Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Potential Superman event in June.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

It has to be better than the last since Lobdell is out. Also, it looks like Superman and Diana survive Convergence. I wonder how they're going to end them.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Self-DCeit

I'm game. Pak's Superman work hasn't been without its hiccups, but he's got all the makings of a defining run, so the more the Super line books play off each other, the better.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By SaintWildcard

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

upvote animated GIF

Cool beans. While I did enjoy DOomed and it did have some great concepts (I personally wanna see Superdoom return) I can agree the event was pretty hit and miss. Hopefully this time things are better. I'm surprised that the new guy is game for this. Could be the big wigs telling him so or he wants to gain some experience working with other writers. Also, WW fans are already annoyed that this might be a Superman centric story :/ Honestly I can see Lady Finch agreeing to a crossover with SM/WW and then they can get their WW centric story.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ALso, I tried posting as soon as I saw this yesterday, but it wouldn't let me.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

....another?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Ehh, what's the point anymore?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehh, what's the point anymore?

And you care why? You're not even buying any Superman books.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Took me all day to post on this thread because of CV's damn glitches. But finally I can. I had a much bigger post written out but to summarise, I really don't want another Superman event so soon after Doomed. Individual, self contained stories are much more satisfying and work better for writers than big collaborative projects IMO. It's tiresome and dreary to see the market get constantly oversaturated with damn event comics which try and make "the new status quo" only to get overturned by the next event. Bigger isn't always better with Superman comics and his comics need humanity, moral inspiration and nobility amongst other things which the New 52 Superman has lost from his previous incarnation.

Plus I was actually thinking of buying Pak's Action Comics after the June relaunch but if the Superman comics are starting with another event, I might not want to buy a comic where I need to read all the others to understand the big picture.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I expected they would give Yang time to breath before they drag him into an event.

*sigh*

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I expected they would give Yang time to breath before they drag him into an event.

*sigh*

Ditto, Yang is not the kind of writer who works best on events, he thrives on his own terms and stories. He's been talking about his own plans for the character but the first thing he does is work on an event?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

*sigh*

Ditto, Yang is not the kind of writer who works best on events, he thrives on his own terms and stories. He's been talking about his own plans for the character but the first thing he does is work on an event?

Assuming Pak is talking about an event and not promoting the Superman line just to raise excitement.

Yang hasn't worked again in a shared universe, I find it weird they threw him directly into a shared story or a build up to an event.

Also no matter how good an event is, the stories the writer would tell on his own would be certaintly better, that I am sure of.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @squalleon said:

*sigh*

Assuming Pak is talking about an event and not promoting the Superman line just to raise excitement.

Yang hasn't worked again in a shared universe, I find it weird they threw him directly into a shared story or a build up to an event.

Also no matter how good an event is, the stories the writer would tell on his own would be certaintly better, that I am sure of.

I hope it's the latter to be honest, there's still a chance it could be about new stories each of the writers is telling rather than one big one.

And absolutely agreed on the last sentence. It's almost always the solo individual stories which are better as works of comic book fiction than large scale event storylines.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can’t see much reason why Clark and Diana shouldn’t have survived Convergence (shrugs). New-52 Superman already participated in Convergence during his absence after entering “blackhole” in the end of Doomed, then reconciled with Diana in 12 issue of Soule’ run. Frankly I’m not sure that he even got to remember Convergence at all. Plus we already saw list of titles which are going to be cancelled after this event – SM/WW isn’t one of them.

Now, about this potential Superman event. Pak’s post can also been read as self-promoting “hey, lookie here, after Convergence things in Superman’ books are gonna get quite exiting, so don’t forget to read and buy”.

If this is actual event, I don’t think that this is the best time. Yes, Pak may write his upcoming Bizarro’s stuff as oneshot and Tomasi may squeeze ending of his current SM/WW arc in 17-th issue, but I prefer if Gene Yang’ll get some time to try his hand as Superman’ writer solo.

Doesn’t change much for me though, since I was going to read all these books anyway :-)

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toptom

Well i wished to see what Luang could do with the character on his own for a longer time especially considering for his first arc he has to probably follow up some of the geoff jhon's lines. However this isn't necessarely a bad thing,Doomed was pretty much a hit and miss but i still enjoyed it for what it was,a big,gigantic space story filled with great action and art...for the most part. One of the biggest problem with Doomed imo was its excessive lenght,some issue weren't really needed,but they were used to clean up a bit the mess that was forming: in some cases the less is for the better and i hope that this new crossover (if there will be a crossover) will be shorter and better structured. Of course now Lobdell isn't there anymore,no more scapegoat,so the authors must be careful because every mistake they do now it will fall upon their own heads.

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

*sigh*

Where? i searched for some interview on the internet but i couldn't find a thing :(

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

And absolutely agreed on the last sentence. It's almost always the solo individual stories which are better as works of comic book fiction than large scale event storylines.

The problem with the events is their nature. Writers forced to work together to create a story that must fit certain criteria.

I mean when writers TRULY want to work together they can create wonders,look at 52, but when it is forced it can be a mess, look at countdown or Future's end(which is pretty mediocre from what I hear).

@toptom said:

Well i wished to see what Luang could do with the character on his own for a longer time especially considering for his first arc he has to probably follow up some of the geoff jhon's lines. However this isn't necessarely a bad thing,Doomed was pretty much a hit and miss but i still enjoyed it for what it was,a big,gigantic space story filled with great action and art...for the most part. One of the biggest problem with Doomed imo was its excessive lenght,some issue weren't really needed,but they were used to clean up a bit the mess that was forming: in some cases the less is for the better and i hope that this new crossover (if there will be a crossover) will be shorter and better structured. Of course now Lobdell isn't there anymore,no more scapegoat,so the authors must be careful because every mistake they do now it will fall upon their own heads.

Where? i searched for some interview on the internet but i couldn't find a thing :(

Its not that the event will be bad. But as a rule, solo stories are usually better than events. And Yang is a new writer to that kind of writing, this is his first job on a shared universe.

Now, about this potential Superman event. Pak’s post can also been read as self-promoting “hey, lookie here, after Convergence things in Superman’ books are gonna get quite exiting, so don’t forget to read and buy”.

If this is actual event, I don’t think that this is the best time. Yes, Pak may write his upcoming Bizarro’s stuff as oneshot and Tomasi may squeeze ending of his current SM/WW arc in 17-th issue, but I prefer if Gene Yang’ll get some time to try his hand as Superman’ writer solo.

Doesn’t change much for me though, since I was going to read all these books anyway :-)

Agreed, this isn't Pak's first tweet about June. I think he is just promoting, since AC isn't doing well and Superman is a rollercoaster.

Agreed again.

This is his first job in a shared universe. I think building up to an event since issue 1 of his run is throwing him in the deep.

Avatar image for therealdavidsgoyer
    TheRealDavidSGoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to write a script based on this

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another event so soon???

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another event so soon???

Don't get excited :P

Its all a rumor for now. And Pak never mentioned an event.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:

Another event so soon???

Definitely not excited lol I'd prefer some self contained stories first.

And good to know, hope the rumor remains just so.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Yeah I got that, I was being sarcastic,hence the ":P"

Me too. For reasons said above.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By buttersdaman000

@buttersdaman000 said:

@squalleon said:

Yeah I got that, I was being sarcastic,hence the ":P"

Me too. For reasons said above.

Oh lol got it haha

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lvenger
    @lvenger said:

The problem with the events is their nature. Writers forced to work together to create a story that must fit certain criteria.

I mean when writers TRULY want to work together they can create wonders,look at 52, but when it is forced it can be a mess, look at countdown or Future's end(which is pretty mediocre from what I hear).

Man stories like those can be really unique comics at that. I wish we'd get something like that for Superman, the closest in recent decades was probably Our Worlds at War and that was an event at the start of the 2000s. Or that Superman 2000 proposal you really like? ;)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Man stories like those can be really unique comics at that. I wish we'd get something like that for Superman, the closest in recent decades was probably Our Worlds at War and that was an event at the start of the 2000s. Or that Superman 2000 proposal you really like? ;)

*Sigh* the best superman story never told.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

*Sigh* the best superman story never told.

Despite liking many parts of it, I actually have a few problems with Superman 2000 myself, despite it being Morrison, Millar and Waid's idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.