Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

SDCC 2014 Geoff Johns, John Romita Jr, and Klaus Janson SUPERMAN Interview

homaire1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By homaire1
    Click To Unmute

Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?

Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
    This video has an invalid file format.
    00:00:00
    Sorry, but you can't access this content!
    Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
    Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

vids not loading.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dondave
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

For now, you can check out the YouTube version. Just hit full screen.

Loading Video...

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Cool interview. I might pick Superman up if it continues to be good.

Character driven stories ftw

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This made me so happy!! Really excited for what's to come!

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By kilomac29

I've never seen a Klaus Janson interview, he's great. Would love to see a one-on-one interview with him.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art is awful and the story has been lackluster IMO. I hope this isn't an extended stay on Superman.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

The art is awful and the story has been lackluster IMO. I hope this isn't an extended stay on Superman.

what really? I am not a fan of Suprman at all. Everything I read from him I found boring, but this is the first time I'm actually loving reading Superman.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality said:

what really? I am not a fan of Suprman at all. Everything I read from him I found boring, but this is the first time I'm actually loving reading Superman.

It's just a personal taste issue. My preference is unique to me and the same goes for everyone. I'm glad others are enjoying it. I'm more inclined to enjoy Pak's Action Comics than this.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Finally a creative team on a Superman run that I can really get behind. Since Unchained is only a limited series, I was worried about where Superman would go after Snyder's miniseries finished. Thankfully, Johns' return to The Man of Steel has restored and revitalised the Superman universe. And this interview has all the right things. From making the story more character driven to contrasting Superman and Clark Kent's identity to bringing back The Daily Planet supporting cast and introducing Ulysses to the title, this has felt like a classic yet fresh Superman title. Not since Grant Morrison's run has a writer at the current DC staff captured Superman and his universe so well.

Granted, the art could be better and Romita Jr isn't at his best but the story more than makes up for it. I'm glad Johns is on board and hope he stays for a long time.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AllStarSuperman
    Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Superguy1591

@madeinbangladesh: he no like Geoff Johns, but you should really check out Pak's Action Comics 25-29. Trust me, you'll love it.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Pak's Action Comics because it makes Superman more human and relatable, he has flaws and he's easily embarrassed. He make me think of myself, if I was superpowered, and how I would goof up a million times. I can't wait for Doom to end so that we can get back to Clark being the focus and not Doomsday.

I like Geoff's Superman because Geoff came at the story with a sense of intrigue imbedded in it to keep us captivated. Bringing back the Planet was also good, but he's gotta find a way to make them interesting. I like how he's writing Perry as Clark's Alfred, but Jimmy, Lois, Steve, Ron and the new black lady need to be used well.

Someone said to use the Daily Planet like the TV show Newsroom and I agree. The Daily Planet should be used to incorporate current events into the book, but they need to be used better.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By redwingx

Great run so far. I really hope they deliver.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I want that poster.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Two issues in and I'm definitely enjoying it!

JoshuaDBr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see fear in Geoff Johns' face every time they start talking about the mysterious character. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want anything given away. And by the excitement John Romita shows, this is going to be very good!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By dernman

The art hurts my eyes and not liking the whole Ulysses thing.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: wow, Ulysses is a genius character.

Guess you can't please everyone.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dernman

@superguy1591 said:

@dernman: wow, Ulysses is a genius character.

How so? We've seen barely anything of him. What we do know is it's just another character that parallels Superman's origin that he can bond with. It's been done before. Just off the top of my head Ultraa's original origin. IIRC Even the last Earther being sent to another planet spin has been done before in Superman's stories.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Superguy1591

@dernman: Though he draws parallels with Superman, his origin is unique in its own right.

Like the mythical Ulysses from the Odyssey, this man is a man lost in the darkness looking for his way home to a world he no longer is sure exists. Then you add into it that he's Superman like and you have a great character.

Plus, the way he's giving Clark someone to relate to and feel one with makes cool character to me.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Great interview, great book.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Though he draws parallels with Superman, his origin is unique in its own right.

Like the mythical Ulysses from the Odyssey, this man is a man lost in the darkness looking for his way home to a world he no longer is sure exists. Then you add into it that he's Superman like and you have a great character.

Plus, the way he's giving Clark someone to relate to and feel one with makes cool character to me.

There really isn't anything unique about it. Plus It's pretty common in Superman's history for him to come across a character that parallels his origin, and/or being Superman like so he can relate. It's up there in the list of Superman's retreads. The first thought that crossed my mind was "this again?" and that's from someone who's very forgiving of retreading. It's made even worse when they're currently doing a story with Wraith over in unchained.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: too hard to explain the intrigue of the book. We'll just chuck it up to differing tastes.

Jknox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It's still John so yeah, you will see some things blowing up"

So is John Romita now the Michael Bay of comics?

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love what these guys are doing on Superman! Keep up the great work John, Klaus, and Geoff!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@lvenger said:

Finally a creative team on a Superman run that I can really get behind. Since Unchained is only a limited series, I was worried about where Superman would go after Snyder's miniseries finished. Thankfully, Johns' return to The Man of Steel has restored and revitalised the Superman universe. And this interview has all the right things. From making the story more character driven to contrasting Superman and Clark Kent's identity to bringing back The Daily Planet supporting cast and introducing Ulysses to the title, this has felt like a classic yet fresh Superman title. Not since Grant Morrison's run has a writer at the current DC staff captured Superman and his universe so well.

Granted, the art could be better and Romita Jr isn't at his best but the story more than makes up for it. I'm glad Johns is on board and hope he stays for a long time.

Agreed on all points. I'm really liking Ulysses and I hope he doesn't break bad or die, I'd kinda like him to be a regular part of the Superman Family.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lvenger said:

Agreed on all points. I'm really liking Ulysses and I hope he doesn't break bad or die, I'd kinda like him to be a regular part of the Superman Family.

Johns has said he'll become a supporting cast member of the Superman title for some time as someone for Superman to connect to so that's hopeful news that Ulysses will be sticking around for a while. Which is a good thing in my book.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

So many news to catch up to.

Anyway it was an ok interview (that goes for every video featuring this team in SDCC not only this one) since they didn't reveal anything about the direction and the characters and they only repeated the same things they have already said.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.