Superman

• 108 results
#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

just thought i'd ask...

around this board, in quite a few topics, i've noticed a general dislike (to put it mildly) of Superman.

i'm just wondering, why?

is there something in general that people don't like about the character?

it seems i'm one of the minority that actually like the character and what he stands for, i found these video's showing Superman and thought i'd share them here, see if i could bring people out to talk about what they like / dislike about the character.

so what do people actually think of the man of steel?

M

#2 Posted by Icoop (310 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing I don't like about him was Superman Returns.

#3 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I love Superman as a character. I think he has been written badly in some of the older decades, but he's the archetype for shiny-bright superheroism. Some say he's over-powered, so that things are rarely ever tough for him. Do these people actually read the stories? Sure, his private life in general is better than most other supers, but that is part of the appeal. As much as I love Batman or the X-Men, there's just so much dark/brooding or mutant downtrodden angst I can put up with. Give me some bright goody-two-shoes to go with my dark world.

#4 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is my all time favourite superhero. He's the reason I got into comics.

#5 Posted by Ebony Bishop (767 posts) - - Show Bio

I think part of the problem is easily defined reading through the Battles forum here on ComicVine -- he beats almost everyone. He's written as practically a god, and it's so hard for people to cheer for someone like that. You have to feel your heroes are struggling to beat someone MORE powerful than them.

I mean, it always amazes me how easy Kryptonite is to come by on Earth. A planet explodes light years from where he ends up, in a rocket-propelled ship, and it seems everyone and their cousin can just end up with a fragment if they look in the bushes behind their house.

I think by juxtapositioning Superman with some of his better "homages", you can see how the character has been used incorrectly, and how well he could have been written.

But don't look at me. I'm a Marvel guy. My hero, Spider-Man, gets his ass handed to him constantly.

#6 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is written badly sometimes. Oddly, he is seen as one of the most 'mainstream' super heroes (pro-government yadda yadda), but his early stories he is very much a people's hero. He tackles corruption, beats up a wife beater etc. I think he works best as an icon, half folk hero, half greek god. He does face serious challenges, sans kryptonite, but he is too powerful for that each week (the sort of threat to challenge him would be world threatening). I think his best written stories often involve his inner struggle between what he knows is right and what he wants to do (Kingdom Come springs to mind).

As for Spidey, in one respect the beatings he recieves do detract from his realism IMO. No one would keep fighting crime after some of the stuff he's been put through. I'm glad he doesn't quit, he's my second favourite.

#7 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Superman. He's too happy, he never has any problems. He's so naive. I don't mind bright superheroes, I just really dislike superman. A lot of it is how strong he is, too-he never gets hurt.

#8 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Superman. He does get hurt, just look at Godfall, it's full of his frailties. To me, he's second only to the Bat when it comes to superheroes.

#9 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is the best one, he's human but more than that. What I like about Superman is his inbuilt sweetness, his trust and love of people in general that makes him vulnerable.

#10 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at least you like Batman : ).

Superman doesn't feel relatable. He's a shining alien who always swoops in to save the day, and it's bull. I like Spidey and Batman more.

#11 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

very likely. We'll have to agree to disagree or just agree to annihilate one another on principle shrugs

#12 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

That's part of the deal, he is a champion. You don't have to relate to him to appreciate him. He's like Hercules or Thor, someone else it would be hard to relate too.

#13 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

That's exactly why I dislike Superman. This might be a good vs. evil issue.

#14 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I can live with that.

#15 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

No offense intended, Fourpower, but I'll say it again. If you say he's "too powerful," "never gets hurt," "doesn't face dificulty like so-and-so" then you aren't really reading the stories. Compare/contrast with Batman, who's living the good life, but he's too caught up in his own pain to recognize it. I get it, he lost his parents to violent crime. Ok, fine, but you still live in the big mansion on the hill and have billions of dollars to play with. Take some frickin' time off and enjoy life a little.

See, I can pick apart a character as well as the next guy. It's all so arbitrary and subjective.

#16 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

You think that dressing up like a bat and fighting crime every night is the good life?

I meant physically hurt.

#17 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

But he can be. Isn't that what Kryptonite is for? I know they generally make him invulnerable physically but that's not his weakness. Like Bruce isn't weak emotionally, Clark is.

#18 Posted by G-Man (34125 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Superman. It's just easy to try to break his super balls, especially with all those corny old comics. He is hard to write. That's been the problem. I do thing that the recent issues have been pretty good. Despite how some feel, I like what Johns and Donner are doing on Action Comics with Zod. I don't care if it's a retcon, it's good. Busiek's stuff has been good too.

I don't mind baggin' on Supes, 'cause I know he can handle it...that is until he starts crying again.

Staff
#19 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Perfect! Works for me exactly. Sounds like the reason I can't stand Black Canary

#20 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Fair. All right, I dislike Superman because I feel like it and he's too goody-goody. Is that good?

#21 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL it's those tights, you'll understand when you get older ;)

#22 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason, I like Black Canary. When I read a comic with her, I have trouble putting it down or looking away. Not sure why.....

#23 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Ohhhh...

Do you think that's the reason I keep buying Birds of Prey and anything with Starfire in it?

#24 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO! Definitely!

#25 Posted by Pontius (346 posts) - - Show Bio

Starfire is smoking hot, even if she is orange.

#26 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, it's all downhill from there.

#27 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, God, i'm turning into a teenager.

Soon, girls (which, usually, drive me nuts) will become ATTRACTIVE! I"LL GET ACNE! SAVE ME!

#28 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Raines says:

"Starfire is smoking hot, even if she is orange."

You're really helping.

Stupid puberty....

#29 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Just think of the joys that come after: COLLEGE! Man alive, uni was the bestest time ever.

#30 Posted by Pontius (346 posts) - - Show Bio

Isnt this a Superman thread? Superman sucks. Fourpower, your gonna love puperty. Girls are the greatest thing ever.

#31 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes we are. Superman does not suck though, he rocks

#32 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

That's it, 4power's been turned into a teenager, everyone run for your LIVES!!

#33 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

There's something red on my face.

I need to go call Jessica about..um...something.

OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING!

#34 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Hold on to your precious childhood! OMG, I sound like my grandmother. Shoot me, please!

#35 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't run from myself......

Dammit, where's the phone...

#36 Posted by Ms. Invisible (3292 posts) - - Show Bio

Well as a very young child (just note that) he was my favourite superhero at one point and the reason why is because he was so upstanding and was a great role model for me. You know what kids are like, they are attracted to "good" things and I really enjoyed his movies. I would watch them over and over again because I thought it was refreshing to see a superhero who could save the world and hopefully not become corrupted.

As of now, I like Superman because believe it or not, he gives me hope in today's society. We live in such a sucky one and he's still there, being the positive role model he is. And that's the reason why I like him. However, I think the reason why people also think he is godly-like is the publicity he gets, as he is really overrated. I mention people talk about him saying "he could beat anything" and I'm like "Yeah... you think that." And they aren't even into comics, they only like him because they've seen one movie of him.
Post Edited:2007-03-26 18:14:07

#37 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread has officially been:

#38 Posted by speed (550 posts) - - Show Bio

superman is my favorite character

i think i like him because his powers ,to me,seem cool

#39 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh heh.

#40 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Fourpower says:

"Heh heh."

Maybe that's your real superpower, Fourpower: thread derailment. (j/k)

#41 Posted by speed (550 posts) - - Show Bio

what?

#42 Posted by speed (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Superman is my all time favourite superhero. He's the reason I got into comics."

same here

#43 Posted by speed (550 posts) - - Show Bio

oh, haha

#44 Posted by speed (550 posts) - - Show Bio

hes toooooo goody

#45 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I was referring to Prurience Man's post.

#46 Posted by Prodigal Son (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Fourpower says:

"I hate Captain Marvel even more though."

To each his own. I'm a fan of both, though.

#47 Posted by speed (550 posts) - - Show Bio

no ofense to anybody cause i know there some people who like captain america,but i didnt like him cause,i dont why
Post Edited:2007-03-26 19:31:54

#48 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Captain Marvel even more though.

#49 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like Cap till Civil War. He started kicking butt in Civil war when he proved he was more then a goody-two-shoes living flag.

#50 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I totally agree. I just started liking him in Civil War.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.