Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman comics discussion thread

• 143 results
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter
    Action Comics #870
    Action Comics #870

Written by Geoff Johns; Art by Gary Frank and Jon Sibal; Cover by Gary Frank; Variant cover by Andy Kubert

The "Brainiac" finale! It's Superman versus Brainiac with everything at stake! No longer content to simply eradicate Superman, Brainiac is now determined to destroy Earth like so many other planets he's left in his wake. But Brainiac's ship is full of many bottles, inside of which some surprise guest-stars lurk! And while hope may blossom on Brainiac's ship, there's one life even the Man of Steel can't save.

Superman: New Krypton Special
    Superman: New Krypton Special

Written by Geoff Johns, James Robinson and Sterling Gates; Art by Gary Frank and Jon Sibal, Renato Guedes and Wilson Magalháes, and Pete Woods ; Cover by Gary Frank; Variant cover by Renato Guedes and Wilson Magalháes

A "Sightings" issue! "New Krypton" Part 1 of 9! The entire Superman franchise writing team joins forces, with art by Pete Woods and others, to formally launch the Superman event years in the making! While the current threat of Brainiac may have been forestalled in ACTION COMICS #870, the repercussions will be felt for a long, long time. Superman's greatest victory has lead to his happiest day – and his saddest. Gains are balanced by losses while Superman has to figure out what to do with 100,000 Kryptonians! Hold on to your capes as this story leads directly into SUPERMAN #681.

Superman #681
    Superman #681

Written by James Robinson; Art by Renato Guedes and Jose Magalháes; Cover by Alex Ross; Variant cover by Bernard Chang

"New Krypton" Part 2! Picking up directly from SUPERMAN: NEW KRYPTON SPECIAL #1, 100,000 Kryptonians have descended on Earth. But their introduction to the world follows a bumpy road, and humans and Kryptonians alike are wary of one another. Meanwhile, Clark must say goodbye to a long-standing member of his supporting cast while the threat behind Atlas makes his next move against the Man of Steel!

Featuring the first third of a cover triptych by Alex Ross that will continue next month in SUPERGIRL and ACTION COMICS!

Supergirl #34
    Supergirl #34

Written by Sterling Gates; Art by Jamal Igle and Keith Champagne; Cover by Josh Middleton; Variant cover by Fernando Pasarin

Beginning the new direction for SUPERGIRL, which will tie the book and character firmly into the Superman franchise!

SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN SPECIAL
      SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN SPECIAL

Written by James Robinson; Art by Jesus Merino; Cover by Ryan Sook; Variant cover by Kevin Nowlan

Straight from the pages of SUPERMAN, Jimmy Olsen, would-be star reporter, doggedly investigates the mystery surrounding Superman's newest foe, Atlas! But the secrets behind the titan of yore lead Olsen across the country and into great danger as he must survive attacks by none other than Codename: Assassin! And just as Jimmy is getting to the truth, he finds himself in the Midwest and seeking the aide of a hero long thought dead. This story leads directly into SUPERMAN: NEW KRYPTON SPECIAL #1!
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nighthunter

Oh come on....

Did I have to put my name in this thread to grab attention? :P

T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By T.J. Magnum
    Nighthunter said:
    "Oh come on....

Did I have to put my name in this thread to grab attention? :P"

i guess lol
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nighthunter

Superman is generally considered the first superhero, so it makes some sense that DC Comics started their programming schedule at Comic-Con International in San Diego early Thursday afternoon with their “DC: Superman: Man of Tomorrow” panel.

In recent years, heavily comic book centric panels like this at Comic-Con - especially early on Thursday - haven’t attracted massive crowds like the celebrity-filled TV and movie panels. But Superman, evidently still a draw after all these years, attracted a line that stretched outside, with the panel itself filling the convention center’s large 6B conference room. Given that the convention sold out all four days last week, such lines will likely be the status quo for the rest of the weekend.

Panel moderator Matt Idelson, editor of the Superman books, was joined by new Supergirl creative team Sterling Gates (writer) and Jamal Igle (artist), Action Comics writer Geoff Johns, Superman writer James Robinson and artist Renato Guedes. Action Comics artist Gary Frank was in absentia.

The writers started the panel by giving some quick hints about upcoming storylines. Johns discussed the nine-part “New Krypton” crossover, starting in October (running through Action Comics, Superman and Supergirl, with Kryptonians declaring Earth to be “New Krypton).

For more on New Kyyton, check out our recent conversation with editor Matt Idelson in a video interview.

Robinson said his current Atlas storyline was “a little on its own, but with seeds of things to come” pointing towards a “cohesive universe” between the Superman books; and Gates said he wants to counter Supergirl’s reputation as a “b” title, and make “the best book we possibly can.”

“I’m a huge Superman fan,” said Igle. “Getting the opportunity to draw Supergirl has just been amazing. When I got the first script, I was surprised how good it was.” This comment might sound somewhat back-handed (the audience, playfully, thought so too), but Igle quickly clarified that he knew it was going to be good, but was blown away by the quality.

Johns then discussed the character Cat Grant and her recent and upcoming use (she’ll be publishing an article on why the world doesn’t need a Supergirl). After that, the panel was opened up to questions from the audience.

First question - “Ideas beyond ‘New Krypton’?” Johns answered that they recently had a creative summit and mapped out ideas until December 2010. He gave another hint - “Superwoman. Very interesting character. We’ve got a lot of twists and turns coming up in the books.”

A fan then asked if Robinson would mostly be handling new villains and Johns classic ones. Robinson corrected the fan, saying “Atlas isn’t a new character, you know that. He actually appeared in the first issue special. He’s actually a Kirby character.” Johns then said it’ll continue to be a mix of old and new, and that, “We’ll come up with something for Captain Atom, as well”

Johns said that the triangle numbers - prevalent in the 1990s with all four mainstream continuity Superman comics crossed over on regular basis - would return soon, likely with “New Krypton.” “They won’t be on every single issue, but when we do crossovers, there will be there.”

A fan curious about the delays on Richard Donner’s co-writing run with Geoff Johns asked about any possibility of anything similar happening in the future. Johns credited the work of Idelson and made the rather bold assertion, “I don’t think you’re going to see delays ever again.”

Any chance of Jack Knight (who James Robinson created and wrote in his much-lauded Starman run) in Superman? Robinson said, “When you retire a character, you open him up to the potential that he might appear in books that you don’t want him to appear in, or be handled by other writers. Long answer short, no. But I have brought back Krypto.”

“Is there anything in particular in store for Lois Lane?” Johns answered, “Yes. Lois Lane is the second most important character in our books. She’s got to be cool - if Superman’s gonna marry her, she’s gotta be the coolest girl in the world.”

Another famous Superman supporting character, Jimmy Olsen, was brought up next. Robinson said he’s working on a Jimmy Olsen special, and that, “One day he is destined to be the greatest reporter Metropolis has ever seen, but he’s just not there yet.”

A fan made the connection that both Johns and Robinson have screenwriting experience, and asked if there was a chance they’ll work on a Superman movie. “It’s not up to us,” said Johns. “We’d love to do it. It’d be fun to see Brainiac on the big screen.”

When asked about what kind of changes the writers were looking to bring to the characters and mythos, Johns said he wasn’t interested in “facade changes” that will be undone in two years, but ones with more meaning.

Channeling Stephen Colbert, an audience member asked if Krypto was a great Superman character or the greatest Superman character?” Robinson responded, “I love dogs, and he’s going to be an important part of the DC Universe.” The same fan asked if there was any chance of seeing Streaky the Supercat or Comet the Super-Horse - “Now you’re pushing it,” said Robinson. Johns added that both he and Gates love Streaky, so there might be an appearance in the works after all.

“I’ve noticed the Superboy name pop up in solicits. Has that been cleared up?” Johns said, “Superboy Prime is a different character, so we can use him. But we can’t really talk about it.”

A fan acknowledged that he bought more Marvel books than DC, and echoed the common complaint that DC Comics are less accessible and more reliant on knowledge of prior character histories and storylines than Marvel. “Our goal is to make these books extremely accessible,” said Johns.

Other topic covered during the hour-long panel included and if we’ll see Doomsday, Zod John Henry Irons anytime soon (yes to all three), if Jimmy Olsen knowing Superman’s identity in Countdown will be dealt with (it won’t, with both Robinson and Johns expressing distaste for the idea), possible crossovers with Superman/Batman (“That book’s kind of on its own,” said Johns), the differences between Action Comics and Superman (Robinson noted the art styles and the fact that Johns doesn’t use thought captions and he does), and what Superman comics would be good for someone new to comics (Johns pointed to the first issue of “New Krypton” and the first Gates and Igle issue of Supergirl in October).

zee crusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zee crusher

Superman isn't the considered the first super hero. He was considered the first super hero with powers. Pop eye the salor man was first in news paper columns. As for superman. I use to watch him as a kid. read his stuff as a kid.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nighthunter
    zee crusher said:
    "Superman isn't the considered the first super hero. He was considered the first super hero with powers. Pop eye the salor man was first in news paper columns. As for superman. I use to watch him as a kid. read his stuff as a kid."

It's debatable, Superman wasn't the first guy to have powers, a super identity or something like that, but he was the first one to have this four things:

• Secret Identity

• Costume

• Fights crime

Super Powers

• Avatar image for the_human_juggernaut
    the human Juggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nighthunter said:
    "zee crusher said:
    "Superman isn't the considered the first super hero. He was considered the first super hero with powers. Pop eye the salor man was first in news paper columns. As for superman. I use to watch him as a kid. read his stuff as a kid."

It's debatable, Superman wasn't the first guy to have powers, a super identity or something like that, but he was the first one to have this four things:

• Secret Identity

• Costume

• Fights crime

Super Powers

• "
    he wasn't the first one in DC to have the first 3 things there.  The Crimson avenger was around before superman.  He might have been the first with superpowers though.
    T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By T.J. Magnum

superman being the first It's debatable

but i think he started the superhero type comics

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nighthunter

As they left the Superman panel on Thursday at San Diego Comic-Con, we nabbed

Supergirl writer Sterling Gates , Action Comics writer Geoff Johns, Superman scribe James Robinson and DC's "Superbooks" editor Matt Idelson to talk about their upcoming storyline, “New Krypton.”

Beginning in October with the one-shot Superman: New Krypton Special and then spilling into all three comics, the nine-part story promises to change everything about Superman and Supergirl's world.

"Change is what New Krypton is all about. One-hundred-thousand more Kryptonians. He's no longer the last son of Krypton," Johns said. "Obviously it's going to affect his life, especially when they all say, 'Hey! We're on New Krypton! Earth is New Krypton!' That's going to cause some problems."

For Superman and Supergirl, the prospect of having so many people like them on Earth may seem like a good thing, but the team said it's not going to be that easy.

"You've got 100,000 people with the powers of Superman," Idelson said, "but they weren't raised the way he was. They don't have human values. They don't know what's important to us. And it's going to get messy."

"And there's hundreds of Zod's soldiers in there from when Brainiac attacked Kandor. It's not like, 'Hey! Cool! We're back! Alright!,'" Johns said.

The writers said the New Krypton storyline grows out of events in the current Brainiac storyline in Action Comics by Johns and artist Gary Frank, as well as the Atlas story that Robinson is telling in Superman with artist Renato Guedes. Gates, the new player on the Superbooks, will start on the Supergirl series with issue #34 in October with artist Jamal Igle.

"For Supergirl, who remembers life on Krypton, having 100,000 Kryptonians creates some unique conflicts," Gates said. "From that, Supergirl's relationships change as we get going. Her relationship with Superman is such right now that he's like a big brother to her, because he is her family. And through New Krypton, you're going to see that dynamic get turned on its ear and go through changes."

Johns said that Superman, Supergirl, 100,000 Kryptonians and Zod's soldiers are just the start -- the entire Superman universe will be involved in the story.

"It's going to involve the entire cast and a lot of the villains. It's going to redefine a lot of villains, like Reactron and Metallo," Johns said.

"There's so much that will be important to the DC Universe that we can't really tell you much more," Robinson added.

The storyline will also feature the return of the triangle numbers that used to grace the covers of Superman-related comic, as the books attempt to tie closer into each other. And as for concerns about a crossover "forcing" readers to buy multiple titles, Johns countered, "They'll want to read it!"

"The plan is to make all three Superman books so interesting and so good that you want to pick them up," Robinson said.

"The unfortunate thing is that 'crossover' has become a dirty word," Johns said. "We want to make it so that, why wouldn't they want to buy these books? They're all good books! There's no reason not to make it a big story."

"If the story wasn't big enough it, we wouldn't do it. There's just so much story to tell," Idelson said.

The three writers frequently laughed and cracked jokes during the interview, obviously enjoying working together. With the three of them all based out of Los Angeles, it was evident that they work together closely, as they often finished each other's sentences and shared an excitement about the Super-comics that came through loud and clear.

"I've known Geoff for years," Robinson said. "I finally get to work with him. It's a real treat. And then when Geoff recommended Sterling ask me to read his Supergirl script, I thought, well, he's his assistant, so I was expecting the worst. But I was delighted to find that he's actually a fantastic writer. And Matt Idelson is a great editor."

"I can't say enough about how exciting it is to work with these guys," Johns said, turning the discussion into a a bit of a mutual admiration society.

"James and Geoff are two of my favorite writers, and it's always a lot of fun to get together and talk with them about Supergirl," Gates added.

In fact, the first "get-together" between the new group of writers to talk about the Super-books took place last spring as the team began planning the stories that would tie the Superman universe more tightly together.

"Matt and Ian Sattler flew out of L.A. in the spring, and we had a huge Superman summit and had a lot of fun," Johns said. "And we set everything up. We're working on a huge document -- a 30-page document that goes through it all. We have our over-arcing Superman story plotted out to the end of 2010. Everything we're doing now plays into that. It all plays into the story."

"And things that you think now are just stories," Robinson said, "they're little pieces of a much bigger saga."

"We just want to make it unified," Johns said. "The books are unified. Superman, Action Comics and Supergirl. The Superman sub-universe in the DC Universe. And we want to make the stories unified. And the good thing about Matt is that he's so organized that we can keep it all together. I mean, we get these great update emails, and he keeps everything on track so well."

"We just want to bring the quality up," Idelson said. "We've been getting the books out, and sometimes they've been great, but sometimes they've been a little soft. Now, these guys set the bar so high for themselves. You want Superman and Supergirl to be taken seriously and not be seen as a 'Boy Scout' or boring or nothing changes. We just want to put out work we're proud of, 'cause that's what it's all about."

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nighthunter
    Last son of Krypton? pff, yeah right
    Avatar image for platinumwarrior
    Platinumwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Platinumwarrior
    Nighthunter said:
    "
    "
    Thats a great pic
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nighthunter
    Platinumwarrior said:
    "Nighthunter said:
    "
    "
    Thats a great pic"
    yeah, one of the covers of the upcoming "New Krypton" event which was promised as both "The sinestro corps war for Superman" and "The biggest event of Superman in the last 10 years"
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nighthunter

I don't know if anyone is reading Superman comics here

but if so I wanted to discuss these week comics

Superman steals the show of the week without any real competition with both Action Comics# 869 and All Stars Superman #12

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AtPhantom

how good is Braiiniac storyline?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nighthunter

The best story of Johns in Superman so far

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AtPhantom

Cool, i'm reading it tomorrow.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nighthunter

nice, really recommend it

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nighthunter

The Superman panel Saturday at the Baltimore Comic Con took place in a very hot room before a crowd of fans who were fanning themselves, but putting up with the heat so they could hear:

Matt Idelson, Superman books editor
    Sterling Gates, Supergirl writer
    James Robinson, Superman writer
    Geoff Johns, Action Comics writer
    Jamal Igle, artist on Supergirl

Idelson said that October is going to be a huge month for the Superman books. "Probably our biggest month in a long time," he said.

The first issue of Supergirl by the new creative team of Gates and Igle comes out Wednesday and features a media blitz by Cat Grant in a story called, "Why the World Doesn't Need Supergirl."

Robinson said Gates is doing a lot for the Supergirl series, including giving Supergirl a rogues gallery. He said Gates' writing is fantastic and Igle's artwork is fantastic. "I think they're going to be one of the greatest combinations that DC has seen for a long time."

There will be a Jimmy Olsen special by James Robinson coming up, Idelson said. "This is our attempt to turn Jimmy into a vibrant young man of 22," Robinson said. "This is going to be the beginning of him as an investigative reporter. He'll go out in search of answers in different places in a story including the Guardian.

Johns will finish up the Brainiac story in Action Comics and it will continue into the New Krypton Special. All the Superman-related books will have the triangles on the front. "Each one of our books will deal with the bigger story but also threads that our characters deal with," Johns said.

Igle said in Action Comics #869, Supergirl's parents are alive, and Igle will flesh out the story. Gates said Supergirl #35 will explain everything that's happened up to this point with Supergirl and how that fits with the discovery of her parents.

The Guardian will be in a special, and Robinson explained that Jimmy Olsen will find out all kinds of horrible secrets about his past as he's refolded back into the Superman Universe. Idelson added that it will fit into the New Krypton story.

The crossover will spiral the books into different directions, Idelson said. And Action Comics is going to take a really different direction, although Johns said he couldn't talk about it now.

The panel was then opened up to questions:

- Will this be related to the Guardian in Seven Soldiers? Robinson: Not at first. It won't be dealt with for awhile. The Guardian has a daughter now, and when you see what we have planned for him it makes perfect sense.

- Will he have a relationship with Red Arrow, his nephew? Robinson: Probably not for now.

- Conduit coming back? Johns: He's dead. I've never really understood that character much, so I haven't thought about it.

- Retelling of Superman's origin? Idelson: We've resisted doing that, but we're starting to wilt to that. Johns: There's a reason we haven't yet. Keep reading.

- Why is Supergirl the way she is? Gates: Supergirl #35.

- Linda Danvers? Gates: She's in Reign in Hell right now.

- Did you plan New Krypton together? Johns: It came out of the Brainiac story, but then we expanded into more. Robinson made it more Kryptonians than Johns originally intended. The idea is to show just how special Superman is.

- What happens in Action Comics #870? Johns: It's a very difficult issue for Superman.

- Will Gary Frank be on the series for awhile? Johns: Gary and I have plans for awhile.

- What was it that drew Robinson to Superman? Robinson: The chance to work with Geoff. It seems very daunting at first to write Superman, but Johns painted "such a rosy picture of us frolicking through the tulips with all these ideas.... and we've come up with this fun adventure."

- Are there any villains Johns wants to work with? Parasite and Metallo, who I'll be delving into next year.

- Is there a good reason the Kryptonians settle on earth? Johns: Yes.

- Is Chris Kent going to return? Johns: We've got plans for him down the line.

- What happened to Steel? Any plans for him in the Superman books? Robinson: There are plans to use him. We're waiting for the right time to introduce him. We're trying to give Metropolis a real identity and history. John Henry Irons will be a part of that, and how he's the antithesis of the science of Luthor.

- Is the Eradicator coming back? Johns: Nothing yet.

- Are there plans to follow up on what Kurt Busiek did? Robinson: I think Busiek has plans for a lot of that stuff. Idelson: He's writing Superman in Trinity.

- What would a person do if they went to Metropolis? Johns: I'd go look at the Superboy statue and get all teary eyed. Then I'd go to the Daily Planet and try to expose Clark Kent's identity. I'd go to the Lexcorp building and take Jimmy Olsen along so I can get pictures of it all. And call all my friends and say, "I'm in Metropolis!" Gates: "I'd go to the Ace of Clubs and just get wasted."

- Explanation of Power Girl's powers? Johns: It's in JSA.

- Lana Lang? Johns: She'll play a big role in Superman's world.

- Superhorse comic? Idelson said to check out the Cosmic Adventures of Supergirl in Eighth Grade.

- Any plans for Conner to come back at all? Johns: He's one of my favorite characters. "But .... Black Lanterns," he said with a smile.

- Any reappearance of old Superman villains? Johns: A lot of Superman villains will be showing up in New Krypton.

- How will you address all the bottles on Brainiac's ship? Johns: That's party of the story.

- Any plans to tie Green Lantern and Superman stories together? Johns: There will be a little bit of a tie in.

- Why no big deal about the 75th anniversary of Superman? Idelson: Why date the character? We have a good reason to do a double-size issue because of the story, not just because it's an anniversary.

- What is Lana Lang doing? And are there any plans for Supergirl to have a boyfriend?

Gates: Lana will be in Supergirl, and she'll take a mentor role. She's going to play a huge part in Supergirl.

Johns: Lana will be a main character in the Superman universe. Gates: As for relationships, keep reading.

- What's up with Lexcorp now that Lana's gone? Johns: Keep reading.

- How do you keep Superman fresh? Johns: I think he's one of the most relatable characters in comics. He was embraced by this planet and grew up to love it and now he's just trying to return the favor.

Robinson: I see Superman as the epitome of the American dream because he came to America and was able to make it here even as a foreigner.

Igle: To me, he's the representation of the idea that if you're good, you can be Superman too. He was raised to be taught that the best thing you can do is help out the least of us, but not look down on them.

Johns said this is one of the reasons they're telling the story of New Krypton. One of the scenes in New Krypton is there are two Kryptonians walking down the street and they hear a screech because there's a car wreck, and people are running up to them and saying, "Can you help?" And they just fly away because they don't understand why those people would need help. It's up to Superman to show them why you help people.

- Who's showing up in New Krypton? Johns: Creature Commandos, the Titans, Agent Liberty, the JSA, Wonder Woman -- a lot of people are curious what's going on and talk to Superman about it.

- What's it like to deal with a character who is such an icon? Johns: You know what he's always going to try to do. He'll make a mistake, but Superman is always Superman.

Robinson: Geoff showed me how easy it is to write the character and how fun it can be.

- With the New Krypton storyline is he particularly faster or stronger than other Kryptonians? Johns: He's more experienced with his powers. There were 600 soldiers who worked under General Zod in Kandor at the time it was taken, so that plays a part in the story.

- Is Clark the secret identity or is Superman? Robinson: That's the difference between Batman and Superman. Bruce Wayne is the secret identity. With Superman, he's a Kansas City farmboy in his head first.

- Is Lex Luthor sad that Kon-El is dead? Johns: He has some sorrow about Kon-El, but he was more like someone he could manipulate.

- Can you explain who are the various Supergirls?

Robinson: There's no point in dealing with the past.

Gates: In Supergirl #35, we're telling a Supergirl Secret Origin.

Johns: Anyone who wants to know who Supergirl is can look at that issue. We're not going to reference the other Supergirls. We won't talk about Linda Danvers because she's not important to THIS Supergirl.

- Will Supergirl have a secret identity? Gates [smiling]: Hmmm... That's a good idea.

- How do you interact with the storyline when you draw Supergirl? Igle [joking]: There's a lot of cursing involved.

Gates: The first thing he said to me after reading a script was he called me and said, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Igle: I'm a big believer in letting people do their jobs. But Gates is making Supergirl not only a likable character but a sympathetic character. I feel like I need to step up my game because of the writing Sterling's doing.

Gates: And Jamal really has stepped up his game. He's doing the work of his career.

"You're going to pick up Supergirl #34, and it's not going to look like any Supergirl issue you've ever seen," Igle said.

- Is Lex Luthor going to be okay with all these Kryptonians? Johns: He's in jail right now. But he wants to get out and deal with the Kryptonians. He's a main character in this story and in Superman books period.

- If you haven't read earlier issues of Supergirl, will you understand issue #34? Gates: Yes. Johns: All you need to know is she's Superman's cousin.

- Will Mon-El be part of the storyline? Johns: We have plans for Mon-El.

- Will Superboy Prime have anything to do with the Superman New Krypton story? Johns: If you read Legion of 3 Worlds, you should see what happens to him there. "I actually think Superboy Prime will be looked upon as one of the greatest villains of the 21st Century."

- So.... Superboy Prime won't be redeemed? John: "Until he's redeemed.... wink!"

At this point, Johns called out to his Uncle Roger in the back of the audience. He explained that he's into comics because of his uncle having comics in the attic. The audience applauded loudly for the uncle.

- Is there a Superman webcomic? Idelson: That's a different department.

Johns: But you can buy our comics on the stands!

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    Nighthunter said:
    "The best story of Johns in Superman so far"
    For me it was Last Son. Not the Brainiac one. Am readin' all Superman and Action Comics. at the moment.

I think the best Superman is the new Atlas one. Busiek was okay, but I like Robinson take on it. :D
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Supreme Marvel

But the Brainiac one is very good.

1. Last Son
    2. Superman & The Legion of Super Heroes
    3. Brainiac
    4. Escape from Bizzaro World
    5. One Year Later
    Superman
    1. The coming of Atlas
    2. The Third Kryptonian
    3. One Year Later
    4. Shadows Linger
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nighthunter

yeah, it's a good time to be a Superman fan

was going to pick this issue of Supergirl to check the new creative team, both Robinson and Johns have said that Gates is a great writer so I wanted to give him the benefit of doubt, however the issue was sold out here

how was it?

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    Nighthunter said:
    "yeah, it's a good time to be a Superman fan

was going to pick this issue of Supergirl to check the new creative team, both Robinson and Johns have said that Gates is a great writer so I wanted to give him the benefit of doubt, however the issue was sold out here

how was it?"
    I have it but haven't read it yet.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I can't wait for the next Brainiac issue.
    I've heard that Brainiac will be involved some how in New Krypton saga.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nighthunter

Maybe he'll be the one that gets rid of all of the kryptonians

how was Supergirl?

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Damn! Forgot to read them, red Nightwing and Batman instead.

I'll put it on my must read list for today.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Oh my god.
    Anyone read Action?
    could bring a tear to your eye.
    and a black ring.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nighthunter

Spoilers alert

For crying out loud, the story is great but why is that DC keeps killing Jonathan time and time again? He is one of the best supporting characters ever and in my opinion the best father figure in comics.

DC should have left Clark have a last beer with his old man
    DC should have left Clark have a last beer with his old man
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By warlock360

Kudos for DC, Superman Looks like Christopher Reeves now

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By speedlgt

I liked las son and in general love superman stories.....I really take issue with "comic fans" who hate superman. show some respect and if not get hell out the comic store and off this site.

I read only the 1st issue on branic I know its gonna be trade so I am gonnna wait for it and pick it UP

Unbelonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By Unbelonger
    Nighthunter said:
    "zee crusher said:

• Secret Identity

• Costume

• Fights crime

Super Powers

• "

The Shadow is older and had all those, I believe.

zzzzz
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    speedlgt said:
    "I liked las son and in general love superman stories.....I really take issue with "comic fans" who hate superman. show some respect and if not get hell out the comic store and off this site.

I read only the 1st issue on branic I know its gonna be trade so I am gonnna wait for it and pick it UP"

Glad you feel that way.

I don't go around saying crap about all the characters that I don't like much.
    Like I wouldn't say crap about

Cyclops
    Spiderman
    Hulk

for instance.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    Nighthunter said:
    "

Spoilers alert

For crying out loud, the story is great but why is that DC keeps killing Jonathan time and time again? He is one of the best supporting characters ever and in my opinion the best father figure in comics.

No Caption Provided
    "

Can you name a better father figure?
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By speedlgt

I mean I really in general like all heros and villians And rarley go out the way to slam em. Granted I do not like  few but I think that has more to do with thier fans than the heros themselves. 

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    speedlgt said:
    "I mean I really in general like all heros and villians And rarley go out the way to slam em. Granted I do not like  few but I think that has more to do with thier fans than the heros themselves. "
      exactly, I can't stand most Spiderman, Hulk, Cyclops, Thor (and am a Thor reader). There overate their favourite characters. My favourites are Superman and Captain Marvel, but I know when there beaten. But some fans won't give in because it's their favourite character. And to them, there god.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nighthunter
    Supreme Marvel said:
    "Nighthunter said:
    "

Spoilers alert

No Caption Provided
    "

Can you name a better father figure?"
    Nope lol
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nighthunter
    Action Comics #873
    Action Comics #873

Written by Geoff Johns; Art by Pete Woods; Cover by Ladrönn

The "New Krypton"finale and a "Faces of Evil"issue! The rapidly rising tensions between the people of Kandor and Earth can only lead to expulsion or war! But even as the governments of Earth begin passing anti-Kryptonian laws, Superman's people have plans of their own – beyond anything you can imagine! Writer Geoff Johns and artist Pete Woods (SUPERMAN: NEW KRYPTON SPECIAL #1) wrap up this cosmically important chapter in Superman's life by introducing a major change to The Man of Steel's status quo!

Superman | 32pg. | Color | $2.99 US

On Sale January 14, 2009

Supergirl #37
      Supergirl #37

Written by Geoff Johns; Art by Pete Woods; Cover by Ladrönn

The "New Krypton"finale and a "Faces of Evil"issue! The rapidly rising tensions between the people of Kandor and Earth can only lead to expulsion or war! But even as the governments of Earth begin passing anti-Kryptonian laws, Superman's people have plans of their own – beyond anything you can imagine! Writer Geoff Johns and artist Pete Woods (SUPERMAN: NEW KRYPTON SPECIAL #1) wrap up this cosmically important chapter in Superman's life by introducing a major change to The Man of Steel's status quo!

On Sale January 14, 2009

Superman #684
      Superman #684

Written by James Robinson; Art by Jesus Merino; Cover by Alex Ross

In this "New Krypton"epilogue and "Faces of Evil"issue, the crisis on Earth between Kryptonians and humans has been averted for now, but the threat of the Parasite remains very, very real!

On Sale January 28, 2009

Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom #5 (of 5)
      Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom #5 (of 5)

Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray; Art and cover by Phil Noto

This explosive conclusion pits Superman and Supergirl against the combined might of Maelstrom and the Female Furies in the heart of Metropolis. Has Supergirl learned anything from her time on the alien world, or will she repeat her rookie mistakes? And what will be the fate of Maelstrom?

On Sale January 7, 2009

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By Calvin

WOw.... It is a good time to read Superman!

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Lets see my list of his comics. Some still not red yet :D

• Superman/Batman 1-52, red from 1-19
          • Action Comics 811-870, red 811-813, 826 & 837-870
          • Superman 624-680, red 624, 639 & 650-680
          • Superman Volume 2 200-226, red 201 & 216.
          • Hunter/Prey 1-3
          • Superman Vs Darkseid
          • Superman: Infinity City, red half, always get distracted when reading this one.
          • Superman's pal Jimmy Olsen Special, red
          • All-Star Superman 1-12, red all. (Amazing)
          • Superman: Birthright.

I think it's almost always been good reading him
          Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Forgot some.

• Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds
          • Final Crisis: Superman Beyond
          • Superman/Shazam: First Thunder
          • Kingdom Comce
          • Superman: Red Son
          • Superman: True Brit Cough $#!TCough
          Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nighthunter
          Grant Morrison said:
          In the end, I saw Superman not as a superhero or even a science fiction character, but as a story of Everyman. We’re all Superman in our own adventures. We have our own Fortresses of Solitude we retreat to, with our own special collections of valued stuff, our own super–pets, our own “Bottle Cities” that we feel guilty for neglecting. We have our own peers and rivals and bizarre emotional or moral tangles to deal with.

I felt I’d really grasped the concept when I saw him as Everyman, or rather as the dreamself of Everyman. That “S” is the radiant emblem of divinity we reveal when we rip off our stuffy shirts, our social masks, our neuroses, our constructed selves, and become who we truly are.

Batman is obviously much cooler, but that’s because he’s a very energetic and adolescent fantasy character: a handsome billionaire playboy in black leather with a butler at this beck and call, better cars and gadgetry than James Bond, a horde of fetish femme fatales baying around his heels and no boss. That guy’s Superman day and night.

Superman grew up baling hay on a farm. He goes to work, for a boss, in an office. He pines after a hard–working gal. Only when he tears off his shirt does that heroic, ideal inner self come to life. That’s actually a much more adult fantasy than the one Batman’s peddling but it also makes Superman a little harder to sell. He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman.

He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale. His worries and emotional problems are the same as ours... except that when he falls out with his girlfriend, the world trembles. "
          Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Supreme Marvel
          Nighthunter said:
          "Grant Morrison said:
          He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman."

I wondered why they had that picture at the end.
          Labouring
          Labouring

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Supreme Marvel

What did people think of New Krypton Special?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nighthunter

I loved it, too bad that you know who lost his daddy...just for you know who to get her back lol

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Supreme Marvel

And then you know who gets asked to join you know who to stop you know what. lol

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nighthunter

yeah lol

that was completely expected though

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I know, you know who, is always needed and then disbanded when they uses you know who.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nighthunter

lol we really should stop talking like that...

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Did you write spoilers? Am gonna show my friend the new episode of Supernatural. How funny it?

See you in about 45 minutes.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Loved the doomsday part.

Anyone feel it's compares to Sinrstro War?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Nighthunter

I don't think it's as good, but the ramnifications will obviously be great

So far it's been a good event

For the first time in a long time, all of the superman books are great (including the one-shots of robinson)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.