Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Prove to me that Superman is stronger than Hulk

• 143 results
    superhulksmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lots of people say that supes is stronger but where is the proof. superman has great feats but so does hulk. They are at least equals in my book. Prove me wrong.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FOOL! THis topic is so old, it died years ago but people still want to give it tHe "is it dead kick" to be sure.

Superman Has moved planets. Hulk best feat to matcH is destroying a planet, even Goku can do tHat.

Once Hulk moves a planet tHen tHere will be a reason to debate.

-m3th.O.D.-

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@m3th: I've noticed this a few other times in your posts, but why do you always capitalize the letter H?

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ignoring the Fools.

Hulk has unlimited strength, which in turn can make him stronger. The problem is to get him RAMPed up that high. This is why Hulk is always the strongest but yet isn't the strongest at the same time.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine: Personally I feel this is more leeway than we should be expected to give, even for a fictional comic character (that is, going on "theory" or the word of mouth of other characters that is often hyperbole (exaggeration to illustrate a point)). Anger is more qualitative than quantitative, but could there be a limit to anger? (If we were able to create a unit of measurement & measure someone's anger levels). I would have to imagine there is a limit. It just gets a little ridiculous when someone just say "oh, well Hulk would be even madder than that (previous height of his anger/power ever shown)". I love Hulk, but it just becomes a little much.

Although the OP never answered, if we're talking striking power, Superman wins because of the speed he's able to generate - fliers will always have this advantage over non-flying super-strength characters.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine: Personally I feel this is more leeway than we should be expected to give, even for a fictional comic character (that is, going on "theory" or the word of mouth of other characters that is often hyperbole (exaggeration to illustrate a point)). Anger is more qualitative than quantitative, but could there be a limit to anger? (If we were able to create a unit of measurement & measure someone's anger levels). I would have to imagine there is a limit. It just gets a little ridiculous when someone just say "oh, well Hulk would be even madder than that (previous height of his anger/power ever shown)". I love Hulk, but it just becomes a little much.

Although the OP never answered, if we're talking striking power, Superman wins because of the speed he's able to generate - fliers will always have this advantage over non-flying super-strength characters.

So far there hasn't been a limit to his strength and his anger. Its been said by .... can't remember what cosmic being .... Hulks strength is limitless because this. That part has never been disproven. So that makes it a comic fact. The problem always is how long does it take to get him to a state of anger to a certain degree of strength. That part has never been figured out.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lightsout

@manchine: I'm not saying those things were never said (& I believe it was Beyonder who said that, at least from 2nd-hand info on here), I'm saying that IMO it's past my point of "acceptance" to rely on such hyperbole over displayed feats. (And I argued that it is my belief that (IRL or in anything using science/logic) there is a limit to the "amount" of anger any being is cognitively capable of. Things like anger, sadness & happiness are all caused by levels of chemicals in our brains, so there should be a limit to any of these (it's our descriptions of them using spoken language that gives them their qualitative aspects -- which might make someone say they can't be measured))

Back to the striking part -- although this is simplifying it WAY too much**, if we just go by arm weight vs speed for finding some force (and assuming an arm is 5% of total body weight), Superman would have to punch roughly 4.9x faster than Hulk to produce the same force

**because obviously the mechanics of transferring energy through a punch is more complicated than this, and just based on comic feats, both Hulk & Superman are using energy other than that coming from mass & acceleration because that wouldn't be enough to create the destruction their punches are capable of

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Manchine

@mitran said:

@manchine: Pre-retcon Beyonder. And I think someone else said he could rival the Power Gem.

Secret Wars 2 thats right...Thanks. =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman's has a max strength and the hulk doesn't. Hulks base strength is weaker than supermans max. But eventually hulk will surpass superman if he's angry enough

superhulksmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout: I'm talking about pure lifting strength no hitting power.

superhulksmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk has done several feats such as the infamous catastrophes through infinite dimensions collision and others that should at least put him on Supermans level of strength. I don't hate the Man if Steel he one of the all time greats, but give credit where credit is due please.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superhulksmash: There we go :)

AFAIK, Hulk's strongest lifting feat is holding up a mountain back in the 80's? (I only know this from 2nd-hand reading -- I don't recall the number of tons either). Despite DC being my wheelhouse & Superman being my favorite character, I'm not sure what his strongest lifting feat is. People tend to go more for his moving-large-objects-in-space feats, but the physics of that is incredible messed up & isn't the same as lifting anything. I know Hulk was straining & held it up just long enough for people to get out, so perhaps we might have to take a feat of Supes' and compare his level of strain.

There is the new52 "benching the earth for 5 days straight" crap, but I'm a fan of Supes and hate that. There's many DC people who are pretty near Superman's strength & that'd mean they could all bench it at least once. Given someone renowned for their strength in Marvel (aka Hulk) can "only" lift a mountain....that's hyperbole at it's finest (on DC's part). Not to mention that benching machine ignoring the 'ole equal-&-opposite-reaction requirement of physics (ie: Superman's pushing an Earth's weight away...yet no force up against the machine)

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

didn't he move the moon in superman 4?

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By mikex20

Superman moving planets or moons is just bad writing. All Superman would realistically do is perform a handstand. Using flight to aid him, he would tunnel into the planet before budging it.

As for the question, under normal circumstances Superman is stronger than the Hulk. But Hulk has potentially unlimited strength depending on his rage, so Hulk could surpass Superman's strength if he was angry enough.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikex20 said:

Superman moving planets or moons is just bad writing. All Superman would realistically do is perform a handstand. Using flight to aid him, he would tunnel into the planet before budging it.

Yea, people think that space negates any sort of weight & forget about mass/inertia. A planet would still be a much more massive object than you. If an astronaut was "standing" in space, he wouldn't be able to move a space-station just because there's no gravity. All that would happen would be his body moving around the station (like if you were to grab a flagpole & try to pull it out of the ground - you would just be rotated upwards (given your were strong enough to support yourself)). However I will throw Supes a bone & say he should be able to handle a massive object without just burrowing into it, because any semi-large object he holds (like a plane, ship, etc) should break under it's own weight, but it never does. That implies he has some sort of tactile-kinesis that can grab the entirety of an object with some sort of energy.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh,boy,here we go again,Superman MUCH stronger than hulk

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Prove to me he isn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Hulk has a limited speed

2. Superman is faster than him

3. Mass x Acceleration = Force

HuiZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understood this idea of anger increasing nigh-infinitely, to the point that people posit Hulk having limitless strength as a result. Emotions plateu for anyone. Then again, Hulk is a terrible character. Also, the idea that raw strength decides a battle is funny. Not to mention, Supes actively restrains his full power even in the heat of battle.

Prove to me he isn't.

This.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolfrazer

@huize said:

I never understood this idea of anger increasing nigh-infinitely, to the point that people posit Hulk having limitless strength as a result. Emotions plateu for anyone. Then again, Hulk is a terrible character. Also, the idea that raw strength decides a battle is funny. Not to mention, Supes actively restrains his full power even in the heat of battle.

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Prove to me he isn't.

This.

That's comic logic for ya. Ridiculous? Yes...I can believe a little more that someone gains power from the sun longer than someone gaining power from their anger....but that's how comics work.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

If you want lifting an infinite weight feats, Superman has a few of his own just like Hulk does. Also can we let this topic rest at some point?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

superhulksmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By superhulksmash

@huize: I am not saying that Hulk would beat Superman, The Man of Steel has a far superior power set, I just tired of people saying that Hulk is not as strong as him. I have yet to see anything to prove that to me. Also Banner holds back the Hulks power just like Thor and Superman.

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Doomnaut

Hulk pushes two spheres of matter and antimatter apart, the inertia force-field being greater than a neutron star(Marvel Team-Up Annual #2)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

@theacidskull@dum529001@green_skaarYou guys can probably defend Hulk better than me.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By isaac_clarke

Define stronger. Right now New 52 Superman has the better lifting feat - but nowhere near the same durability or striking power showings as the Hulk.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Define stronger. Right now New 52 Superman has the better lifting feat - but nowhere near the same durability or striking power showings as the Hulk.

Now now, that sounds like a challenge, lol.

superhulksmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doomnaut: Thanks alot. That is a great feat for ol' greenskin.

superhulksmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: I mean pure muscle power, good old superhuman strength.

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver age Superman far stronger.

Post Crisis/John Byrne Superman not much stronger.

New 52 Superman is already stronger and power level is still growing.

I stumbled into this debate for 12 year olds but you can look at any Hulk vs Thing confrontation to see he is no match in head to head strength for Superman.Hulks rage couldn't even propel him to victory against Sentry.

HuiZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^You say it like Sentry is some weak chump.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fifthchild

You'll never prove something like this one way or the other with characters from two different universes. Most creators that I've seen give voice on the topic seem to think that the Hulk is stronger and I imagine he would be written that way or at least as "locking up" with Superman in strength.

Basically the Hulk's thing is being "the strongest one there is" and most writers are going to repect that if he ever went up against Superman though they may also play the ambiguity card to keep everyone happy/unhappy.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHy won't stupid tHreads die? *sigH* Hopefully someone is learning sometHing.

-Abstract 4$$#073-

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fifthchild:

@m3th said:

WHy won't stupid tHreads die? *sigH* Hopefully someone is learning sometHing.

-Abstract 4$$#073-

Well, fifthchild intervened to say something very true: it can't be proven, for a number of reasons, most of all... ahem... you can't prove anything about stuff that doesn't exist. It's like proving that James Bond is impervious to clamydia.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

lol. A never ending debate.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_titan_lord: yeah, maybe we should close it. The OP was kinda silly in the first place.

superhulksmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to offend anyone I just would like to know the reason why people think supes is stronger. Some people just seem so convinced of that fact.Why? I know Superman has great feats but I can think of ones for the hulk that are just as good.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By joshmightbe

Hulk is my favorite character and could equal Superman's strength, tho I do believe Superman would win in a fight simply because he brings a lot more to the table. To put it as simply as possible, Hulk wouldn't have time to build up to Superman's level if he was going all out, because despite what most on this site believe Speed is just as important if not more so than strength in a fight and and Hulk can't compete in that department.

superhulksmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Yep, supes is faster and speed is a huge factor in a fight. I just think hulk might have the upper hand in the strength arena especially World breaker hulk.

Avatar image for lightenupwillya
    LightenUpWillYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that hulk is stronger but is he more powerful? No. Okay maybe. But even though he may be stronger and more powerful he would still lose in a fight against him.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doomnaut said:

Hulk pushes two spheres of matter and antimatter apart, the inertia force-field being greater than a neutron star(Marvel Team-Up Annual #2)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

@theacidskull@dum529001@green_skaarYou guys can probably defend Hulk better than me.

This feat involving matter and anti matter is akin to the "irresistible force meets the immovable object".

Anti-matter electrons are on opposite spin from normal matter's electrons and when they collide they start destroy each other and those forces of atomic destruction are converted into energy, the matter and antimatter being destroyed in the process.

It would take unending amounts of energy to stop the energy conversion, because matter and antimatter don't stop bashing each other once they come into contact. To stop the release of energy you'd need irrestible resistance forces.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By spider11211

Superman is stronger until Hulk gets mad...then the Hulk is the strongest.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if your talking lifting strength the Hulk is obviously stronger.... you know with his strength being limitless and all. However Superman can hit oyu at the speed of light.

Superman would start out stronger, Hulk would get stronger, Superman would sundip and get way stronger, But the Hulk would still eventually get even stronger. But Superman would still destroy him in a fight.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doth New 52 Superman Even Lift?

No Caption Provided

Yes He Does!

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By spider11211

I think Superman would win a fight but Hulk is stronger.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dum529001
    @youmessinwithme said:

if your talking lifting strength the Hulk is obviously stronger.... you know with his strength being limitless and all. However Superman can hit oyu at the speed of light.

Superman would start out stronger, Hulk would get stronger, Superman would sundip and get way stronger, But the Hulk would still eventually get even stronger. But Superman would still destroy him in a fight.

@spider11211 said:

I think Superman would win a fight but Hulk is stronger.

First of all let me ask...

Which is greater?

A. the energy required to pull earth out its orbit of the sun

OR

B. the energy required to reverse the planet's orbit, therefore pushing back and overpowering the electromagnetic force the sun puts on the earth?

The answer is B.

If you would actually read it, this is exactly what the Hulk is shown doing in this comic scan:

Overpowering a field of energy endowed with sufficient power to change the orbit of a planet(Tales to Astonish#89)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Hulk has the power to move a planet at baseline.

The fact that the field strength needed to be increased is proof that Hulk was contesting that kind of power.

Even so, Hulk showed power to overcome a planet's kinetic energy, which is better than overcoming the force it has while it's just sitting there in its static state.

It takes 632 quadrillion 850 trillion megatons(6.3285*10^17) just to stop the earth's orbit. Hulk overpowered energy that could not only stop a planet's orbit but reverse it as well, which means Hulk was able to put out even more power than that.

The gravitational binding energy of earth is 224 nontillion joules(224,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). There is 4 quadrillion 184 trillion joules per megaton(1 Mt = 4,184,000,000,000,000 J). Therefore, it takes 53 quadrillion 537 trillion 285 billion megatons to smash earth to smithereens(5.3537285*10^16). That's as much energy as the sun produces in a day! According to what Hulk has shown, Hulk can also destroy a planet at his baseline power level.

Do you know how fast a 1 ton object has to move to put out energy equal to earth's orbital energy?

Since it takes 632 quadrillion 850 trillion megatons or 2 decillion 700 nontillion joules(2.7*10^33)to stop earth's orbit then we just need input 1 ton as our mass value and solve for the speed.

2.7*10^33 Joules=½(1000 kg)(X meters per second)^2

2.7*10^33 Joules/500= 5.4*10^30 = 5,400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (dividing)

X^2= 5,400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (find the square root of 5 nontillion 400 octillion)

X=2,323,790,000,000,000 m/s (the value of X found!!!)

That's 2 quadrillion 323 trillion 790 billion meters per second!

The speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s. So how much faster than light is a 1 ton object with earth's orbital energy?

2,323,790,000,000,000 meters per second/299,792,458 meters per second=7,751,329.08781

That's 7 million 751 thousand 329 times faster than the speed of light(with some decimal points)!! An incredible speed!

Since the arm is only 6 percent of the body's mass the real speed would be:

6% of 1000 kg= 60 kg

2.7*10^33 Joules=½(60 kg)(X meters per second)^2

2.7*10^33 Joules/30=9*10^31= 90,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (dividing)

X^2= 90,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (find the square root of 90 nontillion)

X= 9.486833*10^15= 9,486,833,000,000,000 m/s(the value of X found!!!)

That's 9 quadrillion 486 trillion 833 billion meters per second.

9,486,833,000,000,000 meters per second/299,792,458 meters pers second= 31644668.6594

That's 31 million 644 thousand 668 times the speed of light!(with decimal points)

At a second meeting years later, The Stranger recognize that Hulk was even stronger than before because once again, Hulk shrugs off the energy that the Stranger uses in an attempt to render him motionless in Marvel Two-In-One annual #2:

No Caption Provided

Here's Hulk doing a feat of great cosmic proportions once again:

Applying force to the space-time structure itself to prevent the Defenders from being absorbed into a fissure (Defenders#3)(with the size of the singularity estimated in about seven feets according to the Schwarzschild radius, then it's mass/gravitational attraction, by the equivalence principle, is thus equivalent to roughly two hundreds Earths),

No Caption Provided

Hulk matches power and withstands attacks from Galaxy Master, a foe with planet-splitting power, not once but twice! inincredible Hulk #112and incredible Hulk #270:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Savage Hulk vs Galaxy Master, from Incredible Hulk #112:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106977-4509850308-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106987-7972464345-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106991-0485539086-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106992-4296428300-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106993-2140588497-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106994-6344330095-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106996-7383400285-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106997-1192968099-Hulkv.jpg

Savage Hulk vs Galaxy Master rematch, from Incredible Hulk #270:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3107026-5743306301-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3107028-0115912921-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3107030-2244881414-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3107031-0906786844-Hulkv.jpg

One of the Hulk's sons, Hiro-Kala, has the power to throw a planet at the earth with planet-busting force with the use of two power sources known as the "old-power" and "new-power" but the Hulk resists his power in Incredible Hulks #615-16:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

World War Hulk vs Hiro Kala, from Incredible Hulks #615-16:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129710-1431243135-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129714-1832837720-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129718-7328902438-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129720-0614999214-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129721-4225204336-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129722-7496869874-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129725-8291447775-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129728-9381900523-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129733-8616919746-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3129736-8887919762-Hulkv.jpg

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need banned troll,someone just do same thing again and again, and these scans cant prove anything to do hulk could be move a planet or even close it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.