New Theme song for Superman?

#1 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Well since there is a new movie coming out I don't think that the Donnor theme will work for this new generation...What do you guys think? Me personally I loved this theme from the TAS   

#2 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, I could see that theme song still working with a live action film, but if I would have anyone do a new theme song for the new film it would have to be Hanz Zimmer. Dude's a genius.

#3 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: The song I posted? That's from the TAS.
#4 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: I know :P but I'm trying to imagine it a little darker and grittier, and a little slowed down to fit the tone of a live action film.

#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget: It is nice huh? The William Theme is good..but its a new generation and a new audience they are trying to attract...
#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll miss the one from the Donner movies, but yeah, I'm open to change. 

#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: Yeah, but how bad could it be lol

#8 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. The donner theme should be thrown out, just like the them Burton used for Batman was thrown out. It's played out. I think it would be silly to just keep reusing the same thing just because it's the theme used in the original movie.

#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Got that right.

#10 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the one from the Superman Doomsday... Also the one in Lois and Clark. But TAS is also one of the greats.

#11 Posted by Billy Batson (57783 posts) - - Show Bio

jk TAS theme is great.

BB

#12 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

-_-

#13 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: NO CHANGE!!!!!! I may not be the biggest Supes fan but his movie was the first superhero movie I ever saw so that theme has a sort of sentimental value. Besides how can you beat this?   
  This theme IS Superman's theme. As I've stated before you can change the actor and the costume but don't mess with the theme!
#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool: I respect you're opinion..but we have too change the theme..its about time...sorry man.
#15 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: I know. But I don't have to like it. Well okay I may like the new theme(IF they use a different theme) but the John Williams theme can never be replaced no matter how hard they try!!!
#16 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Dead Pool: You might like it..check out the one I posted
#17 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: Yeah the animated series theme is good but I highly doubt they'll use it for the new movie.
#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever it's gonna be, it's gonna be completely different. As in something we've never heard before.  

I just hope it's as memorable as Donner's or as good as TAS's. Cause if they were trying to make the theme from TDK as memorable as Elfman's Batman theme, they failed miserably. 

#19 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: Maybe Elfman..should make the Superman theme.
#20 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: No thanks. Elfman's good, but his style is more suited for darker audiences (ie. Batman and Spider-Man). Superman's music should be done by a composer who's style is brighter and more lighthearted. I'll see if I can come back with an idea. 
#21 Posted by TheMadMonkey (148 posts) - - Show Bio

With the exception of the Smallville theme, all the notable theme songs for Superman have been based off of John William's classic score.  The 3 notes that intentionally sound out "Superman" is in all of them.  Shirley Walker made a point of including the 3 notes as a nod to the genius of Mr. Williams and she still managed to freshen up the theme without taking away any of the grandeur.
As long as the theme is respectful of the character, I don't mind if it's changed.

#22 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Harry Gregson Williams or Howard Shore are good ones.... If only Jerry Goldsmith was still alive.

O wonder if the Fox would have new issues if Warner decided Nobou Uematsu (FF composer) did the music for Supes... :D

#23 Posted by Norusdog (203 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more concerned about them putting out a good superman movie moreso then I am about a theme song...

and I liked Returns.

It's a new movie...EACH iteration of Superman on TV.  Be it animated, live action, or a full high-budget film, has had a new spin on the theme.  This new movie should be no different.  Frankly as long as it's fitting I couldn't care less about them changing it.  And superman is my favorite comic character.

#24 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: Well...unfortunatly..for this new generation..Supes has to be a lil bit dark.
#25 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: Not necessarily. I felt the Superman that was in Birthright was just the right tone. He wasn't dark at all, but still serious enough on how to get the job done. Earth One's Superman wasn't bad either (a tad darker than Birthright, but great nonetheless). As long as he's not broody or over-the-top chipper, it should be fine. 
#26 Posted by Lvenger (18395 posts) - - Show Bio

You cannot get rid of the John Williams theme. You just can't. It is the defining aspect of the Superman movies. Without it it's just not the same, not special anymore. Please don't let there be a new theme :(

#27 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry dude...there has to...

#28 Edited by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Man, Super man 
Does whatever a Super can.   
Icy breath, X-ray vision 
Uses it to spy on women 
 Look Out!  Here comes the Superman!

Is he strong? Listen, bud. 
He's got alien solar powered Kryptionian blood. 
Can he fly, like a bird? 
Come on man, you've surely heard. 
It's a bird, it's a plane, no it's the Superman! 

In brightest day 
, at the scene of a crime, 
or in blackest night, 
he arrives, just in time! 

Super man, Super man
Lois Lane loves that Superman. 
Wealth and fame? He's ignored. 
Action is his reward. 
Look out! There goes the Superman!

#29 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith: win
#30 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7592 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to be difficult for the new theme I think, the Williams theme is just so iconic, more so than most and above any other super hero one. It's going to have it's work cut out but having said that I am very excited to hear what they do with it. 

#31 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Hans Zimmer?

#32 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

Agreed, I could see that theme song still working with a live action film, but if I would have anyone do a new theme song for the new film it would have to be Hanz Zimmer. Dude's a genius.

im with you on Zimmer. If they asked him to write a new song that combines the spirits of the Donner and TAS songs, it would wreck. But honestly i would let him do whatever the hell he wants...
#33 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim: Something new?
#34 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
@Grim: Something new?
Whatever Hans wants. New. Revamp. Remix. Acoustic. Dub Step. Whatever. That man knows his musics.
#35 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim: Indeed....We need...Welll everything new.
#36 Posted by Jameskid00 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

personally when I hear that song all i can think about is the boring ass opening credits that bugs the living shit out of me becuase its so freaking boring

#37 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

It was interesting the music for the trailer was from LotR. I know this sort of thing happens all the time but you would think they'd have enough cash to come up with something new, as well as the motivation to.

#38 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be nice if Williams did a new theme as the first one was great and the man still does great themes which suite the movie they are for so I could see him being able to modernise his theme up

#39 Posted by Postacrat (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing will ever replace Willaims' version, it's too Iconic. I never want it to change, people have become something I like to refer to as "Nowests", they have no perception of Timelessness. It's ok to change and adapt to the times, but all things new are not good.

#40 Posted by Overkill (404 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the old one, it's iconic but I'm pretty sure Hans Zimmer will come with something awesome.

#41 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as Hans Zimmer makes it sound heroic and it evokes emotion and the thought of superman im okay with it. but, the music is the least im worried about for the new superman movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.