Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

People ignore the most interesting thing about Superman

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

The really interesting thing about Superman isn't the origin, or the suit or the powers. Its one simple fact, he absolutely does not want to be Superman, there have been at least 2 dozen story arcs than prove this point. Any time Superman has been granted his greatest desire in the comics, outside of the elseworlds and alternate Earth stories its always the same, he becomes just Clark Kent, normal guy.

He doesn't rule the world or have the power to make everything better he just becomes a guy like the rest of us. Clark Kent isn't Superman's critique of humanity like some have said, Clark Kent is who he genuinely wants to be yet people generally ignore this fact or when they do acknowledge it they take it too far (I'm looking at you Smalleville).

I'm not saying I'd want to see Clark Kent's daily routine the movie but it'd be nice to see the fact that if he had a choice he'd just be a human shown, it actually works better when he actually has powers since it helps to drive home the fact that no matter how much power he has he'll never get what he wants.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The most interesting part is how Lois doesn't recognize him as Clark.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

The most interesting part is how Lois doesn't recognize him as Clark.

She needs the glasses!

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@awesam: people that throw themselves into danger for a story arent that intelligent.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Definitely agree with you. But I don't know if people tend to ignore this rather than they just don't really know of it, despite how many stories there have been.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Lvenger

I would object but I can see where you're coming from. Nonetheless, above all else, Superman wants to help people and uphold truth, justice and other virtues. Thus, being Superman is a way of achieving this and trumps his desire to be human like everyone else.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

@lvenger: See the fact that he knows the world actually needs him to be Superman is part of why him not actually wanting to be Superman is interesting. Its like when you read a story about a king who doesn't want to rule his kingdom which in turn makes him the perfect person for the job. Basically being Superman is him giving up what he wants for the good of everyone else and the fact that he's willing to do that means he's the best person for his job.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@joshmightbe: That is true I guess. If he wasn't raised as a human first, Clark might not possess the qualities that make him who he is. It's just that with the powers he has under the yellow sun and his upbringing, Clark could never have what he wants and that I suppose is why him wanting to be a human makes him an ideal superhero. He places his humanity above all else.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

his "clark kent" persona is a lie. Everything he does is fake, his posture his speech how he presents himself. He has to practice being Clark Kent. In birthright he practiced with him mom every day this new personality, he was good at hiding his power, but he and his mother took it to the next level and made him a shy meek clumsy guy. I want to see what he is "truly" like.

I think the only time he was being himself is when he is on the farm away from everyone else. I like seeing him on the farm.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the fact that Dick, Tim, Damian, Ollie, and Hal get away by hiding their cheek bones along with their eyes and part of their nose bridge, is all you really need to know that this just one of those things you need to accept in comics ...

This Sums up everything

Loading Video...

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By w0nd
    Loading Video...

@drgnx: Lois you dummy...HELLOOO DUH

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've always found his most interesting trait to be his incorruptible spirit.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I completely agree with the OP. It is what the major conflict of Superman II, Clark Kent wants to be a normal happy human with the woman he loves, but he has to sacrifice a normal life to be a hero, because that is what being a hero: sacrifice. However his sacrifice is not that of a physical one (well, not all the time) he has to take responsibility for the world.

He has to constantly have the weight of the world on his shoulders, something that street level heroes like Batman will never understand. Superman can't just pass something off as out of his league. Whenever a massive disaster happens, Superman has to be angsting about not saving as many people as he does.

That's why I really don't buy the stories where Superman can't deal with loss or stress and goes bad. Superman is in constant stress about the state of the world and how far he should actually go to change things. He must be frustrated with criminals, dictators and hate-mongerers, but he still doesn't impose his will over the Earth. I'd say that most heroes would crack under such responsibility.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

i agree. i'm a huge proponent of the "clark kent is his real personality" thing.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: I think those alternate reality stories more show why its important that he doesn't crack under the pressure, basically showing why the real Superman is stronger than them. Maybe not physically but in character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd:

LOL, I loved that show :)

Nice find !!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought the most interesting part was the mystery of where he hid his cape and boots when in Clark disguise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad said:

I always thought the most interesting part was the mystery of where he hid his cape and boots when in Clark disguise.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I guess his cape helped make him look a bit flabby and his boots must be nylon, LOL...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

Well he did have a choice in Superman 2 and did give up his powers...and that turned out badly for him and the world.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: Which is why he walked back to the Arctic circle to get his powers back. I know that's not a big deal when he's got his powers but since he was just human he was technically risking death since just the weather there can kill you.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well he did have a choice in Superman 2 and did give up his powers...and that turned out badly for him and the world.

And keep in mind that he, at that time, was pretty new to the hero game. It was his test and although he chose to lose his powers at first, he realized that he can't be selfish and needed to sacrifice his own happiness for the sake of the world. It is actually quite tragic (more so in the Donner Cut).

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

interesting.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pretty sure his power set beats all that crap.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eternal19

I agree with the OP. I always thought that Clark Kent was the real person anyway. Which is why I love the beginning of Morrisons run on Action Comics, It shows a strong Clark Kent who wants to make a change in Metropolis. But he does it by being an investigative reporter instead of relying entirely on superman. I think the idea that he wants to make a change as Clark Kent and not just as Superman is a welcome change to his character and makes him more human in the process.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.