Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New canonical powers for Superman

• 90 results
    Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

@powerwoman: Power is not all in a fight. They try to put her near him and skill makes up for it. Besides post crisis pre 52 moved planet by himself once, the other time was with Martian mannhunter and Wonder woman. Another time him and other kryptonians strugled to move pluto

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@bronze_surfer: Did the hal help superman?superman said add your power to mine,it's sound not only superman to push earth

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@powerwoman: Even better. I forgot about Hal so it was not fully about Superman power

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkkent12: No I mean she held back because her bracers restrain her power and Wonder Woman is not a savage contrarily to popular belief, she also holds back. I know she didn't beat Zod and Faora per se but this brief confrontation with them was the closest thing to a feat she accomplished since the reboot so we're pretty hungry. Now to be consistent with issue 5, in next month's Wonder Woman should square off with Zod and leave Faora to Superman which I know would have the lot of you cry blasphemy! because we can't have Superman in the supporting role can we

I'm a Wondy fan as well, don't let the user name fool you, I love Supes but I was glad to see him humbled at some point in the New 52... With that being said, I maintain he was holding back and if at full force he could defeat Zod in 1v1 combat; but getting trained by Wondy (something she's wanted to do with him since day 1) for the fight seems like the most logical next step in issue 6.

As for the Supes vs Wondy argument; she's stated he's probably stronger than her, if not the strongest being on the planet and just needs the combat skills to follow, which she is more than happy to work on with him.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkkent12: Superman won't learn in a few days what took Wonder Woman an entire life of hard work and sacrifice to master. That would be the coup de grace on the character of Wonder Woman, to have Superman literally absorb her own strengths.

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: Nobody said Supes has to match Wondy's skills after a few days of training, he just needs to learn some of the basics, since he is a quick learner and Wondy is a good teacher, he can display some of his newfound skills in the fight against Zod... Stop being so sensitive about anything WW-related.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkkent12 said:

@archizoom: Nobody said Supes has to match Wondy's skills after a few days of training, he just needs to learn some of the basics, since he is a quick learner and Wondy is a good teacher, he can display some of his newfound skills in the fight against Zod... Stop being so sensitive about anything WW-related.

and why can't Wonder Woman fight the strongest foe, why's that offensive to you. The difference between us is that, being a fan of Superman you have considerably less to be apprehensive about. Once bitten, twice shy.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: actually it's Wonder Woman fans who have issues cause their character will never be as powerful,well known,popular,or make enough money by their self to be anything but a A- character,that's why you come here and "have to set us right" when you don't see me going to wonder woman's board telling you all how it is.

Superman is in over 15 books a month give or take,and WW has one ongoing,a team up(that she wouldn't have without superman) and is a member of the JL team.

It's called envy,and it poisons those who know they will never truly be as good or better than someone else.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177: you got a little carried away there stephens. I actually like Superman, nowhere near as much as I love Wonder Woman though, admittedly. I liked the small town boy but that side of him is almost completely lost these days. Being the boss doesn't agree with the character of Superman imo and his new military-inspired uniform is foul.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: how did he lose being a small town boy?

Where is he the boss?

And the uniform is kryptonian,which he is,and he never got to experience being one,so you can't blame the guy for grabbing it and wearing it to honor that side he always wanted to know about.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stephens2177: Really?ww fans dont like wonder woman powerful?wow

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ArchiZoom

@stephens2177: He's the boss, figuratively speaking and his military-inspired uniform was designed by a terrestrial designer(s) employed by DC. Looking like a military general slash dictator really takes away from the boy-scout charm he's supposed to have. His mien changed, he seems douchier in that dreadful thing.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: not figuratively or any other way has superman been shown as "the boss",he has been shown as the most powerful though.

Wonder woman's suit,now and in the past was created by a terrestrial employed designer employed by DC,what is your point?

His suit doesn't take anything away from him,but it adds a futuristic and kryptonian feel to him.

He was douchier before he even found the suit,do you remember him holding someone over the side of a roof in the first issue of Action Comics?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is already overpowered no more

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ClarkKent12

You guys are getting carried away and off-topic, let me just go back and answer you're previous question.

and why can't Wonder Woman fight the strongest foe, why's that offensive to you. The difference between us is that, being a fan of Superman you have considerably less to be apprehensive about. Once bitten, twice shy.

I'm not offended by Wondy fighting the more powerful foe, I'm offended if she fights Supes fights for him; Zod is Supes' rogue and should be defeated by him, plain and simple... I'd be just as offended if Supes went out and fought Ares while Wondy was left to fight some lesser foe; see Smallville Season 11 for example, Supes ended up taking care of the Hades problem and although it was PIS to maintain Supes "there's always another way" stance, I'd still prefer Wondy deal with her own rogues.

Having help in a battle is one thing, ending a war for someone is another.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ArchiZoom

@clarkkent12: Faora is also Superman's foe so what the hell are you talking about. Should Wonder Woman sit this one out ? I didn't hear anyone complain when Superman trashed Apollo because he was 'taking care of his lady' and showing off his strength while doing so. However, if she provides him protection in any given situation, that's perceived as a horribly embarrassing position for a man to be in, like someone was saying yesterday.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder woman need fight some lesser foe,why?

Becuae since post-crisis,she was much weaker than superman

Superman just more powerful than Pre-52,wonder woman is weaker than Pre-52

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkkent12: Faora is also Superman's foe so what the hell are you talking about. Should Wonder Woman sit this one out ? I didn't hear anyone complain when Superman trashed Apollo because he was 'taking care of his lady' and showing off his strength while doing so. However, if she provides him protection in any given situation, that's perceived as a horribly embarrassing position for a man to be in, like someone was saying yesterday.

It's about the context in which the battle presides, if Superman fought Circe while Wonder Woman fought Giganta I'd be offended, I'd want Wondy would deal with Circe while Supes fights Giganta; but if Giganta was the only opponent, I'd want her to be beaten by Wondy... With that being said, Supes fighting Apollo was just to prove himself to the Gods, Apollo questioned Supes which makes it his problem and not just him 'taking care of his lady'.

I didn't think Wondy saving him from Zod/Faora was a "horribly embarrassing position" for him to be in, I thought it was refreshing and even stated it in the WW forum under the Issue 5 thread. I'd just rather Supes not take over Wondy's mythos and vice-versa, in Smallville Season 11, I hated that Supes dealt with Hades while Wondy was just left behind, impressed by his resolve.

PS: Stop getting so emotional, we can have a civilized conversation without getting upset about things being said.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkkent12: I understood what you said, I just don't believe you mean it. What's the point of this comic if they'll each separately fight their own enemies like they already do in their own homonymous books. I'm thinking the real reason is that Wonder Woman's not supposed to be powerful enough to fight Superman's foes whereas he should trample all over hers with one hand tied behind his back.

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: Okay so now you know more about me than I do, aren't you insightful... Sounds like you know all that you need to know, this conversation is worthless, good day.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PowerWoman

S/W would be fail

Superman fans belive wonder woman fight zod is PIS and break superman's strength

Wonder woman fans(or some feminism)cant accept wonder woman WEAKER than superman(man,you know)

They are together cant not become complete equality.or superman > wonder woman,or wonder woman>superman,No matter what kind of choice.it's would be become war

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rebuild walls vision

DUDE that would have been perfect for the man of steel movie

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkkent12: I understood what you said, I just don't believe you mean it. What's the point of this comic if they'll each separately fight their own enemies like they already do in their own homonymous books. I'm thinking the real reason is that Wonder Woman's not supposed to be powerful enough to fight Superman's foes whereas he should trample all over hers with one hand tied behind his back.

maybe this is just an insecurity within superman fans

I wonder what @gokuwarrior would think about this

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ArchiZoom

@marvel123: well they like superman more, I understand why they wanna to keep the status quo. I don't want Wonder Woman to be made more powerful than Superman either. Being the strongest man on earth is Superman's theme. But Wonder Woman should be in the same weight category, immediately below him, that's all I want. What message is DC sending women, if they have the strongest female in the world be nothing but a pale shade of the strongest male lol

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: off topic: lol a lot of the times that's how I think about super girl. a lot of people just look at her as being in the shadow of superman, or just his female counterpart. I see an opportunity for gender equality due to the fact that they share the same physiology (both kryptonian). but because writers always portray her as younger and inexperienced,she is never looked at as his equal (powerwise)....i kinda hate that.

for instance, hawkeye and black widow (two humans) are generally equal in abilities (great fighters, acrobats,ect), why can't that apply for male/female kryptonians.

i loved this scene, it showed that she could at least hold her own for a while.....i wish she would've handled it by herself, without supes.

Loading Video...

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman bench earth weight

Wonder woman is most strongest female in dc?well,maybe new 52 it's,(supergirl as strong as her too)but in history?No

And just because wonder woman cant lift earth weight so that was shame her?No

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: Well men are biologically stronger than women, they have more upper body strength. However, there's no real reason why the Kryptonian species has to be the same way but it is. As far as I'm concerned, Supergirl and Powergirl need to stay firmly below Wonder Woman in the pyramid of might lol

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom said:

maybe this is just an insecurity within superman fans

I wonder what @gokuwarrior would think about this

Do me a favour and do not quote me when you want to make a generalizing stereotype about superman fans... The last thing I am is insecure, so I'd appreciate if everyone stopped telling me what I think, if you want to know, ask.

As for how I feel about Superman's portrayal in relation to Wonder Woman; I want Supes to be stronger and Wondy to be the better fighter/strategist, I want Supes to rely on his abilities and strengths while Wondy relies more on her warrior-instincts... That dude/chic (Archizoom) telling me how I "actually" felt about WW vs SM was probably the stupidest thing I ever heard and I decided not to dignify the statement with a legitimate response.

Here is a post from the WW forum, under the thread: "SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN 5 your thoughts"

I love WW in this issue, they finally deliver on WW telling Supes that he needs her to train him and that power isn't everything, WW's background in war/fighting is on full display... Great issue.

I initially didn't like WW praising the crap out of Supes all the time, but I love how they set it up; WW believes Supes may be more powerful than her, but he isn't trained well enough to fight like she can.

That was prior to posting anything WW-related in this thread, so to say "I just don't believe you mean it" and then go off on a tangent telling me how I "really" feel is just plain stupid and shouldn't be encouraged by you or anyone else.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Give him Superman Blue's powers on top of his original ones.

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkkent12: lol, Hey, i quoted archizoom, and the only reason i brought up the insecure thing, was because archizoom told me that i was insecure in another forum.....i didn't mean to step on anyone's toes

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Zandalf

I prefer way used by Kingdom Come Superman and Wraith. With years, living under yellow sun, Kryptonians became stronger, more durable and fast and – maybe – in future even immune to Kryptonite. Along the way Clark also learns how to use existing abilities with better efficiency and in new ways.

Added in New-52 abilities, such like Morrison-Snyder’s gamma vision, Lobdell’s sonar vision, are based on already existing and fit into existing Superman’s concept rather nicely.

Now, I would add tactile telekinesis (with possibility after several decades to evolve it into full telekinesis). It would help explain how Superman manages to lift massive objects without them crumbling under their own weight. DC already tried this explanation in 90’s and even made Kryptonians to display such ability on several occasions.

Also I would like to see phasing ability. Not Martian’s density control, but “I’m-moving-so-fast-I-can-phase-through-solid-objects”. Kinda like Flash and possible, but not so easily done by Kryptonians. Again, there were a couple of instances when Pre-52 Superman used it, so it not exactly “new” ability.

Looks like we are on the same wavelenght regarding Superman.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this thread took quite a derailing…

@zandalf said:

Looks like we are on the same wavelenght regarding Superman.

Thanks for support, mate!

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ClarkKent12

@marvel123: I apologize if I misconstrued the purpose or intention of your post; since you quoted both of us, it just seemed as though you were categorizing Superman fans (myself included) as insecure homers in response to the interaction taking place between ArchiZoom and I... I may have reacted hastily.

Hopefully there are no hard feelings.

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By marvel123

@clarkkent12: lol no worries, I think archizoom is just really passionate about WW's character and just wants to see her portrayed well.....and hey there's nothing wrong with that.

I personally think superman should be stronger. Not because he's a male, but because of his kryptonian physiology (i'd like to think the same of powergirl and supergirl) but it's definitely Agreed that WW is a far better fighter.

ultimately, as long as there's a good story, i'll be satisfied

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Interesting.

ClarkKent12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123: Being passionate about your favourite comic book character is fine, it becomes an issue when you are dogmatic in generalizing an entire fanbase based only on past experiences or some level of insecurity about your own favourite character's portrayal. I don't care if she thinks WW should be the most powerful entity in all of the DCU, just don't call me a liar and tell me what I think about other characters in relation to my favourite character.

Again sorry to dump on you, just thought it needed to be said.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: when a Wonder Woman fan comes around and tells everyone that she is superior with no proof and at the same time trying to make superman seem weak and inferior,it's time to put them in their place,and defend superman,sorry if can't go both ways in your mind.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

After reading irredeemable it got me thinking, what if Superman's power set was that of the Plutonians?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.