Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Newsarama Scott Snyder Superman Unchained Interview

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

In an interview with Scott Snyder posted on Newsarama yesterday, a sizeable chunk of the interview talked about Superman Unchained's concluding and how Snyder intended to be written. One thing in particular is gonna stand as to who Snyder thinks understands Superman best in some ways.

Nrama: There are certainly some terrible images we see towards the end of that issue. Switching gears to Superman Unchained, can you talk about where this comic ended from where you and Jim Lee thought it would go? Did you accomplish what you set out to do as a storyteller with this book?

Snyder: Honestly, it's one of the rare comics that is endingexactly where I pitched it to end. It's very weird as there are a lot of times where you'll see a callback from issue #1 – the boy with the binoculars looking at Wraith, Luthor's paper folding, this notion of what the sun means, who Superman is, the satellite that falls in the first issue – a lot of the things, both visual and narrative in nature, are echoed in issue #9. That was all designed from the very beginning.

What Superman Unchained is all about for me – not to spoil it – is why I think Superman is great. It's meant to be a kind of challenge to the kind of conventional take on Superman, which is that he stands for "truth, justice, and the American way," that he's this monolithic symbol of all things that are good and right. To me, you start writing him and you realize he doesn't know what the hell he's doing half the time. It's basically trial and error. He's doing the best he can. It's not that he stands for anything; if anything, he stands for following your own moral compass even if that compass leads you to places that make absolutely no logical sense whatsoever. Spell your own doom. Why would you create a human identity, fall in love, or even grow affectionate towards all of your human friends and coworkers when you age much more slowly than them? In a few years, they're going to realize that something's wrong. Why would you ally yourself with nogovernment if you know every government is going to be building weapons to take you down if you interfere with a protocol of theirs? Why would you help with some things, some catastrophic events but not others like political oppression?

Superman, to me, is inspiring and wonderful because he isn't a straight beam of light that's always right. He's actually this zigzagging, trial-and-error beam of light, and in that, he's ten times as more inspiring than if he always knew the right thing to do. In that way, the last issue is very much about that idea.

One of the things about issue #9 I love the most – again, not to spoil it – is that I think the person who understands that the best about Superman, in some ways, is Lex. There's a reason why, and it's a fun secret we reveal at the end of the issue. So it really ends where I hoped it would end, and I couldn't be prouder of it.

Nrama: Now, in what ways has working with Jim Lee been different from your other artistic collaborators?

Snyder: I think in some ways it's a series where working with Jim is very different from any other artist I have where his strengths are so incredible when it comes to certain iconic moments. And he's great at small moments, too, but he just nails these bombastic, muscular actions. You know, those things that are just so …viscerally giant and surreal. So I wanted to end the story in such a way that would bring everything together in this sort of culmination where the Earth hangs in the balance, the superheroes are powerless, Lex Luthor and everybody is about to die, and it raises the stakes with the whole cast. And Jim really allowed me to go there. He added pages to this issue that weren't in the actual page count, but he did them, so he made it even bigger than it was supposed to be. I really couldn’t be any prouder of it, honestly.

I've been nervous about it at times because Superman has not been the character I've gravitated towards since childhood. I've loved him dearly, but Batman is always the one I've always felt an affinity for. If I had to pick a character to write after Batman, it was immediately Superman. But I'm scared writing him in the same way I was scared writing Batman. But what Jim has been able to do and where this story goes, I'm as proud of this as anything else I've done.

Nrama: One thing that stood out to me about Superman Unchained from the very beginning was that it seemed to operate outside of the New 52 continuity in the sense that the events taking place within the DC New 52 haven't really informed or influenced the narrative trajectory of Superman Unchained - it stood alone. This is something that has largely defined your writing style in Batman as well. Why take the story in this direction, and in a world where the various characters are interacting with one another, was it something DC was open to or did you need to "work them over" to have this happen?

Snyder: No. In a lot of ways, if you look at Batman, it looks like it operates within a lot of the DC Universe, but it's also pretty singular in the way it goes about things. I try to design stories where you don't have to read anything else to enjoy that story. I hate stories where it depends on you knowing what's going on in the other books to make sense of what's happening in that one. It doesn't mean I don't want to take pieces and share and be a part of a greater universe; believe me, I'm pretty aggressive in the "Bat World" to ensure we're all coordinated. I love knowing that it all makes sense. ButSuperman Unchained does take place in New 52 continuity as he's not at The Daily Planet. And at the end of it, it does sort of coincide a bit with what's happening in Geoff [Johns'] run in where he is with his feelings about The Daily Planet.

But if it means reflecting Ulysses or what's going on in "Doomed," who wants that? My feeling is that if I'm a reader and I'm reading Batman, do you really want Gotham Academy #1 to be saying "Guess what! The Joker's back!" No, you don't. If you do, honestly, I don't know what to tell you. What I want is books that are individuated and that have stories that they want to tell about these characters. Yes, they exist in the same universe, but they don't depend on you knowing what's going on in the other end of it. If something big is going on in Batgirl, I can reference if I want to be a nice nod, but if I had to reflect it…Well, for example, there was a big storm going on in Batmanonce. It was something seasonal in Batgirl, and editorial called and asked if I could work it into the story. I said, "If I can, I can."

Those things are nice. What's not nice is if in Superman Unchained I have him say "Thank God I'm back from being Doomed!" That's not nice. You don't want that. If you do, I apologize to all of you out there, but I'm not interested in that. What I'm interested in is being able to read a book like Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. I want to read a book like The Search for Kryptonite. I want to read a book like A Superman for all Seasons or anything that you read that is singular. Some of them happen in continuity, some of them don't. But eventually, you want to be able to pick up the trade or the arc and not remember that "Doomed" was going on at the same time or that "Infinite Crisis" was happening over here.

It was a conscious choice to make it in-continuity but not dependent on it - the same way I write Batman.

Nrama: You've spoken before about how if this was the one Superman story you got to tell, this is the angle you would take. What aspect/s of the story do you think stand out most? If readers are standing in a Barnes and Noble, maybe they're going to pick up Superman: Red Son, because they want this Elseworld's story exploring communist worldview on American superheroes. If they're standing there looking at a trade of Superman Unchained, they're going to pick it up because…

Snyder: It really is – and I love Superman. You're really getting me nostalgic over how much I do love Superman: Red Son. My top Superman books are All-Star Supermanat the top, Red Son, A Superman for all Seasons, I really loved Gary Frank and Geoff Johns' Superman: Secret Origins…there's a bunch.

What Superman Unchained has to offer is it looks like a classic Superman story in the modern age. It's larger than life and all that. What it really is, I hope, is a breaking down of Superman through saying "What you actually think about him isn't true. He's not this singular, inspirational sort of figure. If you look at him piece by piece, he's the opposite. But in being the opposite, he's more inspiring.

Someone who always knows the right thing to do and is always sure of himself…as you cut through them, there's only that facet to his character. To me, Superman gets described that way a lot. People say he's hard to write because of this element. When I approached him and began writing him, I felt he wasn't all about that. He's not like that at all to me. He's the guy who's trying desperately to figure out, case by case, what the hell is the right thing to do in these giant sets of circumstances with these astounding consequences falling on him if he does the wrong thing. Sometimes he makes mistakes, as you'll learn in the last issue, and sometimes he does the "right thing" based on the majority's perception of what the "right thing" really is.

In the end, what's really inspiring about Superman is he can go to sleep happy because he always does the thing he thinks is right. But there's this discrepancy between that and doing the right thing. Superman is fascinating because he does so many of the wrong things because he believes they're right. In doing that, he should be as big of an inspiration as any other American folk hero.

Source: Newsarama.

Thoughts on this interview? Is the damn issue gonna come out this month?

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hmmm...I'm gonna read this interview a couple of times over before i say something sure like Snyder doesn't understand Superman...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm...I'm gonna read this interview a couple of times over before i say something sure like Snyder doesn't understand Superman...

What's setting off your alarm bells in this interview?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@lvenger: he doesn't like what Snyder says about not standing for anything grandiose like truth, justice and the American way, but Snyder isn't wrong. Superman isn't political; Superman just wants to do what he believes is right based on his upbringing.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont think thats superman. Maybe new superman. but not superman i knew.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Well he stands for truth and justice, that much is evident from his morals and upbringing by the Kents.. But Superman isn't a political hero at all, he hasn't sided with one government since The Silver Age. And fans need to realise Superman stands for all humanity, not one country.

i dont think thats superman. Maybe new superman. but not superman i knew.

Believe me, I miss the Pre New 52 Superman too but Snyder's take on Superman in Unchained is closer to the classic and true take on Superman than anything else in the New 52. It reads like a Superman story that could work in the Pre New 52 era as well as in the New 52 timeline. Probably why I like it.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

…Something definitely feels wrong with the way how Snyder describes his vision of Superman (for me, at least).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lvenger

@papinacho said:

@lvenger: Well I think what Snyder is trying to say is that Superman stands for his own truth and justice. He doesn't seem to buy the absolutist moral code that is usually assigned to the character. Hence the point of not being a monolith, if there is only one truth and one justice then character can't change. If Superman stands for his own vision of what is right then that can organically evolve with the times.

Hmm that makes it sound better tbh. I had come to the view long ago that morality isn't absolute and is constructed by us to live and cohabit reasonably. And UNLIKE certain takes on the character *cough the other Snyder cough* it doesn't remove Superman's ethics or moral compass. It's just going to be very difficult to pull this off and Snyder isn't good at ending stories. But if he pulls this off, I will be very impressed. Snyder also made a nice comment in a CBR interview about how Superman is just trying to be the best guy he can be. That displayed a more natural understanding of Superman than what he says here.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@lvenger: he doesn't like what Snyder says about not standing for anything grandiose like truth, justice and the American way, but Snyder isn't wrong. Superman isn't political; Superman just wants to do what he believes is right based on his upbringing.

Thanks for replying for me but that isn't quite it...Superman not being political is common knowledge. Going on Snyder's explanation and what's generally been happening with Superman lately, 'the completely unsure Superman' isn't that a very scary thing?

And i'm not understanding how that is more inspiring. That last paragraph made no sense to me either. Also speaking of political alliance, does that and following the law go hand in hand? Have you seen Superman vs the elite? (It isn't the law according to superman) Based on what my view on Superman is i'm really confused as to what Snyder is getting at. If anyone can explain i'd really appreciate it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: This comment does a really good job of explaining Snyder's meaning in the Unchained part of the interview IMO.

@lvenger: Well I think what Snyder is trying to say is that Superman stands for his own truth and justice. He doesn't seem to buy the absolutist moral code that is usually assigned to the character. Hence the point of not being a monolith, if there is only one truth and one justice then character can't change. If Superman stands for his own vision of what is right then that can organically evolve with the times.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Nice catch with the interview. Snyder has a solid take on Superman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice catch with the interview. Snyder has a solid take on Superman.

I thought you weren't sold on Snyder's take on Superman mate? Last time we talked about Unchained, you had problems with it IIRC.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@lvenger: I had a few issues here and there with pacing, the delays probably didn't help, but I really dig Snyder as a writer. I feel like this contained mini-series isn't enough to fully analyze what he could really do with the character!

But yes, I still dig what he's done.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: I feel the same tbh. I actually prefer his Superman writing to his Batman writing. He's been underrated in terms of his writing quality.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When i tried to read superman in new 52 it doesnt interest me su was the first comic featuring supes interest me but now supes is solid in ac and superman

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: is there a preview for issue 9 cause I can't find one.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@lvenger: is there a preview for issue 9 cause I can't find one.

No not yet I'm afraid. It's been bumped back to November 5th or something like that so there won't be a preview for another week or two.

@toplel said:

I like it. There is no objective morality. Clark relies on coming up with the best outcome for everyone involved. And that's the most important part; you know hes got everyone's well being on his mind. And it's easy to exploit this, kinda like Lex does.

Another comment that makes me feel better about the ambiguous way Snyder stated things initially in this interview. Maybe that's why he'll have Lex say this closing epilogue about what makes Superman the way he is and how he acts.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By johnqestion

Superman not political? That is silly, one dimensional assessment because Superman does take sides. The world is not black and white. And he takes a side that usually is dictated by his way. You know instead of making stupid statements like that, why not write a story to show what that means? Instead he writes the typical Superman beat up bad guy story with many deus ex machina plot lines and he's not really addressed what it means to be Superman and how hard that could be. Want to see a Superman that is not political? Read Peace on Earth. But then that's not big and bombastic is it? It's heart breaking and realistic. Also what about that other guy who is so much a part of Superman? What's his name? Clark something or the other? Hmm, that guy who writes articles to shape world opinion. But Snyder does not address "Clark" does he? He's too busy trying to herald Lois as the greatest human and writer and mirror for Superman but ignores what part Clark plays. But many writers do that. Clark is so human blah blah and god forbid we see Clark's inner workings as a great writer and a crusader and not dependent about Lois or the Daily Planet. But a trail blazer by himself with words..

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

I like it. There is no objective morality. Clark relies on coming up with the best outcome for everyone involved. And that's the most important part; you know hes got everyone's well being on his mind. And it's easy to exploit this, kinda like Lex does.

See now this i understand. Either Snyder was being ambiguous or he framed his words very weirdly(doing the wrong thing makes him inspiring and helps him sleep better pfft). If Snyder meant what you've said here, then i can kind of accept what he's saying.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I understood what Snyder wanted to say even if at first glance was a bit eyebrow-raising. Standing up for your ideals, no matter which those are and where will they lead you is a quality that many can relate to.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@johnqestion: I haven't enjoyed his Superman much either, but he's not wrong. He doesn't mean that Superman is apathetic to right and wrong; he means that Superman is not a flag touter. If country A is committing genocide against country B, I don't think Snyder would have Superman ignore it and not pick a side. He means that Superman isn't what Frank Miller wrote. Superman wouldn't roll in with a military and perform military operations in the name of one country.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.