'Smallville' Season 11 is Coming to Comic Books

• 104 results
Posted by G-Man (34334 posts) - - Show Bio
SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 #1 by Cat Staggs

Smallville managed to last for ten seasons on television. Even as the show's end was announced, there was still some rumblings about the show possibly continuing past the tenth season. Other rumors suggested the possibility that a new show, called Metropolis, could happen with the actors and pick up where Season 10 left off.

Where the show did leave off was with Clark finally, after ten seasons, putting on the costume and performing heroic deeds as Superman. From the show's beginnings, with Clark in high school, his powers were developing and he did use them to save lives. In the later seasons we saw members of the Justice League and Clark even became a hero known as the "Red and Blue Blur."

Late last night, DC announced that a Season 11 is coming...to comic books. The immediate thought is what will it be like? Often comics based on television shows or movies have a watered-down feel. Luckily that won't be happening here. The series will be written by former Smallville scribe Bryan Q. Miller.

SMALLVILLE will debut as a digital first series on April 13, 2012, with new chapters released weekly. They will later see print with the first issue on sale on May 16. Characters such as Oliver Queen, Chloe Sullivan-Queen, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor and General Lane will show up. Gary Frank will be a printed cover artist and Cat Staggs will be the digital cover artist with Pere Perez providing the interiors.

Bryan Q. Miller issued the following statement:

Six months after Clark Kent donned the cape and took to the skies to save Earth from Apokolips… enter Season 11! New allies abound! New enemies afoot! And old friends return where they’re least expected! Pere and colorist Chris Beckett have done a fantastic job of capturing the look of the show and the players, and Gary and Cat are knocking it out of the park on covers. I couldn’t be more excited to help give seasoned viewers and new readers an all-access pass to Clark’s first year in the cape.

The idea of adapting a series that ended has worked well with BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER (currently in it's second "season" after the show's end). Will you get the digital chapters or wait until the printed form?

Staff
#1 Posted by Arevish (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Like buffy.

#2 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited about this, but I am wondering what's going on with his costume...no red underwear?

#3 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, I didn't know Bryan Q Miller wrote for Smallville.... I LOVED his Batgirl with Stephanie Brown, I might have to actually give the show a chance.

#4 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I am actually interested, Especially with this and the new Green Arrow series coming to CW

#5 Posted by StarKiller809 (1238 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't seem a single episode of Smallvile, but this makes me want to watch it to get that.

#6 Edited by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe the "billionaire with high-tech toys" and that "wonderous woman" will show up in this

#7 Posted by NightFang (10068 posts) - - Show Bio

@Arevish said:

Like buffy.

Yep.

#8 Edited by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Bryan Q Miller and Pere Pérez working together again! On a digital weekly book! Damn DC this is the first thing good thing you've announced in a about a year. It might be a Superman book based on a show I never watched, but god damn it I NEED some more of Bryan's oh so loveable writing.

#9 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

Good news even though I am not really surprised to hear that.

#10 Posted by humanfly26 (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

man... now I actually have to watch the last 5 seasons!

#11 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

whoa, now THIS is some killer news. Smart move by DC on this one :)

#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty interesting, no budget holding it down. Hopefully we get better stories, better action and less drama.

I'm gonna wait for the print versions, not a fan of digital comics.

#13 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyhows, I was wondering if Perez will be able to draw them to look like their TV counterparts.

#14 Posted by AlfoLantern (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally we'll see Superman on Smalville... Biggest news for me.

#15 Posted by cjc1303 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

So awesome this is cool maybe it will actually be better than the Superman comic of the New 52

#16 Posted by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@humanfly26: that's when the show got really good, why'd you stop?

#17 Posted by kennybaese (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

Smallville had issues, but I still liked the show quite a bit and how willing they were to go in their own direction with the mythology. Continuing with that without the limitations of a television special effects budget they can go even crazier with it. I'm in.

#18 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I The only one who is really happy about this! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

#19 Posted by wowylied (238 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this is not in order to force thing coming from smallville serie into the new 52. It was bad to have this in action comics 06, there are no better way to make superman and action title more disgusting.

#20 Posted by Billy Batson (58029 posts) - - Show Bio

Milk that cow.
BB

#21 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9729 posts) - - Show Bio
@GothamRed said:

maybe the "billionaire with high-tech toys" and that "wonderous woman" will show up in this

Yeah, hopefully lol 

So is this only a limited/ one season series? Or will it continue with season 12 and so on?
#22 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@cjc1303 said:

So awesome this is cool maybe it will actually be better than the Superman comic of the New 52

It MIGHT actually give it a run for it's money.

Action Comics, not a chance. Here's hoping that the new creative team kicks it up several notches.

#23 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks intriguing but I will wait for it to come out on print format, maybe as a trade or something. Loved Smallville but this incarnation of the Man of Steel is my least favorite.

#24 Posted by Kairan1979 (16751 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Migz13 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow... can't believe they're gonna do this...

but then again... I am kinda intrigued. I wonder if some of DC's biggest names like Bats, GL, The Flash and Wonderwoman would make appearances in this particular DC universe.

#26 Posted by SneakyBawls (23 posts) - - Show Bio

That's great, cuz I was just sitting here yesterday thinking we needed another Superman title.......(sarcasm)

#27 Posted by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04: Superman doesn't have the red underwear in his new titles as well in Justice League. Even Batman lost his black underwear as well as Green Lantern bikini line on his outfit. The costumes are more modern now and look more masculine and battle ready.

#28 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

@GothamRed said:

Aw man i dint even think of that!!! Exitement growing!!

#29 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta be SO AWESOME

#30 Posted by cold_fuzion (167 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this. It gives them an opportunity to do things they couldn't with the show due to all the weird license wrangling and the got-old-fast "no tights, no flights" edict. I can definitely see myself liking this more than the current Superman book.

#31 Posted by billhobbs (1 posts) - - Show Bio

At least I recognize this Clark Kent/Superman. The one currently in the comics is soulless and void of what made the character interesting. It does appear from the picture that the red underroos are gone again. Why couldn't they just left him with the classic look. He's a comic book character for heaven's sake. When done well the costume looks fine in any medium.

#32 Posted by The Impersonator (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

@Arevish said:

Like buffy.

Yep.

#33 Posted by Lvenger (20016 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Milk that cow.
BB

Ha lol. At least the milk is still relatively fresh. This is actually a good idea IMO as it would be a chance to attract Smallville fans who might not read comic books as well as telling the story of what we wanted to see happen in Smallville for 10 years.

#34 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

No interest but cool for fans of the show I guess.

#35 Posted by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

Smallville really tailed off in the last season I was disappointed. Season 10 however with Calum Best as Zod, was absolutely excellent. Can't say much for Doomsday in the season prior either.

#36 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet. Since I loved the show, maybe I'll enjoy this more than the current Superman comic.

#37 Posted by Jarred706 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

So...is this DC's Ultimate universe now? I mean, alot of familiar faces with not a lot of similar stories. I mean my only hope would be that they did away with the magical mind-wipe that happened to Lex in the finale...

#38 Posted by JimmyOlsen1 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for that! I loved every season of the series (ok, season 4 wasn't that good but Lois Lane was introduced!) and I hope Season 11 will be also great. Can't wait to see Chloe and the other characters again. Maybe we'll see a little bit more of Bart Allen and the other Justice League-members. Maybe the Suicide Squad returns and the fate of Amanda Waller and Stuart Campbell will be revealed.

#39 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm. I'm definitely interested.

#40 Posted by Green_Tea_Light (67 posts) - - Show Bio

YES MATE!!!!! ...that is all.

#41 Posted by VioletPhoenix (300 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to like closure..

#42 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

I called this.

#43 Posted by y2curl (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem: You mean Callum Blue? Calum Best is the "celebrity" son of George Best.

#44 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

i want bats 

#45 Posted by jdlemire (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmm... Don't know if I'll be putting this on the pull list. I think I will stick with Superman and Action Comics..

#46 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, first I havent finished Smallvile. Still a few episodes and a season to get to the end. But I donno, I like to have closure, as someone said, but on the other hand, Id love to see more stuff even after its over. If its good, Ill probably read it, otherwise I wont. Dont wanna ruin Smallville.

PS: atleast this means we get Chloe on comics again!!!

#47 Posted by Omega-Man (762 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this will blow. Didn't really like Smallville but despite that it was popular this won't go anywhere I don't think many fans will pick this up. But really do we need this book? I mean theres Superman Earth one and it's sequel coming this year. Not to mention the current one in the new 52.

#48 Posted by Trodorne (2590 posts) - - Show Bio

@wowylied said:

I hope this is not in order to force thing coming from smallville serie into the new 52. It was bad to have this in action comics 06, there are no better way to make superman and action title more disgusting.

though I think Action comics has been great right now in my own opinion. I do hope that they are not putting this in the same continuity as the 52. it would be a bad move and just cause more confusion for overly sensitive people who have ahard time picking up a comic in the first place.

#49 Posted by JimmyOlsen1 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

PS: atleast this means we get Chloe on comics again!!!

HELL YEAH! I really miss her!

@Omega-Man said:

But really do we need this book?

I guess the comicbook AND Smallville Fans need this book. I would love to know what happend to all the characters. There are still so many questions left.

#50 Posted by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

@y2curl: Holy moley, I can't believe I made that mistake. Celebrity used rather loosely, living off his father's rightful fame lol. I am truly sorry for even bringing up such a name. Shame on me. Callum Blue was indeed excellent as Zod. I'll stop talking now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.