Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Public Service Announcement:The Effect of Magic on Superman!

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I heard the most ridulous statement in my local comic book store recently. It was said by a customer that Zatanna could defeat Superman, and gave him the straightest straight face in existence. I refuse to believe that Zatanna could beat arguable the greatest Superhero of all time. I want to set the record straight. Magic-based powers make Superman susceptible them. Its not Kryptonite, he won't die if he gets too close or anything. Watch the video and skip to 5:10 to catch the effect that Magic truly has on Superman.

Now, I know what you're thinking, Yes, this is a video game, but it is the best example of magic use on Superman ever given. Mortal Kombat characters would never be able to stand up to the Man of Steel if not for their magic based powers. Scorpion is a Spectre(human reborn[usually evil]), but a human nonetheless. If you try to kick Superman with all of your might, you might break your leg, but because of Scorpions magic, it levels the playing field in terms of what can hurt him. NOTHING ELSE. It is unlikley that magic alone will kill the Superman.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Couldn't Zatanna use her death spell? It would kill her, but it would take him too.

Would that work? Anyone know?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

If you give a magic user prep then yes they could beat Superman

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

Um....you do realize that it's not cause Scorpion was a Hellspawn, it was cause of the two universes were merging (thanks to Dark Khan) that cause Superman to be weakened. Otherwise, Superman would have been able to stomp most if not all of the MK universe regardless. (which levels the playing field game wise just like the Kryptonian pills in Injustice)

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yep, this is the right answer.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

yup

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

If you shoot superman in the head with a magic bullet he dies... well sorta.

Magical stuff effects him exactly as it would a normal person. So if I had a sword that was enchanted and i tried to cut off his head it would succeed based on how fast he regenerates and how thick the blade is and how quickly goes down as well as if the head was separated or not.

So it effects him but you then have to take into account other factors. If you were to cast a spell that caused the target to die... Superman would die... but then maybe he'd punch his way back >.>

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UltimateSMfan

What i dont get is that Magic is highlighted As such a big weakness for Superman only.

firstly,its not a weakness,he's just vulnerable to it like any other normal person but doesn't that mean it would affect every other super being??

Wouldnt Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman also be vulnerable to it? all their powers are science based. Heck even Wonder Woman should be vulnerable,what just cause she has magical body accessories that means she cant be affected by magic?? even JLU did it right,WW got turned into a pig by Circe in one episode. Shazam too to an extent,sure he's the champion of magic but can be taken down by a superior witch/wizard(eg: Enchantress in flashpoint) atleast until he learns how to use his magic properly.

Batman is a Man and he hardly is affected by magic,i hated that back up in batman #20 and 21, Superman got sick cause his super senses couldn't handle the ghosts and stuff(what bullsh*t!) and batman was fine cause he was perceiving ghosts like any ordinary person,i mean seriously??

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What i dont get is that Magic is highlighted As such a big weakness for Superman only.

firstly,its not a weakness,he's just vulnerable to it like any other normal person but doesn't that mean it would affect every other super being??

Wouldnt Martian Manhunter, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman also be vulnerable to it? all their powers are science based. Heck even Wonder Woman should be vulnerable,what just cause she has magical body accessories that means she cant be affected by magic?? even JLU did it right,WW got turned into a pig by Circe in one episode. Shazam too to an extent,sure he's the champion of magic but can be taken down by a superior witch/wizard(eg: Enchantress in flashpoint) atleast until he learns how to use his magic properly.

Batman is a Man and he hardly is affected by magic,i hated that back up in batman #20 and 21, Superman got sick cause his super senses couldn't handle the ghosts and stuff(what bullsh*t!) and batman was fine cause he was perceiving ghosts like any ordinary person,i mean seriously??

Yup.

I always saw it that way. Superman was affected by the magic just as any other mortal would.

I mean,it's not like he (or any of the people you listed) are immune to it....well,Shazam probably is,but he doesn't know how to use his magic as you stated

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

If you shoot superman in the head with a magic bullet he dies... well sorta.

Magical stuff effects him exactly as it would a normal person. So if I had a sword that was enchanted and i tried to cut off his head it would succeed based on how fast he regenerates and how thick the blade is and how quickly goes down as well as if the head was separated or not.

So it effects him but you then have to take into account other factors. If you were to cast a spell that caused the target to die... Superman would die... but then maybe he'd punch his way back >.>

XD

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AweSam

@v_scarlotte_rose: Superman could crush her throat before she has the chance to open her mouth.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By warlock360

Doom could. More importantly Wonder Woman already did with her magic lasso.

/thread

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@v_scarlotte_rose: Superman could crush her throat before she has the chance to open her mouth.

But she could do it if he was distracted, or she snuck up on him?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AweSam

@v_scarlotte_rose: Hard to sneak up on a guy who could hear footsteps from miles away and every voice on the planet fron Earth's orbit. If your question is, would it work, then it's possible. I'm not familiar with the death spell, but Superman is vulnerable to magic. He's not as vulnerable as some may think. In fact, he does have a degree of resistance against it.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: She used it to kill Enchantress during Flashpoint. She says it, and the victim dies instantly(though Enchantress survived because of some magic thing).

I'll get back to you if I can find a way for her to have the chance to say the spell, based on other spells she's used.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I actually remember her trying it on Enchantress, I just didn't remember when it took place. I'll look into the spell a bit. If it just kills someone instantly, then it should work. Really depends on how it works.

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um....you do realize that it's not cause Scorpion was a Hellspawn, it was cause of the two universes were merging (thanks to Dark Khan) that cause Superman to be weakened. Otherwise, Superman would have been able to stomp most if not all of the MK universe regardless. (which levels the playing field game wise just like the Kryptonian pills in Injustice)

@jonny_anonymous said:

The two universes merging had not begun to show a true effect on Superman yet. Its safe to say that he was still at 90-95% healthy and completley unaware of of the crossover event. It was still early on in the story so no one drasticlly affected by the "RAGE" yet. Superman was affected because of their magic based powers. The Magic leveled the playing field.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

depends if your comic book store buddy was talking about the old superman or the new 52 one....new one seems to be weakened by it, while the other one was vulnerable to it.

In a way he technically wasn't wrong....

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreyoutcastx said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

The two universes merging had not begun to show a true effect on Superman yet. Its safe to say that he was still at 90-95% healthy and completley unaware of of the crossover event. It was still early on in the story so no one drasticlly affected by the "RAGE" yet. Superman was affected because of their magic based powers. The Magic leveled the playing field.

The tie-in comic says otherwise. When Sub-Zero appears in the Fortress when the realms first begin to merge, Superman hits him only to have Sub-Zero endure it and hit him with a Ice blast. Dark Khan narrates the book and says he is the cause of the Kryptonian's weakening powers (due to Dark Khan trying to merge the realms). And in the game, Superman loses to Sub-Zero and has to be rescued by Wonder Woman. He was nerfed so that he could work in the game which has been confirmed by Boon a long time ago.

I mean Superman was froze in ice by Sub-Zero. If not for the nerfing, Superman would have been like B*tch please.
    I mean Superman was froze in ice by Sub-Zero. If not for the nerfing, Superman would have been like B*tch please.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@w0nd said:
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

depends if your comic book store buddy was talking about the old superman or the new 52 one....new one seems to be weakened by it, while the other one was vulnerable to it.

In a way he technically wasn't wrong....

This IMO was rubbish...James Tynion should not be allowed to write superman, he really f'ed up here.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By z3ro180

@w0nd: That was just really bad writing it make supes seem allergic

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@w0nd: That was just really bad writing it make supes seem allergic

but is he now? I mean it's not like standing beside wonder woman would make him sick but if someone is trying to harm him with magic now it could harm him differently than before idk how the new 52 works yet

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorjosh said:
    @thegreyoutcastx said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

The tie-in comic says otherwise. When Sub-Zero appears in the Fortress when the realms first begin to merge, Superman hits him only to have Sub-Zero endure it and hit him with a Ice blast. Dark Khan narrates the book and says he is the cause of the Kryptonian's weakening powers (due to Dark Khan trying to merge the realms). And in the game, Superman loses to Sub-Zero and has to be rescued by Wonder Woman. He was nerfed so that he could work in the game which has been confirmed by Boon a long time ago.

Agreed, Superman would've most likely broken free if not for Dark Kahns powers affecting him. But this is later in the game when Superman found Sub Zero trying to invade his fortress out of pure curiosity. Remember, the Lin Kuei Temple had ended up being located like right across the street when the Dimensions were merged. The Lin Kuei thought that the fortrss contained invaders and they were trying to scout out area. By this time, Superman had no doubt been exposed to Dark Kahns powers and was weakening quickly.

At the beginning when Superman encounters Scorpion, Superman had been exposed to Dark Khans energy, but not to the point where its was showing any real effect yet. That is why I used that example rather than the Sub Zero one. Superman at near full strength can suffice for my point to get across. Was he at full power when he fought Scorpion? Probably not, but he was still near 100%, and Scorpions powers were still damaging the man of Steel. Thats the point that I want to get across to everyone. And yeah, addressing the other page above, @ultimatesmfan and @z3ro180 were right. Terrible writing. Magic looks like it has the affect that Kryptonite has in that page.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.