Superman collection help

#1 Posted by Vilai (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi fellow supermanians :) i started reading comics and started a collection as well. I wanted to collect the Death, Funeral, and Return of Superman, I didn't know how many issues there are in total so i think it was best to ask the people who should know. I want to know the number of issues including tie-ins and all. I was wondering if there are any other notable titles i should grab. I prefer getting issues not TPB too.

I am currently reading Action Comics, Superman(though it has pained me so far we'll see how Lobdell does :) ), Superboy(eh Lobdell's tie-ins so much with other comics limit my enjoyment of reading Superboy on its own), and Supergirl. I am in the works of getting issues of All-Star Superman, my favorite so far. I have John Byrne's Man of Steel and Superman: Earth One, by Straczynski. I think i might need another origins story as well for current incarnation (recommendations?)

Side note: I like to read things that say Superman is AMAZING, like All-Star Superman, I don't mind having to do a little thinking to understand the greatness of Superman too. I like thinking :)

Is there anything fellow Superman fans believe i should add to my collection? Please add description too not just name of things recommended to get.

Possible Additions: JLA/AVENGERS (because issue 4 cover of Supes w/ Cap's shield and Thor's hammer is epic)

JLA (New 52)

#2 Posted by NewKid (359 posts) - - Show Bio

my favourites are all-star superman and a superman for all seasons by tim sale and jeph loeb (my fave origin story def recommend!). i also really enjoyed the Red Son elseworlds story.

#3 Posted by EddieMo13 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Secret Origins is a really nice story. I thoroughly enjoyed the art and the story line! Some may say it's not as good as Birthright, but it gave me the feeling it should deserve more. I prefer Secret Origins over Birthright though. I am also in the midst of getting For All Seasons.

I think the Superman Braniac - Last stand on new Krypton was great, but that is over 30 issues combined.

If you like to read things that portray Superman as the amazing person he is, then I suggest DC: One Million. That is a must have for all die hard Superman fans! It isn't really about Superman himself, but it does have his strongest incarnation in it: Superman Prime One Million. On a side note, DC: One Million is a little pricey, so I suggest a reprint under the name JLA: One Million (Which costs roughly 15 dollars on Amazon).

#4 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@NewKid said:

my favourites are all-star superman and a superman for all seasons by tim sale and jeph loeb (my fave origin story def recommend!). i also really enjoyed the Red Son elseworlds story.

This

#5 Posted by TERMINATOR1000 (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

@polo327 said:

@NewKid said:

This

doubled

mine as well, wish i had that comic still too... even ebay doesnt have some of the original superman comics.

#6 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

It got mixed reviews but I thought Superman: Earth One was pretty good.

#7 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vilai: i would say Superman: Whatever Happened to the man of tommarow?, Superman Red Son, Superman" Speeding Bullets, and Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. must have in superman fans collection

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.