I see alot of dumb comments when discussing a Superman game like ''I want to go to the moon in a Superman game & thats why there will be never a good superman game because that tech isnt ere yet'', not to mention the invincible excuse which gets old quick.
The bottom line is there isnt enough desire to commit to making a great superman game. Most superhero games are cash ins for a quick buck minus the New Batman games. Rocksteady really committed to making a great game & had the ideas to go along with it with not time restraints.
Simple solutions to the Nay sayers regarding the [B]MYTHS of the superman games[/B]:
[U]1. Superman has to fight Robots all the time for combat[/U]:[B] FALSE[/B]
- Superman games become so bad because they are fighting drones all the time. Superman while superpowerful can still fight Magic enemies, Green Kryptonite infected enemies, Blue Kryptonite enemies & other kryptonians. This is just level combat not boss Villians like Darkside, Mettallo, Zod, Robotic Luther, Doomsday, Braniac, Bizarro etc. So you still can have Batman AA/ AC type fights with a gang of enemies where you box them up perform throws & use powers etc
[U]2. Superman Missions wouldnt be challenging: [/U][B]FALSE[/B] Yes we all know Superman cant die but that doesnt mean he cant fail a mission & have to restart/retry the level hence challenging gameplay. Like I mentioned earlier there are enemies you can fight every level that can get you a loss. There could be Missions where specifc powers need to be untilized & possibly puzzle solving added. Their could be a timer for certain missions, too many casualties can cause a retry/restart, not stopping a disaster, killing someone, getting caught in stealth missions, missing the object etc
[U]3. Superman games would conist of spamming Heat Vision: [/U][B]FALSE[/B] While heat vision is a excellent tool, not every enemy would be vulnerable to heat strikes. Some enemies could have certain weaknesses. Example Green K enemies you fight from a distance because the krypt, Blue K enemies hand to hand combat because supe has no powers, Kryptonians can fight you anyway etc There also can be a combo of different types causing you to improvise.
[U]4. Superman would have restraints using his powers , so it wouldnt feel like Superman:[/U] [B]FALSE[/B] While their are plenty of limits in video game design that doesnt mean you cant cut corners to get the same effect. If full building/environment destruction is not possible in a open world, make it possible in the confined levels. Plenty of games have full destruction environments in a open world like Red Faction. And its definitely possible to Bulldoze through cars like in most racing games.
-Superman Returns showcased the flight speeds & the heights you can travel which was pretty impressive. However you can take it a step further by once you get to the invisible wall in the sky, have it teleport you to a Space Map where your above earth. Same effect that you see in Mario games where you go in a tunnel & then you are in a new area possibly the moon or something.
- Superspeed is possible by just slowing down time like in Spiderman 3. You walk/run at a normal speed but everything is in slow mo
- Plenty of games allow you to swim which was left out of Superman Returns for some reason. Opening up the Ocean can add more mission possibilites aswell
- Superman can have the X-Ray vision like Batman AC has where the entire city comes up in a mode where it showcases the enemies & weapons. Could be very usefull for finding hidden objectives or stealth missions as CK.
[U]5. Superman must lose all his powers in the game[/U]: [B]FALSE[/B] The best thing about Superman is the powers . So theres no reason to avoid that. The best thing you can do is design a game around utilizing the powers. Have certain missions require a specific power or a combination of them. Dont have to many missions where any thing goes, have em specifically designed where powers are needed to complete the objectives
[U]6. Superman is not a fun character:[/U] [B]FALSE[/B] Superman may be a ''Boy Scout'' but has the abilities to do more than most games can allow not to mention all the baseic stuff. Side Missions & Quick Missions can only enhance the experience. Save lifes, stop crimes, save the environement etc
- Bank Robberies
- Fires(Buildings, Gas station, Forrest, Car)
- Police Chases
- Vacating citizens
- Drowning citizens
- Stranded in remote areas
- Sinking Ship
- Transport to Hospital
- Accident Cleanup
- Finding Bombs
- Finding lost kids
- Stopping trains
- Falling debris
- Hostage Situations
-Clark Kent Journalist investivaging /Batman type side missions