Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Should Superman be the leader of the JLA? His relevence?

kingsyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kingsyn

First off let me say that i don't want to start a big forum war or something, i just want people's (intelligent) opinions. This question(s) was something my mind was dwelling on.
    Secondly, no matter what you think when you read what i wrote below, i'm a MASSIVE Superman fan. He's my fav superhero.

The reason i wanted to ask this question is because i kind of believed that the best fighter (power level, skill, tactics, etc) should be in charge of a team of fighters, which is what the JLA mostly are. Superman is (i think) the strongest in terms of brute strength/speed and amount of abilities.
    But, If you look at someone like Wonder Woman, she has very near his strength/speed (some say equal), shes a more skilled fighter and knows more about battle tactics because of her amazonian training. So why is she not the leader instead, or even the figurehead for the JLA. As much as i adore Superman (and i really do), i can't even imagine how he could beat her in real fight, maybe only draw (only because of his invulnerability level).

I mean you could argue Superman has the ideals which represent the JLA, thats why he is the leader. But ideals do not win fights and WW is known to inspire people as well. You could even (very sadly say) whats the point of Superman at all, is he maybe obsolete?  Whats his relevence?
    Damn, this posting making me feel really depressed now!! :(

Cavalry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cavalry

I really think that the best leader should be someone that is both an effective leader but also someone that commands respect, someone that people can look up to.

That is superman.

he may not be the smartest.
    He may not be the best fighter.
    He may not be the most skilled.
    He is however, someone that you can look up to.

Its why whenever I put together some form of superhero team, i always make Cap America the leader.  For these same reasons.

Brute strength only gets you so far, but it wont hold together a team, and it wont win the hearts and minds.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By pixelized

Um no.

Let WW Lead.....
    mr.superior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mr.superior

Of course he's got great leadership skills. He's got a strong personality and is a trust worthy guy.

kingsyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kingsyn
    mr.superior said:
    "

Of course he's got great leadership skills. He's got a strong personality and is a trust worthy guy.

"
    Thats exactly my point you see, WW also has great leadership (amazon battle leadership) skills, and a strong personality. And i'm pretty sure that everybody in the JLA trusts her. So what i'm asking is, whats the point of Superman. Has he been made redundant, or is he not? (I kind of blame the bloody writers if he is, tossers!). Its kills me having to ask/write something like this because i'm such a big fan of supes, but i've been thinking about it alot. (I know, i'm a huge nerd!!)
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By speedlgt

no one outside of cap can rally the troops like superman. He can inspire a whole nation just like cap. Thats why hes the leader no matter whos the chairperson hes the leader. He reps hope and justice freedom. WW reps a warrior and batman reps fear any of those could lead and kinda do in turn but superman is the true leader and he should be.

digitwizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By digitwizard

supes should be the leader. he is the 1 who inspired an entire generation of new heroes. but y in hell is black canary the chairperson???

Avatar image for the_avenging_angel
    The Avenging Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Superman is the leader because, as almost everyone before me has said, he represents the best in all of us. He's the rallying force of the Justice League because he embodies everything that the JLA is about: morality, justice, courage, compassion, and the will to do all and anything (even lay down one's own life) for the sake of others. Yes, other heroes have ALL of these qualities too; but not to the capacity that Superman does. That's why the other JLA members view him as their leader; he represents the very best in all of them.

** Yes, I am a VERY big Superman fan as well ;) *

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hadrelius

Anytime Batman is on the team , he should lead, Nobody can match his intellect and strategic mind.

Avatar image for clarkjosephkent1938dc
    ClarkJosephKent1938DC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

speedlgt said:
    "no one outside of cap can rally the troops like superman. He can inspire a whole nation just like cap. Thats why hes the leader no matter whos the chairperson hes the leader. He reps hope and justice freedom. WW reps a warrior and batman reps fear any of those could lead and kinda do in turn but superman is the true leader and he should be."

And even Cap can't rally the troops as good as Superman.
    Avatar image for the_human_juggernaut
    the human Juggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Avenging Angel said:
    "Superman is the leader because, as almost everyone before me has said, he represents the best in all of us. He's the rallying force of the Justice League because he embodies everything that the JLA is about: morality, justice, courage, compassion, and the will to do all and anything (even lay down one's own life) for the sake of others. Yes, other heroes have ALL of these qualities too; but not to the capacity that Superman does. That's why the other JLA members view him as their leader; he represents the very best in all of them.

** Yes, I am a VERY big Superman fan as well ;) *"
    captain marvel should lead.  He represents everything superman represents and then some.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By King_Saturn
    I would rather see Black Adam or Lobo lead the JLA...

lol
    Push

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Push

Supes should be the Leader, and Bats the Tactical advisor/leader! Worlds Greatest :-)

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By speedlgt

A major thing to consider here is how smart superman is or rather should be......Its basic knowledge that the guy is or should be WAY smarter than hes shown and that's mainly because you have to make him somewhat human! but the reality is he should very near batman and Luthor intellect due to him being from and advanced race and advanced science. Also he should be able to process things far faster than batman and WW. Thus really he should be very near both of them in intellect and tactics. Given all that is the fact that both WW and Batman look up to him and would follow him in to hell! I see Batman kinda like Supermans Advisor but moreso there an unbeatable team, adding WW as Sargent just makes the trinity off the scale.  It will be intresting to see How Hal Jordan leads the new JLA as I view jordan as a GL leader but I dont know how hes gonna do as a JLA leader......I would feel better with a NIGHTWING in full command of the JLA.....a natural Leader

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Ms. Invisible
    kingsyn said:
    "First off let me say that i don't want to start a big forum war or something, i just want people's (intelligent) opinions. This question(s) was something my mind was dwelling on.
    Secondly, no matter what you think when you read what i wrote below, i'm a MASSIVE Superman fan. He's my fav superhero.

The reason i wanted to ask this question is because i kind of believed that the best fighter (power level, skill, tactics, etc) should be in charge of a team of fighters, which is what the JLA mostly are. Superman is (i think) the strongest in terms of brute strength/speed and amount of abilities.
    But, If you look at someone like Wonder Woman, she has very near his strength/speed (some say equal), shes a more skilled fighter and knows more about battle tactics because of her amazonian training. So why is she not the leader instead, or even the figurehead for the JLA. As much as i adore Superman (and i really do), i can't even imagine how he could beat her in real fight, maybe only draw (only because of his invulnerability level).

I mean you could argue Superman has the ideals which represent the JLA, thats why he is the leader. But ideals do not win fights and WW is known to inspire people as well. You could even (very sadly say) whats the point of Superman at all, is he maybe obsolete?  Whats his relevence?
    Damn, this posting making me feel really depressed now!! :("
    Forget about all that he stands for. He's only there because DC puts him there. He is DC's staple hero after all. Don't wanna ruin that image now, do we?
    jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jorgeareizaga
    Push said:
    "Supes should be the Leader, and Bats the Tactical advisor/leader! Worlds Greatest :-)"

I agree with her

Superman is the maximum incarnation of the alpha stud that have existed and will exist so he must rule
    jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jorgeareizaga
    SUPERMAN´S CROTCH MUST RULE THE JLA AND THE ENTIRE WORLD!!
    Shonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shonen

Hell no why must he be the leader because he's the most powerful in the group...LAME being strongest doesn't automatically mean you can lead.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Nighthunter

I'll be the first to say it, if Superman really excisted and was accepted like he is in the comics, everyone would follow him

like Little Barda said in Kingdom Come "I would follow that man to Apocalypse"

that being said why hasn't John lead? I mean he is the only founding member who never had the chance, that ain't fair

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The most popular hero leads the JL. That is how DC always does it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.