Superman Doesn't need a third ongoing!

• 70 results
#1 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree with the idea of three ongoings for one superhero and even though Supes is my favorite superhero i don't think he needs a third ongoing!

DC should focus on improving Action Comics and Superman rather than planing another title.The Snyder/Lee project (which i will definetely buy :-P) it would be better as a mini-series or something.

What do you think does Supes need another title or DC should improve the current ones?

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6417 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon: It doesn't surprise me that it's happening considering Batman currently has five ongoings.

I'm not a Superman reader, so I don't know what's happening in the current two series', but maybe this new one will be different enough to be justified. I think some of the legal disputes over his costume have been resolved, so maybe he'll be in a more classic costume. I know that some people would like to see that.

#3 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I am not ok with the five batman ongoings either!

I believe that they occupy creative teams needed to improve the titles of other heroes!

The two current superman series aren't bad but they could be a lot better

The new series will have the new52 costume actually and a costume isn't something worth of a third series :-P

#4 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5530 posts) - - Show Bio
@V_Scarlotte_Rose

@Squalleon: It doesn't surprise me that it's happening considering Batman currently has five ongoings.

I'm not a Superman reader, so I don't know what's happening in the current two series', but maybe this new one will be different enough to be justified. I think some of the legal disputes over his costume have been resolved, so maybe he'll be in a more classic costume. I know that some people would like to see that.

I've read sporadically and liked the Action Comics version with him learning his powers and them not being portrayed as a bland boy scout so I hope they can take him in another direction. BUT IF THE UNDERWEAR COMES BACK IM OUT.
#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6417 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon: Yeah, five seems like too many.

Good point, maybe we wouldn't see so many titles getting cancelled if the Batman writers/artists were focusing on other things.

Would putting Scott Snyder and Jim Lee on one of them instead be a better idea in your opinion?

Oh, fair enough.

#6 Posted by entropy_aegis (15453 posts) - - Show Bio

No but DC wants your money.

#7 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Well as a Supes fan The Snyder/Lee combo is the thing that i look forward the most :-P

But they could put them in one of the main titles for example AC! And let Tony Daniel and Andy Diggle take over after them(Since Snyder will only write one story for the new ongoing :-P)

Look Swamp thing,Animal Man titles that sold out of nowhere because of a good creative team!

Superman and Batman are getting the best writers because they are the biggest names but still none of them needs a 3-5 solo ongoings

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he needs it, but I'm welcoming it because a) it's Superman, b) it's Scott Snyder and Jim Lee, and c) if Batman can do it, Superman should do it too.

#9 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I don't think he needs it, but I'm welcoming it because a) it's Superman, b) it's Scott Snyder and Jim Lee, and c) if Batman can do it, Superman should do it too.

None of them should do it actually :-P

But yes Snyder/Lee are the thing i am looking forward the most

#10 Posted by Lvenger (20690 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon: I have to disagree here. Superman is a character that has the capability to hold a third ongoing series. He's arguably a more compelling and realistic character personality wise than Batman and he has 5 ongoings at the moment. So I don't mind Superman having a third ongoing. In fact I think he deserves it. Besides before 2005, Superman was starring in 4 ongoing series. Action Comics, Superman, Superman: Man of Steel and The Adventures of Superman. Suffice to say he's shown he can hold down more than 3 ongoings. I do agree with you that characters like Batman and Superman shouldn't have more than 3 ongoings. If it were up to me, when Morrison has finished with Batman Inc, I'd get rid of The Dark Knight as well. Batman has 2 superior solo books already, he doesn't need a 3rd one. Batman and Robin offers something different to the mix so it can stay.

#11 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: We will have to agree to disagree because your main argument is if "batman can do it Superman should to"

I am not saying that Superman can't pull of a third ongoing,we are both sure that he can! But the creative teams needed for superman's third title will be taken from another hero/comic!

Also superman will need a constant amount of good teams if he wants to keep the third title in high sales!

#12 Posted by Lvenger (20690 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon: You fail to see that isn't my main point. It is an example of a notable comic book character owning more than one comic. My main argument is that Superman has the appeal for a third series and has held 4 in the past. So that's my main argument. And I know that the title would need a constant number of good teams to keep sales up but this is Superman we're talking about, DC's poster boy and the Godfather of superheroes. He deserves a lot of focus on him. But your second point rings true. Unfortunately this is a classic example of memes in action. For clarification, memes are cultural units of transmission like ideas, beliefs and symbols that can be transmitted via writing, pictures, gestures or other methods. Just as genes pass on genetic information to the next generation, memes are thought to be passed on through our culture in the knowledge we accumulate. I find that comic book characters are good examples of memes. And Superman is one of the best memes out there in comic book terms and given his popularity, it's more likely that DC focus another title and better creative teams on him and Batman whilst characters like Blue Devil and the Creeper fail in the meme race and are mostly overlooked.

#13 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Still a third title isn't needed!

Superman is complete with two titles.I don't believe he needs more. I don't say that he can't have or he can't support but that he doesn't need one more!

#14 Posted by impossibilly (887 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as my wallet is concerned, the Snyder/Lee Superman title will be the only Superman title on the stands.

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (58143 posts) - - Show Bio

He already has three titles...
BB

#16 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: which one is the third?

I meant only mainstream comics.Not kids series or digital.

#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@Gambit1024 said:

None of them should do it actually :-P

Agreed. But as long as one is doing it, the other should be right there with them.

#18 Posted by Billy Batson (58143 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

Oh never mind then. But no character really "needs" more than one series.
BB

#19 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Squalleon said:

Oh never mind then. But no character really "needs" more than one series.
BB

True!

#20 Edited by darkman61288 (769 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's solo title sells more than Superman's and he has a much larger fan base. So he can support 5 titles. What I would like to see another WW tilte

#21 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3561 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. But I'm still gonna read it.

#22 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288 said:

Batman's solo title sells more than Superman's and he has a much larger fan base. So he can support 5 titles. What I would like to see another WW tilte

Umm... whats your point? He's not saying Batman or Superman cant support more than 2 series, he's saying they shouldnt have more than two series

#23 Edited by darkman61288 (769 posts) - - Show Bio

@JLDoom: My point is that with Batman is just giving the people what they want. They want more Batman they get more batman. If superman had that much of a demand then Superman should have 5 titles it is good business.

#24 Posted by Lvenger (20690 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell I'm dropping Action Comics, which is bound to be good with Diggle taking over as writer when Snyder and Lee's title comes out. Hopefuly it lives up to the hype.

#25 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (531 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon said:

BUT IF THE UNDERWEAR COMES BACK IM OUT.

Why does he have to wear the same outfit every day? No one in the real world does. Jim Lee Helped to design to downright awful, atrocious, "crime against humanity on par with genocide and child molestation" New 52 armored look, so I think you're likely to find that gaudy costume in Man of Steel. But with three ongoings he could easily be drawn in the classic tights and underwear in Superman and the new jeans and tee-shirt appearance in Action Comics. That way fans of each are satisfied with at least that aspect for at least one of the titles.

Or perhaps it would be best to remove editorial mandates altogether and let each artist bring their own interpretation to the costume as they see fit. Having seen some fairly cool variants on DeviantArt I'd love to see what professional artists could do with the same level of freedom.

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

YES HE DOES!

#27 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

YES HE DOES!

You. You make me happy.

#28 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone actually know when it's coming out? Will it be around June when the movie releases? The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure that's close to when Trinity War will be happening. Maybe it'll be disconnected from the continuity temporarily. Not a bad thing.

#29 Posted by briangsharon (147 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

I disagree with the idea of three ongoings for one superhero and even though Supes is my favorite superhero i don't think he needs a third ongoing!

DC should focus on improving Action Comics and Superman rather than planing another title.The Snyder/Lee project (which i will definetely buy :-P) it would be better as a mini-series or something.

What do you think does Supes need another title or DC should improve the current ones?

I agree..

In a way

Cancel Action & Superman... because I am going to read the Snyder/Lee title pretending the current runs had never come out.

#30 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi: Me too :-P

@darkman61288: Actually people ask DC for a third supes title since the second year of the new 52 and even the hardcore batman fans don't have a problem with cancelling TDK :-P

Superman has demand too the main point is DC's priorities, since batman is the only one who got a movie he must be promoted the most!This is an unwritten rule of comics since the 70s!

The hero that currently needs a second ongoing the most is Wonder Woman since Azzarello doesn't care about the shared universe.

#31 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the problem:

PEOPLE BUY IT.

It would be damn idiotic of DC not to have more Batman/Superman/<Insert someone that has very strong sales here>. If people want less Batman ongoings, they'd buy less. They don't! Why is Wolverine in everything now? Because Wolverine sells comics. It's the sad nature of an industry that doesn't take its work seriously enough.

#32 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5530 posts) - - Show Bio
@RideASpaceCowboy

@WaveMotionCannon said:

Why does he have to wear the same outfit every day? No one in the real world does. Jim Lee Helped to design to downright awful, atrocious, "crime against humanity on par with genocide and child molestation" New 52 armored look, so I think you're likely to find that gaudy costume in Man of Steel. But with three ongoings he could easily be drawn in the classic tights and underwear in Superman and the new jeans and tee-shirt appearance in Action Comics. That way fans of each are satisfied with at least that aspect for at least one of the titles.

Or perhaps it would be best to remove editorial mandates altogether and let each artist bring their own interpretation to the costume as they see fit. Having seen some fairly cool variants on DeviantArt I'd love to see what professional artists could do with the same level of freedom.

To each his own, the cape and jeans is cool because he was just starting out. The armor is badass as well as the Earth 2 version but I refuse to take one of the strongest guys in the known universe seriously with his underwear on the outside. It's not 1938 anymore
#33 Posted by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Well as a Supes fan The Snyder/Lee combo is the thing that i look forward the most :-P

But they could put them in one of the main titles for example AC! And let Tony Daniel and Andy Diggle take over after them(Since Snyder will only write one story for the new ongoing :-P)

Look Swamp thing,Animal Man titles that sold out of nowhere because of a good creative team!

Superman and Batman are getting the best writers because they are the biggest names but still none of them needs a 3-5 solo ongoings

When was that announced?

@impossibilly said:

As far as my wallet is concerned, the Snyder/Lee Superman title will be the only Superman title on the stands.

This^

#34 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7: in every interview Snyder said:

"This is the one superman story i want to tell" Look it up you will definetely find it since Snyder always repeats himself in his interviews :-P but it will be a big story though as big as the Court of Owls it will last at least a year.

#35 Posted by JakeN7 (12738 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon: I'm pretty sure that in the context of the interviews he meant, if this one ongoing was his only chance to write Superman, then this would be the story he would tell. I see what you're saying though. I don't think that one quote is definitive enough to assume he's only writing one arc, but I guess it's open to interpretation.

#36 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

.... yeah it's pretty unfair, but hey

@entropy_aegis said:

No but DC wants your money.

and I'm going to give it to them happily

#37 Edited by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

I agree, to a point, if someone is selling well, DC will try to make money with additional comics. We are seeing other titles fail as there is no interest. In some cases, these characters were moved to other teams. If DC want to push more titles with popular characters, I like the Batman & Robin (and Batman Inc) type setting where you at least push another character. To me, DC lost on opportunity to push some of Superman's clones like Mr. Majestic, Billy Batson, and ICON via a cross over comic. It would be a great opportunity to differentiate these characters too. This way they can still capitalize on Superman's and get a great opportunity to push other characters. Pretty much, anything beyond 2 tittles should be a shared comic, IMO.

#38 Posted by GunGunW (997 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry, I'm lost... what's the third on going Superman title?

#39 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

Where did you read this?

@GunGunW said:

I'm sorry, I'm lost... what's the third on going Superman title?

That snyder/lee collaboration, dc has already confirmed its a new ongoing

#40 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

Action Comics doesn't need any improving its the best possible title out there. Sadly Morrison is leaving, but I trust Diggle to make it work.

Superman is already very much improved. The writing do need a little fine tuning, but the concepts are great and I wouldn't change it for the world.

So, yeah if Batman is having 5 titles, I don't see why Superman can't have 3.

I would rather prefer the book to be a Superman team up or a group of heroes working within Metropolis, like Birds of Prey or Batman Inc but Superman version.

But 3 ongoings is fine by me. Nothing to be ashamed of.

#41 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

@WaveMotionCannon said:

please don't use phrases like that. You're making genocide and child molestation sound less severe than it is.

hate the costume all you want but nobody died or got traumatised for life so please refrain from making such stupid comparisons.

#42 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

Question, does adding more ongoings dilute the quality? I mean each ongoing has its own writer(s) and artist(s) so does adding more ongoings really make their job difficult in any way? (well aside from having to make sure their stories don't contradict the other ongoings)

asking as someone relatively new to comics

#43 Posted by LeaderVladimir (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course Superman needs a third title! Batman has five ongoings, and with the new Superman movie coming out, the Superman family could use the publicity.

#44 Posted by Nightwing4 (368 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm ok with it, although I think it continues to unbalance the Trinity when Wonder Woman only has 1 solo. Bring back Sensation Comics then I'll be a happy camper.

#45 Edited by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

The only new ongoing for Batman or Superman that i'd be completely down with would be a new Superman/Batman title. But hey, at least this new title will have Snyder in it.

#46 Posted by Z3RO180 (6618 posts) - - Show Bio

he only has two

#47 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

he only has two

He's talking about the new title

#48 Posted by Z3RO180 (6618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stormbox: ok then. How long is snyder and lee going to stay on the title ?

#49 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (531 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

@WaveMotionCannon said:

Why does he have to wear the same outfit every day? No one in the real world does. Jim Lee helped to design to downright awful, atrocious, "crime against humanity on par with genocide and child molestation" New 52 armored look, so I think you're likely to find that gaudy costume in Man of Steel. But with three ongoings he could easily be drawn in the classic tights and underwear in Superman and the new jeans and tee-shirt appearance in Action Comics. That way fans of each are satisfied with at least that aspect for at least one of the titles.

please don't use phrases like that. You're making genocide and child molestation sound less severe than it is.

hate the costume all you want but nobody died or got traumatized for life so please refrain from making such stupid comparisons.

After alliteration, hyperbole is my favorite literary device and I employ it with great frequency. I make it quite clear that I'm exaggerating and do not genuinely hold this opinion. All the while, there are some opinions reflecting the zeitgeist of our age being expressed on these very forums which I deeply ignorant and yet do not express offence at. After all, offence is so subjective that anyone could take offence at absolutely anything, so that trying to avoid offending others is an exercise in futility and frustration

#50 Posted by Mangakid1995 (233 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon: but batman doesn't have 5 SOLO on goings he has 3, one of those books stars Batman and Robin and the other features Batman Incorperated wich after Morrisons run finishes may shift focus back to the individual members like it had been before.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.