Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Pre 52 Superman and Greg Pak's Superman

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Are they really that different? I'm talking about the one in AC and BM/SM currently.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SaintWildcard
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I think Pak's Superman is way more reckless. The act now worry later mentality is something that I haven't seen in Pre-52 Superman.
    Example when he destroyed the machine that created energy out of creatures without thinking the consiquences an act like that would have in a world that was build on that energy and how it would affect the Sub-terrenian's look on the surface people Also I imagine after an act like that, the consiquences would be immidiate so, I really want to see that arc passing so we can return to the Sub-Terrenia(I always write this word wrong dammit.).. Plus for someone with all these senses and high IQ he certaintly asks for a lot of help, example when he asked Toyman's help in the last AC issue, which was an unecessary addition but Pak is pushing his characters (the ones he likes or revamps himself) but every writer does that. Also when he tried to break the barrier in the last issue, it was rediculous since it reminded me of that punch the energy beam DCAU Supes did, because he kept going and going and while it looked good, I think it made him look a bit dump for me :P, I think Pre-52 Supes in the same situation he would try to hear the sound rather than charge blindly.

But all in all they are pretty much the same with exception a few details.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Paks' Superman is little more reckless and.....straight forward. Other than than that, they're pretty much the same.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Superguy1591

Superman lecturing went down significantly in N52 and Pak. He's more a man who acts, less a man who reacts.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Squalleon

Superman lecturing went down significantly in N52 and Pak. He's more a man who acts, less a man who reacts.

He was never the lecturing type though, I don't know where do you get that :P

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: With Kara, he's always been the lecturing type, but he still is in the N52 so that's not a change.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: With Kara, he's always been the lecturing type, but he still is in the N52 so that's not a change.

Wasn't Vs the Elite a lecture?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Kara and Superman had a different relationship pre-52, the age difference was larger and Kara wasn't the annoying argumentative person she is now. They were a lot closer and Kara was more willing to listen to how this world works rather than push it aside.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

Not really, the elite challenged Superman directly, both physically and mentally. He just fought back and ended up as the winner in both areas. The Elite gave speeches too.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

Not really, the elite challenged Superman directly, both physically and mentally. He just fought back and ended up as the winner in both areas. The Elite gave speeches too.

But the entire end battle was a ruse. He staged it to teach them a lesson. Theoretically he could have beat them quicker.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@saint_wildcard said:

But the entire end battle was a ruse. He staged it to teach them a lesson. Theoretically he could have beat them quicker.

The Elite had gained a following, even if he beat them without teaching the world a lesson others would take their place or people would still believe in the Elite's way of things.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@saint_wildcard:

In my opinion Pak's Superman is like a 21-24 year old Pre-52 Superman. I can totally see him growing into the the Superman we saw in allstar or even in Birthright (birthright Supes was 24 in the beginning but turned 25 about 1/4 of the way through)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: @superguy1591:

Also guys don't forget Pre-52 Superman was going for 20+ years and for most of them he had 3 solo titles at least. So I promise you it is easy to find any kind of story there.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I've never liked their relationship.

You mean with Kara? Use the quote button so I know what you are replying to :P
    Anyway it is a lot better than the rediculous New-52 one. I mean the guy is the only family you have left, the only other Kryptonian, so yelling at him and distancing yourself is idiotic. I think Pak feels the same way because he writes them way closer than the previous writers did.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Squalleon

@saint_wildcard: If you want to enter Pre-52 Supes I suggest these stories. Birthright, Superman: Kryptonite by Cooke and Sale, World of New Krypton, JLA by Morrison, Camelot Falls(some love it, others not), Johns' Brainiac, definitely read Superman: Up Up and Away I think you will love it, especially the mano-o-mano between Luthor and Supes. Also Superman: Last Son, probably the best story from Johns' solo run.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like pak Superman.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By MakkyD

@superguy1591 said:

@squalleon: I've never liked their relationship.

Anyway it is a lot better than the rediculous New-52 one. I mean the guy is the only family you have left, the only other Kryptonian, so yelling at him and distancing yourself is idiotic. I think Pak feels the same way because he writes them way closer than the previous writers did.

Pak seems to be the only current Superman writer to remember the Superman family.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Superguy1591
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@squalleon said:

Pak seems to be the only current Superman writer to remember the Superman family.

Clark seems to appear in the Supergirl title, and I'm hearing good things about her title right now.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I hope so, Supergirl and Superboy were the weakest titles of the family so far. To the point that one of them got cancelled.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: I hope so, Supergirl and Superboy were the weakest titles of the family so far. To the point that one of them got cancelled.

And I'm glad it did. Cus with him went the whole CLois baby origin. We're getting a new Superboy with a new origin.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

And I'm glad it did. Cus with him went the whole CLois baby origin. We're getting a new Superboy with a new origin.

I think Kon is alive so I really don't know how they will explain two Superboys, except if they retcon the whole thing.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

@squalleon said:

I think Kon is alive so I really don't know how they will explain two Superboys, except if they retcon the whole thing.

From what I understand an army of Superboy's from the multiverse destroyed him. So yes, they retconned it .... somehow. I don't know how yet since I trade wait Superboy.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@saint_wildcard said:

@squalleon said:

From what I understand an army of Superboy's from the multiverse destroyed him. So yes, they retconned it .... somehow. I don't know how yet since I trade wait Superboy.

They destroyed Jon Lane Kent, I am talking about Kon-El who is alive at the end.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Pre-52 is an older Superman still. He has experience to fall back on. I look at New 52, and especially Pak's Superman, as one who is going through the motions. We are learning as he does, experiencing everything with him. It's so much more interesting to look at like that :P

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really late to this party, but oh well, guys above answered it all ;)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really late to this party, but oh well, guys above answered it all ;)

You weren't late, you were making a dramatic entrance ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.