Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Sun dipped Superman moved approximately 4.3 Octillion tons

GeneralLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GeneralLuke

Sun dipped Superman moved approximately 4.3 Octillion tons/4,325,781,841,303,900,090,000,000,000 tons

This happened post crisis and I don't know if anyone ever did the calculations. When Superman moved war world which has thrusters that enable it to move beyond light speed, he moved approximately 4.3 Octillion tons.

Superman said war world had the same mass, size etc... as Pluto.

Pluto's mass is 13,090,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg which is 14 Quintillion tons(14,429,255,060,000,237,568 tons specifically)

Since war world's thrusters enable it to move beyond light speed and it used it's thrusters in an attempt to prevent Superman from pushing it, you'd have to apply the momentum = velocity(m/s meters per second) x mass(kg) formula to get the true mass that Superman was actually pushing which would be far beyond just Pluto's mass.

13,140,000,000,000,000,000,000(Pluto's mass) kg x 299,792,458(speed of light in m/s) = 3,924,283,275,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg

In tons that would be 4.3 Octillion tons(4,325,781,841,303,900,090,000,000,000 tons)

To get more of an idea of how astronomical this number is, the combined mass of every planet in our solar system in tons is approximately 2.9 Septillion tons(2,940,408,474,000,000,000,000,000 tons).

You would have to multiply that combined mass by 1471 to get 4.3 Octillion tons. So basically, Sun dipped Superman practically moved the weight of 1471 solar systems that consist of planets with an equal amount of mass as our solar system's planets.

You would also have to multiply Earth's mass(6,583,212,587,989,520,610,000 tons) by 657092 to get that mass. Sun dipped Superman practically moved the weight of 657092(well over half a million) planets all at once that each have an equal mass to Earth.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Don't use real life science with comics, it's pointless

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NiKva

Superman has soft hands, which is why he didn't just blast a whole through the planet while moving it.

/comics

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By TheCrowbar

E=MC^2

Superman had to move infinite mass to move anything beyond the speed of light.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#6  Edited By AssertingValor

@TheCrowbar: No, it takes infinite energy to move anything with mass faster than light

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

That's cool and all.

But I seriously doubt the writers considered that when writing it.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheCrowbar

@LordMaverick said:

@TheCrowbar: No, it takes infinite energy to move anything with mass faster than light

Yes and as you approach the speed of light, there's more mass.

http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/anything-go-faster-than-light

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AssertingValor

@TheCrowbar: You don't gain mass because your moving faster, you gain momentum (meaning harder to stop)

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheCrowbar

@LordMaverick:

"Einstein's theory of special relativity dictates that an object gains mass as it accelerates. The faster it goes, the more massive it becomes."

Please cite your source that says objects don't gain mass as it accelerates. I've cited mine.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AssertingValor

@TheCrowbar: hang on mate

mo·men·tum (m-mntm)n.pl.mo·men·ta (-t) or mo·men·tums1.SymbolpPhysics A measure of the motion of a body equal to the product of its mass and velocity. Also called linear momentum.

2.a. Impetus of a physical object in motion.

b. Impetus of a nonphysical process, such as an idea or a course of events: The soaring rise in interest rates finally appeared to be losing momentum.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Momentum

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In classical mechanics, linear momentum or translational momentum (pl. momenta; SI unit kgm/s, or, equivalently, Ns) is the product of the mass and velocity of an object.

My computer has been freezing constantly

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Urban_Ronin

He used an Einstein-Rosen Bridge and luckily ended up where he intended to :)

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheCrowbar

@LordMaverick said:

@TheCrowbar: hang on mate

mo·men·tum (m-mntm)n.pl.mo·men·ta (-t) or mo·men·tums1.SymbolpPhysics A measure of the motion of a body equal to the product of its mass and velocity. Also called linear momentum.

2.a. Impetus of a physical object in motion.

b. Impetus of a nonphysical process, such as an idea or a course of events: The soaring rise in interest rates finally appeared to be losing momentum.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Momentum

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In classical mechanics, linear momentum or translational momentum (pl. momenta; SI unit kgm/s, or, equivalently, Ns) is the product of the mass and velocity of an object.

My computer has been freezing constantly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_special_relativity

You gain infinite mass as you accelerate to the speed of light.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080513114705AAqyeep

For a simpler answer

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By GunGunW

Awesome

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AssertingValor

@TheCrowbar: finally it unfroze again,

what my definitions are saying is Momentum is mass in motion

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheCrowbar

@LordMaverick said:

@TheCrowbar: finally it unfroze again,

what my definitions are saying is Momentum is mass in motion

ok so? How many sources do you need to show you that I'm not wrong? Momentum is mass in motion great. How does that prove my point wrong?

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By comicace3

Ummm I thought we were talking about comics but.... hmmmm... lets see .... Nah I'm too lazy to get technical unless it has to do with school but you have good calculations.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AssertingValor

@TheCrowbar: Mass grows only relative to its velocity growing (meaning it stays the same):

As the object approaches the speed of light, the relativistic mass grows infinitely, because the kinetic energy grows infinitely and this energy is associated with mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%3Dmc%5E2#Fast-moving_objects_and_systems_of_objects

E=MC^2

E=kinetic energy (Momentum)

Momentum is the product of the Mass * the growing Velocity

Therefore if the velocity increases, the Momentum, or product of the mass and velocity, also increases, not the relative mass.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheCrowbar

M is mass

C^2 is the speed of light squared

You can argue with me as much as you like, science disagrees with you. Until you show me a source that refutes what I've cited then I'm still right. It's infinite mass, and as a product of that infinite mass, you get infinite momentum.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AssertingValor

@TheCrowbar: Here it is again

I suggest you minor in physics, so your can fully understand what im saying

As the object approaches the speed of light, the relativistic mass grows infinitely, because the kinetic energy grows infinitely and this energy is associated with mass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%3Dmc%5E2#Fast-moving_objects_and_systems_of_objects

@TheCrowbar said:

M is mass

C^2 is the speed of light squared

You can argue with me as much as you like, science disagrees with you. Until you show me a source that refutes what I've cited then I'm still right. It's infinite kinetic Energy (Momentum) , and as a product of that energy, The Mass is relative, and in theory is "infinite as well".

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By evilvegeta74

Big Bang Theory, here at comic vine, gotta love it!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheCrowbar

@LordMaverick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_mass

Drop the attitude.

I suggest you read what is written as well. The mass in theory becomes infinite. I was still right, you're trying to make a correction that isn't unnecessary it makes you look like a giant tool.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AssertingValor

@TheCrowbar said:

@LordMaverick:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_mass

Drop the attitude.

I suggest you read what is written as well. The mass in theory becomes infinite. I was still right, you're trying to make a correction that isn't unnecessary it makes you look like a giant tool.

correct, and a tool is somebody that plagues the storm forums with negative comments all the time. I have not an attitude, just expanding your limited knowledge on the subject.

/thread

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jobbernos

cool.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Squalleon

@TheCrowbar said:

@LordMaverick:

Drop the attitude.

Says THE CROWBAR...............................sorry i just had to make that joke :-P

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AssertingValor

Easy there's no reason for that

boostergold321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By boostergold321

You can't reach infinity. It's a neverending number line. "Increasing infinitely" is not the same as actually "reaching infinity" because as we know, infinity is just a neverending number line.

Gamma ray burst travel at the speed of light but we know that, though they have tremendous power, a single gamma ray burst is not infinite in power.

Mass is synonymous with inertia or momentum, an object's resistance to movement in a state of excitement or rest which also the same as energy.

Things going at the speed of light or faster may have "uncountable mass" by our puny earthling standards, increased in inertia to a great degree, but not infinite. Saying things that go at the speed of light or faster have "infinite mass" is like saying any car going at 300mph is all-powerful. The energy of the universe is not limited to power of lightspeed, even if lightspeed is extremely fast and furiously mighty by human standards.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By PowerHerc

@NiKva said:

Superman has soft hands, which is why he didn't just blast a whole through the planet while moving it.

/comics

Lol.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fifthchild

@TheCrowbar said:

@LordMaverick:

"Einstein's theory of special relativity dictates that an object gains mass as it accelerates. The faster it goes, the more massive it becomes."

Please cite your source that says objects don't gain mass as it accelerates. I've cited mine.

That doesn't apply (neither does pretty much any of Special/General relativity) in a universe where you can actually go faster than light as you apparently can in the DCU.

At any rate:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By coolguyr99

I wonder if anyone will try to use this as a feat.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
    ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

Nerds! *Smacks Books Out Of Hands, Steals Lunch Money*

undeadtribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glitch_spawn:

Then you'll love this (from another thread):

I'm an old-time comic book reader, having started reading in the mid-70s until about the mid-90s and only recently returned. I see that not only has DC gone back to the completely out of touch with reality power levels of the pre-Crisis era, they've caused Marvel to do this too. My nephew showed me this sometime ago, Superman "bench pressing the Earth for 5 days" crap, and not only is it just beyond ridiculous even by comic book physics, it goes against everything we know of the source of Superman's powers.

Let's look at what "bench pressing the Earth for 5 days straight" actually means.

The mass of the Earth = 5.972e24 kg. Assuming one bench per second and a distance of 0.5 m for each press we get the following information:

5.972e24 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 0.5 m = 2.93e25 joules of energy per rep.

5 days * 24 hours/day * 60 min/hour * 60 sec/min * 1 sec/rep = 432,000 reps.

This yields 1.26e31 joules of energy needed for Superman to "bench press the Earth for 5 days".

Now Superman gets his powers from our sun - specifically our yellow sun. The amount of power received from the sun on Earth is approximately 1.37 kW/m^2. The average man has about 2 m^2 of surface area, half of which we'll assume faces the sun for absorbtion. For simplicity's sake we'll also assume all of this energy is absorbed by Superman (even though we're told it's the "yellow" part of the sun that gives him his powers - and the "red" takes them away).

So we get 1.26e31 J / 1.37 kW = 9.23e26 seconds that Superman must spend absorbing sunlight in order to have enough energy to, again, "bench press the Earth for 5 days".

9.23e26 seconds = 2.93e20 YEARS. That's 2.93 hundred billion billion years. Even if Superman "sun dipped" at some optimal absorption point with the power output of 1,000,000 times that of the surface of the Earth (at the surface of the sun the power output is only about 10-20 times that on Earth), it would still take more than a 20 billion times the age of the universe in order for him to get that much energy. Like I said, beyond ridiculous.

Look I understand this is just a comic book character, but stupid crap like this completely destroys the suspension of disbelief in stories. Superman at this power level is so far beyond someone like Wonder Woman or the Hulk (at least the old 70 ton calm Hulk) that seeing Spider-man's Aunt May knock out Aquaman is actually more realistic than anyone ever hurting Superman. Even the "holds back" his full strength explanation makes no sense. He'd need to control not just each individual muscle cell, but every molecular fibril to a precision of parts per billion and he'd still risk obliterating every person he ever hit. Is it really so important to people that their guy be the strongest there is, that you need feats like "punching through dimensions" to satisfy you?

ShaoKahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is the boss

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

calculating things going FTL plz stop lol

He moved a warworld when sundipped that's it

This calculation is so wrong

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.