Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Scott Lobdell takes over Action Comics!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Squalleon
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

From Diggle to more Lobdell...(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

BB

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

I just saw the news I think this is hilarious

DC not only alienated Diggle, it alienated possible writers for that book because who the hell will want to take over AC after what happen to Diggle.

Im not surprised with Lobdell taking over but i dont think he will stay for a long time, maybe just a 3 issues arc if not less while DC finds a suited replacement for Diggle, if they can find one.

One thing is certain though, Lodbell is one lucky SOB

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By z3ro180

Well this is good I think. Lobdells a good writer but I don't think he will stay on AC for long since he's doing Supermans solo title.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

What's the point ?

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

behold the BOLD NEW ERA IN SUPERMAN

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Eh, as much as I enjoy Lobdell's work, I would prefer a different writer.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He's already writing his other title...

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Great, as if we didn't get enough of Lobdell's cruddy work. Hopefully this is just temporary until DC can get a good writer on the book.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Lvenger

Damn it all this is not what I want to see happening in Superman. It's bad enough Lobdell gets one Superman title and now he's writing 2 of them? Fortunately I'm guessing this is just temporary whilst DC search for a new writer but given the way Diggle was treated that resulted in him leaving the title, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a tough time finding a replacement writer for Action Comics. Glad I'm making Superman Unchained my new Superman book.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

according to CBR, it's just a fill-in. i wouldnt get too excited.

even for a fill in Lodbell seems like a wrong choice

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^exactly I saw that "fill-in" bit too n thought I shldnt scream Noooo!! Anymore :P

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Suprman

@lvenger said:

Damn it all this is not what I want to see happening in Superman. It's bad enough Lobdell gets one Superman title and now he's writing 2 of them? Fortunately I'm guessing this is just temporary whilst DC search for a new writer but given the way Diggle was treated that resulted in him leaving the title, I wouldn't be surprised if they have a tough time finding a replacement writer for Action Comics. Glad I'm making Superman Unchained my new Superman book.

Seconded. I know he's writing two titles right now, But I would LOVE to see Jeff Lemire write Superman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@suprman said:

@lvenger said:

Seconded. I know he's writing two titles right now, But I would LOVE to see Jeff Lemire write Superman.

Would his writing style fit Superman? It's a tad darker than Superman is used to. And Lemire is writing 3 titles for DC. Green Arrow, JLD and co writing Constantine with Ray Fawkes. That decreases the likelihood of him writing Superman I'm afraid.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I realize Lemire has a lot on his plate right now and it was mostly wishful thinking. I suggest reading his run on Superboy before the new 52, it was an awesome read and I think he could give Superman a dark/ science fiction feel to it. Regardless, we at least have this one story arc to read in AC before Unchained comes out.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Bob Harras is the devil and Lobdell is clearly one of his four horsemen.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Irrelevant as Superman Unchained & Superman/Batman will soon be at the top of the Superman-pile anyway

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmashBrawler

This blows. That's pretty much all I can say at this point. This blows.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DC not only alienated Diggle, it alienated possible writers for that book because who the hell will want to take over AC after what happen to Diggle.

What did happen to Diggle? I wasn't really clear on that.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#22  Edited By Teerack

Thank god. AC has been so HORRIBLE.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arnoldoaad said:

What did happen to Diggle? I wasn't really clear on that.

timeline goes pretty much like this

• Diggle goes on twitter saying that he is excited because he is getting on of the biggest jobs in his already big career
    • then it is announced that he is taking over AC to a BOLD NEW ERA
    • then he leaves after only 3 issues barely scripted because of professional reasons

now you do the math and tell me how is that one the most respected writers in the business leaves of what in his own words was one of best gigs he could ever had like if it was a stinking diseased whore.

obviously the job wasnt as good as it looked. Im just going to take a wild guess and say that it wasnt Diggle's fault

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deaditegonzo

Awesome, this is good news. Superman's solo has been solid, but it has the benefit of feeling grand in scale, like bigger and bigger things could happen. With Lobdell on both, the consistency could allow for Supes to really become what he always should be, the greatest Super hero there is, facing the biggest and greatest threats. Also, as of right now, the stuff going on in Clark and Diana's lives seem inconsistent per each book, and this may help flesh out their romance. Morrison's Clark seemed to still be pursuing Lois, which is both a cold move (two timer) and idiotic (perfect demi-god or human woman?). Anyway, I know some people dont like Lobdell, buts it hard to see why. I guess I just like the uber Silver Age Superman, and the uber Kingdom Come Superman (they differ in how they handle the Clark persona of course), and im tired of the Byrne era Superman seeping into my Superman.

PopRock123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do we really need another superman book to be horribly written because of Lobdell. I have not been impressed by a superman book in a long time hopefully Batman/Superman and Superman unchained turn out to be good.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lvenger

@suprman: I followed that particular run. It was quite good which made it all the more bittersweet when the New 52 reversed all that. Still Superboy's finding his stride in the New 52

@deaditegonzo: Hard to see why people dislike Lobdell? I find it harder why people like his writing. Lobdell's characterisation of Superman has been very poor, the dialogue is cliched and the stories are nothing special. Just sub par story material. And he's still better than overall better writers like Perez and Giffen were on Superman! All in all I find his work very distasteful.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Meh...can't be worse than Morrison's last arc.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lvenger

Yes it can. Much much much worse than Morrison's. Morrison's run was actually good compared to Lobdell's rubbish writing. He actually understands Superman's character whereas the same cannot be said for Lobdell.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Yes it can. Much much much worse than Morrison's. Morrison's run was actually good compared to Lobdell's rubbish writing. He actually understands Superman's character whereas the same cannot be said for Lobdell.

I don't think anyone apart from Morrison understood the last arc!

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am actually glad as Lobdell is doing a great job with Superman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Funny since there's a bunch of reviewers and myself who disagree with you. Amongst others on here who liked it. So that's incorrect. If you don't like Morrison's writing style that's one thing but he gets Superman's character and understands it far better than Lobdell does. It shows in his writing. Even if the story is confusing, there's still a good depiction of Superman in there. Far better than Lobdell's one unless you have a good reason for thinking otherwise?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By TDK_1997

When I saw that he was taking over I was so disappointed.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@tdk_1997 said:

he isnt. its a fill in.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

he isnt. its a fill in.

Still it's worse enough for the time he will be on the title.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Diggle's run is over im dropping Action until DC can put an actually good writer on the book. Lobdell's writing sucks

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Funny since there's a bunch of reviewers and myself who disagree with you. Amongst others on here who liked it. So that's incorrect. If you don't like Morrison's writing style that's one thing but he gets Superman's character and understands it far better than Lobdell does. It shows in his writing. Even if the story is confusing, there's still a good depiction of Superman in there. Far better than Lobdell's one unless you have a good reason for thinking otherwise?

I feel the problem is too many modern people dont get Superman. I think in the past, Morrison has shown he has a great eye for Superman stories, like in All Star Superman for one, but this Action Comics run was nothing like any Superman ive seen before. It could be defended by the fact that it was intended as a reinvention of the character of course, but then it started changing directions somewhat again. I defended why I like Lobdells Superman above, maybe its on your, and the "reviewers", to defend whats so great about the Action Comics Superman (without mentioning Morrison's past works).

Dont get me wrong, it was overall a good story, and it REALLY highlighted Mxy, but after it, I could easily say Morrison gets Mxy, but his portrayal of Supes was the weaker of the two on-goings IMO. And I honestly believe every reviewer who praised his portrayal was only basing it on fan-blinders from his past works, Morrison is a critical darling, Lobdell is not.

^All Opinion, if that isnt obvious.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: I would agree. In my opinion the Mxy arc was just not my cup of tea for a Superman story. Also, it felt like it was a cross-over and I wasn't reading the corresponding issues in another title (missing something going on, etc).

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so exciting. Lobdell is awesome.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Hey man, you don't have to act all high and mighty. I like Superman, but I didn't like Morrison's last arc. So deal with it.

Like Morrison's Batman RIP, I don't appreciate his desire to make obscure references to Golden Age and Silver Age Comics. I don't like having to spend my time re-re-re-re-reading an issue that jumps all over the place in the past-present and future, switching back and forth between dimensions.

...and I'm sure that your beloved reviewers will have to agree with me, at least in part with some of the things above.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Hey man, you don't have to act all high and mighty. I like Superman, but I didn't like Morrison's last arc. So deal with it.

Like Morrison's Batman RIP, I don't appreciate his desire to make obscure references to Golden Age and Silver Age Comics. I don't like having to spend my time re-re-re-re-reading an issue that jumps all over the place in the past-present and future, switching back and forth between dimensions.

...and I'm sure that your beloved reviewers will have to agree with me, at least in part with some of the things above.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinions but I'm merely pointing out that Morrison gets Superman's character far better than Lobdell does. If you don't like stretching your brain too much for reading a comic, then I'm sure Lobdell will suit your tastes just fine since his run is much more dumbed down and tame compared to Morrison's. And there's no need to ger high and mighty with me yourself with that last comment. I don't mind doing the things you mention nor do the reviewers. It makes for a more entertaining book when the writer respects the history of the character rather than ruining it like Lobdell does.

SHTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is disappointing news. I expected a much better writer. Hopefully this is just a short-term replacement.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

....Well he is a fill-in. Unchained for me.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sinestro_GL

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

@lvenger said:

@sinestro_gl said:

You're perfectly entitled to your opinions but I'm merely pointing out that Morrison gets Superman's character far better than Lobdell does. If you don't like stretching your brain too much for reading a comic, then I'm sure Lobdell will suit your tastes just fine since his run is much more dumbed down and tame compared to Morrison's. And there's no need to ger high and mighty with me yourself with that last comment. I don't mind doing the things you mention nor do the reviewers. It makes for a more entertaining book when the writer respects the history of the character rather than ruining it like Lobdell does.

If I'm perfectly honest, I haven't been a huge fan of any of the Superman books since the reboot...actually, the last issue I really enjoyed was AC #900. So for me, neither author has particularly won my praises, but Morrison's first arc was decent.

Additionally, in comparison to Morrison, ANY AUTHOR is significantly more tame. I feel that with Morrison, his work since All-Star Superman has declined. There's a difference between being a smart writer, to just down right pretentious.

It is also disrespectful towards Lobdell to say that he is responsible for ruining Superman and his history. I suggest you re-read the Superman title after the reboot and before Lobdell's to remind yourself of the quality of the Superman title before Lobdell attempted to make something out of that trainwreck.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Oh boy...

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well... Diggle's first issue was basically... Meh.

It can't be worse with Lobdell taking over.

nightwingnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wow he is on alot of books now.

nightwingnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.