Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Should Superman go back to Earth Two?

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I was always a fan of the Earth-Two Kryptonian idea.

Earth-Two Kryptonians produce internal energies, thus causing them to naturally have superpowers even on Krypton which is of course very different from most other known Kryptonians. Earth-Two Kryptonians naturally produce and maintain these power levels regardless of being in a yellow or red sun. Originally the level of power that these Krytonians had in comparison to other dimensional Kryptonians were far lower than those of other dimensions such as the Silver Age Earth 1 Kryptonians. However some Earth-Two Kryptonians had advanced to higher levels, such as Superman and Power Girl, so a possibility being that perhaps yellow sunlight does in some capacity enhance their powers.

I mean they always want to Nerf Superman to a degree, but really? I think the idea of him SLOWLY, getting stronger over the years? Makes more sense for Nerfing, but still keeps him at fairly regular levels. Yeah, it eliminates ONE weakness of red sunlight, but since he can't just fly up the sun and get a mega boost in a few minutes anymore(Well he COULD, but it'd take a LOT longer than it normally would) it'd balance out.

I think one reason the Earth 2 physiology of Kryptonians was abandoned is to explain HOW they could have possibly died in a planetary explosion, Clark's tanked bigger things than that before... Worse for the wear in most cases, but still. No one seems to think of THIS reason. The explosion? Released the Kryptonite core of the planet. The MASSIVE amounts of Kryptonite was like one giant Kryptonite bomb, thus killing all life on the planet, except of course for Clark and Kara who were already on their way to Earth. Which also explains the abundance of Kryptonite since? An ENTIRE shattered core of a planet that was 4 times bigger than Earth.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Squalleon

Personally I like the sun explanation because it connects him with the earth.

His adopted world made him a giant, physically and mentally and he returns the favor as Superman. Plus it makes a great antithesis with Kryptonite his native world killing him.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I agree with Squalleon

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

No more Supermen and Batmen on Earth-2 please. We need more Justice Society of America like Wildcat or Starman.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Kryptonians of Earth-2 had powers on Krypton but were nowhere near powerful enough to survive a planetary explosion. I think they were MCU Captain America level or there about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04: Leap tall buildings, bullet proof, around 100 ton range.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@smart_dork_dude:

It would work. But if they went back to that explanation, they would have to remove not only the red sunlight weaknesses, but also kryptonite.

Think about it. If their powers were not linked to the type of sunlight and their bodies got their energy from another source (and another source would be required even if it was has fictional has the speed force) kryptonite weaknesses would make no sense, seeing that their bodies would have no real reason to absorb that kind of radiation.

Also, it would imply putting a limit to how far a kryptonian can grow in terms of power. Superman would no longer be able to sun dip, in fact sun dipping would kill any kryptonian. And being exposed to other more powerful types of stars would have little to no effect.

Has I said, it could work, but it would most likely limit Superman in one way or another.

Which of course wouldn't be much different from what DC already does. They're always cutting Superman "legs" in one way or another.

Maybe in a future reboot.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.