Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

SOG's Best Superman Villains

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By SOG7dc

With all the recent fuss about Wraith, H'el and Batman (because he may as well be listed as one of Superman's greatest adversaries) I decided to make a list of the men and women I believe to be the best of Superman's villains based upon my visions for writing them myself.

1. Obviously Lex Luthor. When used correctly, which he seldom is, he's no merely one of the best villains but one of the best characters in all of comics.

2. Bizarro. A sentient being with the power of Superman, the mind of a backwards thinking gorilla and a heart of gold.

3. Metallo. If I got only one chance to pen one Superman story, Metallo would be the antagonist.

4. Mongul. He will always be a Superman enemy in my heart.

5. Parasite. He's just trying to fill a hole in himself.

6. Zod. Zod is always written poorly, in my opinion. He's always depicted as a brutish tyrant who has little more purpose than being a physical match for Superman. He has potential to be so much more.

7. The Elite. What better way to challenge an icon of consistency in morality than to confront him with a different way of thinking?

8. Doomsday. Doomsday can make for a great story. I know no one wants to hear that after Doomed but he can. The key is to depict him as what he is, an unstoppable physical force of chaos. That's it. Don't make him an intellectual or a virus or thoughtful just make him a ravaging beast and place him in the midst of a story. Don't make the story about him.

Well, that's it. I think these are the best of Superman's villains and I hope to write them as such one day.

P.s.- I was being flip about Batman.

Avatar image for theasteroidfromspace
    TheAsteroidFromSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Brainiac will always be my number 2.

^This

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys above said it already – where’s Brainiac on this list?

And what do you think should be done with Zod?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Squalleon

Good stuff. I personally wouldn't put them in this order but I like the addition of The Elite.
    I am surprised there is no Brainiac.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki:

I only listed characters that I myself have stories for. I've thought about Brainiac but I don't have a good story for him yet.

As for Zod I'd write him like a real person. Not necessarily a bad guy but a guy who will do anything to get his home and his people back. Think of how you would respond in Zd's shoes. You're a military general of the highest order not just of your nation, but of your planet. In an effort, from your perspective, to better the condition of life on your planet you attempt mutiny and are imprisoned just as your planet literally dies. You return through some miraculous means to find the son of both your greatest friend and enemy alive on a planet that makes kryptonians essentially gods. Not only are you physically one of the most powerful things in the entire universe but you're also now one of the smartest. All you can see is the possibility for krypton to make a return in the best way possible but the one person who could be your greatest ally will do whatever it takes to stop you. Zod is really a tragic character in my mind.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SOG7dc

@squalleon: @theasteroidfromspace: @papinacho:

I just don't have a story for him. That's the reason I left him off. I really need to learn more about the different versions of brainiac so I can imagine something for him.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@squalleon: @theasteroidfromspace: @papinacho:

I just don't have a story for him. That's the reason I left him off. I really need to learn more about the different versions of brainiac so I can imagine something for him.

Action Comics vol 1 from Morrison's run, Geoff Johns' Brainiac and I like his part on the first episode of Superman Tas.
    Those are the good stories I can think with Brainiac.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Night4345

Brainiac > Everyone else.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@sog7dc: I recommend you read Superman: Brainiac by Geoff Johns. It is one the best Brainiac story ever publish imo

Lex Luthor and Brainiac is top 2 Superman villain imo. My least fav Superman villain is Doomsday because I don't think Death of Superman in 1990's is good comics to read and I find Doomsday is just one note and without any depth character. I rather prefer Superman die in All Star Superman. It is great love tribute to Superman mythos

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Squalleon
    Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Another Superman villains you forgot to mention is Parasite and Atomic Skull. Also Mr. M from fifth dimension

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SOG7dc

@boynerdgeek:

I read that but I didn't really feel anything for Brainiac. I didn't connect with him.

That's the issue I have with Brainiac. I can't connect with him on any level.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I think I know the problem is. You don't need to read Brainiac as same voice as Lex Luthor. With Lex Luthor ofcos you feel connected with him but Brainiac you don't need to feel connected because Brainiac just want knowledge. I think you should give it a try and read it again

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkseid

Zod

Lex Luthor

Brainiac

Mongul

Doomsday

Bizarro

Metallo

Parasite

Mr. Myxzptlk

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

I can't stand Doomsday.

Beata

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: For Brainiac; might I recommend Panic in the Sky, Superman's Return to Krypton (doesn't feature him for very long but it is an interesting and tragic part in their history), and Marv Wolfman's run of Action Comics where Brainiac gets his badass android revamp.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.