Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Should the blame for DOOM go to Didio?

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

He's the guy that's always pushing for newness and change regardless of if it's necessary (at least that's what I gather from what I've read online).

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I think we should blame Lobdell.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The amount of pissing and moaning over Doomsday when it was announced was off the charts. People were annoyed that it was gonna be the same ol st*t, they do something different and some people are like "WHAT THE F*CK!? THIS SUX!". Can't please everyone

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

No.
    The Doomed event didn't came because of the need for newness, it came to create a clean slate on the Superman family titles. Doomed is meant to resolve every unresolved concept from Lobdell's run, plus be the mandatory crossover of the semester on the Superman titles.
    And everyone agreed to do it, because there was a creators summit, the blame for it being a bad idea should go to the creators and editors of the Superman family.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The amount of pissing and moaning over Doomsday when it was announced was off the charts. People were annoyed that it was gonna be the same ol st*t, they do something different and some people are like "WHAT THE F*CK!? THIS SUX!". Can't please everyone

Well, the complains aren't because they want a DoS redux, but because Doomed is a redundant storyline, with stupid and convoluted plot, that offers nothing to the Superman line, instead it just drags down good titles like AC.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

@squalleon said:

@saint_wildcard said:

Well, the complains aren't because they want a DoS redux, but because Doomed is a redundant storyline, with stupid and convoluted plot, that offers nothing to the Superman line, instead it just drags down good titles like AC.

Okay.... but what I said was that before the story came out some people hated the idea of a redo and now some hate the story, my point still stand.

EDIT- Well it wasn't so much of a point, it was something I noticed, I also brought it up cus the OP wanted a re telling but others mocked the idea

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I read the the first one shot and hated it with a passion so hot the fire of hell itself seem like a cold wind. Then I read the next two chapters from Pak and Soule and I was onboard because of them. But I'm not reading the rest till the trade comes out.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@saint_wildcard said:

Okay.... but what I said was that before the story came out some people hated the idea of a redo and now some hate the story, my point still stand.

Yeah, but it isn't much of a point anyway. Hating a redux and hating a bad story is common sense. The one doesn't negate the other.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Added this

EDIT- Well it wasn't so much of a point, it was something I noticed, I also brought it up cus the OP wanted a re telling but others mocked the idea

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I understand.

On another matter, I personally prefer Doomsday to be left alone. He is a one sided character meant to do one job, kill Superman, everything after that will never be as important.. And being a shallow character as he is, he can't be used in many things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything bad in DC can be blamed on him or Geoff Johns. I think the major problem with the event is that its not what people thought it was. I was advertised Superman fighting doomsday. What I got was a crappy fighting scene, some chlichéd "pushing the hero past his breaking point" stuff, and superman ripping doomsday in half for some reason, which was very anticlimactic. Let's not forget a few crappy wonder woman scenes in there too, which did nothing to help her seem like an equal or on the same level as Superman. Now this superdoom crap is probably the worst part. Very unoriginal and uninteresting.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably. Either him, Geoff Johns or Bob Harras.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

Now that I understand.

On another matter, I personally prefer Doomsday to be left alone. He is a one sided character meant to do one job, kill Superman, everything after that will never be as important.. And being a shallow character as he is, he can't be used in many things.

Yeah, sorry about the other response. I guess I was thrown off by your initial response and got defensive. But yeah, I saw on an other thread that PPR wanted a short retelling but on Facebook the rage and jokes about a re telling were plentiful.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UltimateSMfan

I blame all of DC's bad decisions on Didio :P but in all seriousness i don't think he's directly to blame this time.

Don't get the hate on Doom though,compared to everything that's come out of the super books in the new 52 before it (Leaving out Grant Morrison's action run of course) it's entertaining for what it is.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@ultimatesmfan: It may be the best Superman related event in the New 52 but considering what its competition in terms of Superman events such as H'El on Earth and Krypton Returns, I doubt there's much of a standard to adhere to. Especially in comparison to the Bat and Lantern family events in the New 52 so far.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I think the one to blame here is Lobdell.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By entropy_aegis

Him and Johns and Lobdell.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I can see why Lobdell, Doomed is try to undo his mess. Didio, I have no idea, I don't think he had anything to do with it either except if DC's policy for 1 crossover per semester is his mandate but I don't think so and lastly why Johns? His job doesn't have anything to do with events and this event was planed before JRJR even thinks of working at DC. So why Johns? I think the guy takes TOO much hate for no reason.
    His job isn't to interfere with the comics, his job is to make the media look connected and close to the comics. So I don't really know why everyone likes to blaim him, especially since he is the only one that stand ups to Didio's newness.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No one, Doomsday just sucks as a villain. Not much anyone can do about it, but why is Geoff Johns being blamed?

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that's enjoying Doomed?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And the event might have been Soule's idea, I remember Pak saying how it was Soule's idea to do stages of Doomed.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Black_Arrow

I blame Soule, Lobdell, Pak and Didio.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

Ok, I can see why Lobdell, Doomed is try to undo his mess. Didio, I have no idea, I don't think he had anything to do with it either except if DC's policy for 1 crossover per semester is his mandate but I don't think so and lastly why Johns? His job doesn't have anything to do with events and this event was planed before JRJR even thinks of working at DC. So why Johns? I think the guy takes TOO much hate for no reason.

His job isn't to interfere with the comics, his job is to make the media look connected and close to the comics. So I don't really know why everyone likes to blaim him, especially since he is the only one that stand ups to Didio's newness.

I blame Johns cause he is the one responsible for the event mania that DC has been stuck in,this guy writes events that LEAD to other events.It's his success as a event writer that ticks me off the most moreso than his other flaws.

For the record Scott Snyder needed Johns permission to write the Joker in DOTF,if he has that much power over the Bat office,I can only imagine how much influence he exerts over other properties.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I blame Johns cause he is the one responsible for the event mania that DC has been stuck in,this guy writes events that LEAD to other events.It's his success as a event writer that ticks me off the most moreso than his other flaws.

For the record Scott Snyder needed Johns permission to write the Joker in DOTF,if he has that much power over the Bat office,I can only imagine how much influence he exerts over other properties.

But Didio was the one that forced the Flashpoint and Forever Evil. Johns never wanted them for events, only for story arcs in his own series:( He said that multiple times on interviews.

Do you mean this: I called up [writers] Geoff Johns and Jeff Lemire and asked them, "Should I wait and do Joker later?"
    That is Snyder asking for advice not permission :P

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Squalleon

I blame Obama!

Says the ignorant european :P

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: He has a bias against Geoff, Geoff is the reason for the polar ice caps are melting to him.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: He has a bias against Geoff, Geoff is the reason for the polar ice caps melting to him.

Well, everyone has someone they don't like. But I guess I don't like when other people are blaimed for other people's mistakes.
    When it comes to Batman's characterazation or the JL: origin, I never excuse Johns. When someone has done something wrong, then they deserve the critic but its a shame to blame Johns for things he doesn't have anything to do with :P

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: We've already been told that Doomed had creative influence from Shoule, I think the event was Lobdell's idea since he was the head writer when it began, but I don't recall a Didio or Johns role being mentioned.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: We've already been told that Doomed had creative influence from Shoule, I think the event was Lobdell's idea since he was the head writer when it began, but I don't recall a Didio or Johns role being mentioned.

Because they weren't :P

This event is clearly the swan song (ugh...) of Lobdell. Made just so every one of his plotlines can be resolved, for the new writers to have a clean slate to work with (and I don't only mean Johns).

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I really don't find the plot of Doomed redundant or convoluted at all. I think it is quite an original take on Doomsday, and is rather easy to follow. And it is somewhat entertaining. However, I agree with you that it is quite stupid. Superman should not have been able to rip Doomsday in half. And I'm not behind this whole infection thing. Then the latest chapter revealed that the real Doomsday was not the being, but a viral agent or something that infects a host into becoming Doomsday. This obviously isn't the pre-Flashpoint Doomsday. And I don't like it.

Also, I for one thought the few issues of Action that Pak wrote before Doomed weren't very good either. I don't get all the praise that story about the underground energy source and stuff gets. And the only issue of Batman/Superman that I've really enjoyed so far was the one by Lemire. The whole thing about the video game fighting Mongul really ticked me off.

But you know what? I want to know when the big smackdown brawl between the heroes of the DCU and Helspont is gonna come! Seriously! How long can they leave this on the backburner.

I agree that the hate for Johns sort of came out of nowhere. I don't see him having anything to do with this. And I generally don't like it when people hate on Johns because virtually anything he touches turns to gold. (Though I agree his Justice League is far, far below his regular standards.) However he is the chief creative officer now so he should have some say over things if he has a plan for where the DCU as a whole is going. But I think he has been very giving to the other writers. Honestly, I think people on the internet just like to start and hop on trends of hating certain writers and other creators. Unless someone here actually spends their days hiding under a desk at the offices of DC Comics, no one has any actual idea who is responsible for what. I think people just pick a name almost at random because it sounds good. And the trends change too. The whole time Tynion was on Red Hood and the Outlaws, everyone was praising him for how good his stories were. Then as soon as he left, he's somehow the guy who ruined the title. And people are now glad Lobdell is back.

On an unrelated note, I'm enjoying Red Daughter of Krypton, but I generally do like Bedard's writing. I loved his runs on GL: New Guardians and REBELS.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Squalleon

@kilowog52 said:

@squalleon: I really don't find the plot of Doomed redundant or convoluted at all. I think it is quite an original take on Doomsday, and is rather easy to follow. And it is somewhat entertaining.

And the only issue of Batman/Superman that I've really enjoyed so far was the one by Lemire.

But you know what? I want to know when the big smackdown brawl between the heroes of the DCU and Helspont is gonna come! Seriously! How long can they leave this on the backburner.

And people are now glad Lobdell is back.

On an unrelated note, I'm enjoying Red Daughter of Krypton, but I generally do like Bedard's writing. I loved his runs on GL: New Guardians and REBELS.

Well, Doomed is the epitome of convoluted, especially for an event comic. Events must be easy to follow, so new readers can jump and read them. Now what is Doomed? An event that follows plotlines from four titles, all them which are at least six months old. The new reader will not appreciate Doomed as a regular Superman reader would. So Doomed IS convoluted for event standards. As for the story, I hate it. It is redundant, stupid and its main villian is a one-sided brute who was created to do one job, kill Superman. And what does Doomed do? Takes that away! Doomsday isn't the villian who killed Superman anymore, it is the villian Superman ripped in half! Plus the last few years we are being spammed by "evil" Superman, thank you but I don't want one more, in no form, I want Superman acting Supermanish, not one locked on a sad internal monologue.

I bought that issue because it was the first Atom appearance...well, I didn't enjoy it at all and that says something considering it is Lemire doing the script, who has became a big name lately. The plot starts interesting but leaves much to be desired and ends up being just another villian of the week/slugfest.The dialogue was the cheesiest cheesy cheese, I have read the last year! The humor falls flat and the acronyms and the villians' names don't come as fun but as cheesy. I really wanted to like this comic, I love Atom so I truly wanted a good first appearance (as Atom). *sigh*

I think DC dropped that plotline like a bad habit. Considering it wasn't teased or followed for almost two years. I don't see it returning especially now that Lobdell is gone.

I never expected to read that sentence.

I have read his NG and it was ok. Didn't hate it, didn't loved it. Supergirl needs a better writer if DC wants to improve its sales.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: He has a bias against Geoff, Geoff is the reason for the polar ice caps are melting to him.

No more than your Batman bias,atleast I dont drag Geoff everywhere,you cant go 2 posts without writing something negative about Batman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The blame goes to Lobdell, Pak and Soule obviously. The idea behind this event is not so bad, it's the execution that as per usual doesn't cut the mustard.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Yeah! I hadn't thought about the fact that this storyline uses elements of plots from three different series. Superman/Wonder Woman from its beginning which wasn't too long ago, Action since the second issue of Pak's run since his first was a Zero Year tie-in, and who knows how much of Lobdell's run on Superman. And I agree with your dislike of how they used Doomsday. But what aspect of this story do you think is redundant?

As for the sentence you thought you'd never hear. I thought the same thing. Not because his writing is particularly awful, but because I feel people like to beat up on him as a trend because he wrote the New 52 Teen Titans. But the point I was illustrating was that these trends seem to change. There are threads on this very website where users are thanking God that Lobdell is back on RHatO because Tynion somehow "ruined the series" despite the fact that while Tynion was writing it, he was held in the highest regard. I personally really enjoyed Tynion's run. I certainly don't think Lobdell is in the same league as Johns or Lemire or other writers I really like, but most of his stuff isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

They'd better bring Helspsont back! But isn't that who they were saying was behind the thing when Superman fought Starfire?

As for your other two paragraphs, that just goes to show that different people have different preferences. One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. You often see someone say the love comic A but didn't care for comic B, and someone replies that comic A was awful and comic B was awesome.

Anyway, I noticed you have reached over four thousand post. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been on ComicVine?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Yeah! I hadn't thought about the fact that this storyline uses elements of plots from three different series. Superman/Wonder Woman from its beginning which wasn't too long ago, Action since the second issue of Pak's run since his first was a Zero Year tie-in, and who knows how much of Lobdell's run on Superman. And I agree with your dislike of how they used Doomsday. But what aspect of this story do you think is redundant?

I certainly don't think Lobdell is in the same league as Johns or Lemire or other writers I really like, but most of his stuff isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Anyway, I noticed you have reached over four thousand post. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been on ComicVine?

Plus some Batman/Superman sub-plots. Superman: enemy of the state, "evil" Superman which is the most overplayed concept from the last three years.

His Superman and Teen Titans were atrocious. And thats why I only judge these works.As a person I haven't read good things for him too.

I will close two years in two months :)

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been keeping up with the events happening in Doom but I would blame the writers. For once, I don't think this is Didios fault UNLESS this event is heavily influenced by the editors, which is common.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This makes me wonder how'd the next event will play out, considering most (if, not all) of the Superfamily titles have good writers atm.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am getting tired of doom story its too long

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: well said. I for one am enjoying the storyline... I like SuperDoomsday :)

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me Doom was refreshing.

Superman needed and still needs a jump start. And Doom gave him that.

When we see Kal-El talking to Doomsday, he isn't really talking to him but rather the primordial side of Superman. His animal side, unleashed with the help of Doomsday genes.

I've read in some forums people comparing the situation to that of Bruce Banner and the Hulk, and in some ways it's the same thing. Superman is no saint, and all his life he had to sacrifice so much, that now, all is coming up to the surface. If he was really talking with doomsday, there would be no talk whatsoever. Remember, doomsday was created from the genes of the deadliest creatures on Krypton, he was created to be mindless killing machine. He's intellect was that of raged animal. No more.

What this will bring to Superman in the future, I cannot say. Even more so because of "Future's End". When I look at both superman's the one now and the one 5 in FE they just don't look the same, don't act the same, and in my personal opinion, they're not the same.

When I first heard of Superman Doom I thought that the people at DC would do superman what he needed quite some time ago, a mental and physical upgrade.

To me the greatest flaw about superman is that he never searches to discover the full extent of his powers. We all know from other characters, H'el, Psycho Pirate, and now Doomsday, that he's far more powerful that he lets himself be, and worst of all, even he used all of his power that would still not be his full potential, has we've seen through H'el. H'el was the reflection of what superman can be, power wise.

To me Doom could have been a great chance to make the changes, but from what I've read so far, it seems that somehow he's gonna cure himself and will go back to normal.

Basicaly, Doom will be a trip that lead nowhere.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The only good thing to come out of Doomed is Steel's redesign.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ask myself that question with everything I read, seeing as how whatever I'm enjoying there seems to be a mass of people that hate it.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms said:

@kal_smahboi said:

I ask myself that question with everything I read, seeing as how whatever I'm enjoying there seems to be a mass of people that hate it.

That's the curse of the internet. The haters are always the loudest proportion of voices out there, regardless of the actual percentage they represent. Just enjoy what you enjoy. Don't let the net get you down :)

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SM Doomed #1, Action # 31 and SM/WW # 8 and even Lobdells rather meh SM #31 sold out. Blame Didio for comics that are selling? Some logic. There are some issues didn't need to be in the whole cross over but on the whole it's not terrible by any means. I assume it will hot up now with the annuals and next month when it ends.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms said:

@kal_smahboi said:

That's the curse of the internet. The haters are always the loudest proportion of voices out there, regardless of the actual percentage they represent. Just enjoy what you enjoy. Don't let the net get you down :)

The whiners are the ones who really do not reflect what people buying. Ignore them. Check the sales charts. Doomed is well enough.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I blame Batman.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By longbowhunter

I like the idea of Doomed, but I had no idea it was going to go on so long. Still it's the most interesting thing done with Doomsday in forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.