Superman Copy-cats

#1 Edited by 2cool4fun (1467 posts) - - Show Bio

Name as many different superman copy-cats as possible. It can be from Marvel, DC, or any other comic book or just any company or media at all.

I'll begin:

Sentry
Majestic

#2 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12988 posts) - - Show Bio

We have literally 1,000 threads about this.

#3 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by 2cool4fun (1467 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee said:

This.

Really cause I didn't find a single one like this one. There are some that talk about his copy cats, but what I want and what those threads wanted are different things. I just want to count them all. And so far I found 0 threads that did this. I even google'd it.

#5 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (12988 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

This.

Really cause I didn't find a single one like this one. There are some that talk about his copy cats, but what I want and what those threads wanted are different things. I just want to count them all. And so far I found 0 threads that did this. I even google'd it.

Whether you make a list of all the Superman "copycats" in one thread or just discuss in another, it's all the same.

#6 Posted by 2cool4fun (1467 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (12988 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee: Sure dude, just like china & japan are the same thing...

They are. They're both geological landmasses formed by the earth.

#8 Posted by AllStarSuperman (23207 posts) - - Show Bio

Every Superhero on the face of the earth

/thread

#9 Posted by 2cool4fun (1467 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by SanoHibiki (1854 posts) - - Show Bio

If use both origin and power-set, then I would say Majestros and Hyperion. Cap Marvel was intended to be a magical based Supes’ rip-off, but fortunately, with years he developed into his own person.

If we searching for Super’s doubles, basing it only on power’s similarity, boy, that going to be a long list. Actually, I don’t even consider most of them as rip-offs. Clark have the classic superhero power-set, no wonder that several others characters got something similar.

P.S. Sentry always reminded to me more of Nuclear man from Supes’ forth movie than Superman.

P.P.S.@2cool4fun, Hichigo’s avatar… Nice.

#11 Posted by 2cool4fun (1467 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by SC (13687 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator, Hyperion, Meridian, Superduperman, Captain Marvel, Marvelman, Sentry, Homelander, Virtue, Astonishman, Supreme, Alpha One, Majestic, Superior, Icon, Plutonian, Apollo, Samaritan, Captain Sunshine, Omni Man, Metro Man, Powdered Toast Man, Thor.

#13 Edited by Squalleon (5201 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Gladiator, Hyperion, Meridian, Superduperman, Captain Marvel, Marvelman, Sentry, Homelander, Virtue, Astonishman, Supreme, Alpha One, Majestic, Superior, Icon, Plutonian, Apollo, Samaritan, Captain Sunshine, Omni Man, Metro Man, Powdered Toast Man, Thor.

....and Super-goofy.

#14 Posted by kilowog52 (637 posts) - - Show Bio

Though many characters have similar power sets to Superman, they all have their own schtick. Fawcett went bankrupt because they lost a lawsuit to DC claiming that Captain Marvel was a copy of Superman. If that hearing went down today, the results would have been the complete opposite. I've always considered Sentry more powerful than Superman. Apollo's main similarity is that he's powered by the sun, but he can fire energy, which Superman cannot do, aside from his heat vision. Icon and the Martian Manhunter do have many of Superman's powers, but most of their main powers are additional powers. As for some of the others already mentioned here, I'm not too familiar with Majestic, I could swear Gladiator from the Shi'ar Imperial Guard also had a wide range of powers, many of which were not like Superman. I'm not familiar at all with most of the other ones mentioned, but out of the ones I do know of, the only real answer is Hyperion because he and the entire Squadron Supreme are all pastiches of Superman and the reset of the Justice League. Similarly DC's Champions of Angor are pastiches of Marvel's Avengers.

#15 Posted by Extremis (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

Got my popcorn handy ^.^

#16 Posted by ThorLeedyson (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's powers aren't extremely unique when you think about it, or some of them anyways. Super strength, flight, super, speed, and even the idea of shooting beams from his eyes aren't all that original. I don't think its fair to say that anyone with these powers and a cape is a superman copy just because superman was the first comic book character to incorporate all these powers. The ones you could say are copies imo are Hyperion, Sentry, Gladiator and I'm sure there are many others. I'm unfamiliar with some of the heroes others have named so i won't comment on those.

#17 Posted by ThorLeedyson (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: Thor? Really? I don't think you can take a figure from Norse mythology that was changed slightly and adapted for comics, a copy of Superman. Even if he wasn't from Norse mythology, what makes him a superman copy?

#18 Posted by SC (13687 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorleedyson: Oh hello there, I like your username.

I am guessing that we are talking about different Thor characters. The Thor character I am referencing is a minor and relatively obscure character that was an intended copy/parallel of Apollo from Stormwatch who in turn is intended analogue/parallel of Superman thus making both loose copies of Superman.

#19 Edited by dum529001 (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's powers aren't extremely unique when you think about it, or some of them anyways. Super strength, flight, super, speed, and even the idea of shooting beams from his eyes aren't all that original. I don't think its fair to say that anyone with these powers and a cape is a superman copy just because superman was the first comic book character to incorporate all these powers. The ones you could say are copies imo are Hyperion, Sentry, Gladiator and I'm sure there are many others. I'm unfamiliar with some of the heroes others have named so i won't comment on those.

Hyperion and Gladiator are obvious copy-cats. The writers want you to realize it, too.

And Superman is just a modern Hercules. On some level, nothing is original.

#20 Posted by ThorLeedyson (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: thanks and yes i was mistaken i just assumed when you said thor you meant the son of odin, member of the avengers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.