Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Should Clark and Lois get back together ?

• 128 results
    HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@smart_dork_dude said:

Alright, you have the right to your opinions. However saying that a major character like Batman is having continuity problems and that Green Lantern is MOSTLY in tact, says VOLUMES right there about how much of a failure the New 52 is. Look if they were doing a total reboot? I would be LESS insulted by all of what DC has done. I mean complete reboot. JSA being their first superhero team, all of their characters being done the way they were back in the Golden Age, 20 years later DC does a Silver Age again, and so on and so forth. Why would I like this? Well I wouldn't entirely, but at least it would be a REBOOT.

That's just personal preference though. Who is to say doing the JSA in the beginning is the correct way to reboot? You realize the Silver Age was a reboot in of itself? They scrapped the JSA and started over.

You see I've come to a realization. DC did not reboot their universe. They just killed it, then played mad scientist with it and made a Frankenstein Monster with various bits of their old universe and random/useless changes to sew it all together with Flash Point being the proverbial lightning bolt to bring it to life.

That's what they did after Crisis on Infinite Earths too, I'm just assuming you didn't read DC then either. This time around it's not nearly as much as a problem. You pretty much assume that it's a new universe where SOME history is BASED on old stories, but it's not an issue of continuity directly happening or not. You can pretty much pretend it is a reboot wholesale for all intents and purposes.

You aware of the trope: "Comically missing the point?"

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Eternal19

Yes he should get back with lois. his relationship with WW is stupid and felt forced from the beginning and also their is no chemistry. plus Superman isnt Batman It would feel out of character for him to be dating a bunch of women like some other posters suggested.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You...ARE aware that it can be argued VERY easily that they did go "Stupid" and that the guy we got ain't ol' big blue, right?

Id say Lobdells run features the best Superman weve seen in years. Writers were afraid of him, and he got so bogged down in the status quo, he just didnt have any interesting stories.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Soo many haters

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Yes, yes they should. ASAP.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By sinestro_GL

I posted on another thread a couple of days ago.

In the last issue of Superman before the reboot, ut was said that Lois and Clark would always end up together.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Why is hard he can thrust his hips indicative of how happy his marriage will be? Wow, I've given up on people.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Bigamy is the solution here

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Yes he should get back with lois. his relationship with WW is stupid and felt forced from the beginning and also their is no chemistry. plus Superman isnt Batman It would feel out of character for him to be dating a bunch of women like some other posters suggested.

Exactly

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is still a man, and a person. And now, theyve modernized him in almost every other way, he isnt the boy scout that he is often accused of being. He even makes biting comments to people, and tells world governments to screw off. I think the big distinction here should be how he and Bruce date. For Bruce, dating is part of his disguise, he is narcissistic, obsessive compulsive, schizophrenic, and truly can only love fighting crime, that is a very selfish, unhealthy relationship there. Clark on the other hand would be unlikely to "use" anyone, he'd be a good guy even through break ups and hard times, reliable and traditional in his dating habits.

Do you know anyone well into their twenties who hasnt had several major relationships? I sure as heck dont, I also dont know anyone who has spent over a decade pining away for one woman.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ngroove

Sooner Lois and Clark gets back together, or at the very least, ditch Wonder Woman back to her own magazine, or Justice League, as TEAMMATES, EQUALS, the same treatment as Batman or Flash, and as for douchebag Jonathan Carroll, quickly write him out, like a BAD DREAM, thus, even if slowly, restarting Lois and Clark again at earnest, ONLY then will I buy Superman / Action Comics again.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ngroove said:

Sooner Lois and Clark gets back together, or at the very least, ditch Wonder Woman back to her own magazine, or Justice League, as TEAMMATES, EQUALS, the same treatment as Batman or Flash, and as for douchebag Jonathan Carroll, quickly write him out, like a BAD DREAM, thus, even if slowly, restarting Lois and Clark again at earnest, ONLY then will I buy Superman / Action Comics again.

Now that's dedication :D

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19 said:

He is still a man, and a person. And now, theyve modernized him in almost every other way, he isnt the boy scout that he is often accused of being. He even makes biting comments to people, and tells world governments to screw off. I think the big distinction here should be how he and Bruce date. For Bruce, dating is part of his disguise, he is narcissistic, obsessive compulsive, schizophrenic, and truly can only love fighting crime, that is a very selfish, unhealthy relationship there. Clark on the other hand would be unlikely to "use" anyone, he'd be a good guy even through break ups and hard times, reliable and traditional in his dating habits.

Do you know anyone well into their twenties who hasnt had several major relationships? I sure as heck dont, I also dont know anyone who has spent over a decade pining away for one woman.

yes, I do know people who havent dated a lot. I kknow people who the first woman they ever dated ended up as their wife. The truth is Clark loves lois. If you truly love someone and she loves you back you'll chase her forever. Not every Woman that batman dates is to hide his identity, Batman is not narcissistic or schizophrenic, batman cares about people thats why he does what he does to prevent the tragedy that happened to him from ever happening to anyone else. If you truly understood batman you would know that.

The superman you are mentioning is The crappy Lobdell superman and Lobdell has the tendency to write nearly all the characters in that comic out of character. Lobdell's Superman isnt the real Superman and isnt the one that the fans grew up loving. Lobdells Superman is meant to appeal to the people who want a emo superman who has spiderman like problems. Thats not how superman is supposed to be.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: There are a lot of versions of Superman, it is impossible to say which one is the definitive Superman. The definitive Superman is the canon one at the time. As long as they keep his timeless ideals, they can make other changes to keep him relevant IMO. My favourite Superman is the Kingdom Come Superman, is he the definitive version? No not really. And the pre-52 Superman was becoming super two dimensional. The writers were afraid to do anything with him, people said he was OP, so he couldnt be shown being powerful, people said he should never be anything other than a boyscout, so he had no emotions. He hadnt had a really good story in a long time. To be a good character, he needs to be as dynamic as any real person. Golden Age Superman would get royally pissed off, he could even be malicious. Silver Age Superman was powerful and wasnt afraid to use his powers to regulate. Byrne era Superman was crappy. Then we had kind of a resurgence of good Superman stories that lasted over a decade, but those last few years before the reboot werent kind.

If Batman was a real person, he'd be a psychologists nightmare. He has so many mental health issues, its not even funny. And whenever he is in what is supposed to be a real relationship, I dont buy it. He and the Joker were made for eachother. If Bruce Wayne is the mask, as fanboys like to claim, then all thats left is Batman, and he is an anti-social monster, incapable of love. If you see something else, thats fine, and we all have different taste, but thats my take.

Id say Grant Morrison's Superman was the one with Peter Parker-like problems, which is why im glad he's gone. The end of his arc was great, but the beginning took forever and was all about Superman being a struggling, idealistic reporter (sound familiar?).

Clark only loves Lois because he is written that way, but Superman is a confident, intelligent, and attractive man, he doesnt need to pine away for any woman.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

explain:why superman cant with lois together:why he need wonder woman

No Caption Provided

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: I personally fell that Superman:Birthright is the definitive take, it brought The Superman that people loved and brought him into the modern age without changing the actual character. I personally dont like what Lobdell is doing with the character, because it feels like he writes everyone in that book out of character. For example I always believed that superman worked for the daily planet because it was the last honest newspaper in town, but then Lobdell shows up and says its the complete opposite and turns perry and lois(two people that clark look up to because they share his belief in honest truthful journalism) and takes a major crap on their characters. Then Superman is written like a jealous spying douche who gets mad because lois found someone who actually gives her attention(which is really out of character for superman) and then Lobdell pumps up Superman's already stupid forced relationship with Wonder Woman. Lobdell also makes Superman wonder why people dont trust him and then shows him forcing his way into lex luthors prison and then telling the military to back of. Superman fights evil by getting the good people to trust him not by acting like hes entitled to everything.

Also Superman is already just as powerful and is hinted at being even more powerful than his pre-new 52 self so, all the people who were complaining about him being more powerful pre- new 52 are still complaining that he's to powerful now. I personally disagree that he was becoming a two-dimensional character, it was just that DC kept putting crappy writers on his books. When they had good writers like Geoff Johns writing Action Comics(which wasnt all that long ago), No one complained that he was Two-dimensional because Johns writing was stellar. So, it all depends on the writer and the readers personal tastes.But, I believe that he wasnt two-dimensional and that the dropping sales were due to bad writers not the character itself.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: I think Johns is a horrible writer and a fanboy more than 90% of the time. If its not Green Lantern, he has no idea or interest in what he's doing. Justice League is bad.

People that didnt like that Superman was "too powerful" are people that shouldnt read Superman. His thing is that he is the most powerful hero there is, who is still humble, selfless and altruistic.

Superman going against the military/ government when they go against what is right is a common thread in the character. Theres an entire elseworlds issue where he forcibly disarms the entire world of their nuclear weapons. Just before the New 52 he renounced his US citizenship (a stupid story IMO, its just more writer fear of the character, in this case patriotism). Anyway though, there's never been a Superman who puts the government's will first, this Superman just happens to be more blunt about it. Thats a fun, depth adding change. Now he is humble and altruistic, but maybe a little brash. This is good, it makes hime more dynamic.

In Lobdells book, Perry is worn down from fighting the good fight, and actually admires Clark's youthful idealism, this is interesting and realistic IMO. Lois herself followed Clarks lead and went back to reporting to effect real change. Its interesting, it shows what sets Kal apart, it gives him something to do in his professional life other than follow Lois around like a lost puppy.

Spying is out of character, but you think he wouldnt be jealous? You believe he will only ever love Lois Lane, but you dont think he'd be jealous of her seeing other men? He is still "human".

In reality, nobody in the world would trust Superman, he is just too damn powerful. And we only know how Humans react to power, it corrupts them, we need to learn that Superman is somebody who rose above that weakness. In the New 52, people are also blaming him for all the threats that come to Metropolis, seemingly drawn to him, which is another reason he isnt trusted.

Once again, I think the Wonder Woman Superman pairing is the perfect pairing, but I do agree that right now it is being poorly written (mainly because nobody is writing about it, Azzarello openly undermines it).

Thats the opinion of a lapsed reader who once again looks forward to each new issue, thanks to Lobdell.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Tohoma

Just wondering why does Superman have to be with Louis or WW why can't he date someone else outside of comic traditions?

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma:Silver Age Superman did date other women beside Lois Lane. But after that they only focused on Lois..Don't know why.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma: silver age superman has a lot of "girlfriend"even SA supergirl./.......

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Eternal19

@deaditegonzo: I think every writer shows fanboyism at some point. But you cant deny that Action Comics was Awesome when Johns was writing it. He portrayed nearly every Character in that book with respect and didnt ignore their history.

I believe that Superman was already humble before the new 52. Nothing Lobdell has done has been really fresh or exciting.And i still think that he really doesnt know how to write a good superman book and the characters in it. You say that Lobdell modernized Superman, but Lobdell brought back THE corniest line in comic book history in issue 13 which destroys the point of superman standing up for humanity not america. I still find it very out of character for Perry, lois, and the other daily planet staff to bow down so easily. Clark already stood out before.

I find it really stupid that he would openly confront lois about something like. Pre-new 52 lois would get flirted on by other men all the time, but supes never got that butthurt about it. Superman is human because he stands above the normal things that bring us mortals down, not because he acts just like us and represents the best humanity has to offer. like batman said "Superman is the most human of us all".

Nobody in the world would trust Superman after he's saved thier butts hundreds of times. I dont buy it.

The problem with the Supes/WW pairing is that it was forced. There was no lead in to it, no hints that they might have been interested in eachother in earlier issues. DC just decided to randomly say that they love eachother in one issue. DC would have been better of pairing supes with someone who would actually fit within the context of the superman book like Lana Lang or something. i would have no problem with that. But Superman dating WW doesnt feel right at all. You say that the new 52 has made him more human, but then Superman ends up dating warrior goddesses I dont find that more human in any way.

Im personally hoping that Scott Snyder and Jim Lee can bring back what made Superman cool and stop all the stupid peter parker crap thats going on in the superman book

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#73  Edited By akbogert

@eternal19 said:

You say that the new 52 has made him more human, but then Superman ends up dating warrior goddesses I dont find that more human in any way.

^ laughed.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like wonder woman/superman,Final,superman not hold back on the bed

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman/lois:

No Caption Provided

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By deaditegonzo

@eternal19: Who wouldnt be attracted to somebody who could understand what theyre going through? Thats only natural as well. Diana and Clark are both people who want to be accepted by the people they love, but that are ostracized because of their might. I agree that that makes a weak reason for them to STAY TOGETHER (beyond any initial attraction) and agree that very little effort has been put into developing their romance, but that means the writers should have tried harder, put a focus on it, not just said, "Our lame publicity stunt isnt impressing anyone, scrap it." That kind of thinking leads to stupid, superficial story arcs whenever and wherever applied (think Superman Blue).

I dont necessarily think the New 52 made him more human, it made him more fallible. There is a big difference. Basically, a lot of lesser writers (to Lobdell IMO) in the Pre-52 focused on Superman being too invulnerable physically, when honestly what he needed was to be more vulnerable EMOTIONALLY. This is the same reason I am excited about Man of Steel, as Goyer has put a lot of focus on that aspect, according to his interviews. No, I 100% DO NOT want a cowardly or emo Superman, but him feeling vulnerable ties him even more into the legacy of great heroes, both mythological and historical. Whether it was Alexander the Great standing exposed before his men showing the numerous and various wounds he had received or Heracles crying over the death of his friend (whose death he accidentally caused, later wrestling Death for his friends soul), those are great stories. Superman can now be righteously angry, he can be jealous when a women he desires is moving on away from him, he can be anxious when facing somebody superior to him, this is great, IMO. Him walking the US in the Grounded arc seemed contrived and shallow, even condescending to the people he was supposedly trying to relate to. Him feeling angry like them, fearful like them, jealous like them, that grounds him for real.

I dont want to ask the most condescending internet question of all, so I wont. But I will say, at my age, I have humiliated myself with women I am attracted to, and grown and matured from the experience. From time to time, you feel multiple overwhelming emotions, and you do something that pushes people you care about away and make you look foolish. Superman shouldnt ALWAYS be above that when its a strong emotion. Lois moving on must really hurt, it makes sense that he'd do kind of a spiteful thing and call her out. Now, if we see him on later occasions looking back on past, foolish behaviour, GOOD. Thats called character development and it echoes with real life.

This all depends on if youre a pessimist or an optimist, I suppose. I believe, people fear what they dont understand, even when it is in their best interest. Now, because to me, Superman exists in a much more optimistic universe, and he himself is a beacon, he should eventually win the people over, but the writers can take time doing that, or making him into the sort of outspoken force for good that is irresistible to other good people. If we're telling new stories, I have no problem starting before Superman breaks down all the barriers, I in fact encourage it.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ngroove

I just want Wonder Woman OUT of Superman, not only because it's a shameless way of DC sayin' "If you love Superman, buy Wonder Woman too!" - Wonder Woman is NOT Lois Lane!

Probably the reasons why DC paired Supes with Wondy in the first place, is A) Wonder Woman's a Woman, and B) to TROLL "Clois" fans further, with a "Nyah, Nyah!", twistin' the knife against what was once their marriage, relationship.

I shall conclude this post; with I'd probably hate anyone DC tried to pair Clark with (Lucy Lane, Wonder Woman) who's not Lois Lane, vice versa (that douchebag Jonathan Carroll) anyways.

Allie_Ho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that in one of the issues of the New 52 Action Comics with the a part on Lois Lane outside of Clark's door, he gives a very detailed description of Lois in his thoughts but he thinks of the kiss with WW in a picture which is kind of awkward for me as a reader so I don't like the pairing.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there people need read man of steel,woman of

Kleenex

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: You know that article was just satire not serious?

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By consolemaster001

Kleenex

That reminds of a scene in earth one... i think you know what it is

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh for the love of god if I could post FACEPALMs from an ipad I would.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Perhaps I'm looking more into it then I am supposed to but I feel as if Johns and DC has a plan with Superman, Lois Lane and the DC Universe at large right now. Obviously, the majority of Superman writers largely prefer the idea of Lois and Clark back together over the current attempts of pitting Diana and Clark. I'm just going to sit back and let events unfold.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman said:

Kleenex

That reminds of a scene in earth one... i think you know what it is

eh?scan?

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: The thing about Supes and Lois is that we had like 15 years of that already. if you are going to have them together again(ugh), at least let it take its time and have Superman go out with other women. Hell, Silver Age Superman was a player!

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_: It took five years for them to date and 6 to get married in the post Crisis universe. How do you think it should be?

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_: superman and lois is that we had not only 15 years of that already,is almost 100 years.....

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This topic would have really made a nice Poll.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288: If that's true then we have 11 with Superman dating Lois and 15 with him being married to Lois. I know you like Superman with Lois, but I don't...so to each's own.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@lykopis: What about Lori or Maxima ? :O

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: What about Lori or Maxima ? :O

Aww --- well, in that case -- very true! I'd rather they keep Superman unattached in any committed way to anyone, frankly.

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Makes no sense to deny the fact that Clark is in love with Lois.

His "relationship" with Diana doomed to failure.Meeting with Diane, Clark all the time thinking and dreaming about Lois.And jealous Lois to her boyfriend.

Though they possess superhuman abilities, but they are totally different.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That depends on POV. I'm spending a lot of money on comics right now and I do need to save a bit. As long as Clark and Lois are not together I'll keep reading DC. But once they do get back together I won't bother (so at least I'll save money)

The Clark and Lois relationship represents everything that is wrong with comics, particularly DC

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Precisely she like and Superman appeared 75 years ago.Lois Lane know everything.Grandparents ' generation.Generation of parents.And our generation.

Many actresses dream to play the role of Lois Lane.It is a popular character in the comics, movies, cartoons, TV series.Lois first lady DC.

In Diana attracts attention only her appearance.Lois attracts not only by appearance, but also the mind and the most important thing HUMANITY.Clark believes "Lois is the most amazing woman he has ever met."

So that the communication Superman with Wonder Woman is a marketing ploy.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hell no.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.