Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Power Limits

Kyzuko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kyzuko

Does Superman have limits to his power?

Would he be stronger if he sun-dipped for 30 days than if he sun-dipped for 15 days?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By z3ro180

@Kyzuko: yes he would

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Icon

He does have limits (like needing to breath, sleep, etc) but generally his upper power levels (for strength, speed, etc) are astronomical. He is exceedingly powerful when charging up under sunlight and obviously less powerful when depleted, or when unable to get solar energy for an extended period. Without it his powers will fade away completely over time. This is because his cells act like solar batteries, soaking up that energy and fuelling his abilities. Without that source though he can't do stuff.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Press Oblivion

@Kyzuko said:

Does Superman have limits to his power?

Would he be stronger if he sun-dipped for 30 days than if he sun-dipped for 15 days?

I would think that he does have a limit but events in Supergirl 14 show her at the sun's surface with H'el and she states that she's never felt so invigorated or something to that effect. In the past, they have called him a solar battery of sorts. Batteries have limits perhaps Superman should too. A sun-dipped Superman equates to a fully charged level to me, a level with a maximum capacity. What the capacity is may be indeterminable.

@Icon said:

He is exceedingly powerful when charging up under sunlight and obviously less powerful when depleted, or when unable to get solar energy for an extended period. Without it his powers will fade away completely over time.

What's the time period? He needed a recharge in issue 13 but he stated that he felt like he could do more. I would like to think that it would take decades for him to deplete to human standards.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Icon

@Press Oblivion: Good question! I'm not sure how long but I too imagine it would take quite a while. As far as I know the amount of time it would take hasn't been clearly defined.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Press Oblivion

I don't think that it can be defined because you first have to set a limit for his power and a rate by which it could be depleted by what level of exertion. That is done to an extent with issue 13 but is ultimately inconclusive because we can't see how much he needs to recharge equal to the amount of how much energy was exhausted achieve that feat . . . . if his trip to the sun after that work out is any indication of how much he needed to replenish, I would say, not very much as it looks like he makes it to the Sun in a matter of minutes if not seconds. To propel himself at a speed faster than light would take incredible power.

But perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By colonyofcells

Superman really has no limits and is very similar to Sailor Moon who always becomes as powerful as the universes if needed at the end of story arcs to finish a story finally.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Press Oblivion

indeed.

adamrolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By adamrolls

yes it's limited by the writers' mood... 

• soaring through solar systems or just leaping tall buildings.
    • struggling to lift cars or moving planets with a casual expression
    • Not throwing plastic super wraps from chest or not throwing plastic super wraps from chest
    • Kryptonite weakens him instantly to the strength of a normal man or he can lift an entire kryptonite island with a the islands kryptonite penis pointed at his chest
    Personally  I subscribe to the John Byrne superman
    jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jobbernos

he has no limits.

Avatar image for herofromkrypton
    HeroFromKrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HeroFromKrypton

I think Byrne's Superman is limited by his willpower, similar to a GL. Byrne hinted at him having tactile telekinesis, which seems to be a much more versatile and limitless "version" of super strength than just having a dense molecular structure. I could more imagine him moving an entire planet that way than I could with his more traditional, pre-crisis power set.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jigen879

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.