Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman: Batman's Puching Bag

• 60 results
    Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jeremy1989

Folks, I'm just gonna get this out of the way right now.

My thing about the whole Batman vs Superman fight and the Batman/Superman "friendship".

Whenever I see them together I always think they're equals, because, they're The World's Finest.....

NOPE.

You know what I see? I see Supes being nothing more than Batman's whipping boy. Have you ever notice that? When you think about it, it kinda make sense. Why do you think Batman always belittles and put downs Superman even despite Batman "respect" him? Trying to one up and prove him wrong every chance he gets.

I don't know if it's the writer's fault. I think that's main reason for the New 52 Superman to be bit brash and assertive because of all that.

Feel free to disagree, and tell me what you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

The DC universe is Batman's punching bag.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 superman is a jerk sometimes.

Batman is always a jerk though. He is prideful, and is not scared of superman whatsoever. That's why he treats him like everyone else. However he does respect superman and is actually his friend, moreso than any other justice leaguer. Superman's too nice to try to one up Bruce, even in this jerkier new 52 version. Like batman said before, "Deep down, Clark is essentially a good person... and deep down, I'm not"

Batman also probably does that to show that he good enough to stand next to supes as an equal and demand respect, since he is just a human.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By comicace3

@dagmar_merrill: LMAO

But anyways I believe batman is one of the only people to make superman feel human. Deep down i believe clark likes when he's one upped by Bruce because he was one of the few people from child hood that wasn't afraid of him Don't you think with all those powers you'd need someone to hold you down a tiny bit?

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO. That is also true. I feel as if DC Universe revolves around Batman.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Night4345

Wish we had Earth-2 Superman and Batman's friendship and kickass families. Earth-Prime should have had the dead Trinity and dark universe.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But anyways I believe batman is one of the only people to make superman feel human. Deep down i believe clark likes when he's one upped by Bruce because he was one of the few people from child hood that wasn't afraid of him Don't you think with all those powers you'd need someone to hold you down a tiny bit?

I get that, but don't be a d**k about it.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@jayc1324 said:

Like batman said before, "Deep down, Clark is essentially a good person... and deep down, I'm not"

:) ....pre-52...sigh.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By arthurkerr

@jeremy1989: I do not agree I find them the best of friends and they see nothing but mutal respect if done right. Batman would only think of Clark as a good soul one whom may be a bit naive because he leaves himself open but that would be it. Clark would see in Batman somebody that as weathered a great storm and came out better for it.

We see in each of them two souls trying to fit into a larger picture.

Please stop the batman vs superman crap.

More like the Bruce and Clark trying to get through DC universe and the writers trying to kill them every single day.

If you can do that.

Damn your good.

I hate hero vs hero

waste of my time because really it is about what my pen wants to happen , my keyboard want to take place.

Can I imagine a great story , can I make both heroes look good and useful without taking anything away from the other.

Is there beer and chips put out when taking a break for I get damn well thirsty and need something to stir the creative mind to bring about the image of Clark flying along side the Bat wing or even better Blue Beetles ship because why fly yourself when you can get somebody else to do it.

Or even bigger and better why does Superman not have his own ship like in the movie? I am sure he would not want to carry everybody every damn place he went. Please for the love of god and story. Give him his own ship.

ps no beer or chips were consumed in the making of this post. ( I have yet to do a beer and chip run)

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jayc1324: Do we just brush aside all the instances where Batman openly admits to being afraid of Superman if he ever goes rogue?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: please direct me to a time where he said he is scared of superman.

He has fougt a rogue superman before. He's not scared of him. He doesn't fear death

Perhaps he fears the things superman would do but I really don't think he would ever look at superman and be afraid

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is right to be scared of a rogue superman. But he also has tons of plans agaisnt superman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324:

It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him.

And Batman's plans for a rogue Superman is to hope Clark is being mind controlled, is fighting the mind control and he has the ability to reach him. Otherwise, Batman knows he's in for the biggest beat down of his life unless Frank Miller is writing the story. And don't even bother trying to post Pak's B/S fight because Batman only gained the advantage because Superman didn't want to harm him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Yeah that's not him being scared of superman. Likewise superman has called Batman the most dangerous man on earth, doesn't mean he's scared of him.

Actually batman didn't want to hurt superman. Bats wasn't even going to fight him at first. then supes attacked first by jump kicking him in the face. When it was all over batman had superman barely alive

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Superguy1591

@jayc1324: See, that's just a writer trying to wank Batman by using Superman to prop him up. Compare that to Batman who is so terrified of Superman that he walks around with Kryptonite where ever he goes.

It's not just Batman either; they're all afraid of a rogue Superman in the JL original 7, even Superman.

As far as Pak's fight goes, Superman only kicked him because he wanted the fight to look believable and he wanted Batman to win. We saw how easily Supergirl and Krypto avoided the effects of Kryptonite because they wanted to and how Superman just allowed Batman to get close enough for the Kryptonite to take effect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Still batman isn't afraid of superman. I don't believe any of them are. They simply know his power and that if he went rogue they'd be in trouble. However that's not really fear so much as caution. If he went rogue they would all stand their ground and fight. None of them would run away hiding in a corner scared.

I don't even know how kryptonite affects superman. From what I've seen, sometimes a small amount takes him out, and other times it does very little. Like when he beat kryptonite man.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jmarshmallow

@superguy1591: Are you kidding me?

Literally EVERY member of the Justice League has not only stated that they respect Batman, but most have even admitted that he's one of the most dangerous JL members as well.

No Caption Provided

Aquaman tells Batman while he was devising War Plans against Earth, he specifically included Batman in those plans because he viewed him as a major threat before he even knew him.

No Caption Provided

Green Lantern straight up admits that he would take care of Batman first because he's the most dangerous. An entire league of superpowered beings, and Hal considers Batman to be the biggest threat.

And look what we have here. Superman himself.

These are two separate instances, but I just grouped them together to save space.

In the first scan, Superman admits that Batman is the most dangerous man on the planet. Straightforward enough.

And in the second one, Superman explains to Wonder Woman why he respects Batman so much. He even admits that if he didn't have superpowers, he is unsure if he'd be as brave as Batman is.

They both have a mutual respect for one another. They're even friends. But to think that Batman is scared of Superman...well frankly that's just ridiculous.

Jmarshmallow

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread lmao

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmarshmallow: He's their "strategist," and they are written as doofuses without him. If I was fighting the Justice League, I take out Batman too.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Exactly. So saying that Batman is scared of Superman is bull.

They both respect each other.

Jmarshmallow

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Batman doesn't really trusts anyone. He's paranoid to the extreme, but a part of him wants to be better. Maybe that's why they work so well together. They balance each other out. Superman is the guy always hoping for the best and Batman is always preparing for the worst.

They do get on each other's nerves from time to time, but that's mainly because of the choices they did growing up, it's not even because one has powers and the other does not, it's just how they are. And that was seen more clearly when in a pre-52 story Batman got Superman's powers and supes was left powerless because of a magic jewel. Having all those powers Batman became even more paranoid and anti-social. He saw in his right to fix the world, even if had to step over everyone. And Superman didn't change because he was powerless, in fact he was the only able to get through to him, and made him see reason when he turned the powers that weren't his against other heroes trying to stop him. Even after they got the jewel back Batman refused at first to give up supes powers.

I actually like the New 52 friendship they have, over previous versions. They're more willing to trust each other, work together, and even deal with each other way of doing things.

Batman may not be afraid of Superman, but he's cautious. And he would be a fool if he wasn't. He knows supes isn't evil, but he also knows that he's the target to a lot of villains that try to exploit any possible weakness in Superman to turn him against the world.

So the all punching bag thing is a little over the top. Specially now.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ScouterV

Batman is right to be scared of a rogue superman. But he also has tons of plans agaisnt superman.

There are few people that wouldn't be scared of a Rogue Superman. Unless you've got lead lined walls, or can get to another dimension you really can't hide. Unless you can access the Speedforce (which only Barry and potentially Wally seem capable of doing in the New 52,) you really can't run.

@jayc1324 said:

@superguy1591: Yeah that's not him being scared of superman. Likewise superman has called Batman the most dangerous man on earth, doesn't mean he's scared of him.

Actually batman didn't want to hurt superman. Bats wasn't even going to fight him at first. then supes attacked first by jump kicking him in the face. When it was all over batman had superman barely alive

Me thinks his respect has a tendency to overshadow logic.

Superman thinks Bruce is the most dangerous? Realistically, Lex Luthor, Barry Allen, Kyle Rayner...all more dangerous than Batman. Even Cyborg and you could argue Shazam and Black Adam if you consider them human, are more a threat than Bruce. Or if Owlman follows the same trend as Ultraman (who is Morals off Superman, making Owlman morals off Batman,) than Thomas Wayne Jr. is the most dangerous man on the planet.

This isn't me saying that Batman is not a threat. But realistically, he's not even the most dangerous human. By default MAYBE he's the most dangerous human in The League...but that's a big maybe.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Bezza

..no Superman isn't Batman's punch bag....

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mightus
    No Caption Provided

Hey they get along better than people on forums.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

..no Superman isn't Batman's punch bag....

Agreed. Don't know where the OP got that idea from.

aamerkastoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By aamerkastoff

Superman comics have suffered greatly from lazy writing and a large number of Batman "fanboy" writers controlling the stories. Superman is constantly used as a whipping boy and every time a writer wants their chosen favorite to look tough they pull out Superman and start beating on him. kryptonite, Dooms Day spores, and sudden power loss or losing control of his powers seem to be the only thing DC writers can come up with. It is lazy, lazy writing.

The best Superman stories do not involve him losing powers or dealing with yet another extremely convoluted story where Batman some how is able to yet again punch a guy capable of reacting faster than Batman can think. The Best stories are Superman stopping a girl from committing suicide or Superman trying to stop a runaway train while there is also a hurricane hitting the coast and a meteor heading toward the earth. I would be embarrassed to write the same regurgitated stories that DC writers have been writing for nearly three decades!

Superman is the true hero. He is the shining example, he is hope, he is the guy doing what is right because it is what is right. His motives are not revenge like Batman or fame like Booster Gold, Superman lost his entire world and its people, he lost his earth dad, he has lost friends and loved ones and yet he has never given in to vengeance or hatred like Batman has and that is what Superman stories should be about. Superman saving the day and inspiring the world. The real world has enough super rich guys who bully everyone and think they know what is best for everyone else, we need less bat-bully and more Superman.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman comics have suffered greatly from lazy writing and a large number of Batman "fanboy" writers controlling the stories. Superman is constantly used as a whipping boy and every time a writer wants their chosen favorite to look tough they pull out Superman and start beating on him. kryptonite, Dooms Day spores, and sudden power loss or losing control of his powers seem to be the only thing DC writers can come up with. It is lazy, lazy writing.

The best Superman stories do not involve him losing powers or dealing with yet another extremely convoluted story where Batman some how is able to yet again punch a guy capable of reacting faster than Batman can think. The Best stories are Superman stopping a girl from committing suicide or Superman trying to stop a runaway train while there is also a hurricane hitting the coast and a meteor heading toward the earth. I would be embarrassed to write the same regurgitated stories that DC writers have been writing for nearly three decades!

Superman is the true hero. He is the shining example, he is hope, he is the guy doing what is right because it is what is right. His motives are not revenge like Batman or fame like Booster Gold, Superman lost his entire world and its people, he lost his earth dad, he has lost friends and loved ones and yet he has never given in to vengeance or hatred like Batman has and that is what Superman stories should be about. Superman saving the day and inspiring the world. The real world has enough super rich guys who bully everyone and think they know what is best for everyone else, we need less bat-bully and more Superman.

I fully agree there. DC needs to stop making Superman edgier or turn him evil.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightus said:
    No Caption Provided

How I wish I was one of those two "boys" lol

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take the fact comic books today are nothing but fan fics, it explain why everybody is Batman b1@tc#

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take the fact comic books today are nothing but fan fics, it explain why everybody is Batman b1@tc#

I don't personally feel like Batman outshines Superman, I think Superman's the one that does all the outshining. Superman's got the monopoly on superlatives - he's the greatest hero in the Universe, his parents were Krypton's greatest scientists, his girlfriend is the greatest journalist in the World, his archenemy is the smartest man on earth, Brainiac is the most intelligent entity in all of existence...everyone is no one next to Superman save the Batman. Superman is number 1, he's the one to beat, Batman's just the one most likely to beat Superman.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Did you notice Green Lantern and several characters say they are more scare of Batman and the whole fact Batman is more dangerous that anybody else.

@mightus said:
    No Caption Provided

Loading Video...

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Did you notice Green Lantern and several characters say they are more scare of Batman and the whole fact Batman is more dangerous that anybody else.

What you're experiencing right now is a mix of availability heuristic and confirmation bias. Not a week goes by that we're not reminded Superman's the world's greatest hero, no one gets more praise and worship than Superman but you only see the scan that's in front of you which substantiates your vacuous complaint.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

What you're experiencing right now is a mix of availability heuristic and confirmation bias. Not a week goes by that we're not reminded Superman's the world's greatest hero, no one gets more praise and worship than Superman but you only see the scan that's in front of you which substantiates your vacuous complaint.

Batman is fighting Superman all the time, without an armor, then goes and has a plan to deal with pretty much any other character.

Tower of Babel just show how ridiculous Batman gets.

How could Batman be as dangerous as Lex Luthor, Deathstroke or others?

You just said that Batman is the most likely to beat Superman, Batman who we get the whole he is just a normal human being, he is human and ge get remember every single second he is human.

Batman who we get sell is just a human being every single second deal with a being that is a god in the next way.

Batman can deal with Superman without any high tech armor, then goes and dodge Superman a guy that is faster that speed of light, outsmart a guy that has super intelligence, can punch him or even bite him.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:
    @deathpoolthet1000 said:

You say confirmation bias but where is your evidence? where are the facts to back up your argument on the issue to show any validity that is not simply word of mouth?

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FoamBorn

@deathpoolthet1000: aye it's called pandering, something that you guys are very well acclimated to since you are the other group they pander to at the sacrifice of other superheroes such as Wonder Woman. Letting Superman cannibalize the company's top-selling character would be killing the goose that lays golden eggs.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightus: Read the comics tomorrow and I guarantee that someone, somewhere will praise the f*ck out of Superman and remind you again who's the greatest superhero of all.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeremy1989

@mightus said:
    No Caption Provided

Loading Video...

HAHAHA!

No Caption Provided

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

Well didn't DC comics stand for Detective Comics which is now completely treated as just another Batman centered title YES? haha

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989 said:
    @dagmar_merrill said:

Well didn't DC comics stand for Detective Comics which is now completely treated as just another Batman centered title YES? haha

Most definitely yes, especially DC Comics as Detective Comics.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When did they meet as childs? I must read it.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By redwingx

@thitiki said:

@comicace3 said:

They didn't.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thitiki: @redwingx: earth two yeah they did. It still would've been the same situation.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightus said:
    No Caption Provided

Loading Video...

Perfect lmao.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Thitiki
    BlackKaizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx: I'm pretty sure he's referring to the plot that takes place in earth 2 of batman and superman.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

@thitiki said:

@comicace3 said:

They didn't.

They did in Earth 2

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jimishim12

@foamborn said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

I don't personally feel like Batman outshines Superman, I think Superman's the one that does all the outshining. Superman's got the monopoly on superlatives - he's the greatest hero in the Universe, his parents were Krypton's greatest scientists, his girlfriend is the greatest journalist in the World, his archenemy is the smartest man on earth, Brainiac is the most intelligent entity in all of existence...everyone is no one next to Superman save the Batman. Superman is number 1, he's the one to beat, Batman's just the one most likely to beat Superman.

His girlfriend now is the greatest female superhero in the universe, the greatest Amazonian warrior in greece and is the daughter of the king of Olympian Gods making herself a goddess by birth.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His girlfriend now is the greatest female superhero in the universe, the greatest Amazonian warrior in greece and is the daughter of the king of Olympian Gods making herself a goddess by birth.

His current girlfriend/sidekick is a mediocre facsimile of Wonder Woman created by Charles Soule, whose life revolves around Superman. My Wonder Woman, the real one is second to none.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Batman doesn't really trusts anyone. He's paranoid to the extreme, but a part of him wants to be better. Maybe that's why they work so well together. They balance each other out. Superman is the guy always hoping for the best and Batman is always preparing for the worst.

They do get on each other's nerves from time to time, but that's mainly because of the choices they did growing up, it's not even because one has powers and the other does not, it's just how they are. And that was seen more clearly when in a pre-52 story Batman got Superman's powers and supes was left powerless because of a magic jewel. Having all those powers Batman became even more paranoid and anti-social. He saw in his right to fix the world, even if had to step over everyone. And Superman didn't change because he was powerless, in fact he was the only able to get through to him, and made him see reason when he turned the powers that weren't his against other heroes trying to stop him. Even after they got the jewel back Batman refused at first to give up supes powers.

I actually like the New 52 friendship they have, over previous versions. They're more willing to trust each other, work together, and even deal with each other way of doing things.

Batman may not be afraid of Superman, but he's cautious. And he would be a fool if he wasn't. He knows supes isn't evil, but he also knows that he's the target to a lot of villains that try to exploit any possible weakness in Superman to turn him against the world.

So the all punching bag thing is a little over the top. Specially now.

do u know the name of that comic. I want to get it.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vandersexxx said:

@jeremy1989 said:
    @dagmar_merrill said:

Most definitely yes, especially DC Comics as Detective Comics.

Detective comics comics publishes Detective comics which stars Batman who originated in Detective comics as a not so comical detective. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.