Shouldn't Krypto be faster than Superman?

#1 Posted by joshmightbe (25030 posts) - - Show Bio

I get why Superman is stronger because proportionally that makes sense but given that on Krypton the people and dogs are physically very similar to those of Earth so considering on average dogs are quite a bit faster than the average human is capable of so one would assume it'd be pretty much the same on Krypton so technically Krypto should be faster than Superman, at least in ground speed.

#2 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Indeed that makes sense and this is why Krypto shouldn't exist. Superman needs a dog like Batman needs a Robin (wonder why no one gets on Batman for child endangerment issues). What pet / sidekick does Wonder Woman get?

I'm sorry, I know that I'm baggin' on the dog here it's just that I really want DC to limit the Kryptonian line of characters to just Superman, Supergirl and Superboy. This isn't the right thread for this rant but I hate the concept of Krypto or any super pets.

#3 Posted by Funcake (298 posts) - - Show Bio

(normal) Dogs are not aware about their capabilities (beeing stronger than a human etc.). In other words animals can not controll their abilities in the same way like a human can. Maybe this logic is transferable to the Kryptonians to.

#4 Posted by I Am Legend (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Well to be fair, it's not that really noticeable a difference when you take an average dog and one of the fastest humans.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (13201 posts) - - Show Bio

By all means Krypto should be able to kill Superman In the same way a Rotweiler could kill a normal human being, Making Krypto truly > Superman

#6 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

An argument can be made that Superman has absorbed more yellow sunlight throughout his lifetime and is therefore faster.

#7 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

Well actually...

#8 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

that doesn't seem to be how Kryptonian powers work in the DC Universe. And I don't see how it would have any bearing on flight.

We know bodymass isn't an indicator of Kryptonian abilities.

#9 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

Well actually...

That is one of the coolest comic scans I have ever seen.

Anyway, I never really thought about it, but I guess its true, in theory. Hmm, now I kinda want to see Krypto fight Darkside.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (25030 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN: This isn't about any power other than speed, and I'm only referring to ground speed. So this instance physiology would have quite a bit of importance. I'm not saying he should be drastically faster just as much faster than an average earth dog is than an average human. This is based on the assumption that Superman would be considered an average Kryptonian

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep. I mean, they could use the excuse that Clark's been on Earth longer, so more solar radiation equals more speed, but yep.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (25030 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not trying to disparage Superman, or give reason to eliminate Krypto, he's the only Super pet other than Lockheed and Lockjaw that I like. Just saying that if Superman is an average example of kryptonian physiology and Krypto is an average Kryptonian dog he should technically be proportionately faster.

#13 Posted by Squalleon (4744 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I'm not trying to disparage Superman, or give reason to eliminate Krypto, he's the only Super pet other than Lockheed and Lockjaw that I like. Just saying that if Superman is an average example of kryptonian physiology and Krypto is an average Kryptonian dog he should technically be proportionately faster.

Well,when it comes to running i see your point!

But flying is a different ability which is better to the subject with more solar energy and we dont know if superman or krypto absorb more energy!

#14 Edited by Wolfrazer (7478 posts) - - Show Bio

Krypto has been noted to be faster then Superman just as a regular dog is to a regular man. Or at least thats what was stated before, in the New 52 who knows if that is the case though he should be faster by all accounts.

To Oblivion really? You know that at first it was just Superman and Krypto right? Krypto was the first in the Superman family, so really it should just be Superman and Krypto.

#15 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

>.>.. a flying dog

#16 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup.

#17 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Best. Thread. Ever.

#18 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My belief is Krypto should be faster than Superman. I also believe Comet the super horse is faster than Superman and Comet's organs will also be in much better shape.

#19 Posted by GunGunW (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

Dogs aren't necessarily stronger than humans in response to that person up there. Clark is basically the equivalent to a very strong man, and a very strong man would be stronger than any dog.

#20 Posted by joshmightbe (25030 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: Comet isn't Kryptonian

#21 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My speculation is that Beppo the super monkey is more agile than Superman but I am certain Superman is faster than Super Turtle.

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (25030 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: don't care about any other Super pet this is about Krypto (The only one that isn't completely retarded)

#23 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about flight-speed, but as far as running speed goes Krypto should be faster than Superman.

#24 Posted by comicace3 (6385 posts) - - Show Bio

My mind has just been blown.

#25 Posted by Crissdragon (61 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest I never really liked making kryptorian's lifestyle to similar to humans.

I mean whats next,Supergirl's kryptorian cat?

You get where I am trying to come from,right?

I usually like Superman to be the only living kryptorian being on Earth, it makes it much better in character development and the only thing left of his legacy being memories about the past.

#26 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

Faster at running probably as dogs are typically faster runners but nothing suggest that Krpyto should be a faster flier.

#27 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion said:

Indeed that makes sense and this is why Krypto shouldn't exist. Superman needs a dog like Batman needs a Robin (wonder why no one gets on Batman for child endangerment issues). What pet / sidekick does Wonder Woman get?

I'm sorry, I know that I'm baggin' on the dog here it's just that I really want DC to limit the Kryptonian line of characters to just Superman, Supergirl and Superboy. This isn't the right thread for this rant but I hate the concept of Krypto or any super pets.

Hey Aquaman even gets his own dog, and Batman Beyond gets one too, but I think Batman just bought Damien one as well (and Alfred had a cow for an issue), so I see no reason Diana shouldn't get one =P, Wonder Dog XD, or maybe the Wonder Twins...nah they can have a cat ... Srsly: W.W. has her very own Pet Superman aka boy-toy...just sayin

#28 Posted by Deranged Midget (17855 posts) - - Show Bio

You could also jump onto the fact that as a dog, his smaller form doesn't allow him to soak in as much solar radiation as it would for Clark. But hey, comic book logic right?

#29 Edited by joshmightbe (25030 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is just about running speed, not strength or flight or any other power

#30 Posted by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

You could also jump onto the fact that as a dog, his smaller form doesn't allow him to soak in as much solar radiation as it would for Clark. But hey, comic book logic right?

Couldn't being smaller also mean you need to absorb less amount as well (like less mass to energize/nourish)?

#31 Posted by Deranged Midget (17855 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: That could also be true! But considering how the solar absorption works it's way in the DCU, I would've assumed it was the other way around, but again, I could be completely wrong!

#32 Posted by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: It's a good thought, just got me thinking, that's all ;)

#33 Posted by joshmightbe (25030 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: Smaller animals do tend to require less food than larger animals so this is actually a pretty good argument. Yes Krypto wouldn't absorb as much solar energy but he may not need to.

#34 Posted by Deranged Midget (17855 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: I appreciate that you shared it with me! :)

#35 Posted by joshmightbe (25030 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: On the other side of the argument tho is that dogs can't go as long without food as humans can due to having a faster metabolism so its possible that Superman would be much more energy efficient than Krypto

#36 Posted by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: @Deranged Midget:

:)

#37 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@drgnx: On the other side of the argument tho is that dogs can't go as long without food as humans can due to having a faster metabolism so its possible that Superman would be much more energy efficient than Krypto

It could be an issue if he metabolized sunlight faster than his body could store it, but other than that, If he is in the sun all the time, he would be fed. At night that could be an issue if he is active, but most versions of Superman seem to store enough that being out at night does not hurt him, so sure the dog could manage (and we have seen him fight at night before).

Edit: Metabolism could also just affect stamina too rather than output.

#38 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Superman will be faster than krypto if Superman uses his arms and legs for flying ? When Superman and Krypto are in a race, it is also possible that Krypto is cheating by spinning the tail ?

#39 Posted by danhimself (22695 posts) - - Show Bio

well in the recent Smallville comic he mentions that once he learned to fly that his running speed decreased...I don't know how that would apply here though

#40 Posted by joshmightbe (25030 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I don't think that matters here. This is just about Krypto's land speed compared to Superman's land speed

#41 Edited by marvel123 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

make sense to me, if krypto is faster than superman under red sunlight, then he should be faster than him in yellow sunlight as well

#42 Posted by zeejaybay (70 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

well in the recent Smallville comic he mentions that once he learned to fly that his running speed decreased...I don't know how that would apply here though

Kudos to someone trying to establish Supes powers. That has always had developmental potential in my opinion but it will never stick.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.