Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

So what do you make of Batman/Superman so far?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

just picked up issues 3 and 4 this week, ending the first story arc. I'm in two minds whether to carry on. Thought it was a clever, well written story and a bit different, very funny in places, but not really a whole lot of action and the art, whilst stunning is a bit of a "train crash" at times due to all the blank backgrounds...how have other people enjoyed it? As I cant afford too many titles each month I may drop this and go with Superman/Wonder Woman (loved issue 1) and Unchained.....on the other hand....!

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I love Greg Pak but I wasn't really a fan of this arc's art. Will keep picking this up

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

First arc was really good. I won't be reading the next one, though, since I hate Brett Booth's artwork.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Really good story and I was a big fan of the art so no complains from me I'm continuing on, curious to see how the whole horizontal format turns out with Brett Booth.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

It was a solid opening arc. The first two issues had their share of pitfalls particularly the first one but the last two were much better written and Pak gave proper respect to the core of these characters. I think @theacidskull who is versed in the ways of Greg Pak can give a much better testimony :P

@the_tree said:

First arc was really good. I won't be reading the next one, though, since I hate Brett Booth's artwork.

I never got the deal with people's problems with Booth's artwork. For me, and this may be unpopular, Jae Lee's artwork was the biggest weakness of the title. His facial expressions were jarring, his setpieces sketchily drawn and his style doesn't fit Superman and his world whatsoever. His Smallville scenes are difficult to look at in comparison to the more suited Gotham ones. The brighter scenes didn't match with Lee's style at all. I welcome Booth over Lee to be honest.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JonSmith

The only thing I've disliked about it is the art. It just doesn't suit Superman/Batman. Now a Dream/Sandman comic? Hell, Constantine, Demon Knights, and so on? Oh, I'd love this art in those. But Batman and Supes? It just doesn't really capture them to me.

Super_Phil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think its great and unlike a lot of other people I don't mind the art, however I don't think it is as good as Batman and Superman (Unchained) solo titles both of which are written by Scott Snyder.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story is good for now, dialogues well written, so I think that opening arc was successful.

There two things I don’t like very much. While I mainly read for the story and not for art, I still think that such title as Batman/Superman deserves better artist. But then I disliked art even in All-Star Superman, so it didn’t mean much. And second, it looks to me that Pak exaggerated personality traits differences between SM and BM of two Earths. SM and BM from E2 give impression of high and mighty, completely disregarding their younger counterparts, while Supes from Main Earth seems a way too hotheaded and rush – even in comparison with his portrayal in early AC.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jae Lee is totally the WRONG artist for this book. The story arc was great but the art killed it! I think Pak was too nice to say something . Lee should stay away from interior art. He is great for covers though.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:

I never got the deal with people's problems with Booth's artwork. For me, and this may be unpopular, Jae Lee's artwork was the biggest weakness of the title. His facial expressions were jarring, his setpieces sketchily drawn and his style doesn't fit Superman and his world whatsoever. His Smallville scenes are difficult to look at in comparison to the more suited Gotham ones. The brighter scenes didn't match with Lee's style at all. I welcome Booth over Lee to be honest.

Thank you! I was beginning to think i was the weird one. Lee's art was uninspired and lazy on this book. I don't like Booth's art though :-P

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Thank you! I was beginning to think i was the weird one. Lee's art was uninspired and lazy on this book. I don't like Booth's art though :-P

I hate Lee's art, always, and on this book in particular. Thank you both. I'm not that familiar with Booth's.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lvenger

@matteopg said:

@squalleon said:

@lvenger said:

I hate Lee's art, always, and on this book in particular. Thank you both. I'm not that familiar with Booth's.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who doesn't approve of Jae Lee's style on the title. It could work with a Batman solo book but not a Superman one. You need more powerful lines and drawing for that and Jae doesn't do that does he?

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MatteoPG

@lvenger said:

@matteopg said:

@squalleon said:

@lvenger said:

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who doesn't approve of Jae Lee's style on the title. It could work with a Batman solo book but not a Superman one. You need more powerful lines and drawing for that and Jae doesn't do that does he?

Yeah. I think it's very peculiar, suits only very few books. I actually don't like it in general, but that's just personal taste, I guess.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

A strong opening arc, but one that seems to have lost direction towards the end and just honestly finished in a relatively anticlimactic way. Still enjoyed the story, the interactions between Bruce and Clark, and the art worked brilliantly.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:No, he doesn't do that.I have seen previous works of his and he hasn't shown anything like that, his works are mostly in a dark motif.
    For the ones that will accuse us that we don't understand how beautiful his art is, i have to say that i have seen previous works of his that are leagues above what we saw in B/S. Fantastic Four 1234 being an unparalleled example.
    Also the guy has time issues he is like Jim Lee he needs time to complete his work, so that is a main reason why his work quality dropped.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I guess having the last name of Lee means you run behind with your deadlines? And I've seen much better work from Lee in Inhumans and Sentry than I have with B/S.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Agreed, he is a good artist though and with Booth sharing his duties i am sure his art will improve a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.