Superman Collection Stolen From Mentally Disabled Man

#1 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone heard of this? This was linked by a friend back in FB.

http://nerdapproved.com/misc-weirdness/superman-collection-stolen-from-mentally-disabled-man/

#2 Posted by King Saturn (224776 posts) - - Show Bio
wow... that's totally wack.
#3 Posted by mikethekiller (8474 posts) - - Show Bio

Cold as ice

#4 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio

Find them and Kill them.

#5 Edited by Edamame (28391 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what happens when you are disabled. It is easy for others to take advantage of you.

I state the obvious, however.

#6 Posted by pikahyper (12640 posts) - - Show Bio

Shouldn't the Hardee's still have the guys old employment records? Guy has to be a total moron to think he could get away with it.

#7 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio

They should probably just find them and kill them though.

#8 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
Suck their blood Turok!
#9 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea... I heard about this a couple of days ago. Pretty horrible.

#10 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad:  
Let me find out they are in my neck of the woods...and I will!
#11 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot stress strongly enough that they should be stalked down like scum and thoroughly killed to death.

#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13622 posts) - - Show Bio

.........wow

#13 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

The bastard... If I had any Superman stuff i'd send it to him..

#14 Posted by Whisper_ (3464 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
#15 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

Mm saw it on Tumblr. Terrible.

#16 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if the scumbag had actually taken the time to READ some Superman comics, they'd have instilled some values in him.

#17 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9199 posts) - - Show Bio

#18 Posted by Dark_Fang (545 posts) - - Show Bio

Shit. That's cold.

#19 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9199 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dark_Fang said:

Shit. That's cold.

Yeah, pretty much.

Although, people are donating money and comics to help the guy out.

Perhaps DC should send this guy some stuff.

#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess he's lucky that they did'nt take anything else.

#21 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4253 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

The bastard... If I had any Superman stuff i'd send it to him..

@OmegaDynasty said:

@Dark_Fang said:

Shit. That's cold.

Yeah, pretty much.

Although, people are donating money and comics to help the guy out.

Perhaps DC should send this guy some stuff.

I'm glad to hear people are donating, sad story but the fact that people are responding lifts my hope for this world a little.

#22 Posted by _slim_ (13608 posts) - - Show Bio

Sh!t happens....*shrugs*
The guy who did it saw an easy lick. Can't trust everybody.

#23 Posted by MrDirector786 (43636 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. That really sucks.

#24 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard about this on Hollywood Babble-On.

This is just awful. Does the disabled man live alone?

#25 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

This thief better get what's coming to him. I hope the justice system can make an exception and NOT let him get away with this one.

#26 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

The son of a b---- who did that should be shot and p---ed on.

#27 Posted by progenitor (7551 posts) - - Show Bio

Some people have no shame.
#28 Posted by jeanlucpicard (1845 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone: You're funny, I shall fallow thee.

#29 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

NOT. COOL.

#30 Posted by Benuben (230 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shadow_Thief said:

Maybe if the scumbag had actually taken the time to READ some Superman comics, they'd have instilled some values in him.

Yeah, it's kind of ironic.

#31 Posted by Billy Batson (58269 posts) - - Show Bio

:(
BB

#32 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anyone posted here yet that they caught the culprit and returned the collection? They nailed the dirtbag.

#33 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

Has anyone posted here yet that they caught the culprit and returned the collection? They nailed the dirtbag.

Really? Woot woot! I hope when you meant "nailed", it's literal.... :D
#34 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I heard about that on today's Hollywood Babble-On. Justice is great :)

#35 Posted by cattlebattle (13187 posts) - - Show Bio

When they catch the guy they should send him to the Phantom Zone

#37 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14430 posts) - - Show Bio

^ Hell yeah , now for ironys sake put the dude in a cell with a group of " friendly people" dressed as Superman. The dude is low desrves to be treated as such

#38 Posted by TheRedRobin (226 posts) - - Show Bio

That's just cold. Luckily they caught him.

#39 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio

GRANITE CITY • In the end, things played out the way they do in the Superman comic books. Good conquered evil. Justice prevailed. A tale of the vulnerable being victimized spawned a chain of good will that spread not only across the country, but the world.

Mike Meyer, who lives off Social Security checks for a mental disability and a part-time job at McDonald's, had his stolen Superman collection returned in its entirety this week after police tracked down the loot and the alleged thief.

The good news came one day after Meyer, 48, of Granite City, received his first glimpse of the generosity sparked by a story that spread from one comic book collector to the next via a network of online message boards and email lists.

Dozens of their letters, comic books and figurines were delivered to his house — just the start of what has been promised in the flood of messages and calls from people who read his story in the Post-Dispatch last week.

Meyer, who lives alone with his dogs Krypto and Dyno, has been a Superman collector most of his life. Sometime the week of Aug. 29, he was tricked out of more than 1,800 of his favorite Superman comic books, along with hundreds of figurines and other memorabilia.

Meyer suspected an old acquaintance he encountered at a comic book store just days before noticing the huge gap in his collection. The man had invited himself to Meyer's house and asked to see where he kept the most precious items. Then the man left while his girlfriend watched movies with Meyer.

On Friday, Granite City police announced they had arrested and obtained charges against Gerry Armbruster, 37, of the 2200 block of Iowa Street in Granite City. Police said Armbruster was linked to the Superman case after being caught Thursday forcibly robbing jewelry and money from a 76-year-old who had hired him to do renovation work on a business there.

"I felt very happy and felt justice was served," Meyer said in a phone interview Friday from work. He said the Superman comics and movies have taught him not to react with revenge or contempt, and that "you cannot give evil for evil."

"I forgive him, but I'm not going to forget," he said.

The morals of the comics appear to have left an imprint on others as well. Many who sent cards and donations said they felt compelled to carry out the spirit of Superman. Donations have come in from Florida, Colorado, Alaska. The story also spread internationally.

"I am keen to know if you can put me in touch with the poor chap who was done such a rotten turn," wrote a man named Paul, from Australia.

"This is by far the most horrible thing I read this month, or even year," said Adrian, from Canada.

"I told my wife, and we were literally in tears because we felt so badly about what happened," said Ben Bittner of Shakopee, Minn., who has a brother with special needs.

He wanted to know how to send a care package to Meyer, explaining, "Comic book fans believe in paying it forward."

A Facebook page dedicated to Meyer has more than 2,100 "likes." Celebrities and publicists associated with Superman films, past and future, have expressed interest in reaching out to him.

Cleveland, Ohio, officials have offered to pay Meyer's way to the city for a grand tour of the house where Joe Shuster created Superman. The Chamber of Commerce in Metropolis, Ill., which bills itself the "Hometown of Superman," also has a plan in the works. A group called Superfriends of Metropolis plans to drop off hundreds of donations next week.

"It boils down to that spirit of swoop in and save the day. We want to right what was wrong the way our superheroes do in the comics," said the group's Keith Howard of Belleville, who spearheaded the effort.

Jon Bogdanove, an artist who was under contract with DC Comics through most of the 1990s and drew for its "Man of Steel" comic book, sent a personal drawing and some of his recent work.

Bogdanove said he was inspired by the support shown by the comic book collector groups and wanted to do his part.

"I think, as kids, that's the kind of lesson we get from Superman," he said. "Superman is really about doing whatever you can to help."

Police said they also received packages in the last week that were sent for Meyer.

Armbruster is charged with one count of residential burglary in the Superman theft, and one count each of robbery and aggravated burglary for the more recent incident, which left the elderly man with minor injuries. Armbruster was held at the Madison County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.

As for his Meyer's collection, he now has close to double what he had lost. Meyer said he wants to give the donations to charity, possibly delivering them to a children's hospital.

"People were generous to me," he said. "This is how I can be generous in return."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_ca023a0b-df7b-5f2d-b86e-6b5c2327b04f.html#ixzz1YWxSoRWY
#40 Posted by weaponxxx (427 posts) - - Show Bio

FUCK YEAH!!!! DUDE GOT HIS STUFF BACK!!

#41 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4253 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!! this has been in the back of my mind for a while now and I'm ecstatic that Mr. Meyer got his stuff back. Dude named his dog Krypto NICE! It's always pretty impressive to hear he is donating some of his collection to charity.

#42 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow that is actually really sad.......almost makes me want to give him all my Superman stuff I dont want any more.

#43 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheRedRobin96 said:

Wow that is actually really sad.......almost makes me want to give him all my Superman stuff I dont want any more.

He got his stuff back and the a-hole thief got caught.
#44 Posted by cattlebattle (13187 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad said:
@TheRedRobin96 said:

He got his stuff back and the a-hole thief got caught.
Did they send the thief to the Phantom Zone??
#45 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle: Apparently not. Authorities say the Phantom Zone does not exist! The infidels!
#46 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio

What a little b!tch. Robbing the elderly and mentally disabled.

It's amazingly heartwarming to see the widespread response to this, though. Raises my hopes for humanity just a bit.

#47 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Ok that makes me feel better lol

#48 Posted by MrDirector786 (43636 posts) - - Show Bio

Good to know that he got his stuff back. But the culprit does need to get sent to the Phantom Zone as other users have said. :P

#49 Posted by CrimsonCake (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

At least he'll be able to collect Man of Steel merchandise when the movie comes out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.