Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Snyder got an early copy of Superman 32 with the real cover

• 59 results
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Snyder praised Johns' and JRJR's Superman 32, when he replied to a fan on twitter.

Fan:@Ssnyder1835 Batman and Superman by @geoffjohns is out next week, pretty good week.

Snyder: Yes, and I got an early copy of SUPERMAN #32 - Clark fans, you're going to be very happy!

Σύνδεσμος ενσωματωμένης εικόνας

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For all I know (for now) it could be in-company advertisement. Hoping for the best, though.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I do love me some wraparounds.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet Romita has had that idea for a Superman cover for like 25 years haha

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By redwingx

Suit is horrible..

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Now I see why the Director's Edition of Superman #32 has that pencil cover. Even with the New 52 nanosuit, it does evoke a classic Superman pose which is always good. And Johns has written some of the best Superman stories around so if anyone can write a good New 52 Superman story, it's him. I just hope these predictions and wishes of mine are actually fulfilled and that Johns brings the writing quality to Superman that he did to Aquaman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Squalleon

For all I know (for now) it could be in-company advertisement. Hoping for the best, though.

Could be. But the reviewers who have read the book agree and give it positive reviews.

@redwingx said:

Suit is horrible..

Indeed, these lines just can't look good! And the collar is so un-supermanish.

@lvenger said:

Now I see why the Director's Edition of Superman #32 has that pencil cover. Even with the New 52 nanosuit, it does evoke a classic Superman pose which is always good. And Johns has written some of the best Superman stories around so if anyone can write a good New 52 Superman story, it's him. I just hope these predictions and wishes of mine are actually fulfilled and that Johns brings the writing quality to Superman that he did to Aquaman.

Johns is more focused now that he writes less titles and doesn't write for the Arrow and The Flash shows.
    He only has JL and Superman now. In many interviews Johns hinted in a neo-classical era for Superman. Which old, familiar elements will return like the Daily planet (which all the advance reviews I have read say that it plays a huge part and it is entertaining) but will be merged with new ideas like Ulysses and the other men of tomorrow. Pretty much every review I read said this book was a entertaining,rich and fresh beginning.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blackhawk000111

Dc is advertising this book rightly.They are really trying to make their mistakes correct I hope this book and teen titans relaunch will be good.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:

And what would Snyder do? Geoff and him work together, what was he going to say? that it sucks?

Look no trying to be a dick here but you guys should go in with a clean mind and not expecting too much.

Well, he could have just... not talked about it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And what would Snyder do? Geoff and him work together, what was he going to say? that it sucks?

Look no trying to be a dick here but you guys should go in with a clean mind and not expecting too much.

The advance reviews were all more than positive. And this is the first appearance of the cover for superman 32

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

That cover is looking great and I love the fact that JRJR's artwork is top notch as always and let's hope that this title gets to be what it should've been since the start of the New 52 - the best Superman book out there.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:

@smashbrawler said:

@theacidskull said:

Why not boost a title for a co-worker?

Geoff's work hasn't exactly been outstanding in the new 52.

That's not something that happens particularly often. Besides, regardless of the quality of his latest output Johns is still a superstar writer, it's not like he's trying to help the sales of an Ann Nocenti book or anything.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:

@smashbrawler said:

@theacidskull said:

Why not boost a title for a co-worker?

Geoff's work hasn't exactly been outstanding in the new 52.

That's not something that happens particularly often. Besides, regardless of the quality of his latest output Johns is still a superstar writer, it's not like he's trying to help the sales of an Ann Nocenti book or anything.

Well i agree his work in new 52 is not so great so far.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lvenger

Johns is more focused now that he writes less titles and doesn't write for the Arrow and The Flash shows.

He only has JL and Superman now. In many interviews Johns hinted in a neo-classical era for Superman. Which old, familiar elements will return like the Daily planet (which all the advance reviews I have read say that it plays a huge part and it is entertaining) but will be merged with new ideas like Ulysses and the other men of tomorrow. Pretty much every review I read said this book was a entertaining,rich and fresh beginning.

So can his slump in writing quality in recent months be attributed to his TV and movie related work? That makes sense I guess. And I knew Johns would actually bring back some of the classic Superman staples like Snyder did and integrate them well. Hopefully he can handle The Daily Planet's cast to make it an engaging story. Though I fear Ulysses may be too like Wraith at the end of the day.

It isn't as if this is a new and unfamiliar writer taking over a title. Johns' work on Superman is well known and well liked too. A lot of his Superman stories have had positive critical and fan reception and he gets Superman as a character at the end of the day. Plus advanced reviews are mostly good so there's something at least positive about all this. Granted, I can't predict if I'll like it nor if it'll be as good as his previous work but it's better than what came before it eh? :P

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: The solo book really need a good writer

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
    DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really looking forward to this. Johns is one of the best Superman writers.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: As are yours. It's not as if Johns is an infallible writer. He makes mistakes and when he messes up, he doesn't do it graciously.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Could be. But the reviewers who have read the book agree and give it positive reviews.

I read a couple of them and got “Lobdell is gone and in past Johns wrote some good Superman stories, so I’ll give this issue positive review because of nostalgia”-vibe. Anyway, don’t want to be a downer and in any case Johns bound to be better than his predecessors on this book.

@redwingx said:

Suit is horrible..

Suit is acceptable imo, but face… Face looks like it belongs to some villain, but not to Superman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Throne of Atlantis, Aquaman and GL fans crying about the dip in quality says Geoff is still a good writer to me.

GTFOH, Batman fans. We like Geoff here. Cant wait for some Pak+Johns crossovers. N52 Supes is about to gets mad sweet.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By SaintWildcard

Wish he'd show the same love for AC, that book needs the help

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

For a second I thought you meant Zack not Scott. .. sorta bummed :/

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@lvenger:

As critical as you normally are, I cannot believe you enjoy Johns Writing. I thought you would be on a crusade against it.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Starting to warm up to Romita's art

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a dope cover

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lvenger

@pperspectiveandreality said:

@lvenger:

As critical as you normally are, I cannot believe you enjoy Johns Writing. I thought you would be on a crusade against it.

I'm curious as to why you'd think I'd be wholly on a crusade against Johns' writing. For the record, I have criticised his New 52 Justice League run very scathingly and his Green Lantern run ended with a fizzle rather than a bang. But in terms of Superman, Johns has written some of his best stories. What about Johns' writing makes you think I should be on a critical crusade if you don't mind my asking?

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I find his writing on Superman to be mediocre at the very best. IMO it's contrived, boring and unimaginative. But I've never been a fan of Johns. Not since 2005 when he ruined my favorite aspect of the DCU with his (IMO of course) awful run on that series. I've only ever liked two things written by him. The first three issues of new 52 JLA and new 52 Shazam (but that's my first time reading Shazam)

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger Johns Green Lantern ended with a fizzle? Green Lantern 20 is probably one of the best issues from his entire run.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: Hmm not sure why you think his stuff is mostly contrived and unimaginative but I'm sure you have your reasons. When he's on the ball, he can do damn fine stuff. But your listing of his first 3 Justice League issues is far from his best stuff, I assure you. That first arc is one of his worst in contrast to his better stuff. His Shazam work is also a pretty good reimagining of the character and there's loads more. Still, TheAcidSkull is probably better at sharing your displeasure for Johns than I am :P

@dondave said:

@lvenger Johns Green Lantern ended with a fizzle? Green Lantern 20 is probably one of the best issues from his entire run.

Perhaps you may be right but I didn't wholly enjoy the leading up issues to GL 20. The mystery of The First Lantern wasn't entirely resolved, The Third Army arc was rendered pointless by The First Lantern obliterating them in the blink of an eye and, though this is an unfair criticism and not one of my own, Johns pompously declared himself the architect of all Green Lantern's futures. That mainly comes from the John Stewart fanboys who hated John's future being a politician when his history involves social activism and fighting plights for the common man. The same could be said for him setting the future in stone for other Lanterns though as with all comic book futures, it probably isn't set in stone. Still, I really enjoyed the Simon Baz arc more than The Wrath of The First Lantern. If only Baz had been developed more afterwards as he was an interesting character.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

No no no definitely not "Justice League". That was painful to read. But his first three issues of new 52 "Justice League of Amaerica" were good. I'm baffled as to how he got the CCO job.....I just figured a way to adequately explain how I feel about Geoff Johns to you. I feel about Geoff Johns the way you feel about MOS. LOL

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger The conclusion to the Third Army wasn't done by Johns. Being a politician doesn't mean he can't fight for the common man, not all politicians are bad. IIRC Johns already said the futures weren't set in stone but the futures he wanted for the characters. It's certainly better than Carol shacking up with Kyle.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: Oh JLA, you should have specified then :P Justice League and JLA are separated by an extra word so I should have guessed lol. Since you equate your dislike of Johns to my dislike of MOS, that must be some dislike you have for him as a writer. You sure it goes that far? :P

@dondave said:

@lvenger The conclusion to the Third Army wasn't done by Johns. Being a politician doesn't mean he can't fight for the common man, not all politicians are bad. IIRC Johns already said the futures weren't set in stone but the futures he wanted for the characters. It's certainly better than Carol shacking up with Kyle.

Well I did say that one wasn't my own criticism and you know how angsty and whiny the John Stewart fanboys can get. And I admit, the Kyle/Carol pairing doesn't sit well with me either but Jordan's writing is growing on me. New Guardians is the only GL book I'm willing to read atm given that it's the best written out of the bunch for me. And you know, maybe I am being a bit too harsh on GL 20. It was the culmination of his entire run and outside of his futures, I can't honestly think of much bad stuff about that issue. The art was damn fine if nothing else.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I'm sure. I really feel like he does more to harm DC (the company with the characters I enjoy the most) than he does to help.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:
    @dondave said:

Johns pompously declared himself the architect of all Green Lantern's futures. That mainly comes from the John Stewart fanboys who hated John's future being a politician when his history involves social activism and fighting plights for the common man. The same could be said for him setting the future in stone for other Lanterns though as with all comic book futures, it probably isn't set in stone. Still, I really enjoyed the Simon Baz arc more than The Wrath of The First Lantern. If only Baz had been developed more afterwards as he was an interesting character.

If I may interfere, I know what you are saying and why but you have to remember that Johns picked up a franchise that was so dead that the characters had fallen so far into obscurity that their previous adventures were forgotten. He made it one of the leading franchises of DC and while it pains me to say it, a franchise more successful than the Superman-franchise during GL's pick. A franchise that spawned two successful events that are considered some of the best of the 00s, that made Green Lantern DC's third more popular hero, whom DC tried to make a movie about(the movie being awful is another matter :-P), a franchise that was constantly putting out books with more than average sales. Johns didn't gave GL a new breath, he literally brought it back from the dead! Most current Gl fans started with Johns' run and they did want to see where he imagined the characters being in the future (which will never come anyway). So I belive he has the right to declare where he wants the characters to go(altough the book itself proclaims how ambiguous this future is).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: It wasn't one of my own nitpicks with Johns' awesome GL run but it seems to have been used by John Stewart fanboys and dissenters of Johns' run. Of course, reasoning like what you say here is the most logical explanation as to why Johns wrote those endings. Despite the critics, Johns' run is definitely one of the most seminal on Green Lantern to date and he's made it into one of DC's biggest staples. Thanks for pointing that out since it seems people forget that sometimes.

@lvenger:

I'm sure. I really feel like he does more to harm DC (the company with the characters I enjoy the most) than he does to help.

Outside of Superman, who else has he harmed more than helped in your opinion?

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I know I'm in the minority here but I hate what he did to the GL mythos, I have a special grudge against him for replacing birthright with secret origin, I also found his teen titans to be extremely basic and dull. I can't stand that DC had the chance to reboot the GL universe but couldn't because of Johns needing to finish his stupid story. Honestly Johns' entire tenure on GL is no more than a DBZ plot line. "Oh no! Strong enemy!" "Worry not citizen! Because Hal. Jordan is awesome and cool and will always have just enough will power (which is an emotion now) to defeat any threat! No critical thinking or character development is necessary! And GL fans, remember how GLs used to patrol and police the universe? We'll screw that! Geoff Johns is just going to have different colored lanterns (so poetic, that) shoot each other over who gets what part of space and because they all hate each other!" It's like gangland violence on a galactic level. I hated it.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

and I'd also like to add, after reading your comments on Johns' GL, that I recognize it sold well and one of the most seminal runs, but honestly that doesn't make it quality. Michael Bay films sell well, Superman/Wonder Woman is selling generally well.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#41 frozen  Moderator

@lvenger: Johns always forces Hal on people and surpresses the better Lanterns.

In my opinion, Alan Scott is the most interesting Lantern, especially the New-52 version because there isn't a Lanterns corps, just the green.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: It wasn't one of my own nitpicks with Johns' awesome GL run but it seems to have been used by John Stewart fanboys and dissenters of Johns' run. Of course, reasoning like what you say here is the most logical explanation as to why Johns wrote those endings. Despite the critics, Johns' run is definitely one of the most seminal on Green Lantern to date and he's made it into one of DC's biggest staples. Thanks for pointing that out since it seems people forget that sometimes.

. @pperspectiveandreality said:

@lvenger:

Outside of Superman, who else has he harmed more than helped in your opinion?

No prob :-P I know it wasn't you but I felt that I had to say it for people to see. Johns is really one of the people every DC fan should be thanking. He was the master-planer for DC's greatest hits the last decade.
    He and Goyer, made JSA one of the consistently best team titles the industry produced at its time. He managed to unite the generations and give them a legacy feel in his Teen Titans run. He resurrected franchises like Green Lantern and rejuvenated the Superman franchise with his Up Up and Away and Last Son. He made characters like Booster Gold and Aquaman, fan-favorites. In all his events he never neglected the wider DCU.

As for his misteps, yes when they are bad they are bad but some of them aren't even his fault. Flashpoint was meant as an arc on Johns' Flash, then Didio came along and had him make it an event without the proper time to explore the concept, same with Forever Evil!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: What I meant by seminal was more than just sales. Johns restored the status, credibility and importance of Green Lantern in the general DCU and turned it into DC's Cosmic staple of its titles. That's a pretty impressive achievement even without events like The Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I get that. I do. But that's a sad truth given the quality of his writing. I'd rant but I'll give you this link

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2012/09/speaking-power-to-stupid-the-ever-dumb-green-lantern-comics-of-geoff-johns/

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: Already read the article. He makes some fair points but is far too quick in undermining Johns when he makes a slip and some of the criticisms are non existent IMO.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I get that. I do. But that's a sad truth given the quality of his writing. I'd rant but I'll give you this link

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2012/09/speaking-power-to-stupid-the-ever-dumb-green-lantern-comics-of-geoff-johns/

Lol. I have read that article before. Although it has some good points most of his arguments are easily taken apart. And since this is the second time I saw it this week I may even, deconstruct it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality said:

@lvenger:

Lol. I have read that article before. Although it has some good points most of his arguments are easily taken apart. And since this is the second time I saw it this week I may even, deconstruct it.

That'd be an interesting blog to read actually. I need to find a good topic to write on myself, haven't blogged in a while.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: @lvenger:

I agree with the vast majority of things he said. I really can't see the appeal of. Johns GL.

I'd also be interested in reading your blog squalleon

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: @lvenger:

I agree with the vast majority of things he said. I really can't see the appeal of. Johns GL.

I'd also be interested in reading your blog squalleon

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@pperspectiveandreality: Already read the article. He makes some fair points but is far too quick in undermining Johns when he makes a slip and some of the criticisms are non existent IMO.

Isn't that our obligation as readers? It's our responsibility to call out bad writing with criticism so that writers understand they can't just shovel crap at us. I'm reminded of a J Jonah Jameson quote from ultimate Spiderman:

"...people say-- they want 'well-rounded' but they don't. You ask someone: 'Do you want the facts? do you want the truth? they say: 'Oh of course--I demand it!' but they don't."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.