Questions about Superman's powers.

#1 Edited by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, we're all aware that Superman gets his powers from the rays of our yellow sun and the closer or farther he is from the rays, that can make of break how strong his abilities are. But say he was deep underground where it's impossible for the sunlight to penetrate or even get down there. Will he be powerless? Also, what's with his enemies not utilyzing this weakness? Take him to the deepest/darkest of caverns and merc him, or just use ray guns that mimic red UV rays. Those are just my thoughts about it, what do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

The one thing you have to take into account is that when he does go underground out of the sun, it's not like there's an off switch for his powers. He himself is a solar battery. So while yes, being out of the yellow sun rays means he's no longer gaining power, he's also not losing it at an extreme rate. Take his latest strength feat for example, he was deep underground for 5 days straight benching the weight of the Earth and what happened at the end? He sweat one single bead of sweat and then flew back up the the surface for a recharge. So if villains wanted to exploit this, they'd have to find a way to hold him there long enough for his powers to finally drain, and keeping Kal from his Sun is NOT going to be easy.

#3 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah supes is like a solar battery

He has gone underground before and had no problems

#4 Posted by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supes1903: Ok thanks, I just needed that cleared up. I never thought writers ever addressed that. What about mimicing red UV rays in weapons? Not like Kandor, but guns with red rays?

#5 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Np. As far as I'm aware, a weaponized red sun ray wouldn't hurt him or immediately depower him but like you said if he's placed in a room with nothing but red sun light then yeah he'll eventually be depowered to human levels.

#6 Posted by Sammo21 (697 posts) - - Show Bio

He stores his energy like a battery. Also, if I am not mistaken, he gets his powers from the radiation of our yellow sun...not specifically the rays of the sun (aka, direct contact). If he were underground I would assume he would still be getting the radiation from the sun. Now, if he were drained of his powers AND kept in some sort of containment that kept him from getting access to the radiation, then that would be a different story.

#7 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supes1903 said:

Np. As far as I'm aware, a weaponized red sun ray wouldn't hurt him or immediately depower him but like you said if he's placed in a room with nothing but red sun light then yeah he'll eventually be depowered to human levels.

I agree with this.

#8 Posted by Lvenger (20653 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supes1903 said:

The one thing you have to take into account is that when he does go underground out of the sun, it's not like there's an off switch for his powers. He himself is a solar battery. So while yes, being out of the yellow sun rays means he's no longer gaining power, he's also not losing it at an extreme rate. Take his latest strength feat for example, he was deep underground for 5 days straight benching the weight of the Earth and what happened at the end? He sweat one single bead of sweat and then flew back up the the surface for a recharge. So if villains wanted to exploit this, they'd have to find a way to hold him there long enough for his powers to finally drain, and keeping Kal from his Sun is NOT going to be easy.

@Sammo21 said:

He stores his energy like a battery. Also, if I am not mistaken, he gets his powers from the radiation of our yellow sun...not specifically the rays of the sun (aka, direct contact). If he were underground I would assume he would still be getting the radiation from the sun. Now, if he were drained of his powers AND kept in some sort of containment that kept him from getting access to the radiation, then that would be a different story.

Both these posts are the best explanations of Superman's solar battery storage.

#9 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supes1903: Actually when the Sun -Eater came during the Blackest Night Arc , Superman became power-less almost immediately, Hal Jordan as Parallax sacraficed his life to save the universe by recharging the Sun. I don't know why they went away from this fact, and came up with the 5 days in the earth and one bead of sweat thing while testing his strength thing. I guess to boost him up, beyond where he was.

#10 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

They went away from that because it was inconsistent with what had come before, that Superman is essentially a solar battery. If editorial was allowing this, perhaps they were trying to retcon Superman's status with this event.

I don't remember this event though. It's been a while since I read Blackest Night.

#11 Posted by Squalleon (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@TerrellV13: He stores energy plus supes powers aren't entirely coming from the sunlight but also from his kryptonian nature(at least in the new 52)!

#12 Posted by SmashBrawler (5941 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

@Supes1903: Actually when the Sun -Eater came during the Blackest Night Arc , Superman became power-less almost immediately, Hal Jordan as Parallax sacraficed his life to save the universe by recharging the Sun. I don't know why they went away from this fact, and came up with the 5 days in the earth and one bead of sweat thing while testing his strength thing. I guess to boost him up, beyond where he was.

Final Night, not Blackest Night.

@Press Oblivion said:

They went away from that because it was inconsistent with what had come before, that Superman is essentially a solar battery. If editorial was allowing this, perhaps they were trying to retcon Superman's status with this event.

I don't remember this event though. It's been a while since I read Blackest Night.

I personally don't remember Superman losing his powers instantly in Final Night.

#13 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3556 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supes1903 said:

@TerrellV13 Np. As far as I'm aware, a weaponized red sun ray wouldn't hurt him or immediately depower him but like you said if he's placed in a room with nothing but red sun light then yeah he'll eventually be depowered to human levels.

This is what I want to be true, but he has been depowered immediately by weaponized red sun light in the past. It was pre-52, but it happened and a precedent hasn't been set for the New 52 as far as I know.
#14 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh! Thanks for the correction then. By chance do you know what issue that was in?

#15 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3556 posts) - - Show Bio
@Supes1903 said:

@Kal'smahboi Oh! Thanks for the correction then. By chance do you know what issue that was in?

They use it throughout the World of New Krypton arc. Other than that, I have a couple of elseworlds examples like in Red Son. I just don't get it. I've always been under the persuasion that he shouldn't be depowered, but simply shouldn't be able to draw power from red sunlight.
#16 Posted by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, new question. What about in the evening when the sun gives off that red color. What happens to his powers then?

#17 Posted by SmashBrawler (5941 posts) - - Show Bio

@TerrellV13 said:

Ok, new question. What about in the evening when the sun gives off that red color. What happens to his powers then?

What affects Superman is the Sun's radiation, not the color it has. The color is our way of telling a star's age.

#18 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

its really inconsistent, in infinite crisis he flew through the heart of a red sun... and i dont think he immediately depowers.. i remember a issue where he fought a whole army under a red sun for some amount of time..i thin it was Kanjar Ro's army

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33882 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Supes1903 said:

@Sammo21 said:

Both these posts are the best explanations of Superman's solar battery storage.

current Supes started to lose his power when he was underground for so long

#20 Posted by asIsuspected (543 posts) - - Show Bio

I like all supes power except super breath it just makes no sense to me.........

#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@asIsuspected: How doesn't it make sense? Super lungs = Super breath

#22 Posted by asIsuspected (543 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

while heat vision is very cool, super breath seems to me a bit childish.....

#23 Posted by Superbat420 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

Has nobody watched the justice league tv show?

#24 Posted by ComicStooge (13357 posts) - - Show Bio

@asIsuspected said:

@Gambit1024 said:

How?

#25 Posted by MrShway88 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

What if Superman was expose to the rays of another color sun besides yellow or red? If a red sun is a dying sun and makes Superman "normal" and a yellow sun which is a star's mid-life powers Superman then wouldn't a blue sun or a young star power Superman to level never seen before?

#26 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Would super hot breath make more sense ?

#27 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88 said:

What if Superman was expose to the rays of another color sun besides yellow or red? If a red sun is a dying sun and makes Superman "normal" and a yellow sun which is a star's mid-life powers Superman then wouldn't a blue sun or a young star power Superman to level never seen before?

Yeah supes actually got new powers under a blue star such as superman vision

#28 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked that this was addressed recently in Action. He was below this surface testing his strength and began to feel weaker because he wasn't exposed to sunlight.

#29 Posted by asIsuspected (543 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Would super hot breath make more sense ?

yes

#30 Posted by asIsuspected (543 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@asIsuspected said:

@Gambit1024 said:

How?

it's just my subjective point of veiw....while i really like heat vision(especially when his eyes turn red that looks really cool) I'm not quite alright with the fact that a being that derives it's powers from the sun can freez objects with his breath. an ability to melt objects would make more sence to me.....but then again It's just mine retrospective on Superman's powers.

#31 Posted by ComicStooge (13357 posts) - - Show Bio

@asIsuspected said:

@ComicStooge said:

@asIsuspected said:

@Gambit1024 said:

How?

it's just my subjective point of veiw....while i really like heat vision(especially when his eyes turn red that looks really cool) I'm not quite alright with the fact that a being that derives it's powers from the sun can freez objects with his breath. an ability to melt objects would make more sence to me.....but then again It's just mine retrospective on Superman's powers.

Fair enough.

#32 Edited by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

@asIsuspected said:

@ComicStooge said:

@asIsuspected said:

@Gambit1024 said:

How?

Well if you blow on your hand with your lips close together, do you fell hot air or cold air? His freeze breath is just that effect amplified (I guess).

But here is what is funny, if you breath on your hand with your mouth wide open, you feel hot air, so Superman should be able to do that amplified as well (since he can do freeze breath), but I guess a side effect of breathing with your mouth open is your breath odor seems to be more noticeable, I guess Superman does not want to share his Super-morning-breath.

#33 Posted by asIsuspected (543 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@asIsuspected said:

@ComicStooge said:

@asIsuspected said:

@Gambit1024 said:

How?

Well if you blow on your hand with your lips close together, do you fell hot air or cold air? His freeze breath is just that effect amplified (I guess).

But here is what is funny, if you breath on your hand with your mouth wide open, you feel hot air, so Superman should be able to do that amplified as well (since he can do freeze breath), but I guess a side effect of breathing with your mouth open is your breath odor seems to be more noticeable, I guess Superman does not want to share his Super-morning-breath.

)))) yeah! I guess so.....

#34 Posted by IamGog (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supes1903: Really depends on what version. Some superman can absorb solar radiations from different stars except for red. It really takes him a couple of hours to loose his powers completely.

#35 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

If Clark does not brush and floss his teeth, maybe he can also use super bad breath to disable villains ?

#36 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@asIsuspected said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Lungs are basically muscles, since these muscles would be just as strong as the rest of them so technically the Super breath makes much more logical sense than Heat or X-ray vision

#37 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@asIsuspected said:

@ComicStooge said:

@asIsuspected said:

@Gambit1024 said:

How?

When Superman purses his lips together, or when you do it, you're pressurizing the air you're blowing, which is why it's cold. Someone on Superman's scale would be able to create more pressure, bringing the temperature down the more his lips are pursed together, thus chilling the moisture in the air to the point of freezing. Super lungs also means the chilling factor can go further, so he can cool the air great distances away from himself.

There's no focusing of anything if he just breathed normal to get the hot air affect; doing that pretty much accounts for his hurricane force wind type blows he usually does to put out fires. If he wanted a quick burst, of course. He'd still need to purse his lips for a consistent stream of fire dousing air.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.