So, Why is superman fighting Angels?

#1 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

The cover for Action Comics 14 tells me that the next few superman stories are probably gonna have some interdimensional stuff and with Morrison writing it, things might get a little more confusing than they already are.

#2 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84551 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks more like the Angels are racing towards Earth, possibly waging war on mankind. Doesnt look like Superman is fighting anything other then confusion lol

#4 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Two words: Linda Danvers :P

#5 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my best guess since I really can't speak for Grant Morrison or DC here, but let me first quote the solicit:

"Brainiac first warned of the Multitude, and now Superman comes face to face with them — on Mars!"

So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the angels on the cover are the "Multitude." To refresh your memory, the Multitude is the force that has a list of planets that it's going to destroy and Earth is on their list. That's why Brainiac was bottling Metropolis. He wanted to preserve Earth culture before the Multitude got there and destroyed everything. Captain Comet also referenced this problem in the last few issues. Comet was recruited by those weird aliens "the long hairs" to save the planets on the Multitudes list.

Now, why do they look like angels? In my attempt to answer this, allow me to quote The Bible. From Joel 3:14:

"Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision."

The "day of the lord" is, of course, Judgment Day where the Earth will be destroyed and God will sort the righteous from the wicked according to the Judeo-Christian belief system. The word "Multitude" is also used many times throughout the King James version of the Bible, so even if Morrison isn't referencing that exact passage, he's obviously playing around with Biblical allusions.

My best guess, considering all of this, is that Earth is actually in danger of Judgment Day. The Multitude is either a group of angels or an aggressive alien force mistaken for angels that travel the cosmos bringing planets to their end of days. It does look like Superman will have to fight angels after a fashion. That's no big deal, though, since he's done it before in JLA #6-7. Like I said, though, that's just my best guess.

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24676 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14: Or they could be disguised Thanagarians attempting to conquer Earth by pretending to be Angels

#7 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Or it could be that Morrison is reintroducing Zauriel and Pax Dei.

#8 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: @AtPhantom:

Sure and sure! Zauriel was meant to be Hawkman after all...

#9 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

It is punishment for the Morales drawing Superman with such horrible, Superboy-esque, proportions in the picture you posted (omniscience tipped them off that he was going to draw supes that way).

#10 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Jekylhyde14: Or they could be disguised Thanagarians attempting to conquer Earth by pretending to be Angels

Ooooooh, very outside the box. That's actually a really cool idea.

#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (14461 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks interesting and under Morrison's hands this would indeed be cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.