Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Playing it safe with Superman

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jeremy1989

Folks, do you think the reason why comic book writers are having a hard time writing Superman, is because they're playing it too safe with the character?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

This is what they need to write good Superman stories

A- Get people who actually want to write for him and like the character. Yang had someone who wanted to basically make Superman into a bad ass and Tomasi has also sounded the same way in an interview I saw a while back.

B- Stop forcing them into events. The Superman writing office can't handle them. I love Pak, and he's written my definitive characterization of him, but the dude seems to struggle with events.

HOnestly, the last two events were solid conceptually, but it feels like they aren't in sync. I feel bad for Yang the most. The dude brought some hope out in people (not from me, don't really know the dudes work) and he got forced into an event with an artist who doesn't give two shits about Superman. When JOhns was with him, JOhns was the ALpha Male in that room, Yang is a young pup in the presence of a "legend".

Avatar image for johndanielmclemore
    JohnDanielMcLemore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989:

I think a lot of it all comes back to the fact that (He has more powers than he's supposed to), he's kind of like that kid you grew up playing with, and that everyone could only have 2 powers, but as you play he keeps giving himself like 20 more powers and it's like dude. What the heck?!? You can't have all these powers!!

He was ORIGINALLY supposed to jump far "Not Fly", he was supposed to lift 100 tons "Not 100 Planets", he was supposed to have small heat vision "Not a Kame-Hame-Ha", he was suppose to not be much faster than a bullet "No where near the Speed of Light". When they started getting 400 different versions of him, ppl got confused on the character as a whole. Is he supposed to lift 100 tons or 100 planets or what???

Idk why they just never made another character and let that new character lift 100 planets. Superman is "Earth's hero", and when you make an Earth hero, he can't be no stronger than a 100 ton lifter, otherwise he's just dangerous to be on the planet. Idk why they just didn't make new and stronger characters!?!

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naw we need new editors

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johndanielmclemore: So Superman grew and got stronger. That's happened to every hero since creation. Look at every hero on The Justice League and then compare them to their earliest version or even just Silver Age. Hell, Superman and Green Lantern have gotten needed since the Crisis.

There are plenty of new, similar, and more powerful characters. But Superman remains among the most popular and well-known, so like every other popular character he gets an update.

Your gripe applies to a lot more than Superman if it's just him being too powerful, which most readers would disagree with.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Lvenger

Getting the right writers, stopping forced events and adding to the Superman stories and world are all valid suggestions. But we all know a most crucial factor is the editorial behind the scenes in the Superman office. It's a complete shambles, mismanged, poorly handled and run by someone who, even ignoring the allegations against him, has long outstayed his welcome on the Superman board. Someone competent running the Superman line would be for the best but at this point, us fans would settle for someone new.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Superman's editorial staff needs to hire writers who know what Superman stands for and who he is, they have to be guys who like the character and would love to write his books and also they should stop making these non stop crossovers. Currently none of the writers who are handling the writing duties of any of the Superman books are understanding these basic concepts and are trying to force a take of the character which no one likes, needs or even interests them.

Avatar image for johndanielmclemore
    JohnDanielMcLemore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

What other character goes from 100 tons to 100 planets?? GL only makes that change due to diffirent rings and things of that sort. Superman does it for no reason at all.

I'm not griping about him being too powerful, I'm griping that he has WAY too many versions. You can watch a show or movie and never really know which feats they're using, because I watched a show the other day and he was struggling with Darksied, then a few episodes later he one-shotted Dooksday. "Like two totally different levels of power". They need to give him a base power and stick at that, not "New 52" then two episodes later "Pre-Crisis". It even makes it aggravating with debates, you have to always clarify which version of superman your talking about, with GL all you have to do is tell what ring and things like that, but supes "...."! People need to make clear what version of superman they're using. If they're using "Pre-Crisis" Superman to fight someone like Darkseid, and superman is losing I'll be like "Come on", but then turns around and one shots Doomsday I'll be like "That's right".

Marvels version of Superman is Thor, when thor makes major power-ups like superman does, Thor either goes into "Warrior Madnesss state", has "The Power Gem", or a lot of time has passed and he's now "Rune King"!! All of these are significant signs for readers "That this is no normal Thor, but a much much more powerful version"!! Superman gets no outfit change or anything, the only MAJOR change I saw was him as Superman Prime One Million.

Don't think I'm gripping about Superman, no, I absolutely love the character, he's my 3rd favorite superhero, and I don't think he's OP, I just think he has too many variations on his powers. When you watch him on screen or read him in a new issue, you have no clue what you're getting!!

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johndanielmclemore: Silver Age Lanterns were shooting planets like billiards. The only other Lantern was Sinestro with Yellow.

And again, these are points you have with any character that's been relevant for over 75 years. If a show changes things, that's just inconsistent writing. Different versions are used in debates, but most people here know there comics and this site has plenty of resources if not.

As for The, I'd say Wonder Woman is closer, but still, two totally different companies and characters. DC and Marvel do things differently. It is what it is. If you watch Superman on screen you're watching an adaption. Unless otherwise stated, if it's comic it's probably Post-Flashpoint.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't read too many Supes stories, besides having knowledge about his stories and villains, but as a start I'd say write him with a stable and consistently challenged mentally and physically by everything around him?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Wouldn't "safe" mean the minimum risks for sales? I don't know anyone who is enjoying Superman right now.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@tdk_1997: I know Mark Waid did both Birthright and Kingdom Come, which showed some level of understanding, but from what I have heard, I am not sure he will do more.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997: I know Mark Waid did both Birthright and Kingdom Come, which showed some level of understanding, but from what I have heard, I am not sure he will do more.

I am not saying that Mark Waid should return to DC for Superman, nothing of that kind. They should find a suitable writer for Supes beyond the ones who have already worked on him.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:
    @suemorphplus209 said:

I am not saying that Mark Waid should return to DC for Superman, nothing of that kind. They should find a suitable writer for Supes beyond the ones who have already worked on him.

Funny thing is, they're making it kind of hard when nobody is really picking up what they're putting down with the character these days? I mean, granted, I'd slap my momma (and apologize profusely) for the chance to write a Superman story. However, I can't imagine there will be that many comic fans that feel that way in another 20 years or so, unless they've been sifting back through the decades for stuff like Birthright and Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow, and possibly Superman and the Men of Steel.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989:

Quite the opposite actually.

If anything they've been stretching things to far in the wrong direction for a while now. And to be honest I don't like it one bit.

In none of his comics we've seen Superman really shine on his own.

Superman hasn't been seen pushing himself to new heights, new skills, new adventures. But only because writers for whatever reason chose to lead Superman down the mostly depowered road once again, only this time they added his secret identity being blown.

If they'd been playing it too safe, Truth and Savage Dawn would've already come and gone. But we still got this and next month till this for the most part nightmare to be over.

And after that there's no telling if they're gonna really start to make better choices, or if we're gonna get another year of poorly written stories.

So. No. DC hasn't played it safe. They've been trying old things but with new scenarios and consequences, and although I'm all for changes I prefer when they bring about a evolution of the character and not the continuous devolving we've seen since the Ulysses arc started.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989:

Quite the opposite actually.

If anything they've been stretching things to far in the wrong direction for a while now. And to be honest I don't like it one bit.

In none of his comics we've seen Superman really shine on his own.

Superman hasn't been seen pushing himself to new heights, new skills, new adventures. But only because writers for whatever reason chose to lead Superman down the mostly depowered road once again, only this time they added his secret identity being blown.

If they'd been playing it too safe, Truth and Savage Dawn would've already come and gone. But we still got this and next month till this for the most part nightmare to be over.

And after that there's no telling if they're gonna really start to make better choices, or if we're gonna get another year of poorly written stories.

So. No. DC hasn't played it safe. They've been trying old things but with new scenarios and consequences, and although I'm all for changes I prefer when they bring about a evolution of the character and not the continuous devolving we've seen since the Ulysses arc started.

This. SO very MUCH, the big aspect that ticks me off right now about Superman is that he doesn't operate solo in comics and they induce stupidity on him in the process. In all honesty, Superman having solo adventures, tasks is a good thing. Action Comics/Superman should have their own story arcs, separate from the designated crossover series. Hopefully they do it with the coming relaunch and new creative teams, because it has been annoying how much they have had to bring down Superman to make the other characters look good, much less avoid giving him solo achievements.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b01667a4f83
    deactivated-64b01667a4f83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904: This. SO very MUCH, the big aspect that ticks me off right now about Superman is that he doesn't operate solo in comics and they induce stupidity on him in the process. In all honesty, Superman having solo adventures, tasks is a good thing. Action Comics/Superman should have their own story arcs, separate from the designated crossover series. Hopefully they do it with the coming relaunch and new creative teams, because it has been annoying how much they have had to bring down Superman to make the other characters look good, much less avoid giving him solo achievements.

Agreed.

Personally, at this point (or rather, pending the Rebirth - however that's going to work), I think Superman should just cut all his ties with pretty much anything outside his own comics, save special featuring. Batman and WW have proven terrible marriages for his character… they always take away, they never give, because they have nothing to give. At least, not the way they’re being used. Same with the Justice League. There really is no point in him being on it. Literally only a few other heroes can realistically even keep up with him in any situation, and his power-set, even excluding the sheer level of it, is fully rounded and self-sufficient, and doesn't co-operate well with the League.

Besides, I can't imagine Supes would even want League buddies with him on dangerous assignments save when absolutely necessary - he's the guy with the invulnerable chest trying to protect everybody else.

So taking him off the League, will not only free him up to get his legend ticking again - it will give the other Leaguers a chance to step up and shine without side-stepping or treading on a large S-shaped monument. Two birds, one stone.

So, Batman (or whoever) can be JL leader if they want - Superman’s best off as a solo DIY superhero Ranger, who’ll take on supporting cast as needed and beneficial. If Bats and WW want to play, it should be by way of “Featuring”, I think.

If you want Supes to lead a team at any point, then create one for him, tailored to that purpose, like the Super League business they’re cooking up now. (Still think “Boy Genius Xavier Institute” makes more sense.)

While they’re at it, kill the whole "trinity" concept - I have no idea where it came from, but it's the exact same badness. Just because they're the three most well known DC superheroes doesn't mean they should get married.

Superman is not a team-character like one of the Power Rangers or Fantastic Four - he's a singular one, like Zorro or John Carter or Dr Who. Stop reducing him to serve characters he is not obligated to.

But I will say, I am actually curious to see how they handle the Super League business. Imo, Batman and WW can work as supporting characters to Supes under the right circumstances, but only if they’re willing to do that, and handle it well. That’s the crux of it. Be interesting to see what they do, in any case.

But otherwise, yeah – just make a clean break and rebuild, dudes.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904: This. SO very MUCH, the big aspect that ticks me off right now about Superman is that he doesn't operate solo in comics and they induce stupidity on him in the process. In all honesty, Superman having solo adventures, tasks is a good thing. Action Comics/Superman should have their own story arcs, separate from the designated crossover series. Hopefully they do it with the coming relaunch and new creative teams, because it has been annoying how much they have had to bring down Superman to make the other characters look good, much less avoid giving him solo achievements.

Agreed.

Personally, at this point (or rather, pending the Rebirth - however that's going to work), I think Superman should just cut all his ties with pretty much anything outside his own comics, save special featuring. Batman and WW have proven terrible marriages for his character… they always take away, they never give, because they have nothing to give. At least, not the way they’re being used. Same with the Justice League. There really is no point in him being on it. Literally only a few other heroes can realistically even keep up with him in any situation, and his power-set, even excluding the sheer level of it, is fully rounded and self-sufficient, and doesn't co-operate well with the League.

Besides, I can't imagine Supes would even want League buddies with him on dangerous assignments save when absolutely necessary - he's the guy with the invulnerable chest trying to protect everybody else.

So taking him off the League, will not only free him up to get his legend ticking again - it will give the other Leaguers a chance to step up and shine without side-stepping or treading on a large S-shaped monument. Two birds, one stone.

So, Batman (or whoever) can be JL leader if they want - Superman’s best off as a solo DIY superhero Ranger, who’ll take on supporting cast as needed and beneficial. If Bats and WW want to play, it should be by way of “Featuring”, I think.

If you want Supes to lead a team at any point, then create one for him, tailored to that purpose, like the Super League business they’re cooking up now. (Still think “Boy Genius Xavier Institute” makes more sense.)

While they’re at it, kill the whole "trinity" concept - I have no idea where it came from, but it's the exact same badness. Just because they're the three most well known DC superheroes doesn't mean they should get married.

Superman is not a team-character like one of the Power Rangers or Fantastic Four - he's a singular one, like Zorro or John Carter or Dr Who. Stop reducing him to serve characters he is not obligated to.

But I will say, I am actually curious to see how they handle the Super League business. Imo, Batman and WW can work as supporting characters to Supes under the right circumstances, but only if they’re willing to do that, and handle it well. That’s the crux of it. Be interesting to see what they do, in any case.

But otherwise, yeah – just make a clean break and rebuild, dudes.

I see Supergirl coming back for Super League, maybe also Superboy, and maybe others in the JL.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.