Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New Action Comics #1 Cover Reveals Superman's New 'Old' Look [Updated]

• 121 results
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @G-Man
     Bibbo during Reign of the Supermen
     Bibbo during Reign of the Supermen
    This whole outfit just seems like a really ham-fisted attempt at trying to make Superman more relatable to the readers by making him a "down to Earth" kind'a guy. He's wearin' a t-shirt, blue jeans, and work boots. Next thing you know, we'll see him with a six pack and watching a Giant's game. That outfit reminds me of when Bibbo tried throwing his hat into the Superman battle during the Reign of the Supermen.
    This young Man of Steel story really sounds as if they are picking up right where Smallville left off.

The first part of that DC statement contradicts itself. How is it that Superman is struggling to adjust to his adopted planet if he was raised by the Kents? That would more be him struggling to understand this duel identity he only later discovered. That would imply that he was old enough to remember his life on Krypton (or wherever they are making him from now.). Though, how is it that he's that old and still struggling with that? You struggle when everything is new. Not when you've been living somewhere for a few decades.

These statements caught my eye:

" And in the SUPERMAN ongoing comic book series, by writer George Perez and artist Jesus Merino, will be set in present day continuity and will unleash a series of new challenges for Superman and his alter ego Clark Kent.
    * Clark Kent is single and living on his own. He has never been married.  "

This pretty much shows that it's a reboot and not a "revamp" as DC has been pushing. They call this "present day continuity". If you are removing one of the larger moments of the character's history and treating it as if it never existed. That's a reboot. A revamp is giving it a twist but it's still there. Not removing it completely.

" Timeless and modern, classic and contemporary, but younger, brasher and more brooding, this is Superman. The New Man of Tomorrow. "

That is the worst possibly cliche in an attempt to make a character more relatable. To make him "brooding" and angst-ridden. I feel as if I should laugh. They tried that in the 90's where publishers made all those brooding protagonists. How many of them lasted? That's Batman's bit. He actually has a reason to be brooding.

G-Man said:

" Before people grab their pitchforks over the marriage being nonexistent, I suggest reading the first few issues first to see if it matters. "

Sorry, but I have my metaphorical pitchfork within arm's reach. Just at the moment it looks like a glass of orange juice.
    Avatar image for thegalacticzombie
    TheGalacticZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The costume doesn't bother me.

I just hope the story doesn't blow... It's been a long time since I read a good Supes story.

Avatar image for the_peter_cosmic
    The_Peter_Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Joe_Amazing: My first thought was about that movie where his suit was made of the blanket in his space pod, it looks like there just wasn't enough of it to go around this time.
    Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104  Edited By Sekele
    @Omega-Man :  
    Actually, Superman was the world's first superhero even during the Golden Age continuity  

DC trying to shoehorn the Justice Society existing BEFORE Superman only made things unnecessarily complicated  

The JSA obviously never existed in this continuity, just as it never did in the Silver Age 
    As long as they keep the Society on Earth 2, I'm fine with this 
    Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105  Edited By Sekele
    @UnosInfinitos said:
    Why are the cops shooting superman?

For being a vigilante, obviously. 
    The last time I checked, it was illegal.  
    budonkadonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By budonkadonk

Ma and Pa are dead!?   They were always Clark's compass...  Kinda bummed about this item.
    UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By UltimateSMfan
    @maxicere said:
    I can't believe that people of DC play with Superman history. He's the first superhero, he's a world icon. I'm really angry. I really want to kick ass DC staff. I hope DC go to bankruptcy.
    Totally Agreed!! well not DC as a whole but the people who suggested this should go bankrupt!!
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By Calvin
    @UltimateSMfan said:
    @maxicere said:
    I can't believe that people of DC play with Superman history. He's the first superhero, he's a world icon. I'm really angry. I really want to kick ass DC staff. I hope DC go to bankruptcy.
    Totally Agreed!! well not DC as a whole but the people who suggested this should go bankrupt!!

You guys know that originaly Superman wasn't even able to fly, right?  
    The Superman you know, or knew, is the result of playing a lot with the original version of Action Comics #1!
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Eyz

From what I gather, one books takes place in his early carreer. The other in the current-present with the new status quo.
    'Fine with me -__-

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As someone who has never cared for Superman, I'll be interested in seeing how their changes affect my view of him.

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#111  Edited By Omega-Man
    @Sekele

I already get what they are doing but it's confusing to me who has followed Superman since "Man Of Steel" came out as his origin story. I don't think I like this aspect that he is the first Superhero in this continuity, so I'm guessing Jay Garrick and Alan Scott don't exist in this timeline either due to the fact Superman is the FIRST hero. 

My two cents about this is, Superman Earth One origin = much better than DCnU Superman origin. 

It's funny also that DC pretty much are saying they are trying to give lesser known heroes more lime light but in fact they have back heeled alot of lesser knowns anyway. 

Also I have to say it's kinda iffy sure Superman maybe the first hero but he can't be the first to show up with meta human powers Deathstroke is in his 50s to 60s and is a meta human. Unless his story has been compleatly been changed like Superman's has and now Deathstroke is a young man. (Still hate the new sword the revamp Dstroke has he must have stolen it from Cloud Strife from FF7)
    Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Night Thrasher

Heroes Reborn...DC Style...Still sucks

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#113  Edited By waruikumo

It's Grant Morrison, he's near incapable of writing a bad story (IMO). 

I am excited, however I still think this DCnU is one with in the "Multi-verse".  And that the pre-existing Crisis on Infinite Earths Earth still Exist.  This is just a re streamlining like what happened with the aforementioned "Crisis".   

It's hella interesting that Superman now hasn't been raised from infancy on Earth, It seems thats the biggest change,  and the assumed death of the Kent's.   

Maybe I'm a new gen of fanboys, but I like where this is going. Oh well to the old continuity,  good stories are good stories.  Although this superman origin is very Contemporary, and modern contemporary is disposable.

rosenkrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By rosenkrantz

Can someone explain to me the "new" chronology of the Superman, Batman and JLA series? Are they really going to be taking place in different time frames? Groan, I just don't see DC pulling this off. 

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#115  Edited By Dark Cell

that costume looks so bad its funny!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#116  Edited By Billy Batson

lol 

BB

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Static Shock  Online
    @mbembet: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it all, please...
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#118  Edited By Comiclove5

I have know Grant M. will make this a great comic.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    No Caption Provided
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Nova`Prime`: lol
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Primmaster64: Glad you liked it, wish I could take credit for it... oh wait I can... I posted it :)
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#122  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Hmm, sounds like it could make or break heavily. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.