Batman movie today and he was very upset about The Dark Knight Returns.

As a huge Batman fan, I love The Dark Knight Returns and is the only book that I've read more than 10 times. But do most Superman fans hate The Dark Knight Returns as much as Angry Joe does? Like, I get that it totally doesn't give justice to Superman, but this is a what-if story... And at the time, Superman was known for his American way so why wouldn't he be pro-American government and always stay by its side?

So yeah, what are Superman fans' thoughts on The Dark Knight Returns? Is it a good piece of literature even though it doesn't portray Superman well, or is it really bad because of what they did to Superman?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, I hate that part of the book. Before I got to the Superman disrespect, I was digging the story, but Miller's treatment of Supes broke it for me. I really got the impression that Miller was just a Batman fanboy who's jealousy for Superman being the top dog caused him to write an extremely unflattering depiction of Superman as a naive goody-goody yes-man.

Superman was a good patriotic guy, but he wouldn't support a government that was as morally corrupt as Miller presents. And I very highly doubt Superman was a big fan of war in the 80's. I would take Superman from Superman IV: The Quest for Peace over the Superman in TDKR. As stupidly idealistic as that movie was, at least it kinda made sense for Superman. TDKR Supes came off as a hamfisted satire of Superman rather than an actual depiction of him.

I actually compare TDKR and Kingdom Come because both series address similar situations and have similar journeys for Batman and Superman respectively. However, one of the many reasons why KC is better is because it doesn't break down one character to build up another which is TDKR's greatest sin. Sure, they are at odds during parts of the series, but Clark never shows up Bats and at the end they reconcile as friends.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. We do hate it. At least the part that features Superman. This is pretty much where the trend of 'Batman beats Superman' started.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UltimateSMfan

I like tdkr it's a really good batman story but the way superman is used in it makes me want to tear my hair out. I did not like that at all.

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Frankmillerman to me isn't batman to me its Franks Millers opinion of the DC universe,some say he likes Superman but doesnt like how Superman was being portrayed or how WW was being portrayed cause in franks eyes Superman wasn't the Social Crusader he used to be which i agree with i mean its only now in the New 52 he is going back to being about that. What i hate though is that Frank Miller made Batman and Superman hate each other and to me that's not right after Bruce calls Clark a brother he never had this is what you do frank. Batman sees both WW and Superman has his somewhat surrogate Brother and Sister. This i couldn't forgive frank for it, just because Batman and Superman had different opinions on what a superhero should be.

Some say which i think is also true is that Superman in franks eyes was too much of a Liberal Superhero ( -_-) which is weird cause you have Green Arrow the most liberal hero ever. Anyhow to Frank some fans say Batman was a conservative wet dream or some crap like that, Bruce being portrayed has a Neo-Conservative was pushing it for me at least cause thats what Frank Millers batman was but that's the politics of it or that Batman is a Facist and Superman is a communist. Yeah there is a lot of implications that Frank Miller didn't respect the DC characters apart from Batman, but sometimes i think where his portrayals of DC characters him feeling that they weren't what they used to be in terms of there ideals.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I haven't bought the comic, but I flicked through it recently in Waterstones and wasn't impressed by the ending. A poor portrayal of Superman. Firstly I couldn't understand why he was so weakened by a nuclear blast. I mean if Superman can live in the sun, how could even being at ground zero on a blast hurt him? Then there's the whole "I want you to remember" speech, which is just spite.

Having said all that, the Batman fan side of me (I like both characters) is wondering if I should at some point buy it to add the my collection!!!

Personally I prefer Superman Red Son, which also has Batman defeating Superman, but I think in that novel the way the Batman of that world goes about doing it is more realistic and quite clever.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

Yeah, I hate that part of the book. Before I got to the Superman disrespect, I was digging the story, but Miller's treatment of Supes broke it for me. I really got the impression that Miller was just a Batman fanboy who's jealousy for Superman being the top dog caused him to write an extremely unflattering depiction of Superman as a naive goody-goody yes-man.

Superman was a good patriotic guy, but he wouldn't support a government that was as morally corrupt as Miller presents. And I very highly doubt Superman was a big fan of war in the 80's. I would take Superman from Superman IV: The Quest for Peace over the Superman in TDKR. As stupidly idealistic as that movie was, at least it kinda made sense for Superman. TDKR Supes came off as a hamfisted satire of Superman rather than an actual depiction of him.

I actually compare TDKR and Kingdom Come because both series address similar situations and have similar journeys for Batman and Superman respectively. However, one of the many reasons why KC is better is because it doesn't break down one character to build up another which is TDKR's greatest sin. Sure, they are at odds during parts of the series, but Clark never shows up Bats and at the end they reconcile as friends.

^That was beautiful man.

*Sheds manly tears*

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

I haven't bought the comic, but I flicked through it recently in Waterstones and wasn't impressed by the ending. A poor portrayal of Superman. Firstly I couldn't understand why he was so weakened by a nuclear blast. I mean if Superman can live in the sun, how could even being at ground zero on a blast hurt him? Then there's the whole "I want you to remember" speech, which is just spite.

Having said all that, the Batman fan side of me (I like both characters) is wondering if I should at some point buy it to add the my collection!!!

Personally I prefer Superman Red Son, which also has Batman defeating Superman, but I think in that novel the way the Batman of that world goes about doing it is more realistic and quite clever.

It's an alternate Universe. The power levels thing doesn't surprise me (so long as they built up and pointed out that he didn't seem as strong as in Main Stream continuity).

Also, I pretty sure a large reason of why he can live in the sun is because it super charges him.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@rdclip said:

I agree wholeheartedly.Couldn't say it better.

dcdyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dcdyno

it was just a quote from a graphic novel that wasn't even cannon before the new 52

dcdyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dcdyno

@perezite said:

@bezza said:

It's an alternate Universe. The power levels thing doesn't surprise me (so long as they built up and pointed out that he didn't seem as strong as in Main Stream continuity).

Also, I pretty sure a large reason of why he can live in the sun is because it super charges him.

he died in all*star superman because of getting super charged by the sun

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcdyno said:

@perezite said:

@bezza said:

That's ANOTHER, DIFFERENT universe.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I liked it for what it was an alternate reality telling of Superman and Batman.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deaditegonzo

I do hate it, but unlike everyone else here, I also think Frank Miller is a hack of a writer. As in, I dont even think it was good BEFORE the Superman part.

The other thing is, is that it completely inverted the two characters. Batman has always been the authoritarian, putting law and order first. This is the reason Batman's arch nemesis, the Joker, is an agent of Chaos, because that is Batman's opposite. Superman would always put altruism above the law, and basically every portrayal besides the DKR one shows this, whether it is him forcibly disarming the world's governments or telling the UN off in the New 52. This is why his arch nemesis is Lex Luthor, who is an agent of Order and is part of "the establishment".

To simplify it, I'll use D&D terms: Batman is Lawful Good id argue Lawful Neutral in the Miller/Dark Age versions) and the Joker is Chaotic Evil, Superman is Chaotic Good and Lex Luthor (And Darkseid) are Lawful Evil.

dcdyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite said:

@dcdyno said:

@perezite said:

@bezza said:

That's ANOTHER, DIFFERENT universe.

sorry

dcdyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it for what it was an alternate reality telling of Superman and Batman.

agree

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By consolemaster001

I thought it was great but i gate the whole "supes is a government tool"

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: THANK YOU YO!!!!!! Like seriously this is what i am talking about this is why Frank Millers Superman doesnt make sense if his villains Darkseid and Lex Luthor are about lawful evil. Superman being lawful good makes him kinda like the villains he fight who think of the opposite. Lex Luthor manipulates the systems for his own personal gain

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would imagine superman fans don't like it because he was beat up by batman. But it was a totally bad@ss book still for batman. But if I was a superman fan I would be upset. At least it isn't really in continuity I guess

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Yes i hate that entire book.

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
    Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the book, I don't like their portrayal of Superman considering he's probably my favorite hero, but to me it's still a good story. Also, I don't think Batman would have gotten as far in that fight as he did if Ollie didn't help him out.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just think that the whole thing sucks, I mean Frank Miller couldn't write a Batman villain decently to save his life, Two-Face, Joker, Catwoman he sucks with all of them.

the underlying political message or tone of the thing rubs me the absolute wrong way.

I think the portrayal (more like betrayal) of Superman might be the most significant grievance I, a Superman fan, have with the book, if only because of how significant it is but I think it sucks through and through.

I thought Year One was pretty good, and some of his Dare Devil stuff, but other than that I don't care for Frank Miller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Honestly, I don't mind it as much as most Superman fans do. I would hate it if it was part of continuity because it is an awful representation of Supes but as an else world, its fine.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

It's amazing how people completely miss the point of things.

Batman didn't beat Superman. He managed to get a few good shots in against a Superman who had just been nuked and gassed with concentrated Kryptonite, inside a sunlight-less Gotham. And the fight ended with Batman having a heart attack.

Superman didn't "support" the Government, he acted as their agent so he was able to continue saving people, and prevent nuclear war. Superman showed a willingness to forsake his pride in order to protect the world. He'll outlive these idiotic Governments, he'll remain the Earth's protector long after the Cold War ends. But he has to get the world to survive with him. The only way to do that was act as a weapon for the US that meant they didn't rely on nukes. But people naturally take that as a shot, for some reason.

Batman wasn't able to let go of his pride and one of his wards went insane, the second died, his third he has a very disturbing Lolita-style relationship with, and his oldest friend has a stroke.

Batman brought order to Gotham by creating an army of malcontents. What happens when Batman dies? Those malcontents will flock to someone else and use the skills Batman taught them to cause more chaos around Gotham. Who'll eventually stop it? Superman.

Batman saved Gotham for awhile with short-sighted thinking.

Superman prevented the Cold War, by looking ahead and giving up his pride so as to make that terrible world a safer place.

The Dark Knight Returned, but the Man of Steel was Triumphant.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: Great post but i don't think this is what Miller had in mind when he wrote the book.
    If i remember correctly he said that he was disappointed that Byrne's Superman lost the anti-establisment element of the Golden age Superman.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love DKR. It's one of the essential reads of a DC fan. What I don't like are people using DKR as an excuse to justify Bats beating Supes.

Gint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gint

@fadetoblackbolt said:

It's amazing how people completely miss the point of things.

Batman didn't beat Superman. He managed to get a few good shots in against a Superman who had just been nuked and gassed with concentrated Kryptonite, inside a sunlight-less Gotham. And the fight ended with Batman having a heart attack.

Superman didn't "support" the Government, he acted as their agent so he was able to continue saving people, and prevent nuclear war. Superman showed a willingness to forsake his pride in order to protect the world. He'll outlive these idiotic Governments, he'll remain the Earth's protector long after the Cold War ends. But he has to get the world to survive with him. The only way to do that was act as a weapon for the US that meant they didn't rely on nukes. But people naturally take that as a shot, for some reason.

Batman wasn't able to let go of his pride and one of his wards went insane, the second died, his third he has a very disturbing Lolita-style relationship with, and his oldest friend has a stroke.

Batman brought order to Gotham by creating an army of malcontents. What happens when Batman dies? Those malcontents will flock to someone else and use the skills Batman taught them to cause more chaos around Gotham. Who'll eventually stop it? Superman.

Batman saved Gotham for awhile with short-sighted thinking.

Superman prevented the Cold War, by looking ahead and giving up his pride so as to make that terrible world a safer place.

The Dark Knight Returned, but the Man of Steel was Triumphant.

I have to agree with everthing you said. DKR Superman isnt as bad as it is made out to be.In DKSA it is made clear that the government was holding Kandor hostage,so Superman tries to do as much good as he can even though he is forced to work with a corrupt govt.Most people look at the comic and say "ha Batman beat up Superman,hes so cool " which is why it gets annoying for fans.

Miller's Batman however is extremely short-sighted and petty. Evertime anyone tells him something he doest want to hear he says "they ruined it by talking".

DKR is not the best portrayal of Superman and neither is Kingdom Come.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@fadetoblackbolt:

Great post but i don't think this is what Miller had in mind when he wrote the book.

If i remember correctly he said that he was disappointed that Byrne's Superman lost the anti-establisment element of the Golden age Superman.

Doesn't matter if it's what he intended lol

The volleyball scene in Top Gun wasn't intended to be so homo-erotic, but here we are.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: I never thought i would find a batman fan that doesn't worship DKR 0_o
    Personally it was one of the first batman comics i read and since i was very young i didn't catch much of the depth of the situation.
    Nice post and you make me wanna re-read it now.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I really enjoy the first half.

Carrie Kelly is one of the worst characters ever.

Batman's a sociopath whose relationship with her is just downright disturbing.

No, I don't worship it :P

I still love certain scenes though like the mudpit fight.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: I loved the first half.The whole mutant leader scene the "operating table" was awesome,seeing Bruce return as Batman was great.The Joker part was good but It didn't really stand out to me after the first half and then the Superman act which i liked but with the passage of time i really learned to ignore.I was a pretty big batman fan when i first read the story i remember i bought it because "Batman beats Superman"!

For me the best batman i have read is Killing Joke and Morrison's Batman & Robin these two are pure brilliance.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

It's actually complicated for me...I read that book years ago, and back then, I pretty much read books that only contained Batman in it...so when I first read it, I was sorta pleased.

But the years have passed, and I've actually grown to resent the treatment that Batman has had over the years. not just by the fans, but by DC as well.

I still very much like the book, but now I'm actually not too happy about how Superman (who I probably like more than Batman nowadays) was written - especially during 'that' fight scene.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the book was a good read but I hate the way Supes is portrayed. S

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The video made me wonder a bunch of other stuff too, like - why the hell would you remove the figurines from their boxes?

As to the OP's actual question. As a Superman fan, I would say that I actually enjoyed TDKR, however was originally a bit annoyed with how Superman was portrayed. It grew on me though (despite it's problems) and I enjoyed it for an else-worlds story as many others have said. I think the reason most Superman fans don't like it is because it became fodder for every Batman fanboy since then, as to why Batman would be beat Superman, in forums such as these. It's annoying and ridiculous and just gets every Superman fan on edge.

The setting and era of the story is key though, and often gets over-looked. Also it IS a Batman story - so of course he is going to dominate in it. I don't disagree that both characters ended up being very different to our general perceptions of them, but hey - that happens all the time in comics. Every writer puts their own spin on things, and some writers doing these else-worlds style stories get given complete and total free reign.

SugarNickVirga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Bats and Supes. They are my #1 & #2

"Returns" is a great story. Supes was very much the same guy but he was working for the government so he could still operate as a hero. So he was willing to do things he might not like so he could still help. Very noble. Plus he saved the Earth basically by stopping the bomb and preventing nuclear war. When Superman is talking to the Earth in that story it's a great moment.

The fight between the 2 heroes was one of only a few times Bats vs Supes works. Batman was at the end of his life,Supes was at half strength.

People say Batman beat Superman in "Returns" but only one of them was conscious at the end and that was Superman. Plus we see Superman's caring side when he yells at the Police not to touch Batman. Superman was still the noble caring person in that story.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My hand at your throat Clark, remember when us Batman fans finally beat you Superman fans.,

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

My hand at your throat Clark, remember when us Batman fans finally beat you Superman fans.,

In a contest over which fans are the most delusional and angry, we loose big time.

Avatar image for ashamedsubmissive
    AshamedSubmissive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sugarnickvirga: We share many of the same feelings, but you have a much more healthy approach to the film. Both Supes and bates are my 1# and 2# respectively and while I enjoyed returns, and his soliloquy when he's absorbing the energy from the Earth is amazing, but for then he'll ruin it by referring to people as weak and stupid and always needing his help and all, and to me if he actually had those thoughts he wouldn't be doing what he does. He'd probably pull a Red Son and rule us. It would be noble if Batman wasn't a little right in that story about that version of Superman. But then again Batman in that story was almost a little too "Frank Miller", it balanced out due to his age, it was kinda sweet like a grouchy old man... except that man was Batman so he's super grouchy and doesn't take any shit, if you're on his lawn, then you're probably gonna miss the use of your legs when he'd done. (If you read all star batman and robin... well THAT is when Miller went over the edge)

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I hate it. Absolutely terrible story and even more garbage artwork.

KDP2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Bats and Supes. They are my #1 & #2

"Returns" is a great story. Supes was very much the same guy but he was working for the government so he could still operate as a hero. So he was willing to do things he might not like so he could still help. Very noble. Plus he saved the Earth basically by stopping the bomb and preventing nuclear war. When Superman is talking to the Earth in that story it's a great moment.

The fight between the 2 heroes was one of only a few times Bats vs Supes works. Batman was at the end of his life,Supes was at half strength.

People say Batman beat Superman in "Returns" but only one of them was conscious at the end and that was Superman. Plus we see Superman's caring side when he yells at the Police not to touch Batman. Superman was still the noble caring person in that story.

See, these were basically my thoughts. Also, if you watch the special features on The Dark Knight Returns, one of the comic writers makes a good point that they're only staging this for the rest of the world. They are working out how to be at good terms with one another for the rest of their lives (assuming we don't count The Dark Knight Strikes Again as ever existing).

Laporik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I think that the fans of Superman AND the fans of Catwoman too can hate the book. I hate it because Superman would never does that kind of thing, he would never get beat like that.

And the American way doesn't following the USA. It's kinda like for Captain America, it means supporting values like freedom and democracy.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deathstroke52

Yeah, I don't really like that part of the book at all. Miller writes Superman so terribly. I don't like Frank Miller.

Bats_Colony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bats_Colony

@kdp2:

Superman, before being super, is morally inclined. Like Captain America, superman doesn't question his superiors.

His appearance was certainly eye opening. I mean, aside from the fact that superman's presence lights up the dark city of Gotham, he is the face of superhero genre. That's quite a big "print" in the comic book world whether you're a fan of his or not. Superman is so iconic he's even mentioned in Marvel! Take Spider-man, 2002, for example. Aunt May says the following to Peter Parker-- "You do too much. You're not superman you know."

With all that said, I enjoyed watching superman in The Dark Knight Returns. But at the same time, a part of me hated that he paraded (unintentionally of course) over our Caped Crusader's glory. So when Batman balanced the scales, or at least I like to think so, with kryptonite, I felt relieved; mainly because two of the most recognizable superheroes aren't overshadowing one another.

be4man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drudox19: Thats a 55 YEAR OLD BATAMAN! He has seen it all, of course he won't like some 30 year old US government poster boy.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kdp2:

Superman, before being super, is morally inclined. Like Captain America, superman doesn't question his superiors.

His appearance was certainly eye opening. I mean, aside from the fact that superman's presence lights up the dark city of Gotham, he is the face of superhero genre. That's quite a big "print" in the comic book world whether you're a fan of his or not. Superman is so iconic he's even mentioned in Marvel! Take Spider-man, 2002, for example. Aunt May says the following to Peter Parker-- "You do too much. You're not superman you know."

With all that said, I enjoyed watching superman in The Dark Knight Returns. But at the same time, a part of me hated that he paraded (unintentionally of course) over our Caped Crusader's glory. So when Batman balanced the scales, or at least I like to think so, with kryptonite, I felt relieved; mainly because two of the most recognizable superheroes aren't overshadowing one another.

First of all, this is not true. Superman doesn't have a superior, he isn't a military man like Captain America. Seeing as how one of Superman's antagonists is General Sam Lane, I think we can say for sure that Superman questions authority. Hell, his first appearance had him facing off against a crooked politician.

Besides being wrong wrong on Superman, you're also wrong about Captain America. In 2016, Marvel is coming out with a movie called Captain America: Civil War. Who is the main antagonist in that story? The U.S. Government, like in his last movie.

Enough of this bull excuse people keeping spouting that Superman was written correctly because he would never challenge authority. Do you think that if a police man told Superman to kill a criminal that he would? Do you think that if the president told a canon Superman to heat vision an entire country that he would? If the answer is no, then Superman DOES question authority.

No Caption Provided

And I don't want to hear Miller's crap about Superman selling out and being propaganda! Every hero was used as propaganda!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I'm honestly indifferent about it. I think it's a good story and don't really care how Superman was used. Let them have it, my problem is when Batfans start shoving it in your face as a the only victory that matters and mock Superman because of it. Especially now because of the set fight in BvS, they think Batman is gonna stomp Superman. They ignore that story wise it doesn't make sense and that at the end of the day they have to form the JL. TDKR is set post JL and their relationship isn't in good standing.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have thought about Dark Knight Superman for a while, and given how bad the situation was, Superman didn't do as badly as some may say. He did prevent nuclear war, which saved billions of lives. He did make tough choices so that he did not have to go underground and could still operate as a hero. Yeah, he wasn't the greatest guy. But in Frank Miller's world, it's an awful world that takes ugly heroes and anti heroes to save it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.