Scott Lobdell & Ken Rocafort on Superman

#1 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/41356

SUPERMAN #0

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

Art and cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

1:25 B&W Variant cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

On sale SEPTEMBER 26 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• Welcome the new creative team of Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort as they take us back to the days when Jor-El learned the truth about Krypton’s imminent destruction!

• Plus: More on the introduction of the Eradicators!

#2 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta say, this cover is so so so so so beautiful, Its like the best cover for Superman.

#3 Posted by noj (1094 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great! I really like Rocaforts art though I wonder if a new artist is going to take over Red Hood and the Outlaws now?

#5 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh good, now I have an excuse to drop Red Hood

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34375 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmmmm how is this going to work?

#7 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but this news is with the inclusion of Ken Rocafort. And the confirmation. So I believe it deserves a thread of its own :)

#8 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how I feel about this.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34375 posts) - - Show Bio
@HotSauceCommittee said:

Why?
#10 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@HotSauceCommittee said:

Why?
I don't think they'll be in Red Hood now.
#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34375 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@HotSauceCommittee said:

Why?
Just because they are on Superman doesn't mean they will be leaving Red Hood
#12 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: I don't know about that...

TBH, I really would like a new, younger writer for Superman...God, Aquaman, WW, GL and Batman have amazing writers...Why can't Supes have the same treatment..
#13 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Primmaster64 said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@HotSauceCommittee said:

Why?
Just because they are on Superman doesn't mean they will be leaving Red Hood

Lobdell maybe but most artists havn't even been able to handle 12 issues of one title, doubt Rocafort will be working on two consistently.

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #0

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

Art by DWAYNE TURNER

Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

On sale SEPTEMBER 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• Learn how Jason Todd came back to life after being killed by The Joker.

• Do you really need another reason to check out this issue?

#14 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

Looks great! I really like Rocaforts art though I wonder if a new artist is going to take over Red Hood and the Outlaws now?

I hope not :(

#15 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Im already excited about Superman.

When was the last time anything that happened in Superman mattered. From the past 9 issues I've read faithfully, everything could be thrown away and be disregarded. The only thing that mattered was the introduction of nano-tech suit. Everything else was canon only in Action Comics.

In just the description, Scott would be reintroducing the "Eradicators" or should I say

The Eradicator
#16 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

@spiderbat87: TBH, I really would like a new, younger writer for Superman...God, Aquaman, WW, GL and Batman have amazing writers...Why can't Supes have the same treatment..

This......though that interview gives me sum hope,n i hope lobdell does THE Flagship title justice. (fingers crossed)

#17 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@UltimateSMfan said:

@Primmaster64 said:

@spiderbat87: TBH, I really would like a new, younger writer for Superman...God, Aquaman, WW, GL and Batman have amazing writers...Why can't Supes have the same treatment..

This......though that interview gives me sum hope,n i hope lobdell does THE Flagship title justice. (fingers crossed)

It can't be worse can it?
#18 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1474 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: No Way.....its Superman.

#19 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

@UltimateSMfan said:

@Primmaster64 said:

It can't be worse can it?

One thing is for sure, it wont be as boring as the past few issues.

#20 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe...Let's hope he can actually last in the series...But he should drop TT and Superboy....Just commit to Superman and Red Hood.

#21 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: he already dropped superboy at issue 11.

#22 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard from sources, DC really wanted Scott to write Superman 6 months ago.

#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

He should leave TT too...and give Red Hood too Judd Winick.

#24 Posted by Dernman (15474 posts) - - Show Bio

Lobdell said 

As far as comparing Superman to the other books, I would say apples and oranges — if those apples and oranges had a bright red “S” on their chests! Grant [Morrison] does that great retro-freshness he does and Geoff [Johns] gives us an unbridled action movie every month — I’m determined to give you a Superman that surprises you from issue to issue.

That’s not hyperbole, either, when I finished the plot for the first issue I gasped!

The idea of an insane Superman should be the most horrifying thing anyone of us can imagine, for example, but when that person winds up being  a cute and cuddly Bizarro, it takes the villain out of super villain.

We plan to change that.

I like the part in bold.
#25 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

Lobdell said

As far as comparing Superman to the other books, I would say apples and oranges — if those apples and oranges had a bright red “S” on their chests! Grant [Morrison] does that great retro-freshness he does and Geoff [Johns] gives us an unbridled action movie every month — I’m determined to give you a Superman that surprises you from issue to issue.

That’s not hyperbole, either, when I finished the plot for the first issue I gasped!

The idea of an insane Superman should be the most horrifying thing anyone of us can imagine, for example, but when that person winds up being a cute and cuddly Bizarro, it takes the villain out of super villain.

We plan to change that.

I like the part in bold.

As do I.

#26 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:
Lobdell said 

The idea of an insane Superman should be the most horrifying thing anyone of us can imagine, for example, but when that person winds up being  a cute and cuddly Bizarro, it takes the villain out of super villain.

We plan to change that.

I like the part in bold.
So...Bizarro is gonna be really evil now?
#27 Posted by Dernman (15474 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
@Dernman said:
Lobdell said 

We plan to change that.

I like the part in bold.
So...Bizarro is gonna be really evil now?
Looks like.
A non Backwards Bizzarro #1 isn't anything new really. In cartoon, comics smallville they did it where he was a clone that was Superman but evil or gone over the edge. Honestly I like the others better then Bizzaro #1 which I never liked.
#28 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman: Cartoons? Which ones?
#29 Posted by Dernman (15474 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: IIRC The one that sorta spined off into JLU and the death of Superman cartoon movie.
#30 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@Dernman said:

Lobdell said

The idea of an insane Superman should be the most horrifying thing anyone of us can imagine, for example, but when that person winds up being a cute and cuddly Bizarro, it takes the villain out of super villain.

We plan to change that.

I like the part in bold.

As do I.

That's the best part

#31 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2237 posts) - - Show Bio

The types of plots RHATO has would suit Superman much more than it does two street levelers, even with their alien companion. I just hope this doesn't mean Rocafort is off of Red Hood entirely. He's pretty much the reason why I still pay attention to the book.

#32 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman: JLU? Oh yeah I remember that Superman from the death of Superman...
#33 Posted by Dernman (15474 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: Justice League Unlimited.
#34 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman: That was an alternative universe Superman...
#35 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: iwouldent worry to much on it dude cause Scott Lobdell is a really good writer i mean out of the three titles he is doing superboy and red hood are two of my favorite titles in the new 52 and im sure he will write a good story for this issues plus if the rumors that he is takeing up the superman are ture in stead of getting ok story arcs supes would get really good ones. Plus Kenneth Rocafort art kind of fits supermans character in my opion. Just um oly hope he doesnt make supes look like Jason Todd like has one with jor-el.

#36 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about this. Lobdell's been kinda hit or miss (mostly miss) on the other three titles he's on.

#37 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

Regardless of how others may feel, I'm looking forward to this. It can't be any worse than what we've got now.

#38 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85: relly like superboy and red hood TT is ok dount really like the art on it but eathier way if they both work on superman hopefully they make it awesome instead of ok

#39 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@YoggSaron said:

Regardless of how others may feel, I'm looking forward to this. It can't be any worse than what we've got now.

You might be right...
#40 Edited by The_Tree (7880 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he does Superman but drops Superboy and Teen Titans. Teen Titans has been good, but I think it could be a lot better, and Superboy is very meh IMO. I also just don't want to see him spreading himself so thin that the titles he's working on take a dive in quality.

#41 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree said:

I hope he does Superman but drops Superboy and Teen Titans. Teen Titans has been good, but I think it could be a lot better, and Superboy is very meh IMO. I also just don't want to see him spreading himself so thin that the titles he's working on take a dive in quality.

Exactly.
#42 Posted by knighthood (1728 posts) - - Show Bio

Rocafort is great artist, but Lobdell has been horrible on most of his books recently.

#43 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like Ken is a good match with Scott. Because of how Scott's work is very exposiion heavy, he needs someone like Ken to really have inventive layouts and likewise Ken's layout and style fits Scott perfectly. Its one reason why red hood has been consistently good performer. In terms of sales and quality

#44 Posted by knighthood (1728 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Yep, quality...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.