Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

reality of doomsday vs superman

sumafatrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sumafatrider

supes and doomsday are powerfull enough to rip the earth in two,so a battle between them,using all their strength to exhaustion(atleast for supes),i means an arms wrestling competition between thor and hercules throw the earth out of its orbit,shouldn't a fight between these two break the planet to pieces???????

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe Supes and Doomsday are not really that strong to break a planet like an egg. In the bronze age, I do remember Validus breaking up something like a planet bec. the Fatal Five needed a vacation home.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Press Oblivion

The more I think about this fight, the more puzzled I become with the fact that Superman didn't trounce Doomsday in that first encounter. But that's neither here nor there.

I don't think that their fight would rip the earth apart, physics wouldn't allow it given their disproportionate size, mass and displacement of force/energy. The Thor Hercules arm wrestling point you're siting is absurd and is only fan service good times.

AtraCruor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AtraCruor
    @Press Oblivion: It was his first encounter with Doomsday and so he wasn't really sure what he was up against as he later became.  He was also super-speeding around saving lives so he was burning up his solar reserves faster leading Superman to hit with less for later in the fight than if he had stayed with DD the entire time.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ssejllenrad

People forget that the first time they met was just a few years after the Byrne retcon. And back then, he was way too weak. It was largely due to keeping his strength in check. They had his upper limit at 100 tons or so. It wasn't until the late 90's that they started increasing his power levels to the point where he was at towards the end of pre-Flashpoint. So yeah, it made some sense.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By colonyofcells

Making Superman and Doomsday too powerful just results in silly situations. I prefer Superman lift only 1 bus and not even meteors. For Doomsday, it is probably about time Doomsday evolve intelligence, flight and energy powers to better fight Superman.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Press Oblivion

@AtraCruor:@ssejllenrad: OK I can see that. Yet Doomsday's power set was limited to "Monster Mash" while Superman still had an arsenal of abilities at his disposal and all he could come up with was "hit him hard". Superman is supposed to be an incredibly intelligent character but he's not always written that way and this is what puzzles me about that fight.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ssejllenrad

@Press Oblivion: Not really "hit em hard" only. Doomsday was incredibly fast. He can't really utilize freeze breath (going by what was shown in the animated rendition), and he used his heat vision as well (to no avail).

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Press Oblivion

It has been a couple of decades since I last read it, I'll have to take a look at it again.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ssejllenrad

Here's some of the scans regarding Doomday's speed back in DOS.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Press Oblivion

I really do have to read this again, I don't remember Maxima being in the story at all.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By danhimself

@Press Oblivion said:

I really do have to read this again, I don't remember Maxima being in the story at all.

she was a member of the JLA back then...the JLA was at that point pretty much the JLA International team

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThanosIsMad

@ssejllenrad said:

People forget that the first time they met was just a few years after the Byrne retcon. And back then, he was way too weak. It was largely due to keeping his strength in check. They had his upper limit at 100 tons or so. It wasn't until the late 90's that they started increasing his power levels to the point where he was at towards the end of pre-Flashpoint. So yeah, it made some sense.

Didn't he lift a pyramid back then? Pyramids are way more than 100 tons.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ssejllenrad

@ThanosIsMad said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Didn't he lift a pyramid back then? Pyramids are way more than 100 tons.

Byrne's Superman? What issue is this from?

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad said:

I remember when I thought 100 tones was the bomb, learned a thing or 2 and now base 100 tonners seems like the street levelers of heavy hitters these days

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.