Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok. I LOVE Batman,Storm,Thor,WonderWoman,Flash,Aquaman,and The Hulk but not Superman BUT I WANT TOO!!! ;-( I want to like him I want to like him AS much as I SHOULD!! and get very interested in his character, but there are SO MANY THINGS ABOUT HIM that just turns the character off for me. This is what I don't like He is so ARROGANT!!! Flying and Walking around like he owns sh*% is annoying telling people what to do and if they don't do it I will blast you into space. He says he doesn't kill but if something devastating happens ALL your morals go out the window suddenly. Another thing is he is SO POWERFUL he has powers that doesn't makes sense for him to have. His only weaknesses is kryptonite and Magic that's it. It's no fun when a hero cannot be touched or beat the sh*% out of because he or her is too powerful. People PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG I am NOT trying to bash him I just want to try and understand him. The characters that I mentioned earlier are the ones I can relate to and some of them interest me a lot. So please help me show me scans show how vulnerable he can be show me that he really is relatable. There is SOMEHTING about him that I can relate to but this issue I have with him I want to get rid off. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND TIME.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: can't be beaten? Metallo, Parasite, other kryptonians, lex in a battle suit, imperiex, Mongul, doomsday, Darkseid, toyman, cyborg superman, mxyzptlk, silver banshee.

Arrogant? Superman is one of the most humble characters in comics, and in actuality could afford to be more arrogant when it comes to those who don't want to do better. If anyone is arrogant, it's @$$holes like Batman, Thor, Iron Man, and sometimes Green Arrow.

And he's arrogant because he flies? I don't wanna sound mean, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Is Iron Man arrogant for building that stupid suit of armor, thinking he's better than us?

Is Bruce Banner arrogant when he turns into the Hulk, thinking he's above our laws and can just smash anything? Hell, are people who travel in planes to get to places that they can't drive to arrogant?

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsaa: ok I can see where your coming from. Thats not what I meant about him being arrogant because he flies around wrong choice of words on my part.

As for the characters you mentioned as being more arrogant your correct although as for batman (PERSONALLY) not so much. But i understand what you're saying so far

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsaa: First off thanks for taking the time to help me. Now his powers he has no limits right? Now if the sun is giving him power is it possible he can get overwhelmed? Also you said he is very humble really!? Now that's very interesting to find out

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: when is he not humble? And he only sundips to increase his powers he faces a threat like Darkseid. And even when he fought Doomsday, his cells eventually exhausted and he "died".

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsaa: Hmm ok I see. I just saw the new 52 superman thread I am going to read more information of about him there. But if you have something else I SHOULD understand about him please let me know. :-)

Avatar image for twix_right_side
    Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsaa said:

@stormphoenix: can't be beaten? Metallo, Parasite, other kryptonians, lex in a battle suit, imperiex, Mongul, doomsday, Darkseid, toyman, cyborg superman, mxyzptlk, silver banshee.

Arrogant? Superman is one of the most humble characters in comics, and in actuality could afford to be more arrogant when it comes to those who don't want to do better. If anyone is arrogant, it's @$$holes like Batman, Thor, Iron Man, and sometimes Green Arrow.

And he's arrogant because he flies? I don't wanna sound mean, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Is Iron Man arrogant for building that stupid suit of armor, thinking he's better than us?

Is Bruce Banner arrogant when he turns into the Hulk, thinking he's above our laws and can just smash anything? Hell, are people who travel in planes to get to places that they can't drive to arrogant?

Lots of characters under different conditions can beat Superman. Wonder Woman can,too. So can Martian Manhunter.

Also,Thor is also a humble character. When he first came to Midgard,he was arrogant,but that is one of the biggest parts of his character development since his creation.

Iron Man also isn't that arrogant. Also,Iron Man's armor isn't really "stupid",considering that it's a necessary tool and...kinda the thing he's known for. You know? Building :p

And he doesn't really think of himself as better because of his armor.

@bsaa: First off thanks for taking the time to help me. Now his powers he has no limits right? Now if the sun is giving him power is it possible he can get overwhelmed? Also you said he is very humble really!? Now that's very interesting to find out

Wanna get into Superman,and catch his persona? I recommend cartoons that portray him well (like Young Justice,Superman TAS,etc),and reading his comics.

But he actually does have limits. He is not limitless in power.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twix_right_side: I have watched EVERY SUPERMAN show made I have seen all his movies I saw all the animated series. At first he come off to me weak because he was always getting beat up and it pissed me off. Then I was reading a comic were superman was a total jerk like he was above the law. But he holds back a lot and I understand why and I can relate to on that also.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bsaa

@twix_right_side: why did u reiterate what I pointed out in my comments?

And YJ Superman is Superman Returns level of awful

Avatar image for twix_right_side
    Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twix_right_side: I have watched EVERY SUPERMAN show made I have seen all his movies I saw all the animated series. At first he come off to me weak because he was always getting beat up and it pissed me off. Then I was reading a comic were superman was a total jerk like he was above the law. But he holds back a lot and I understand why and I can relate to on that also.

A jerk? Hardly. He's the type of person to always put others before himself,and hejust uses his power to protect people. He never really abuses it,so I don't really know which "above the law" instance you are referring to,although CIS (an example of bad writing) does happen from time-to-time in fiction,including comics. Basically,CIS means that a character acts out of character. It stands for "character induced stupidity".

@bsaa said:

@twix_right_side: why did u reiterate what I pointed out in my comments?

And YJ Superman is Superman Returns level of awful

Just reinforcing your points. :p

And some things were kinda off.

In YJ he was a jerk at first (although I remember him having a hard time accepting Superboy before),but he eventually accepted him and started acting how he SHOULD act.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By buttersdaman000

@stormphoenix said:

Ok. I LOVE Batman,Storm,Thor,WonderWoman,Flash,Aquaman,and The Hulk but not Superman BUT I WANT TOO!!! ;-( I want to like him I want to like him AS much as I SHOULD!! and get very interested in his character, but there are SO MANY THINGS ABOUT HIM that just turns the character off for me. This is what I don't like He is so ARROGANT!!! Flying and Walking around like he owns sh*% is annoying telling people what to do and if they don't do it I will blast you into space.He says he doesn't kill but if something devastating happens ALL your morals go out the window suddenly.Another thing is he is SO POWERFUL he has powers that doesn't makes sense for him to have. His only weaknesses is kryptonite and Magic that's it. It's no fun when a hero cannot be touched or beat the sh*% out of because he or her is too powerful. People PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG I am NOT trying to bash him I just want to try and understand him. The characters that I mentioned earlier are the ones I can relate to and some of them interest me a lot. So please help me show me scans show how vulnerable he can be show me that he really is relatable. There is SOMEHTING about him that I can relate to but this issue I have with him I want to get rid off. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND TIME.

He's not arrogant at all. In fact, he is pretty much the most humble comic book character to date, definitely moreso than the characters you mentioned. And yes, he does threaten villains but thats only because being firm and threatening is always a preferred tactic. If Superman can make someone surrender without violence he'll take that road every time.

I wouldn't say his morals go out the window at all. He's canonically killed 2-3 times and only in the most dire and extreme cases. A lot of fans would have you believe that these are affronts to his character, but I think the contrary. For someone with morals as rigid as Supermans, forgoing them for the safety of the people he's sworn to protect is the ultimate sacrifice, and shows that would do anything to protect lives. But thats just me, and that situation only works out if handled with extreme care IMO. The majority of the time I like my Superman just how everybody else does, morally unbreakable. But that's not to say that a Superman who has killed, is not Superman. I got a little off track, but yeah, you shouldn't get too hung up on that no-kill code. You may not know this, but Batman has a more rigid code than Superman.....

These are common misconceptions. Superman, while very powerful, isn't the most powerful. Actually, it's quite funny that you fault Superman for this when you list Flash as one of your favorites. Flash, my friend, is one of the most broken characters in comics. He is beyond over-powered. You also fault him for only having two weaknesses when the other characters you mention have none. It doesn't make sense to me....But anyways, magic isn't really a weakness, it's a vulnerability. He's not especially weak to it like he is Kryptonite or red sun radiation (his other weakness), he just lacks durability towards it. Meaning, on most occasions, magic will affect Superman the same as it does Batman. Though sometimes, he does seem able to resist so it's a slippery slope. And, concerning his powers, they do make sense for him to have. As his name implies, he is Superman. All of his physical attributes that he shares with us are increased to exponential levels due to his physiology. He doesn't have any power that can't be explained as a byproduct of this.

So, yeah, Superman is awesome. Go pick up a few comics and see how you like him!

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Ok I see where you were going with that. Thank You. As for flash I didn't know he was a broken character.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Ok I see where you were going with that. Thank You. As for flash I didn't know he was a broken character.

Yeah....read up on the Flash's, Wally West especially. All those characters you listed? Wally would solo them at the same time lol Superman included.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

@buttersdaman000: Yeah Wally is broken as hell, for no reason.

I think it has to do with writers using terms they simply do not understand. It's one thing to make a character a planet buster because that's a very straight forward context of power. However, with Wally, and Barry now as well, it seems like they just throw measurements out ignorant of what they really mean. Like Wally evacuating hundreds of people two at time miles away from a nuke in the second before it exploded. Or, Barry/Wally perceiving events in less than an attosecond.....cmon lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The ignorance in this thread.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You enjoy the likes of Batman, yet think Superman is arrogant, thinks he's better than everyone, orders people around, is a jerk, etc... Most of which describing Batman himself. If that's your way of thinking, you may be a lost cause when it comes to being a Superman fan. All of those notions about him are completely false. There are very few heroes as noble, humble, and as good a person as Superman is. And sadly because people don't understand him and are blinded by Batgod, Batman fans hate Superman, claiming that he's boring, overpowered, and so on. I can go on and on, but I'll just stop here, as a Superman fan I really hate negative opinions of him that aren't even valid.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dianaxkal: I wouldn't say I would become a lostccause that's why I'm asking you do give me a better understanding of the character.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DianaXKal

@stormphoenix: You're right, I'm sorry, I just get riled up sometimes because of some of the discussions I see around here. The internet is a harsh place, lol. A lot of people won't even give Superman a chance, so thanks for wanting to understand him! :)

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dianaxkal: I understand it's ok the internet is a harsh place people acting like jerks for no reason. And yes I do want to get to know superman give him a chance because I don't like superman, but I have no reason to because I don't know much about him. So I am asking you guys for help because he is cool and I do like him

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok. I LOVE Batman,Storm,Thor,WonderWoman,Flash,Aquaman,and The Hulk but not Superman BUT I WANT TOO!!! ;-( I want to like him I want to like him AS much as I SHOULD!! and get very interested in his character, but there are SO MANY THINGS ABOUT HIM that just turns the character off for me. This is what I don't like He is so ARROGANT!!! Flying and Walking around like he owns sh*% is annoying telling people what to do and if they don't do it I will blast you into space. He says he doesn't kill but if something devastating happens ALL your morals go out the window suddenly. Another thing is he is SO POWERFUL he has powers that doesn't makes sense for him to have. His only weaknesses is kryptonite and Magic that's it. It's no fun when a hero cannot be touched or beat the sh*% out of because he or her is too powerful. People PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG I am NOT trying to bash him I just want to try and understand him. The characters that I mentioned earlier are the ones I can relate to and some of them interest me a lot. So please help me show me scans show how vulnerable he can be show me that he really is relatable. There is SOMEHTING about him that I can relate to but this issue I have with him I want to get rid off. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND TIME.

No disrespect but it sounds like you made your mind up about him, and now you are trying to get people to convince you about something you already made your mind up about. I have a questions for you though.

" telling people what to do and if they don't do it I will blast you into space. He says he doesn't kill but if something devastating happens ALL your morals go out the window suddenly."

Bat man tells people what to do more than he does,

as well as the green lanterns, who gave themt he authority to police? Blue men? Why do they have the jurisdiction to do this. Superman more than one has stated he is not judge jury or executioner. He catches the bad guys and sends them to custody. There is a reason lex luthor is still a free man.

Thor...you can related to the god of thunder who's actual characteristic is being arrogant? but you complain superman is when he is not?

When has he blasted someone into space?

And if something devastating happens he does get mad, but when do all of his morals go out the window? I have seen him more often then not hold back from killing people who clearly deserve to die. It sounds to me you are basing all your facts off either man of steel, or comics that take place in another universe.

You said it's no fun when a character cannot be touched or beat, you say you like hulk but isn't that what hulk does, except he has no actual weakness? World breaker hulk took a step and almost destroyed a city...and characters can harm superman.

Why are you forcing yourself to liking a character you clearly hate. I can see this as you just shooting down people trying to help you and having them annoyed and you annoyed.Its OKAY to hate characters. I am just seriously questioning your motives here because most of your complaints are opinions from someone who doesn't know superman, and most of what you said are inaccurate or half truths. For example thor again. you complain superman is arrogant and can't relate to him. Thor is one of the most arrogant characters a live to the point where his father banished him, he previously got taken down by the rhino because of his arrogance, and almost blew up new york city fighting electro because he arrogantly went into battle without listening.... you seem to be a very biased person so forgive me for my assumptions

If you are serious though on actually wanting to read about superman....

read earth one superman volume 1 and 2
    superman birthright

kingdom come

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dianaxkal: I understand it's ok the internet is a harsh place people acting like jerks for no reason. And yes I do want to get to know superman give him a chance because I don't like superman, but I have no reason to because I don't know much about him. So I am asking you guys for help because he is cool and I do like him

you said you don't like him, but you want to give him a chance. but you have no reason to because you don't know him. Then at the end you say he is cool and do like him.

Wtf....

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Ok how can I say this.....superman has left a bad taste in my mouth. When I try to like him again I guess something happens or bad writing then I take his character the wrong way. I am serious of trying to get to know the character that's why I am asking you guys for. IF I wanted to bash superman I could here or in some other thread. But that's NOT my motive my motive is to get a better understanding of this hero and I want to know what you guys can tell me.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Ok how can I say this.....superman has left a bad taste in my mouth. When I try to like him again I guess something happens or bad writing then I take his character the wrong way. I am serious of trying to get to know the character that's why I am asking you guys for. IF I wanted to bash superman I could here or in some other thread. But that's NOT my motive my motive is to get a better understanding of this hero and I want to know what you guys can tell me.

well then those 3 stories involve a humble humanized superman who is not arrogant.

earth one superman volume 1 and 2 (some people like it some hate it)

superman birthright

kingdom come

Also Superman #709, where he has a nice heart to heart with flash in a diner about what he sees when he is moving that fast.

Good luck

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You most be talking about a completely different superman.

In DC he's probably the most humble and down to earth characters, there is.

Batman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Aquaman and other teammates from JL are way more irritating when it comes to an oversized ego.

Superman is the guy always holding back, the guy that tries to see the good in everyone even when their behavior is far from loyal, look at batman, always paranoid about everything, to the point that he created one of the deadliest weapons in DC, Brother Eye.

And Superman if anything he's full of flaws. Too trusting. He doesn't even knows the full extent of his powers not because he can't do it, he just doesn't want to.

Most recently, we have had villains all saying how weak Superman makes himself.

Psycho Pirate said he had the most powerful mind on earth, that it shined like a star, full of psychic power, but he either didn't knew how to use it or he just never thought exploring that power.

Even Luthor said it himself, during the H'el on Earth stories, that he wondered if Superman was weaker than H'el because he just failed to making himself has strong or if he simply did it on purpose.

Lets see, his weanesses are red sun radiation (not so much has in the pre-flashpoint version), kryptonite with all their variations (although writters don't seem to agree to which point, in some stories K puts him down immediately but in most stories he can handle it quite well), and has to magic, magic is the manipulation of the laws of reality, him being vulnerable, makes way more sense than Superboy having some resistance just because of his telekinesis.

In my experience reading Superman is that writters never come to common ground about how his powers work, what are their limits, and we never see a Superman just curious to find out all he can do, exploring the effects of being exposed to other sources of energies, like blue, white, or even neutron stars. Each writter has to much liberty to make him has powerful has they want him to be. And some times (too much really) that's what gets irritating about Superman. Just in the New 52, Action Comics, Superman, Superman-Batman and Superman Unchained, I've seen to many inconsistencies.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Please just read the story AllStar Superman. You won't regret it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.