Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Supergirl Is (Sorta) Casting Superman

greenarrowfan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Though is he not name-checked and only alluded to in the new CBS series’ synopsis, Superman will put in an appearance of sorts in the pilot.

As pointed out by KryptonSite by way of ProjectCasting.com, Supergirl is seeking someone “5-foot-11 or taller,” “square-jawed” and wielding “a ripped physique” to serve as a body double for “a DC Comic Superhero.”

Lest there be any doubt, interested parties are asked to email their application using the subject line “SUPERMAN.”

http://tvline.com/2015/02/24/supergirl-cbs-casting-superman/

The “body double” language suggests that this super fella will only be seen from a distance and/or partially obstructed and/or never in focus, probably (I speculate) to dodge any conflicts with the Man of Steel currently soaring around the DCU, as portrayed by Henry Cavill.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the CBS show part of the DCCU?

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zaied

@nickzambuto: Not to my knowledge. They've actually talked about doing a crossover with CW.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Bit short for Supes?

Anyway, this is gonna like the last episode of Smallville, which couldn't show the suit :P

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaied said:

@nickzambuto: Not to my knowledge. They've actually talked about doing a crossover with CW.

Now that sounds more interesting.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They wasted Routh.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, cameo at best or some distant figure at worst imo. Oh well, good wind to this show anyway (though must admit that I more interested in proposed Krypton series).

P.S. 5-foot-11 or taller, eh? A bit short for Superman imo.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: from the sounds of it this would have been a bigger waste of time. It only would have been the occasional cameo.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: Cavill is so only 6'1.

He is pretty normal.
    He looks huge on camera. Probably due to his build and camera settings.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

I know – and that’s the only problem I have with him. I always imagined Supes to be “larger than life” figure, so knowing that the actor who plays him is shorter than me… Well, that’s a bit disconcerting.

He looks huge on camera. Probably due to his build and camera settings.

MOS done everything right with its camera settings, but BM v SM gonna get a small problem in that regard for me: “we chose Affleck because we wanted seasoned Batman towering over greenhorn Superman”. That’s the gist of one interview I read about reasons for Affleck’s casting :P

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS done everything right with its camera settings, but BM v SM gonna get a small problem in that regard for me: “we chose Affleck because we wanted seasoned Batman towering over greenhorn Superman”. That’s the gist of one interview I read about reasons for Affleck’s casting :P

Yeah I remember that too. Of course it sounded very bad considering what else is rumored about the movie(tdkr influenced and everything).

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, DC is making a mistake with these series. I understand Arrow continuing production since it started more or less around the same time as MoS before the DCCU. I understand Constantine as well since he's a lesser known character, and fits well into his own corner of DC. However, producing shows like Flash and Supergirl, knowing they won't be included in the DCCU, is weird and will only serve to create problems.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: no thanks to Supergirl in the DCCU and they can easily use Wally for Flash.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: no thanks to Supergirl in the DCCU and they can easily use Wally for Flash.

I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that they're using Barry and why don't you want Supergirl in the DCCU? It's been partly confirmed anyways.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, DC is making a mistake with these series. I understand Arrow continuing production since it started more or less around the same time as MoS before the DCCU. I understand Constantine as well since he's a lesser known character, and fits well into his own corner of DC. However, producing shows like Flash and Supergirl, knowing they won't be included in the DCCU, is weird and will only serve to create problems.

Plus all these shows are divided in different networks!

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

If the shows took place in the movies' expanded universe, then it would greatly limit the shows. Anyone killed off in the show wouldn't be able to show up in the movies and vice versa. I don't really watch Marvel or Agents of Shield, but from what I've seen, the plot of Agents of Shield got really convoluted due to the ending of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. "Quick, delete any reference of our agents from the internet!" :/

I've heard the Supergirl movie is set in the Man of Steel universe. Is that still the case?

Oh, and a crossover could still be done thanks to the multiverse.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

Plus all these shows are divided in different networks!

Yeah, even they're TV universes are separate. It all just seems really disjointed. Now, i'm not saying that they have to follow Marvels Peggy Carter/AoS game plan, but simply having everything connected definitely wouldn't hurt. Like Arrow never has to meet Constantine, but just having them in the same universe would be cool.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: They never have confirmed Barry from what I've seen, but as far as Kara, I don't like how she is used with Kal. It turns Kal into an overbearing figure.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Aside from Constantine, all the other networks have a relationship with DC/TW that could allow for a crossover.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@zaied said:

Now that sounds more interesting.

Yeah, especially if they do a crossover with The Flash, since he did talk about wanting to crossover with superman and stuff.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me this Supergirl series is gonna be, more of a test to see how much interested people may be in seeing more of the super-family.

They're already talking about a series that will focus on Krypton.

If Supergirl and Krypton catch the viewers and fans attention, then I'd almost bet they'll start planning a new Superman series. One that will most likely have nothing to do with Smallville.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SaintWildcard

@sanohibiki said:

@saint_wildcard said:

I know – and that’s the only problem I have with him. I always imagined Supes to be “larger than life” figure, so knowing that the actor who plays him is shorter than me… Well, that’s a bit disconcerting.

IT's not the size that matters. it's how you use it..... also you're huge ._____.

One more thing. I did not get this notification

@squalleon said:

@saint_wildcard said:

He is pretty normal.

6'1 is not normal. That's a giant, I'm only 5'7.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Interesting

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hm, not a word about him being white. So are we finally going to get an asian Superman?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@saint_wildcard said:

He is pretty normal.

6'1 is not normal. That's a giant, I'm only 5'7.

Oh. I am 5' 11'(180 cm to exact) and I am around -if not completely- in the middle with my friends and people in general in my town.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SanoHibiki

@saint_wildcard:

IT's not the size that matters. it's how you use it.....

Touché. Still, even better to have both (size and skill) at the same time ;)

also you're huge ._____.

Really?.. I’m 6’2.8 and so far had impression that for current generation such height more like “average tall” than anything “huge”...

One more thing. I did not get this notification

Yeah, they were malfunctioning that day.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, not a word about him being white. So are we finally going to get an asian Superman?

Don't be racist. Think about the underrepresentation of Pacific Islanders.

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@fuzzylittlerodent said:

In a way this has already happened. Dean Cain (Lois & Clark) is of Japanese descent.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

hope they have a better relationship than the new 52

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just now scrolled down the main page and learned that Helen Slater and Dean Cain are gonna play in this show.

Suddenly I’m looking forward this TV-series much more than before. Well played, CBS.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol,i doubt it

NICK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman should be a large person. But most important is the build. First and foremost.

Secondly

Dean Cain was an even 6 ft.

Routh stands 6'2

Than we got the reverse problem with Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

Christian Bale only 6'0 Michael Keaton 5'9 Val Kilmer 6'0 Clooney 5'11

Point being if you embody the character in the right way,certain things can be overlooked.

Cavill at 6'1" and with that build is a big sized person. No problem with how he looks and comes across as Superman. Plenty of height and bulk.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.