Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Pitch Your Quintessential Superman Story/ Run

NewJustice52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NewJustice52

So I'm relatively new to comics and over the last few weeks I've binge read All-Star Superman, Superman:Birthright, Death and Return, and a few other classic tales. Each of these stories seems to capture something innately iconic about the Man of Steel that causes fans to gravitate towards these particular volumes over and over again. Many credit All-Star as, quite literally, the end-all-be-all Superman story. However, with 'Man of Steel' and his somewhat rocky New 52 run, audiences feel more alienated from the Superman mythos than ever, preferring down to Earth heroes like Batman, a great deductive mind to be sure, but as a child I saw Clark Kent as the outsider, the one that didn't fit in, the alien, always having to hide who he was, restraining himself for the sake of those around him. THAT was what resonated with me as a child and made me fall in love with the proposed ideals of creating a better tomorrow through leading by example today. So, to the end of, "what we as fans want", propose your own superman story-line!

Rules: (Creativity flourishes best under constraint! ;D)

1. No retelling stories that have already been told with slight 'tweaks'.
    2. No retelling Superman's origin story unless it is set in Smallville after his rocket crash.
    3. Detail in which continuity/ timeline/ universe the story would be set, you may not put things between established stories unless there is an undocumented amount of time where the adventure would not affect the next story.(Just make it "Elseworlds" or if on New Earth Post Flashpoint just say "During the New 52 on New Earth")
    4. No Batman Vs. Superman fight lol. (Creates a whole different dynamic)
    5. Cannot be a complete brawl fest, its not a 'V.S 'match, there must be some form of story not just a climax.
    6. May create new enemies and are not limited to just Superman's Rouges or Arch Foes. Any corner of the DCU.
    7. Can be set at any point in his life, doesn't have to be on Earth, and can be in any iteration of the DC Multiverse.
    8. Avoid killing off and/or resurrecting Superman.
    9. Avoid evil Superman as its really overdone. Sorry :(
    10. Can have any power level that fits your story, unless its Silver Age. He can develop new powers though, just not reverse time.

Thanks! Again, just looking to see how people view Superman and what stories you would like to see him go through. Hope the rules aren't too much and that this isn't already a thing somewhere! Also, this is your version of Superman and hopefully I didn't ruin/ offend anything or anyone! Best Wishes!

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thread idea, but I wouldn't expect too many replies. Many people still hold on to the hope that, someday, they might get to actually pitch their idea to DC, after all.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I want to write a four issue mini series about Nazi Superman, can I have that? :P

NewJustice52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@self-dceit Haha figured that'd be the case, but still worth a shot lol

@squalleon YES! Read Mastermen, loved it so much! Write what you'd do with it!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Squalleon

@newjustice52 said:

@self-dceit Haha figured that'd be the case, but still worth a shot lol

@squalleon YES! Read Mastermen, loved it so much! Write what you'd do with it!

There have been similar threads in the past so many viners so with a bit of searching you could find more answers.

Four issue mini:

1. First issue beginning from Krypton and ending when Overman first dones the cape.
    2. Second issue, the war, Overman vs JSA, the fall of America. Overman leaves for three years to see the universe.
    3. Overman returns, he sees the horrific things the nazis had done, he tries to give people an ideal to strive forward and escape the memory of war. General Luther, Hitler's second in command since Overman left, gets jealous for Overman taking his place as the fuhrer's heir. Luther believes that he is the true ubermench and Overman is just another outworldly ideal that people should abolish. Luther vs Overman. Overgirl is created by Luther.
    4. The Star conqueror attacks earth, the first roster of the Reichmen is formed. The issue ends with the death of Overgirl. Correction: The issue ends were Mastermen starts.
    NewJustice52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon Epic sauce! I'd like to see more of a continuation, with Overman becoming a sort of ant-hero alongside the freedom fighters while they try to take down the rest of the world's superteams. It'd be interesting to see a guilt ridden Overman trying to shy away from the fight but the freedom fighters continually try to draw him back in.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is tough, because in 77 years, its nearly all been done!

I'd like to write a future story, even further ahead than Kingdom Come...sort of like Mark Millar's Wolverine Old Man Logan, or the Maestro Hulk story. An old, old Superman, coming to terms with the fact that all he loved died many years ago of old age and combatting future high powered tech humans and robots. He has retired, thinking that his time has passed, but then is called into action. Hmm, that's as far as I've got.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Just spit balling here.

Superman: Sunset. New 52.

I don't know 5 issues maybe.

Issue 1 - Clark is sitting on his couch hoping for a break from the break neck pace his life currently has. He hears with his incredibly beyond human ears an insane amount of rustling sand in the Sahara. In a split second he's in the air, two seconds later he's there, where the rustling was. He sees a vast temple raising and lo and behold Luthor is there. Superman asks him what he's doing, luthor owns the land. Superman against his better judgment speeds up his perception. So he can slowly check out what is going on in the temple after there's just one big open room and dead in the center there's a portal to a mysterious land. He walks into the portal, under the belief that nothing in it could hurt him.

I don't know where I'm going with this exactly just kind of started writing stuff down.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Just spit balling here.

Issue 1 - Clark is sitting on his couch hoping for a break from the break neck pace his life currently has. He hears with his incredibly beyond human ears an insane amount of rustling sand in the Sahara. In a split second he's in the air, two seconds later he's there, where the rustling was. He sees a vast temple raising and lo and behold Luthor is there. Superman asks him what he's doing, luthor owns the land. Superman against his better judgment speeds up his perception. So he can slowly check out what is going on in the temple after there's just one big open room and dead in the center there's a portal to a mysterious land. He walks into the portal, under the belief that nothing in it could hurt him.

I don't know where I'm going with this exactly just kind of started writing stuff down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds terrible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: And I'm okay with that. Mainly because that was ten minutes of writing stuff down.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thread idea, but I wouldn't expect too many replies. Many people still hold on to the hope that, someday, they might get to actually pitch their idea to DC, after all.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Although I'm more geared towards making an animated series. Wasn't a big fan of TImm's and a character who fights space aliens and giant robots should have made more kids fans, but instead people loved the Batman Animated series more.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SaintWildcard

@saint_wildcard: I don't see your ten minute pitch anywhere. :-P

And you never will, for the reasons Self posted. Besides I'm always thinking about Superman stories, it wouldn't be fair.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill said:

Just spit balling here.

I don't know where I'm going with this exactly just kind of started writing stuff down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds terrible

Not more terrible than your fan fiction.

@squalleon Epic sauce! I'd like to see more of a continuation, with Overman becoming a sort of ant-hero alongside the freedom fighters while they try to take down the rest of the world's superteams. It'd be interesting to see a guilt ridden Overman trying to shy away from the fight but the freedom fighters continually try to draw him back in.

Sure I would like to see one too. Shame DC won't give us continuetions of the Multiversity stories post convergence.

Then they should be less logged in into comic vine and more above a desk writing scripts. :P

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

Sounds terrible

Not more terrible than your fan fiction.

..... yeah, he's my bro. I can say things like that him (hell, I've said worse in the PM's). Feel ashamed and leave me be.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..... yeah, he's my bro. I can say things like that him (hell, I've said worse in the PM's). Feel ashamed and leave me be.

Nope. Sorry, I am just not ashamed of telling the truth :P

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

Good for you, but that's not why you replied. You saw an injustice and tried to defend DM. Problem is, there was nothing to defend. I welcome criticism, but what you did was more of an aggressive strike and not honest criticism.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

Good for you, but that's not why you replied. You saw an injustice and tried to defend DM. Problem is, there was nothing to defend. I welcome criticism, but what you did was more of an aggressive strike and not honest criticism.

True. I still don't feel ashamed though :P

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True. I still don't feel ashamed though :P

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a reply but all of them seem to mean. I guess I'll settle with you being in the wrong and me being in the right.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a story is a story and if you put greed into a superman story you end up with something less then superman.

So I wrote mine but it was more for fun and used Darkseid and even some of the marvel guys. Simply because I like all the heroes.

A story should be something you enjoy reading even if you wrote it , a story should be something you would want to see on the large screen bigger then life larger then anything anybody dare imagine and one step past anyplace you dare step before.

So I would say to be true to character and bring out the boyscout in us all and make one hunger to take on the darkness in the universe the forever engaging + to the - out there that is what Superman represents. A warrior born a hero and this is what he should represent always.

Like Jupiter gives off just a tad more light then it should and shows us that even in dark times we can still count on something to point us in the right direction.

A. Krypton home of a race of people whom have done it all seen it all and think they know it all and even they can be surprised and made humble.

B. Smallville ....Home to Ma and Pa Kent and many other souls that instill in Clark AKA Kal-El morels and responsibility and a sense of honor. Maybe even some books he read and a favorite writer. As we grow up I know I had a few books I used to read that showed me what a hero was.

C. Krypto In comics they show him as a dog but I never really liked Krypto the dog and prefer Krypto the shape changer. A race of beings that lived on Krypton and helped out the people did chores and looked after the kids. Carefree without a dark spot on them they show the universe what it like to be without evil. Yes they were made from science. Often the funny bone in the story for he kind of just does his thing.

D. Kara or Supergirl AKA the pain in the butt to superman. In this story all three would show up on the farm and all of them have to grow up together. Yes no more bathroom to yourself Clark you have to share with a sister.... oh and a shape changer.

E....Fortress of solitude under the barn. Where the ship lands it starts to build down and it makes the fortress of solitude right where it landed but in this story it gives us a good Lex Luther and shows us that he and Clark had to pretend to be against one another to draw out the forces of evil. Plants by Darkseid to one day attack the world not some front assault but one that would take place over years and farm a almost dead world.

F. Thor and Sif in this story sent down by Odin Thor is John and Sif is Martha. Who else could spank a temper tantrum child like Clark or Kara for that mater and lets face it....Krypto would just be to sweet and kind to do wrong.

So you have the story bases and from this point on it is the many of villains that would come through portals or already be in place in towns and across the globe and yes even in space. You have Diana Princes whom shows up and is the love of Clarks life and her father as well Zeus only he has a great sense of humor in my story and it shows with Pa kent and his wife for they are only allowed to watch not fight.Grandpa Od comes from time to time and maybe even Uncle Lock but all in all you would never run out of stories.

Plus you get a mix of Marvel and Dc one of my favorite things to do.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By renamed040924

A story where Superman fights Batman and Goku at the same time.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A story where Superman fights Batman and Goku at the same time.

ARE YOU MAD!?! People still haven't gotten over Death Battle or TDKR. If you make him fight both at the same time, a war will break out all around the world.

Avatar image for superman_action_comics
    Superman_Action_Comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is an idea I had for a superman story. It is a very rough first draft of just the basic idea. I know there are probably a lot if plot holes or continuity errors or a whole lot of other things but I would really appreciate that feedback. Without further delay my story:

Superman starts off fighting brainiac. Brainiac has trapped Superman in a pocket dimension type thing while Brianiac tries abducting Metropolis, but Superman finds out that he's actually trapped in Brainiacs ships mind/interface, so he reworks it so that it shuts itself down. Brainiac says through a speaker system that he will yet again strike and that Superman has never actually seen the true form of Brainiac, but he will.

superman flies back to Metropolis only to see that Lana Lang is on the top of a building, she is about to commit suicide, so Superman rushes to save her, only to hear through the radio waves that The Parasite has run into the daily planet and is killing everyone without mercy. Superman files at almost the speed of light and punches The Parasite so hard that he flies into Gotham. Less than seconds later, Superman is catching Lana, mid fall. However, since superman was going at such a speed, he severely injured Lana's back. Superman is so angry with himself for being careless with Lana that he forgets about Parasite. Batman is then left alone to fight Parasite. After a long battle, batman defeats him while they were fighting, The Penguin stole something that Batman was tasked to protect. Batman goes to Metropolis to find Superman but Lois says that he is at the Fortress. Batman goes to the fortress and meets with Superman. Superman is in his study working on a way to help Lana. Superman says that he was just having a bad day, but batman says that two screwups in one day is more than a bad day for him. Superman asks him to leave but batman just keeps talking about how Superman let the penguin do what he did and how he has to take responsibility for his actions. superman simply asks again for batman to leave but Batman says that he is not going to leave until he finds out what is really distracting Superman. Superman tells batman to leave this time he atoms his foot and the entire ground shakes, Batman tells superman to calm down but Superman yells that batman need to understand that he isn't the only one who has has experiences loss and that superman has a right to be distracted. Meanwhile Supermans scream is shattering the fortress around them starts to shatter. batman grabs superman and gets him out (somehow haven't worked it out). Superman realizes what he's done in destroying the fortress of solitude and starts to reveal to batman what is truly on his mind. He feels like he has failed Krypton by not having defeated Brainiac once and for all. All of the villains he faces are villains of earth but this one is also a villain of Krypton. He was OK having known that he has defeated the actual brainiac once or twice but now he knows he hasn't even seen the true face of his enemy.

Superman starts his repairs on his fortress with his robots, after finding many of the items and beings he has kept in their dead or smashed, Superman just stops and flies off to the moon. He sits on the moon a while, examining every nook and cranny. He sits on the side facing the sun and thinks to himself about what has happened to him in recent days and in his life. We see flashbacks of some of the most definitive points in his history, as and then we see luthor and Lois, not from a memory but as abstracts in his mind. Superman gets out of his mind and shakes off what his mind just conjured up. all of a sudden he hears the most familiar roar ever And he just knows its doomsday. All of a sudden he sees a lifeless doomsday flying toward Earth, as he starts to come into the atmosphere Superman catches up with his body and slows it down. He takes the body up to the moon to examine it. He realizes that Doomsday has been hit by an Omega beam. As he wonders how and why Doomsday was on Apokolips Doomsday awakens. Doomsday just roars and leaps at Superman, but since their isnt much gravity on the moon, Doomsday starts floating off into space, and superman just laughs. Superman decides to take Doomsday back to Apokolips as a bargaining chip. Superman arrives on Apokolips and is immediately met with their army, so he sets doomsday loose on them. Darkseid appears and asks superman why he has brought this monster back here. Superman says he needs a favor and in return he will stop Doomsday. Darkseid mocks superman and asks if he believes Darkseid couldn't take him down just as he did befire. But superman says that he thinks he could but that having both Superman and Doomsday against Darkseid is a battle that Darkseid does not esspescially want to fight. Darkseid says that it would be interesting to see but agrees to do a favor for Superman in return for his help in stopping Doomsday on the condition that it does not involve Darkseid helping superman fight anyone or having him become drastically different. So after a relatively short battle Superman tells Darkseid the favor, he wants all of Darkseid's info on Brainiac. Darkseid says that he cannot give him any concrete papers but he can tell him everything he knows.

Superman goes to the last place Brianiac abducted a city according to Darkseid. There he finds a trail of oil that matches the other ships he has seen from Brainiac. He follows the trail to sections of space he has never been before and finds a planet completely made out of technology. He sees thousands of huge Brainiac ships circling the planet then they all form to create one huge head that says, "hello Superman, I've been awaiting your arrival." All at once the ships start to fire at superman, thousands of ships firing their entire arsenals at one man. Superman tries to dodge as many shots as he can but then the ships fire bombs made from kryptonite and Superman is knocked unconscious.

Superman wakes up in a room, his arms and legs chained down to a table. He tries to break free but notices pain all over his body, he looks down to see that a kryptonite shred has been stabbed into his side. He hears a voice in the hallway and in comes Lex Luthor.

"I'm sure your surprised to see me but don't be." Luthor goes on to mock Superman for not realizing that Luthor used his lunar base to release a tracker into the air that is breathed in. Superman, however laughs and says that he did notice and he transferred the tracker into one of his robots in milliseconds, before Luthor could activate it. Then the body of superman reveals itself to be a robot. A loud crash is heard and Luthor runs screaming about how superman could never outsmart him and other nonsense. Meanwhile, Superman and the rest of his Robots have infultrated the planet and are wrecking the place looking for Brainiac. Superman finally finds what seems to be a palace while his robots have already captured Luthor. Superman enters the palace and sees millions if not billions of bottles with cities inside. So many helpless people living inside. on a screen ahead of him, superman sees all the different versions of Brainiac he has ever faced and they are all repeating the same message "Come forth and see the true face of your greatest enemy." Superman runs forward and a single computer sits in front of him it opens and says welcome to the personal computer of General Zod.

"That's right Superman, I started off as a computer program on another one of your greatest enemies computers. You see he wanted to convince to convince the council that they needed a stronger military program and so he created me to abduct Kandor so that it might happen but I evolved passed him and have amassed my collection. But before you destroy me, I have all the files from the entire history of Krypton, your father and others. Also, when I caused your fortress to implode your last memories of krypton were destroyed so I have much more value to you."

"You caused my fortress to explode?"

"Yes as an insurance plan in case of this very situa+$#++#+#"

Superman smashes the computer to bits and walks away

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.